The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    Well. I agree with Shurron. I was a little surprised when I saw Marcus giving the trump so much love. It's a mix of three that I don't think compliment each other all that well. Zelda seems to be a waste, and I can't see a prepared Citan taking all that long to take out Steiner or Lady, leaving him a very easy to work against trump. Just too much from Citan for the trump to overcome. Bad draw for them, I suppose.

And I will call the numbers in their predetermined random order. :p

2. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned (2) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (0)

Five

Figs 'n' Bran vs. Adelbert Steiner (FF IX) (forfeit)

Ate

Fina (Skies of Arcadia) TRUMPED with Ky Kiske (Gulty Gear) vs. Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time) (forfeit)

Two

Ky Kiske (Guilty Gear) (forfeit) vs. Riou TRUMPED with Jowy (Suikoden)

Nein!

Terra Branford (FF VI) (forfeit) vs. Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)

TEN!

Samus Aran (Metroid) vs. Jowy (Suikoden) (forfeit)

Which means ...

Beat me and get banned (5) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (2)

Seven!

Richter Belmont (Castlevania) (Prepared) vs. chaos (Xenosaga)
  3. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Sweet. Only one more proper victory for teams.
  4. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Hmm...Mega Man X prepped or Eiko to get the win against Shion or Tir prepped...
  6. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Except for Fei Fong Wong hitting the Forfeit as well, I think that went as well as it could have. Nice.

EDIT: Anyways, chaos vs Richter Belmont prepared. Seems to be a close battle, but never unclear that chaos is the winner, to me at least. Richter's used to dealing with the most unholy of creatures, not the holier than thou ones like chaos. chaos has the advantage at range with his ether attacks, while Richter has the advantage at melee range. I think Richter's plan would be to use the timewatch to slow chaos down and then assault him up close, but it won't work against chaos, due to his psychic abilities and teleporting. Even if he gets hit by the timewatch, chaos will still be able to teleport away, heal himself, and then counter from range with his magic.
  7. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm sorry, but after hearing this, I'm not sure I could vote anyone over Richter. Just... the skills. The SKILLLLLLLS!!!
  8. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] :_|

[face_shame_on_you] That's clearly non-canon material from fanfiction.net. So no dice here. :D :p
  9. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, right. I suppose I'll be serious for a bit here. Yeah, it's quite close, but Richter just doesn't quite have what it takes here.

Winner: chaos
  10. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned (5) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (3)

Six!

Eiko Carol (FF IX) vs. Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga) (Prepared)
  11. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, so arguments. Just fyi, though, I'm going to have an extremely tough time swallowing Shion as being powerful enough and/or fast enough to able to immediately pwn Eiko. And the EK needs to be summoned, same as what Eiko does, so... yeah, let's hear it.
  12. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Surely Shion can best what Setzer did to Eiko. :p :) Alright. Being prepped allows Shion first strike capabilities, and allow the Erde Kaiser to smash into Eiko unexpectedly. Whilst Eiko is recovering and reorientating herself, Shion can keep up the pressure from a distant with her Ether attacks, or up close where she has a greater advantage over Eiko. Not to mention that Shion can be equipped with the best equipment, such as Kajic Wrist to increase her defense and half Fire damage (useful against Phoenix), Kibisis to increase her health and Ether points, and Heaven's Door to reduce her EP cost to 1.

So while it may be a grueling battle between two healers, with Shion prepped to give optimum equipment and first strike, with the option of keeping up the pressure, I think Shion can squeeze out a win here.
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Coming to battle with Erde Kaiser already summoned? Is that allowed? And the Kajic wrist is a very rare drop from a powerful monster in the middle of a dungeon. Is she going to go try and kill it many times by herself with her prep time? Not to mention that the Heaven's Door is at the end of a long quest chain that requires you to go all around the world. And the Kibisis requires you to complete the database, which means flying all over the world looking for obscure chests etc...

Anyway if she preps to hold out against Phoenix then she has no defense against Madeen, Fenrir or Holy. I don't see Shion with a 'raise from dead' option, which Eiko has (two of, actually). Eiko seems to be the more powerful mage as well, and would ahve some automatic abilities like Reflect, Regen and Haste, and perhaps even Healing Touch, in which attacks heal her instead of harming, or the Summon Power Up. (Note: I had all of thse by the end of the game and I wasn't even trying very hard. I don't think powerlevelling is required).

Even if she does get damaged...Trance + Double Holy pwns Shion.
  14. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't say she would come into battle with it already summoned, I said Shion would use it as she comes into battle, and attack Eiko with it before Eiko could get her bearings on the situation. As for the items, I simply nominated the best looking, I don't know whether or not she could obtain them, but if not, then other items raising stats will still be good.

Eiko's "raise from dead option" (I've only seen the one, Auto-Life equipped ability) sucks, it brings her back with 1 HP. Even with Regen going a single attack could finish her off before she could do anything. And exactly which abilities would she have on without prep? While all those auto abilities seem ideal, what about the MP+ ones? And why would she have Auto Reflect, does she expect to be fighting a magic user? If she goes against a character devoid of any magic its useless. And yeah, you can have them by the end of the game without power levelling, but do you have the magic stones to equip them all at once?

In the end, Eiko is an unprepared 6 year old. A powerful one, but perhaps not the greatest mind to know exactly what and how to use all her potential options without prep. She'll be struck hard at the beginning, and will be needing to recover early on, which gives Shion more time to press the attack, and keep Eiko on the defensive. She'll be worn down and overpowered, and that small Auto-Life will do very little to stop the next attack.
  15. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    No, you learn them. You don't need equipment for them. Once they've been equipped for a certain amount of time, you can use them whenever you want. For example, say you equip the reflect ring. After 20 or so battles with it, you can use Auto-Reflect without the reflect ring on. Same with every other ability. That's what I was talking about having them by the end of the game, regardless of equipment. So she could turn on several of those (Been a while since I've played the game, but I usually had Haste/Reflect/Protect/Summon Power IIRC, plus whatever stats she got from equipment). Most of the powerful enemies in the game have magic, so reflect's fairly standard. (The other revive ability is Phoenix...there's a 30% chance it will revive you when you die.)

And Eiko's a summoner mage. What do you think she'll do if she sees someone casting some summon magic at the start of the fight. Stand there and take it? Erde Kaiser doesn't pop into existence after 1 second. Summonin takes time...Eiko could use that to whip out Protect or whatever herself.
  16. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Nani? I'm not talking about the equipment that teaches them the ability, I'm talking about the number of points needed to equip the abilities to use them. For example, Auto Haste costs 12, Auto Regen costs 10, Auto Life costs 12... she has a finite number of abilities she can have on at once. And a 30% chance for Phoenix? I've just been playing through FF9 testing out her abilities, and she's died around 20 times, and I haven't seen it once. I wouldn't rely on it.

And I would prioritise hitting Eiko with a surprise attack of some kind first. I'd leave it to Shion to exactly figure out what to use, since she's smarter than me and has more experience in these things.
  17. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, I just did some further research at it' 0.33% for every phoenix pinion you have. I had a fair few by the end so it came out fairly often. But it's when your entire party dies. Not Eiko.

I unfortunately can't find any data on how many APs Eiko has.

18. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, without prep I don't see her having many of those, and I wouldn't trust those odds.

It's relevant to the level. For example, my end-game guys around 50-60 have around 40-50 points, and Eiko who was at 41 had about 35 points
  19. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    Still debating this. Will have a judgment up tonight. In the meantime, if all draft junkees would check out this thread and give feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.
  20. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeesh. Almost forgot about this again.

Okay, so I'm gonna say that Shion does indeed squeak this one out. Eiko, to me, is a good deal more powerful than her, but I dunno that it's enough to overcome Shion's prep.

EK is a good summon, but it really is outclassed by Eiko's. Well, Madeen and Phoenix, anyways. Fenrir may be a tad inferior and Carbunc is a pure support summon that I personally never found any use for. Still, even if the drop she gets on Eiko only amounts to a couple seconds, it is significant. Shion's melee skills aren't uber, but they're adequate enough. Way above Eiko, anyways. She won't be blinding anyone with her speed anytime soon, but Shion's a good martial artist, and that MWS is pretty powerful. And she holds the advantage in offensive magic, where Eiko only has the one spell and three summons. Even if they're all pretty boss, it can't be too tough to plan around defending against only four attacks.

As for Eiko, I dunno that customizing her AP and skills like that would be an option. But I'm sure she would have the basics covered by default at least. Just to address one thing, though, auto-reflect, IMO, would be a huge mistake in this kind of situation. Why? Because it would seriously cripple Eiko's ability to heal herself and keep the fight going. Remember, if you have reflect cast on your characters, spells cast by the enemy get reflected back on them, but also, spells you may cast on yourself... also get reflected back on the enemy. So if Eiko had auto-reflect on, and Shion decided to hit her up close with non-magical MWS attacks and melee combat (or the EK, which isn't going to be reflected), Eiko's done. Shion's not getting any of her magic reflected back at her, and Eiko would just end up healing Shion if she tried to heal herself. And what else could she do? Without prep, she wouldn't have an item stockpile, so it's all magic for her and she's screwed. Unless she decided to cast reflect on Shion bounce her own healing spells off of her opponent, but she doesn't have that kind of time.

No, auto-reflect is a great ability should Eiko (or whoever) be prepped, so that they can stock up on items for healing, and also happen to draw someone who's got nothing or almost nothing but magic. It's not great in this situation. Auto-shell, on the other hand, is basic and plenty useful, and I could totally see Eiko having that at least.

Anyways, yeah, Shion just has a few too many options here, and I think she just barely manages to take out the more powerful Eiko.

Winner: Shion Uzuki
  21. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I started out favoring Shion, thanks to the prep. But, after arguments, I was leaning Eiko, and then I remembered about the downside of "Reflect" as Shadow pointed out above. And, how it only really reflects things that are 100% magical. It's really not as good a spell as it should be. All that said, that's going to swing my vote back to Shion, as I do think the prep gives her just enough of an advantage in terms of strategy and extra items.

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned (5) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (4)

FORE! Last one! Will it be teams, or a mod victory?

Mega Man X (Prepared) vs. Tir McDohl (Prepared)

I know how I'm leaning, but let's hear it guys ...
  22. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Alrighty. Mega Man X vs Tir McDohl, both sides prepared. I know very little about MMX's abilities, other than that he's a robot and has blaster arms. I'm sure Marcus can give us a rundown later. Right now, time to hype up Tir McDohl.

Bearer of the Soul Eater Rune, as you've seen me say a dozen times. It has two instant kill spells, which probably won't work on X, and two attack spells, Black Shadow, which does a moderate amount of shadow damage, and Judgement, which causes an extreme amount of shadow damage. Tir can also equip himself with two other runes, and have his weapon embedded by a rune to give special qualities. While there are several options to choose, I think the best ones to use are the Thunder Rune, which has 4 attack spells, two of which cause tremendous amounts of lightning damage to a single target (less than Judgement, Thunder Storm is greater than Thor Shot), and the Cyclone Rune. The Cyclone Rune has the spells Healing Wind, can heal a character fully (and is a low level spell), The Shredding, a moderate damaging wind attack, Storm Warning, magic is reflected (useless in this match...) and Shining WInd, deals wind damage slightly greater than Shredding, and heals the user for the same amount. Tir can then equip a variety of effects to his weapon, the best I think is a Flowing Rune, which gives a Regen-like effect to Tir for a small amount of health. (All descriptions about Runes can be found here.)

Knowing little about X, to me it seems best for Tir to continually blast X with his most powerful spells, and to heal himself when necessary. I don't imagine X having easy access to any type of healing or repair effects, but I figure that Tir can outlast X over time.
  23. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Actually, X can store energy tanks that will heal him back up to full health.

Also he has a serious amount of tactical experience, and a diversity of arsenal far beyond anything Tir has ever encountered. In fact, a shot from the Ice Blaster could totally freeze Tir and leave him to be pounded into shards. Or if he chooses to prepare for that, he's vulnerable to a fire shot, and I don't think anyone that is set on fire has the concentration to cast spells. X is far faster; with both prepared he can still get in close and smash Tir before he's got a chance to get a spell off.

I think that's key, actually. Tir has to stand around to cast his spells, MMX can just shoot Tir and be done with it.
  24. KiwiRogue Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, never knew that, considering I've only played Mega Man 2 on the NES. Conducting research into the matter, I notice he can have two energy tanks. That sounds nice... did I forget to mention that Tir can use Healing Wind, which has the exact same effect as your energy tanks, nine times? 9 > 2.

And yeah, Tir can prepare for Ice Blaster by equipping a Water Amulet to resist water based attacks, and he can also equip at the same time a Fire Emblem to resist fire based attacks, and increase his strength and defense. Or he could simply boost his defense much greater. After all, it's not like he can't operate after a fire shot, he's been dealt a great deal of damage by many powerful attacks, from the Emperor's Generals, from Barbarossa's Hydra form, from the Beast Rune, landed himself in critical mode and still continue to operate. Pain is nothing new to the Suikoden guys having to face against these bosses.

And Tir doesn't have to stand around all that long actually. Raise Left Hand, Soul Eater Rune appears, effect starts to happen and Tir can stop posing while the rune does its thing. And while being a Turn Based RPG doesn't exactly show Tir's proactive side, while the effect's going on I'm sure he can prepare for the next attack, or heal himself with some medicine, or some stuff like that.

(More later)
  25. Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mega Man X is different from Mega Man.

Also, he has a lot more than just ice and fire in his arsenal. Those were just examples.

Really, trying to argue that either one of these guys are going to prepare for specfic elemental attacks from the opposition is just completely pointless. They're not going to predict what the other is going to bring. Let's clear that up right now. There are more important factors to discuss in this fight than that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.