main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Vigil (Obi/Qui, JA) -- Updated July 13 --

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi Obi-Wan, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    [face_thinking] What is Qui-Gon up to now? *Starts bouncing in chair* I want more! :D

2. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    I said I would have the next piece up today. [face_liarliar] I am so, so, so sorry but I don't have it finished. [face_worried]

Darth RL has been a pain in the butt this week!! But, if you'll stick with me, I will most definitely have it up tomorrow. Again, I am so sorry about this! If there's any way I can make this one up to you, let me know.

Edit: *grumble*Can't spell*grumble*

3. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jun 18, 2000
    Kadi - Thank you! I hope you like this next part!! :D

RingThane - Blockhead is an excellenway to describe San! And you are right, he's every bit as stubborn as Qui-Gon.

Fluff-Slayer - Oh, I don't think it will kill you. But I've always wanted a pogo stick. [face_batting][face_devil]:D

-Darksaber- - Glad you're enjoying it!! :D :D

PadawanEstel - I always pictured Qui-Gon using unconventional methods. It just seems like a rougish thing to do. :p

Sarah_uk - You'll just have to read on and see. ;) :D

Bastet - I hope my men are alright!

[face_devil]

:D :D :D :D :D

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Thanks! Enjoy!! :D :D :D

maychorian - Thank you so much! I struggle to get Qui-Gon's character right. I actually spent three hours reading the Qui-Gon thread in the Resource forum before I posted this. :D I hope you like this next bit! :D :D

LilQui-Gon - Here it is, for your enjoyment... :D

San had meditated a long time, and it had done much to calm his heart and mind. He walked back to his quarters with a lighter step, but a feeling he wasn?t sure he wanted to identify was still buried in the deep corners of his consciousness.

The panel that served as the door to their rooms had been left open. San found that strange, and hit the button on the wall. It closed with a swoosh. ?Yeni?? he called. There was no response. Reaching out with the force, he searched for the familiar threads of light that were his apprentice. They were there, but distant. San grew concerned. She wouldn?t have left without shutting the door, and she always left a note.

Unsure if he would find anything, he searched the main room of their quarters, then moved to her room.

Her bed was sloppy and unmade, and her pillowcase was wet in spots from her tears. Guilt cut through him, but he shoved it to the back of his mind. Her datapad was sitting on the bed, along with her commlink. The locket he had given her when she had become his padawan was draped over the screen. A chill ran up his spine as he picked it up and stroked the smooth metal. Yeni hadn?t taken it off since he had given it to her. Something was very wrong. His attention turned to the datapad, and the words seemed to jump off the screen at him.

If you want to see her again, you will come to the initiate recreation area.

He felt as if a bantha had stepped onto his chest. The air seemed to refuse to enter his lungs. Fleeting thoughts of how a kidnapper entered the temple and the absurdity of staying in the Temple with a Jedi hostage crossed his mind like dust in a windstorm. What mattered was the Yeni was in trouble. She needed him.

Stuffing the locket into his cloak, he sprinted out of his quarters and into the hall, fumbling with the lightsaber on his belt and dropping it in the process. It hid the floor with a loud ?thud?, and it activated upon landing. The yellow blade started to burn a hole in the Temple floor, and San snatched it off the floor. Ignoring the large black mark, he continued to make his way toward the recreation area, mindful of nothing in his path.

So centered was his mind on the his padawan that he didn?t realize he was falling until he hit the floor, his head cracking painfully on the temple wall. A cry of pain registered in his ears, but it wasn?t his own.

?Master Reslyya!? A deep and agonizingly familiar voice scolded. ?What could possibly require that much haste??

San placed a hand over his throbbing head, not surprised to find it bleeding slightly, but not caring. ?Master Windu, ?he gasped, more from fright than lack of breath. ?It?s Yeni? she?s been kidnapped.?

Windu looked shocked. ?From the Temple? Are you sure??

?Yes!? San nearly shouted. Why wasn?t the Master sounding the alert and springing into action? ?I found a note and her locket that she never takes off in our rooms and the door was open and she wouldn?t do that and she always comms me before she goes anywhere!?

To his credit, Master Windu controlled

4. RingThane

RingThane Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Excellent post! Qui was particularly clever to send Obi to "kidnap" Yeni. The whole scene was well excecuted.=D=
    I look forward to the post on Saturday. It will help me get through my work day, knowing that I have a post to come back home to read!:)

5. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    :D ?Master Jinn, if you ever kidnap an initiate again, I will let their Master take your head off. In fact, I?ll do it myself.?

That was brilliant! =D= Had me laughing out loud.

Great job!:D

6. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    o-ho!

If you want to see her again, you will come to the initiate recreation area.

[face_laugh]

Well, it worked, I suppose. Glad San didn't kill Obi, though. That would have been very bad! 8-}

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Very nice. :) Loved the whole "kidnapping" business, I'm glad it brought Master Reslyya back to his senses. Can't wait to hear someone else's memories now, this is such a great story! :D

8. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, very clever! That was well-done, if a bit hasty. I loved how frantic he instantly was, not caring about running into anyone or burning holes in the Temple floor. [face_laugh] And Obi about to throw her into the pool and San rushing to save his Padawan from a dunking . . .

And the locket. [face_love] That was very touching. Keep it up!

Great job!

9. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    ?Master Jinn, if you ever kidnap an initiate again, I will let their Master take your head off. In fact, I?ll do it myself.?

Lol, excellent...Loved it, loved it, loved it!

10. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    Qui-Gon has a crazy yet creative mind. I love the chapter. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awww that was brilliant!! [face_love] Yay!! I'm so glad he changed his mind :D

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LOL, loved it!

13. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    This story is very good. I absolutly love it and cant wait for the next post. It makes my day so much better. But i do hope you keep obi and qui alive at the end of this story? If you don't this will just be a heart breaking story and it will make me cry and i hate crying. But do what you must.

14. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jun 18, 2000
    RingThane ? Thanks!! Here?s the post, I hope you enjoy it. :D

Kadi ? Glad I made you laugh! :D :D

PadawanEstel ? Yes, if San had killed Obi that might have put a very different twist on the rest of the story (and not mention made it very AU). ;) :D

Bastet ? Thank you! I hope you like the next memory as well. :D

maychorian ? [face_blush] Yes, I did have to finish it rather quickly. You keep me on my toes. Thanks!! :D :D :D

-Darksaber- ? Thank you! It?s great to hear that you are enjoying it so much!! :D :D

LilQui-Gon ? Crazy, yet creative. A great way to describe Qui-Gon!! :D

Layren ? Thank you! :D :D :D

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi ? I hope you like this next bit that well!! :D :D

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L ? Weeeeeeeeeeell, it might make you cry, and it might not. You never know.[face_devil]. I very much appreciate your kind comments. It?s very inspiring to hear that my little hobby makes reader?s days brighter. :D :D :D

A chuckle passed through the crowd as San finished his story. Memories of and affection for Qui-Gon Jinn surged through the air with all the power of a lightening bolt.

The force seemed to cast a glow on San with a light of its own making. The Jedi reached out with the force, and it flowed easily into him. He concentrated fully on the essence of the Jedi who had saved the relationship with his apprentice. The memories and feelings swirled around in his mind in a ball of resplendent paradise, and as he released them to the force the glow gradually faded from around him.

And the ball of radiance above the tallest fire rod began to burn more brightly. Hope was present with it, lifting the spirits of those gathered.

Bant was truly glad that Qui-Gon had been strengthened, but the greater luminescence of his fire rod made Obi-Wan?s look even more dim.

?I hope the next memory is for Obi,? she whispered to Garen. ?Look at his light. It?s barely there.?

?Why don?t you go next,? Garen suggested. ?You have lots of memories with Obi.?

Fear, soft yet sharp, coursed through Bant?s veins. She had always been the quieter, more reserved one. In class and everywhere else, she was too shy to speak up about anything. Facing an entire crowd of Jedi was enough to make the blood drain from her face. But if it would help her friend...

?Master Windu,? she called. The dark skinned Master turned to her, surprise registering in his chocolate eyes.

?Yes, Padawan Eerin??

Bant stepped forward. ?I? I have a memory,? she said, eyes studying her feet. She was focused upon them so intently that she didn?t feel the Master come to her side. When he touched her shoulder, Bant nearly jumped.

?I think you are the perfect person to share a memory,? he said kindly. Mace leaned in closer. ?Are you sure?? he whispered to her.

?Yes.?

?Very well then.? He took her by the elbow and guided her to the front of the crowd, then looked at her expectantly.

As Bant surveyed the massive gathering of Jedi, she felt the familiar panic creeping up on her. Her throat went so dry that she was unable to even swallow. Hundreds of pairs of eyes studied the petite girl, making her feel like an exhibit at an aquatic show.

Then, out of nowhere, the figures began to change. The many different faces of many different species began to shrink and transform into a breathtaking field of Laikem flowers. The petals were a variety of shades ranging from soft rose to vibrant plum. They swayed gently in a breeze that she saw but didn?t feel.

Only one human figure remained: the comforting form of Garen, who was smiling at her encouragingly. She recognized his force signature inside of her mind. So he was responsible for the field of flowers.

Thank you. She sent to him.

He grinned. I thought a field of Masters in their underwear might make you even more nervous, so I opted for this.

Bant laughed, her emotions leaving her with the jubilant sound. She could do this. But which memory should she choose? Garen was right, she an

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Yay Bant dont let Obi's light dim

I am sure Bant has wonderful memories of Obi-wan
    Cant wait.[face_love]

16. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Hurry up, Force damn you! Help him!!!!!!!

17. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    Bant's next. This should be good. ;)

18. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Update One:

I?m so sorry that I missed this! I?ve been checking back every day, but it must have slipped my attention? just goes to show what lack of sleep can do to a person. Oh, I think this was my favorite part of the whole story; if you manage to top it, I WILL give you my pogo! =D=

Right from the part where Master Windu started to look annoyed, I knew what he suspected, and I laughed so hard! [face_laugh] It makes me wonder how many other padawans Master Jinn and Padawan Kenobi have ?kidnapped?. I, for one, am seriously considering calling you Brilliance for short. A person can never have too many nicknames, right? [face_batting]

Update Two: Golly. I just had to catch up to the cliffy! Darn my luck.

I love hearing stories with Bant and Garen inovolved. Their unique brand of humor adds a light touch to any fic, even if it?s starting to make the readers teary. I thought a field of Masters in their underwear might make you even more nervous, so I opted for this. [face_laugh] No doubt! I?m sure that would make anybody nervous! And I?m inclined to agree with Bant; talking in front of a large group, especially if many of them are your elders, can be quite unnerving.

I?m running out of things to say, Brilliance! [face_worried] Pretty soon, my reviews will be running on mindless worship and complements alone. And that will just serve to be thoroughly embarrassing for me, don?t you think?

19. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, very lovely. I love Garen and Bant's interaction, very sweet. And Obi as a six-year-old sweetheart was lovely. [face_love]

Beautiful!

20. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    Yay one on Obi-Wan. I can't wait you should post it now then latter. You did a good job describing how bant was feeling about talking in front of a group of people. I hate talking in front of people so i know how she feels. Cant wait for the next post keep it coming.

21. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    That was nice post, short but sweet. More soon, and I can't wait to hear what Bant's going to share!

22. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh yay, one for Obi! The poor kid needs help!! Can't wait for more! :D

23. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jun 18, 2000
    Running a bit late... ;)

?I don?t like this, Bant.? Obi-Wan?s face was etched with concern as they made their way down the streets of Relcor. He was walking so closely beside her that she had nearly tripped over him several times. One hand never strayed far from his lightsaber, while the other was resting protectively on her elbow. ?You shouldn?t be visiting the center without our Masters.?

Personally, she thought he was being a bit overprotective, but she smiled up at him and squeezed his arm reassuringly. ?Obi,? she said. ?There are too many healing centers that need help for us stay together. This way we can help more people faster.?

?I have a bad feeling about this,? he muttered, more to himself than to the girl beside him.

?I don?t,? Bant stated reassuringly. ?I?m still a Jedi, even if I am just a healer. I can take care of myself, but if I can?t, I have a protector with me that I have complete faith in.? Her look was pointed.

Obi-Wan sighed, but remained silent for the rest of the walk. Bant knew that she needed to talk to him, but at the moment there were dozens of people in the healing center that needed her complete focus.

When they arrived, Bant felt instantly overwhelmed. There were many more people than she had expected. They had somehow stuffed several hundred people into a healing center built to serve only a few dozen.

She watched a reed thin man in a yellow robe that bore the crest of a healer wipe the forehead of a deathly pale man. Her heart caught in her throat. That man needed bacta, and by the look of him, some form of nourishment. Yet all the healer was offering him was a cool rag and a dirty glass of brown tinted water. The healer saw her and Obi-Wan, and his eyes briefly lit up.

?You must be the Jedi,? he said softly. ?Thank you for coming. You can start in the next room. That?s where we keep the most critical cases.?

?Do you have any medical supplies?? Bant asked, fearing the answer.

?No,? the healer said wearily. ?Give them water. Help cool their fevers. Try to calm their fears. It?s about all we can do. We ran out of supplies ages ago.?

?You don?t even have any food?? Obi-Wan asked incredulously.

The healer rubbed his temples. ?The drought has lasted for three cycles. Nothing will grow. The people are starving. Disease is everywhere. We ask for help, and the Senate sends us four Jedi.? The man sighed heavily. ?I don?t even have the strength to be angry about that.?

Bant shook her head. ?We had no idea it was that bad. I promise you, we will get help. The Senate sent us here to aid you, but also to see how bad the situation was. Our Masters will report to them the severity of the situation, and they will send help,? she said with feeling.

?You have more faith in the Senate then I do, young one,? The healer said bitterly. ?Misguided though it may be. Now excuse me, I have people to attend to.?

He turned to go, but Bant stopped him. She removed her survival pack from her back and took out a ration packet then handed it to him. ?Eat,? she said softly. ?You are on the verge of collapse, and these people need you.?

A look of gratitude briefly lit the man?s eyes. He accepted the packet and walked away.

?Do you feel it?? Obi-Wan asked.

Bant turned to him. ?Feel what??

?Desperation,? he replied. ?It?s everywhere. Anger, too.?

Bant had been concentrating on the feelings of the sick. However, by reaching out she could feel the dark emotions mixing in the air. ?Come on,? she said. ?Lets start with this first room.?

As soon as they opened the door, the smell hit them. These people were too sick to leave their beds. Obi-Wan?s stomach turned, but Bant walked straight in, heading for the first bed, where a young girl was laying.

Her face was deathly white. Bant felt for a pulse. There was one, but it was faint and fluttery. She was near death. In order to save her she needed a bacta tank and medicines, but she had none of these. So she did the best she could. A container of filthy water and an equally disgusting rag were lying on a

24. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, wow. Great update. I like Bant's perspective. It's too bad that she feels a need to argue because she's a healer and he's a "traditional" Jedi. What a heart-breaking situation they've found themselves in, but lovely of Obi to keep such a careful eye on his friend.

Can't wait for more!

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I found this by "accident," clicking on a story to check an update and then going "um...that's not Renton's story. What?" But then I read a few paragraphs and was very very intrigued. I love the idea, I loved Qui-Gon's typical deviousness in that one story and Obi-Wan's unflagging compassion in the other. Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.