main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I was only mentioning the game, the energy tanks were in reference to Mega Man X6, it stated you can acquire up to 2 E-Tanks. And I know he has more than ice and fire in his arsenal, but those were the ones he brought up.

Speaking of which, I don't know what sort of high-end attacks X has, but they don't seem to be as powerful as the boss attacks Tir has faced, or as powerful as Tir's Judgement and other high level attacks. I believe Tir can deal a greater amount of damage to X than X can deal to Tir, and I believe that Tir can endure battle longer than X, what with his healing spells and his medicines compared to X's E-Tanks. And while agility and speed is a hard thing to determine in Turn Based combat, but he is well experienced in one-on-one duel scenarios, and is unlikely to be completely unable to dodge attacks.

So as I see it, Tir has greater attack strength, better durability, while X has better agility. X is going to be unable to dodge Tir's magic, and it will hit hard enough to force X to recover, and Tir can press the attack or heal as required.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Seriously though, does Tir have any defence against a speedblitz? Can he cast defensive magic at all? I really don't know. But if X, being the military tactician android he is, is forced to fight an opponent that has probably more raw power than he has, he's going to know the best thing to is kill him before he has the chance to use it. And as he is an android with the raw strength to lift many tons, he could just speedboost towards Tir (ZOMG AFTERIMAGES SO FAST LOL) and punch the puny human once in the face and knock his head clean off. Or use one of his superweapons. Or his lightsaber thing.

X has too much variety, experience, and speed to be taken out by Tir. Tir may be able to heal longer but he'll be on the defensive against someone that's hitting him continously. Heck, with prep, maybe X can get one of these wicked motorbikes and run Tir over.

3. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    A speedblitz argument? You already used one on Citan so he could take out Lady just like that, you've used up your quota for this round. :p He doesn't seem that fast to me. And afterimages aren't everything.

Tir can certainly raise his defense and speed high with optimal equipment, and use a rune that increases his defense further. But fighting melee would be a bad thing for X, as Tir is well experienced in such duels to be able to predict a Desperation-like attack, dodge it, and then counter attack. But he could also equip a Holy Rune to give him superhuman speed. Or use a Blink Rune. This allows him to teleport either himself or his opponent quite a distance away. It's a little random, but one way or the other it should keep X away. And there are still extra items Tir can have on him to help out, such as Mega Medicines to heal him up nearly full, and Sacrifical Jizos to automatically cure unconciousness state, much like Auto-Life.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've heard enough. I'm going with Mega Man X. Both prepped characters have versatility and power going for them, and I doubt either has a true edge in either of those categories. So, where I see the advantage is in the superior tactics of Mega Man X. I think his primary plan will be better, and his secondary plan will be better, and I don't think he'll have to get to his third or later plans. I think he has the power to execute his superior plans early enough in the match to get a big enough advantage to carry him to victory.

But we'll see if Shurron agrees or not.

5. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Alright, so here's what's what:

Dunno how much each guy's strategy affects my decision. Really, X doesn't seem to be so much better in that regard from what I can see. Tir's no dedicated strategist, but he's also no dunce, and he's a more than capable battlefield commander. Call this a push, IMO.

Variety - Yeah, X has a whole laundry list of past attacks to work with over the course of a bunch of games, but really, it's not all that diverse when you think about it. I mean, he gets a different "fire" attack each game, but really, in the end, they're all fire attacks. And there's usually a wind one, a watery one, and so on. There's plenty of unique attacks he's gotten throughout the games, but his arsenal may not be quite as varied as it seems at first glance. Meanwhile, Tir's got a lot of elemental attacks to work with himself. And some summoning and a few other interesting tricks that his runes can provide. Still, X has an advantage here in that he can come into battle with something like 8-10 completely different attacks, where Tir is limited to only three runes, and one of them is always the Soul Eater (not a bad thing). Edge to X.

Healing - Well, in every MMX game I've played (five of 'em, I think), X has had four energy tanks, not two. Still, Tir has more healing options that can keep him in the fight longer, including those Jizos. Edge to Tir.

Power - Sheer power-wise, it's gotta go to Tir. Guy's no dedicated sorcerer, but he's still talented magic-wise. Plus, of course, the Soul Eater is the most powerful weapon in this match. I don't see anything X can bring that could match it.

Speed - X has this. No, after-images certainly aren't everything, but there have been other indicators of his speed. Tir's not slow, but he's outmatched here.

Durability - X makes up for some of the ground he lost on the healing here. He just... won't have to do it as often. Tir can take his share of hits, but no, X is simply more durable.

Skill - Tough to call, because while they're both extremely skilled, it's still like comparing apples to spaghetti, just because of what they're skilled at. X has his ranged X-buster, Tir has his close-range staff. That right there could be an advantage to X, simply because he can keep damaging his opponent by playing keep away, while Tir has to get closer to do damage with his primary weapon. Still, if he can (which won't be easy, what with X's speed advantage) then it's great for him. X could get banged up pretty badly up close like that. Yeah, it's "just a staff", sure, but Tir's plenty strong, and that thing's damaged some pretty nasty nasties more than well enough. So, yeah, this is kinda moot-ish. Advanatge of skill probably to Tir, but a disadvantage in that it'll be very tough for him to exploit this edge.

Quality of opposition - I think that, overall, Tir's faced bigger and more powerful nasties in his exploits. However, it does have to be said that X has the whole "lone wolf" thing going for him. Tir, well, yeah, maybe he needed it all the time (though some of the time for absolute certain), maybe he didn't, but he always had backup. And lots and lots of it. And X, aside from the occasional assist from Zero, is much more proven as a single combatant.

Intangibles - Not too much here. Although, I do think that Tir would probably wind up being a little easier for X to prep for than vice-versa, simply because of the tech factor. Now, the Suiko world isn't exactly the Amish country. There's machinery, and you'll see the occasional gun. But something like X? Man, it'd be like Marty McFly and the De Lorean exploding all of a sudden into a room where Copernicus is trying to explain to some "scientists" that the Earth is not the center of the Universe. A huge or deciding factor? Nah, not really, but it's worth noting.

Overall - So here's how it breaks down for me, I guess. Both are going to have a great plan in place, Tir is more powerful and should have an easier time healing himself, while X is speedier, tougher, has a better range of w

6. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Bah humbug. I was so looking forward to colours and first pick. I mean, what's Marcus going to do with colours? :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

:)

Well done Marcus, you really deserved it (though I would've won in teams. It'd be close, but I'd win). Should've seen it coming when, after checking your track record, I noticed you never once had to go to teams. A very deceptive team, especially with the lackluster Power Level (they were good, but hardly great), but your midfield was just one big pile of awesome. Compared with my team - Top 3 great, JC turned out to be less useful than imagined, Strago and Steiner were alright, the Suikoden team great, and the back seat average, if not substandard. Ah well. Next draft I'll win. Got it all worked out, depending on what position I get now.

Thanks to Shurron and Inty for your commitment to judging and commishioning - you two kept this draft going til the end, and all of us appreciate it very much.

Thanks to Chim and Aragorn for making judgements when you could.

Thanks to Marcus, JediVegeta, dp4m and TheLighterSide for being good opponents in the finals, and to all GMs in general for making this a relatively successful draft.

Hope everyone has enjoyed this draft, I look forward to the next one, whenever that would be.

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    One starfighter, two comics, and one VG draft failure, and I finally get a win. Heck yeah :D

Good game Kiwi, I was sweating for a long time there. Especially if we went to teams, because yeah, I think I'd lose there. But for a squad that Shurron called 'good, but not great', I'm very pleased to ahve taken it this far.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned (6) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (4)

Congrats, Marcus. I'll update your title, but I can't give you any more colors. But, I will give you the honor of gamebanning Kiwi. I'll also turn the show over to you for discussing changes, lists, etc for next draft, since you'll be the next commish.

9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    OK people, time to get discussing ideas for next draft. Things that have been raised in the PMs Inty and I have exchanged:

16 GMs. That's a high number. We managed to get them all filled, but some rounds up to half of them were simmed. Now, this could be a factor of the very long length of this draft (7.5 MONTHS), boredom, or something else. But it was a problem. So, should we cut down to 12 with 6-team conferences?

Power List. Is it time to be scrapped? Will there be too many scrub teams? Should it be retained? If so, should people come on/off?

Also:
    The regular list. Anyone on there that is undraftable? Too many? Not enough? Character suggestions.

Any other issues you may have.

Personally, I don't want to cut GMs because we have a massive amount of undrafted characters already (enough to field 3 competitive teams, according to Shurron :p) and I don't like seeing that. But that's only my opinion, and I will be guided by you, the players.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well ...

I'd hate to see it go down to 12 teams. You could have some uber top-twos, even moreso than we had in this draft (Sephy-Xemnas, T-Elos-Kefka). I find drafts to be more fun when there's a greater challenge involved in piecing together your team.

The trick to speeding up the draft is in the judges. You need judges who will be on, consistently check the thread, and be ready to judge with or without arguments. And not complain and refuse to judge simply because there aren't arguments: sometimes you just gotta move on. With this finishing first and the new rotation proposal in C&G, this draft should have an advantage in getting attention, because the Comic Book Draft will be slotted behind it in terms of starting next. So, the people who have had attention divided between this draft and that draft will not be as divided.

As to the Power List, I can go either way. If you keep it, I think the two-per worked very well. But, I still say you throw 1-3 picks on there that have no business being on the power list, just to trip up n00bs. :p

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    A games manager won the games draft.

It is a glorious day indeed.

('grats, Marcus)

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pressure is now on you, me, and Jello to win a draft in our own forums, too, now. Thanks a lot, Marcus.

13. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
  14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Did I say that? Perhaps I did. [face_whistling] But I still stand by what I said about those missed opportunities. Could've been just downright wicked. Soki replacing either one of the PL picks, Celes instead of Edgar and Jin instead of... I guess Quistis. Yikes, man.

enough to field 3 competitive teams, according to Shurron

Ehhhh... I wouldn't call those first two teams "competitive", exactly.

But anyways, yeah, maybe a little bit of trimming to the list, and I'll have some suggestions for additions later on.

I vote no on reducing the number of GMs, but am I thinking I'd like to see what would happen if we take away the PL crutch at this point. Maybe.

15. CanadianRogue

CanadianRogue Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2006
    Stupid Game Bans, have to look up passwords...

Getting rid of the Power List altogether would be... interesting. Here's pretty much what we had left over:

Ashnard (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
    Croix (La Pucelle Tactics)
    Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa (FF XII)
    Galcian (Skies of Arcadia)
    Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
    Lazlo (Suikoden Series)
    Luca Blight (Suikoden Series)
    Noir (La Pucelle Tactics)
    Ramirez (Skies of Arcadia)

Seems alright, a lot of what is left is probably trash, Shurron's already addressed that Galcian, Ramirez and Luca Blight should have gone to somebody's list, and then a few like Lazlo who would make excellent 4th-6th picks. If we did keep the PL, keep it at two, worked quite well for this draft.

16. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I'd keep it at two as well if we were to go that way, but I'd prefer to ditch it. Just means more good characters going undrafted if we were to keep it.

I wouldn't mind trying out a 12 GM/12 characters thing, although that would also leave a lot of good, undrafted characters. Still, it would make for some stacked teams, which, personally, I've always found fun.

I'm not strongly for or against anything though, those are just my rather insignificant thoughts.

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm interested to see what would happen if we dropped the PL, kinda. I mean, the PL didn't stop SoCom drafting Kilik in the first round or SWF drafting Cyan. :p

18. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    So...no All-Stars this draft then? :(
    And congrats Marcus. :)

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I only got two ballots for the All-Star team and the awards, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

20. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Too bad. Ok then.

21. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Alrighty, I got some time today, so I figured I'd start scrounging around for additions to the list, and also consider some cuts. Should have my suggestions later on today, but first, so it's right here on the last page for easy reference, here's the current list.

Draftable Characters

Chrono Trigger

Ayla
    Dalton
    Flea
    Frog
    Lucca
    Marle
    Ozzie
    Robo
    Slash

Final Fantasy

Terra Branford (VI)
    Locke Cole (VI)
    Edgar Roni Figaro (VI)
    Sabin Rene Figaro (VI)
    Celes Chere (VI)
    Setzer Gabbiani (VI)
    Shadow (VI)
    Cyan Garamonde (VI)
    Mog (VI)
    Gogo (VI)
    Relm Arrowny (VI)
    Strago Magus (VI)
    Umaro (VI)
    Ultros (VI)
    Barret Wallace (VII)
    Tifa Lockheart (VII)
    Aerith Gainsborough (VII)
    Vincent Valentine (FF VII)
    Red XIII (VII)
    Yuffie Kisaragi (VII)
    Cid Highwind (VII)
    Zack (VII)
    Rinoa Heartilly (VIII)
    Quistis Trepe (VIII)
    Zell Dincht (VIII)
    Irvine Kinneas (VIII)
    Selphie Tilmitt (VIII)
    Seifer Almasy (VIII)
    Laguna Loire (VIII)
    Fujin (VIII)
    Raijin (VIII)
    Kiros Seagill (VIII)
    Garnet Til Alexandros XVII (IX)
    Vivi Ornitier (IX)
    Adelbert Steiner (IX)
    Freya Crescent (IX)
    Amarant Coral (IX)
    Eiko Carrol (IX)
    Auron (X)
    Wakka (X)
    Kimahri Ronso (X)
    Lulu (X)
    Rikku (X)
    Yuna (Final Fantasy X)
    Ashe (XII)
    Balthier (XII)
    Basch fon Ronsenberg (XII)
    Fran (XII)
    Penelo (XII)
    Vaan (XII)
    Marche (Tactics Advance)
    MontBlanc (Tactics Advance)

Guilty Gear

Axl Low
    Chipp Zanuff
    Dizzy
    Ky Kiske
    Millia Rage
    Potemkin
    Slayer
    Sol Badguy
    Testament

Killer Instinct

Cinder
    Eyedol
    Fulgore
    Glacius
    Jago
    Riptor
    Sabrewulf
    Spinal

Metal Gear

Big Boss
    Colonel Volgin
    Gray Fox
    Liquid Snake
    Psycho Mantis
    Raiden
    Revolver Ocelot
    Solid Snake
    Solidus Snake
    The Boss
    Vulcan Raven

Mortal Kombat

Blaze
    Cyrax
    Ermac
    Goro
    Johnny Cage
    Kano
    Kenshi
    Kintaro
    Kitana
    Kung Lao
    Liu Kang
    Mileena
    Motaro
    Noob Saibot
    Onaga
    Quan Chi
    Raiden
    Reptile
    Scorpion
    Shang Tsung
    Shao Kahn
    Sheeva
    Smoke
    Sub-Zero

Resident Evil

Ada Wong
    Albert Wesker
    Alexia Ashford
    Billy Coen
    Bitores Mendez
    Chris Redfield
    Jack Krauser
    Jill Valentine
    Leon S. Kennedy
    Mr. X
    Nemesis
    Osmund Saddler
    Tyrant

Street Fighter

Akuma
    Chun-Li
    Gill
    Guile
    Ken Masters
    M. Bison
    Ryu
    Sagat
    Vega

Soul Caliber

Abyss
    Astaroth
    Cervantes de Leon
    Edge Master
    Heishiro Mitsurugi
    Inferno
    Kilik
    Nightmare
    Siegfried Schtauffen
    Yoshimitsu
    Zasalamel

Suikoden Series

Jowy Atreides (II)
    Clive (I & II)
    Crowley (I)
    Emperor Barbarossa (I)
    Ferid Egan (V)
    Flik (I & II)
    Frey Falenas (V)
    Futch (I, II & III)
    Geddoe (III)
    Hugo (III)
    Jeane (I, II, III, IV & V)
    Chris Lightfellow (III)
    Lyon (V)
    Luc (I, II & III)
    Mazus (II)
    Neclord (I & II)
    Pesmerga (I & II)
    Georg Prime (II & V)
    Richard (V)
    Riou (II)
    Sasarai (II & III)
    Tir McDohl (I & II)
    Viktor (I & II)
    Yuber (I, II & III)
    Zerase (V)

Tekken

Jin Kazma
    Jinpachi Mishima
    Jun Kazama
    Kazuya Mishima
    Marshall Law
    Nina Williams
    Paul Phoenix
    True Ogre

Xenogears/Xenosaga

Bartholomew Fatimi (Xenogears)
    Billy Lee Black (Xenogears)
    Citan Uzuki (Xenogears)
    Dominia (Xenogears)
    Elly Van Houten (Xenogears)
    Emeralda Kasim (Xenogears)
    Kahran Ramsus (Xenogears)
    Kelvena (Xenogears)
    Seraphita (Xenogears)
    Tolone (Xenogears)
    Jin Uzuki (Xenosaga)
    Jr. (Xenosaga)
    Margulis (Xenosaga)
    MOMO (Xenosaga)
    Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga)
    Ziggy (Xenosaga)

OTHER

James Bond (007 series)
    Dark Link (Adventure of Link)
    Pimple (Battletoads)
    Rash (Battletoads)
    Zitz (Battletoads)
    Rayne (BloodRayne)
    Richter Belmont (Castlevania)
    Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
    Sypha Belnades (Castlevania)
    Trevor Belmont (Castlevania)
    Kid (Chrono Cross)
    Lynx (Chrono Cross)
    Serge (Chrono Cross)
    Lance Bean (Contra)
    Bill Rizer (Contra: Shattered Soldier)
    Lucia (Contra: Shattered Soldier)
    Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
    Crypto (Destroy All Humans)
    JC Denton (

22. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    My suggestions/question:

Would Lich King/Arthas be allowed? Also please include the rest of Organization XII!

23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Seeing as how we have no real way of knowing how much more powerful he is now, I still vote no on Lich King Arthas. Too much conjecture.

Almost the same deal with the other O XIII members. The ones seen in Chain of Memories, I mean... is there any real way to accurately gauge how good they are? Never played it, but it was like a card game or something, yes? Can we really judge their skills and abilities anywhere near as accurately as we can the ones seen fighting in KH2? And Luxord... he was purposely left off because the way he fights is just too off the wall and absurd. And possibly overly-cheap. Sora may have been able to kinda-sorta fight after being turned into a cube, but how many others can say that? Luxord really has the potential to get messy.

That's my take on those, anyways.

24. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Cidolfus needs to taken off the power list. The only reason he was ever a threat in the game was because he was prepared every single time for the enemy. Catch him off guard and he's just a man who'd hide behind his Summon, and might have some guns handy.

Vayne, on the other hand, took a lot of his stuff in stride at the end. Certainly I don't think he was prepared to virtually become demonic Magneto.

25. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    It's possible we could gauge the Chain of Memories O XIII members with the extra boss battles in Final Mix (though I haven't actually seen them, I'll reevaluate after watching them on youtube). And yeah, Luxord's not designed for these sort of battles.

While he would probably shoot up to Tier 1 or even Tier 0, I agree with Shurron on the matter of Arthas.

Will have to think about what new characters we could add...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.