main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good catch, Shurron. I'll edit the draft post above to reflect WINDU being involved, and unfortunately, I'll have to bump the last person to sign-up off the list. But, they get first dibs if we need a replacement GM.

2. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    you should bump the bumpere of windu.
    they're obviously the sabatuer behind these machinations.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So Cloud is Spawn/Surfer now?

4. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Ah, crap, sorry, that was my fault. Must have copied the wrong list when I started the post... really sorry... :( :mad: :oops: :_| :mad:

5. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    And I wouldn't say it's quite that simple, Intykins. A certain new addition has turned the elite six into an elite seven, IMHO.

I couldn't agree more, their seems to be six or seven big bad boys who will be drafted like hotcacks before we get down to us lonethsome guys on the lower end of the list [face_worried]

6. Jerbaldo

Jerbaldo Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2007
    So, am I off the list, or is the bumper off the list?

7. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Your mum is off the list.

8. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    I think both of you n00bs should be knocked off. :p

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

9. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
  10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    you have been removed

would you like to stay on as a reserve gm, in case someone gets removed?

11. Jerbaldo

Jerbaldo Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2007
    I would love to.
    Thanks.

12. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000

Going with Hojo's precious son,

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

13. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    He'll serve you well. Interesting how they're going back to back this time.

14. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Having never played a FF game.

All these people go straight over my head.

Whats so good about them?

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Ridiculously big swords. That's about it.

Edit: And DAMNIT, I really wanted to build around one of those two. I'm about right in the middle of FF VI.

16. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Is it all to do with that guardian forces crap as well.,

17. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Well, for those two it's not so much about summons - here's a pretty good example of their fighting skill: Click.

Cloud also has access to a wide range of Materia (and thus, can have a number of extra abilities), and Sephiroth has other unique abilities.

But in the end its all about the fanboyism. :p

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The first round is so boring.

I'm gonna shake things up and pick Ryo Hazuki.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    ROUND 1

1 - Master-FatBurt - Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
    2 - dp4m - KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
    3 - JediVegeta - Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
    4 - EMPEROR_WINDU - On Teh Clock
    5 - StarWarsFreak444
    6 - Zizz
    7 - Evil_King_Wiggins
    8 - Master_Kast7
    9 - KiwiRogue
    10 - 694377
    11 - JediKnight20043
    12 - BaSSiL
    13 - EmpireForever
    14 - NightHunter319
    15 - TheLighterSide
    16 - MarcusP2

20. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I knew you'd pick a FF character. :p

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

21. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    I was bored, so I was fishing through the last draft when I came across the bit on prep time (courtesy of Shadow)

How I tend to think of prep time is as such:

The prepped combatant is given something, like, say, a small, not incredibly detailed file on their opponent 24 hours before the match begins. The file would have a name, maybe a picture, and just a general rundown on what he or she is capable of, and perhaps basic knowledge of any weaknesses, if applicable. The rest is up to the combatant. I'll take into account what they're capable of. Their intelligence, if they've shown proficiency at strategizing, if they're even capable of exploiting said weaknesses, and all the rest of that.

Prep is obviously going to mean more to some characters than others. And no matter what, I'll be judging these guys in-character. For example, even prepped, a person like, say, Simon Belmont is going to have trouble against characters that have high-tech weaponry, such as guns or whatnot. It's simply not something he's familiar with, and he really has no way to get familiar with it. That's what I mean by in-character. Now, if someone on his team were familiar with high-tech stuff, and the they went to a team battle, then yes, he could possibly prep against that stuff during the team's 24 hours of prep, since there's someone there to explain it to him. It's all very subjective, but that's the way it's gotta be.

As far as what it means in terms of a particular character's arsenal, well, that's just as subjective. It's gotta be taken on a case by case basis. A good example is given in the opening post. I would say that Link would come into battle with the Master Sword, hookshot, and the rest of his basic tools no matter what. But coming into battle with a bunch of fairies in bottles would require prep to gather them all and such. Also, optional weapons and items, meaning things that the game can conceivably be beaten without (The magic medallions, the Giant Sword, etc.), would probably also require prep for him to have with him in battle.

Stocking up on usable items would require prep. For a FFVII character to come into battle with anything more than the most basic of materia would require prep. For a FFVIII character to come into battle with a strong GF junctioned to them would require prep. Things like that.

And even then, certain very optional and very overpowered types of weapons I'll most likely not be taking into account at all for the sake of balance. Specifically which? Well, off the top of my head, certain zuber-powerful materia and ridiculous materia combonations that only the hardest of hardcore gamerz even know about come to mind.

Also, vehicles. I'll take vehicles into account also on a case by case basis. I think I gave this example last time: Master Chief in a Warthog or Ghost or maybe (and I do mean maybe) even a Banshee? That's fine. Cloud on his bike? Fine. Mike Tyson rollin' up in an Escalade? Fine. Xenogears characters in gears? Not fine. Fox McCloud in his Arwing? Not fine.

22. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    So Fox McCloud DOES get his Arwing, right?

23. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005

24. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Guilty. What can I say? I am a Final Fantasy/Sephiroth fangirl. :p
    But that doesn't mean that I don't know anything else about other video games as well! ;)

25. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Why of course. I would hope that'd be the case anyways. ;) And you can't go wrong being a FF and Sephiroth fan. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.