main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Villains

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by hear+soul, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    We got

Maul
    Sidious/ Palpatine
    Dooku
    Grievous
    Vader

and all the other, not so active ones like the beings behind the trade federation.

Some are hated some are loved.

Who was the best? The worst?

What impact did they have?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Without RotS spoilers, it's easily Dooku in my eyes. Cold, cunning, and so quick and ruthless with a blade...a great villian.

Maul is a nice representation of evil, but he just doesn't have that insidious charisma or aura of intelligent malevolence that Dooku has. He's a nice villian too, but he ain't Dooku.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Threepio is my favorite character of the saga, but Palpatine/Sidious is far and away the greatest character of the PT. It is really a joy seeing Ian do his work. He plays the character in such a way that you can somehow tell that the character is up to no good, even though he does not give any of the other characters enough clues to hang their hats on.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

4. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    Without ROTS spoilers: Dooku without any thought. He's .. just amazing.

ROTS: Darth Vader no question.

5. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    Darth Vader, because of his sheer power and ability to strike fear in anyone.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow, that's tough. I'd say it's a tie between Palpatine and Dooku. Dooku is a very complex and deep character, that you can sympithise for while you know that he's still bad. Palpatien just blows me away with his absolute plan for galactic domination, and how everything factors into it. :) Also Ian makes you hate him and love him at the same time. :)

The wors it by far Maul. A very shallow character that was just ment to have the coolness factor of being a good fighter and looking evil. I personally barely consider him a Sith. He appears to be somewhat weak in the force for a Sith, and the force is definately needed to be a Sith. The only instance I can recall him actually using the force besides combat and jumps is when he throws some debris at the door controls.

EDIT: Allthough I can't wait for Grievous, who allthough appears to be another fighitng villain like Maul, also appears to be a deeper character. Being aStrilo edit: Spoilers are not allowed even if they are blacked out., and being a brilliant tactition. Blacked out, because I'm not sure if that's considered spoilers or not.

7. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    For the prequels, I would certainly have to say Palps. He is all the others combined, in my eyes.

Though, it could just be Ian's superior portrayal, and Dooku and Maul being underdeveloped.

8. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    Ah, Grievous... A character that I'm sure to love.

He is perhaps the most mysterious villains next to Sidious.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Mods I'm not spoilin' but [face_shhh]
    Definetly Grevious because......

10. Marshall

Marshall Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2005
    Palpatine/Sidious, a very menacing Sith Lord. He plays the part great.

11. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Ok, I'm going to weigh in now.

Palps is def the evilest. He is played by a superior actor as well, which only helps.

Dooku I believe is the best antagonist, because of what we could imagine to be an internal struggle facing off against his former friends and allies.

Maul is just frickin cool. Obi got lucky. Grievous will be in the same boat, but on a higher deck.

Vaders is the BEST Villain. He has the internal struggle, the power, the evil, and the cool.

Though, I'm not sure how much IS Vader we will get, Dark Anakin will be great!

12. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Maul is just frickin cool. Obi got lucky.

[face_laugh]

I'm afraid it wasn't luck. Maul simply got...

[image=http://img230.exs.cx/img230/8756/theed3dc.jpg]

....in that fight. :cool:

13. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I've had this arguement many times.

Picture this:

Qui Gon went along with Padme to regain control of Naboo.

Obi fights Maul one on one.

They get to that one room and Obi is hangin from the wall, saber down a shaft. In desparation, he looks up to find something to help him, but finds nothing. After a long period of Maul throwing sparks down at him, he slips and jumps high up in the air to live. He lands, without a weapon, and Maul slices him in half.

Obi had trouble dueling him With Qui Gon for most of that battle anyway.

14. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    In the first two, I have to say Maul because I think he is cooler. I know he probably would lose against Dooku, but Maul is just cool looking, acts cool, just has the coolness about him.

Now, with ROTS coming, I don't know who will be my favorite. I know it will either be Vader or Sidious, but not sure which one...

darth_nemisis

15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Best:Dooku or Palpatine

Worst:Maul

16. LowRyder

LowRyder Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    I think they are all pretty good but if I had to chose, it would be a close call between Vader and Maul.

17. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Best Maul and Sidious due to the fact ive read backstory to maul makes him that much better eg(Shadow hunter and the comics aswell) and sidious well because he masterminded the whole thing from the start he is the best.

Worst none actually dooku and GG are good characters too so its all good for me.

18. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    For the entire PT, Palpatine/Sidious: he is behind all of it, playing with everyone as if he is a puppeteer and they the puppets. It certainly helps that he is played by a very good actor, who was revisiting a character he did for OT at a later stage of that characters live: he must have thought about a history for palpatine, which helps add depth to the character.

Maul, and from the small bit I know, Grievious, are cool and all, but actually, Maul at least didn't really play a big role in it all, he just turned up a few times and got killed, perhaps by bad luck, but still, dead is dead.
    Unless you are Obi-Wan, Yoda or Anakin, I guess.

I really like the cool calmness of Dooku, but during AotC I kept thinking: how much does he know of Palpatine's plans, and will he be caught off-guard by Sidious in the next film, when obviously Darth Vader gets a big role in those plans. So: is he aware of his role, and how does he deal with this. That will have a big impact on how I'll view him when the whole PT is done.
    Guess this will be answered in RotS, judging from the trailer. We'll see, but so far I do like his style.

edit: shouldn't forgat him
    Vader: I guess he will end up having a role in RotS, again, judging from the trailer, but for the PT as a whole, he is not the villain of choice even though he is the chosen one and manages to turn sour for the Jedi Council. Until now he is mainly a victim of himself, being played by Sidious/Palpatine. Obviously, for the whole saga, he is the guy, and for most of the OT, he is the villain we all love and grew up fearing (well some of us at least).

19. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

Vader or Sidious.

Especially in Episode III!

20. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Best Villian
    Grievous or Dooku, grievous will be a very fighting type charcter but will also have a back history and more then 2 lines

21. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Maul: Maul was a great villan however I would've liked some character development.
    Sidious/ Palpatine: The best of the PT period.
    Dooku: Dooku was cold, evil and great with a blade.
    Grievous: Don't know enough about him cept he's great with lightsabers.
    Vader: He's great in the OT but since I'm spoiler free I don't know about the PT.

22. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I really like Dooku. He's got style :cool: But then again I really love how manipulative Palps is. He fools everyone!

23. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Hmmm.... I enjoyed Jango's existence for a little while.

24. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    You guys are forgetting about Govenor Tarkin..... not that he could really be considered a true 'Villian' in the saga.

25. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Governor... Tarkin?

Is Jango really a villain?

He's just doin his job. I dunno... yah, I suppose he is.

He's definitely got the cool factor, but he also has character developement. I'd put him ahead of Maul and maybe equal to Dooku and GG.

That's just me.

Tarkin who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.