main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Volcano Battle in EpIII- Do you really want it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Sithman, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Care to elaborate, Pozzi?'

Not really, the idea just sounds a little tired. And I can't even give you a single film or book where the idea has been used in the exact way before.

I hope Lucas really thinks of a better, more original way than this.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Dudes, it means "Father" in german. It really has no significance to his turn to the Dark Side, it's significance lies in his relationship with Luke (Duh. ).

Actually this is wrong. Father in German is Vater, not Vader.

3. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    It means "father" in some language. I think it's Swedish... not sure. But that's a coincidence, since the name Darth Vader came about before Vader was ever conceived as anybody's father, or even a Sith Lord at all.

4. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2001
    Long time lurker here, just wanting to add something, since I don't think anyone else has mentioned this. There's a "Classic Moment" on the OS called "Cliffhangers" which reads as follows:

"I remember very early on asking who my parents were and being told that my father and Obi-Wan met Vader on the edge of a volcano and they had a duel... Now, I wonder if it's true? I mean, there are so many things. For example, remember the Clone Wars? They could have cloned my father. It's all speculation at this point, sort of like who shot J.R. Ewing."
    - Mark Hamill
    November, 1980

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/classic/2002/01/classic20020104.html

We can assume that Lucas was the one who told him that, right? That's pretty good evidence right there of how GL envisioned it.

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Link to the above link.

Ah yes! But that's between Vader and Kenobi, not Anakin... from that certain point of veiw.

6. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think a volcano setting sets the perfect tone for the violence and turbulance of the two comabatants' emotions during the duel. Explosions and lava eruptions going on all around the two as they battle would be awesome. And maybe some lightning.

7. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Vader is not 'Father' in any language, it's a myth. People often tell me it's Norwegian. I know it isn't.

I don't remember ever seeing a Lucas quote like the one cbjedi referred to, but Lucas did briefly mention it in Empire Magazine October 1999. He was asked if there would be a lava injury and said that he wasn't sure, that he "might come up with something else". Which I think sounds like he will scrap it and do something else. I think there's an urge in Lucas to do something people don't already "know" everything about, like we do with the vulcano myth.

The RotJ novel also mentions lava in Vader's death scene. When Luke unmasks him he is overwhelmed by memories of the past - his childhood, his mother, his wife and his friend Obi-Wan, and then ... molten lava crawling up his back - at which point he struggles free from the memories because he can't stand the pain they inflict. He then thinks he tastes a raindrop (for the first time in over 25 years), but it is salt and he breaks free from his thoughts of freedom to find his son Luke weeping and the tears falling on his face.

[face_plain] :( :_|

It's beautifully written and incredibly sad. Especially after seeing the PT I would think...

8. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I think it would be kind of cool if GL did come up with something else. It'd be better yet if he could keep it a secret until the release of the film, so we'd all be that much more surprised by it. But seeing as they're keeping almost no secrets for AotC, this seems unlikely (just a spoiler-free lady's dream...).

That said, there's a huge amount of symbolism in a lava pit dual between Anakin and Obi-wan. Done right, it could make all of us understand Darth Vader a little better.

9. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    The Volcano Battle in EpIII- Do you really want it?

Yes. :D

10. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    "The RotJ novel also mentions lava in Vader's death scene. When Luke unmasks him he is overwhelmed by memories of the past - his childhood, his mother, his wife and his friend Obi-Wan, and then ... molten lava crawling up his back - at which point he struggles free from the memories because he can't stand the pain they inflict. He then thinks he tastes a raindrop (for the first time in over 25 years), but it is salt and he breaks free from his thoughts of freedom to find his son Luke weeping and the tears falling on his face."

That passage sounds terrific, Adali-Kiri. It sounds so good I think I may want to pick up those novelizations of the OT. I wonder are they all equally written well, or is ROTJ the best?

11. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I haven't read the other 2 actually, but I've read bits and pieces here and there that seem very interesting. I thought RotJ was very well written, and I especially loved the way it put you inside Vader's head so you could really feel his pain and experience his dark dilemmas. Makes you view the movie in a different light too.

I also thought the TPM novel was well written, and added weight to the movie when I saw it again.

Btw; I love your sig! [face_laugh]

For the record; YES, it would rule - but NO, I don't think it will happen.

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Really? I was almost 90% sure it was going to happen.

13. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Yeah, um, how does this relate to Ep2?

Shouldn't it be in the Ep3 discussion forum, where there's already several Anakin v Obiwan and Lava Pit threads. ... ?

Just a thought.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Umm dude the name of this forum is Attack of the Clones & Episode III (Non-Spoilers).

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh no did I just back up Sithman again??

Oh man I am never gonna hear the end of this now.... :D

16. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    The ROTJ novelization adds the most to ROTJ, certainly more so than ESB novelization adds to ESB or ANH novelization adds to ANH. The only problem with that novelization is that because it reveals so much, there are parts that will be contradicted by the prequels. The other problem I have with it is just minor things like Artoo's beeping actually typed out in words. The ESB novelization is the most true-to-film one, with very little extra insight, but it does add a number of details. The ANH novelization is quite good but there are certain parts that don't fit with the rest of the movies.

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hey, we're friends, we can stick up for each other. ;)

Unfortunately, our fine feathered friend, TheOzhaggis has yet to be enlightened...
    The Dudes (which does not include my man Stri) and Dudettes who wish to talk spoilers have two separate forums to contain themselves. One for the smoothness of AOTC, and another for the darkness that's EpIII. It's smooth brotha- keep it that way.

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    (I really hate upping threads, but I really like the discussion in this one. :) )

19. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Sure.

I just hope GL doesn't wimp out and have Anakin "accidently" fall into the lava pit.
    If he does that, then the whole thing is for naught!

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I want the pit, yes; volcano, not neccesarily.

21. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    If Obi-Wan's confrontation with Anakin ends with Anakin being incapacitated and requiring mostly machines to breath and move for him, then some sort of scorching hot material will have to be present when they duel.

However, if you believe Anakin loses his limbs in some other way then it doesn't need to be near a volcano.

On another note, don't Obi-Wan and "suit" Vader need to meet at least once in EPIII, because Obi-Wan has to know what Anakin has become.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, here's some food for thought: Would you want Obi-Wan to lop off Anakin/Vader's hand over the edge of the volcano?

That, once again, would make ROTJ even MORE powerful.

23. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    That would be great, Sithman!

I think GL should definately include the volcano duel in Ep. III. He's pretty good at surprising us even when we know what will happen.

-Patches

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Up. Seeing as this is the EpIII forum now, I'd love to hear everyone comments on this and I didn't want to start a new thread when I knew this one existed. :)

So, anyways, if you've read my first post, you'd realize that I really want this scene! :)

EDIT: Here's a link to that picture of Luke and Vader's duel in ROTJ. IMO, this is another reason why the Volcano duel is going to happen- Lucas had it conceptualized for ROTJ but couldn't pull it off. ...Well, at least not without significant risk to the cast members. :p Thanks to CGI it's possible, though.

25. Derrinson

Derrinson Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2002
    I think it was Sithman who asked if it would be cool to see Kenobi chop off Anakin's hand over the volcano. It'd be a nice tie-in, but I don't think it'd work. For a couple reasons:
    -how many times does he need to lose his hand?
    -I envision Obi-Wan not wanting to actually go on the offensive against his student and friend. Rather, he deflects Anakin's attacks and tries to persuade Anakin to turn back to the light. However, this might make for a pretty boring, one-sided fight(from the general public's perspective. I would enjoy it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.