main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captain-fantastic

captain-fantastic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2007
    The boss battles from the Chain of Memories Organization members are on youtube. Not really sure how much you can gauge from them, but they're worth a look if we're even thinking about including them.

And, yeah, I kinda like the format we have now with two PLers, twelve total characters per team.

2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Seymore (FF X) should be added I think.

And let's just do away with the PL.

3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, I'm leaning more and more towards ditching the PL. Overall, I just don't think it was ever truly a necessary thing in this draft, aside from being a crutch to basically tell people who the best picks were. And it didn't even really serve that purpose this last time around. It ended up being kinda messy in that regard. GRIEL???

I think this one can work without the net.

4. captain-fantastic

Jan 10, 2007
    It certainly would open the door to far more interesting team options, I think.

5. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Ok on Arthas.
    And I was thinking along lines of Final Mix Organization fights. Not COM. And how about Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X)? Not enough info on her?

6. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Agree on Seymour. Would be nice to have an villainous summoner for a change. And yeah, let's do away with the PL list.

Been looking through the Final Mix "Absent Silhouettes" boss fights. Mostly they seem doable, Larxene and Lexeaus definitely could work, Marluxia too, Zexion could be a problem similar to Luxord, and Vexen's a wuss, but then so is Demyx. Here are the links to the "Battle Reviews": Zexion, Lexaeus, Larxene, Marluxia, and Vexen.

Hmm... Yunalesca's a little tricky...

7. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Eh, Zexion was the easiest to beat while Luxord and Larxene I had to be at level 80 plus to give a good beat down...

Yeah, I mean, the only thing you can get from Yunalesca would be here cure/zombie magic and turning into some big Medusa-thing. I forgot what her second form was however...

8. captain-fantastic

Jan 10, 2007
    This may be a minor thing, but while Malruxia looks pretty powerful there with good durability, what about that thing where he doesn't actually hurt Sora? Looks like he just places a hit count that decreases as he hits Sora without affecting his health.

9. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    THAT! :mad: That was some sort of "doom", I believe. You have to do some damage to Marluxia in order to make the count go back up and give Sora more time to fight. If you don't, you die.

Forgot about Marluxia...

10. captain-fantastic

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, to me it's a pretty simple thing to say that Malruxia looks like he could pack a hell of a punch. But I don't know how anyone else would interpret it.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't really like Yunalesca because Zombie/Full-Life will kill anybody, and indeed whole teams, with absolutely 100% certainty unless they are somehow prepared and have access to something that will prevent Zombie. Characters with cheeseball attacks like that annoy me. Seymour's good though. I mean, Anima. That's nasty.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I guess I don't mind those other O XIII guys, then. Interesting. Though, I am still a little worried that it'd be adding a few too many more high-quality villains to the mix. I mean, I was able to piece together a villain-esque (couple neutral-ish types in there) squad just from leftovers, and I can practically guarantee that it would've been fairly competitive.

I dunno... maybe it's not really an issue, but now with Seymour as well (can't stand that clown) and who knows what other villains that might come into the mix between now and then... meh.

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    A good point, actually. I don't want to hit the point where we run into needing 10 villian teams to prevent someone steamrolling the competition ala SLAVE2. So, maybe we need some more heroes.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I got a few already. Still compiling an initial list of suggestions. And yeah, there'll be a few villains on there as well.

15. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Heroes, heroes? There should be some new ones...I mean, there are some new SOLDIERS in Crisis Core...but my copy hasn't arrived yet, so no clue if they are playable, what powers they may have and so on...

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm going to be useless on suggesting new characters. One of the perks of always being at least half a generation behind on new consoles, and not having a PC worth playing games on. :p

This is my thought on the power list: if you want to continue to attract new blood, having the power list isn't a bad option. It allows new players to have a mini-crutch, and will prevent uber teams from taking advantage of too many n00bs. Knowing that your first 1-3 picks aren't so bad allows you to then research with some confidence for picks around them. So, I think it's worthwhile to keep around. And while, yes, it hasn't stopped players from taking the powerhouse likes of Kilik and Cyan Garamonde in the first round, it has allowed those teams to somewhat minimize those errors, by reserving them a couple of lower-level powerhouses that they otherwise would totally lose out on for that first round gaff.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Meh. None of that is really worth keeping it around, IMO. I dunno, even down to two per team, I'm seeing several picks on there that just don't seem worthy of being on a limited list. And not just the obvious mistakes (GRIEL???). Like, for example, are Kain and Raziel really so much better than the best of the RL picks? Both are great, but I could think of at least a few RL picks that could potentially beat them, straight-up, no prep. So bump them up and demote Kain and Raziel, right? But even those picks don't really seperate themselves from the pack all that much and really don't seem like true PL picks either. It's just not like the Comic Draft, where there are more than enough picks that really do need be on a limited list. And I hate seeing good picks end up twisting in the wind for no real good reason. Not worth it just to prop up the bad drafters as I see it. Didn't stop... a certain someone from ending up with the worst record this draft by a fairly comfortable amount.

Anyways, I guess there aren't as many new characters for this draft as I thought out there. I could think of a bunch of new names, but a lot of them are just guys with guns in the end. Like, characters from Gears of War. Good game, but not much of anything to set them apart on the list. But this is what I came up with for additions so far.

Warcraft

Illidan Stormrage
    Tyrande Whisperwind
    Grom Hellscream
    Sylvanas Windrunner
    Jaina Proudmoore

Jade Empire

The Last Spirit Monk (choose Open Palm or Closed Fist)
    Sagacious Zu
    Death's Hand
    Sun Li
    Wild Flower (choose Chai Ka or Ya Zhen)

Castlevania

Juste Belmont
    Jonathan Morris
    Charlotte Aulin
    Soma Cruz
    Julius Belmont

The Agent (Crackdown)
    Genbei Jaguer Yagyu (Neo Contra)

Also, maybe we could give some thought to making up some "team" picks, like in the Anime Draft. I could see a couple groups perfect for it right off the bat, like the Deltas, or if we were to add the Gears of War guys.

I was gonna suggest some cuts next, but then I figured I'd see what you guys thought of team picks, since a bunch of those cuts could end up in some groups instead.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Illidan would have to be PL if he were kept.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I actually really like the idea of team picks, Shurron. I was thinking of a few that could go that way myself. I'd love to see what you have, though, first, so that I can be lazy and not think about the ones you already have. :p

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I've got some additions: Ghor, Rundas, and Gandrayda (all 3 from the Metroid Series).

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I like the team pick idea, they're a cool innovation from the Anime draft. Anybody got any suggestions for them?

22. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, I have some ideas. But I need sleep now. I'll see if I can find a few minutes tomorrow.

And I like those Metroid picks. Haven't gotten a chance to play Corruption yet, but they all seem solid. But would we be talking pre or post phazon corruption with those guys? or maybe a choice between the two?

23. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd personally kind of liked that one Jedi Draft with the Prepped Location choices.

I'd also recommend Jack and Atlas from Bioshock. Not breathtaking, but could take some matches, and could be of particular use in bring plasmids to teams.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In regards to locations, I much prefer what the last Comic Book Draft did. And I'm sure we could come up with 8-20 good Video Game locations to choose in such a manner.

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Okay, here are some ideas for some teams. And some cuts, while I'm at it. Also, even though most are perfectly obvious, we can figure out the actual names for the whole teams later. I'll just list the names of the individuals that they consist of for now.

First off, Killer Instinct. In order for them to be worthy of being picked, most all of them would have to be part of a team pick. Problem is, I can't find any kind of significant alliance between any two characters in those games, let alone three or four. There just aren't any combos that make any real sense. That said, if they can't be grouped into teams, maybe the whole KI crew should just be cut.

Ozzie, Slash and Flea from Chrono Trigger (Possibly a bit too powerful, but these are just initial suggestions.)

Laguna Loire, Kiros Seagill and Ward Zabac from FF VIII.

I'd also like to team up Fujin and Raijin from the same game, but the only one they make sense with is Seifer, and he's too powerful to be on a team. So unless we want two-person teams, they should probably be cut.

This isn't about teams or cuts, but maybe we ought to think about "defining" the FFXII crew. Like we'll specify that Basch is a pure melee, heavy armor, Knight-type of character, with little to no magic. Ashe would primarily be a white mage, Vaan a jack-of-all-trades, balanced type, etc, etc. Just a thought.

From Guilty Gear, I'd cut Axl Low, Potemkin and Millia Rage. I'd also add Judgment and Justice.

Revolver Ocelot, Sniper Wolf, Vulcan Raven and Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear.

The Pain, The Fear, The End and The Fury from Metal Gear.

Sonya Blade, Jax Briggs and Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat

Kitana, Sindel and Jade from Mortal Kombat

Goro, Kintaro and Sheeva from Mortal Kombat

I know more teams can be made from MK, but again, this is just an initial list. If we decide to go ahead with these, we can update the list and see how things look overall, and then we can make some teams if necessary.

Leon S. Kennedy, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield from Resident Evil. And cut Billy Coen.

Suikoden... I... don't have time for that right now. :p

Dominia, Kelvena, Seraphita and Tolone from Xenogears.

Pimple, Rash and Zitz from Battletoads.

Trevor Belmont, Sypha Belnades and Grant DaNasty from Castlevania.

Cut Evil Jim.

Cody, Guy and Haggar from Final Fight.

Fire Emblem may have some possible teams, but I don't know the game well enough.

Ax Battler, Gilius Thunderhead and Tyris Flare from Golden Axe.

Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess Peach from Mario Bros..

May not be popular, but I'd suggest cutting Kraid. The Rampage beasties as well.

Jubei Yagyu Akane, Ohatsu and Roberto Frois from Onimusha.

Enrique, Drachma and Gilder from Skies of Arcadia.

Boss, Fixer, Scorch and Sev from Republic Commando.

Those are my initial suggestions, and I could see a good deal more, especially if we want to have some teams that only consist of two characters.But I'll leave it at this for now.

Also one last thing. Should we maybe make an official ruling as to whether Sonic characters getting the Chaos Emeralds in just 24 hours of prep is even viable? Seems to me that it might not be. Maybe. I dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.