The Volcano Battle in EpIII- Do you really want it?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Sithman, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja Jedi Knight

star 6
    "GL did say something about this just a little while ago. He was asked if the 'duel of the fates' would be used again, and he said that he would use it for the final lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He also said that instead of by a volcano that the duel might take place in a vast underground cavern containing a great lake of lava underneath Coruscant."

Wow, my hype for Episode III managed to increase a lot after reading that.
  2. THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well for it to be the duel of all duels Obiwan will have to do some damage and not just be defensive
  3. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    I'd very much love it if it was by a volcano, underground lava pit, whatever. That's where I always thought it'd take place.
    But it really could take place anywhere so long as the drama is there.
    It could take place in the meadow where Anakin and Padme had their picnic. Just light it right, give off the right atmosphere, good music, and have the drama of the event there.

Speaking of old ideas. I think this was already used in ESB, but an early ANH production painting has Luke Starkiller (I think, though it might have been Annikan Starkiller or some other Starkiller) and Vader meeting on board what would become the blockade runner. Starkiller had his saber ignited and was wearing a breath mask and Vader was advancing on him, saber drawn.
    I think they already used this scenario for ESN as I said. However, it's possible that in E3 Obi-Wan goes to confront Anakin in the depths of some molten pit and has to wear a mask in order to breath with all the fumes around him. He senses something, ignites his saber and Anakin comes around the corner, saber drawn and wearing a prototype Vader breath mask. Later, the duel advances to the rim of the pit high above and both combatants have removed their masks. Anakin get's knocked in, and Obi-Wan flees.
  4. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    "When we were doing [Jedi], I remember I had done a series of sketches of Vader's home, and there was a sea of lava that his house looked out on. I remember having trouble drawing it because everything was either orange or a shadow; it was very intense. But before we got too far, George said he would save this for somewhere down the line, and I stopped working on it."
    - Joe Johnston

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/classic/2001/08/img/dtl_bg.jpg]

5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh dear god, SLAVE! YUM!!!!!!

That looks beautiful. :D

Oh, and when I talked about Anakin/Vader losing a hand, that was before I saw AOTC- therefore I didn't know that he would lose it in AOTC. :)
  6. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I would love the lava battle. Anakin could push lava erruptions at ObiWan, or throw huge boulders and rocks, break ledges off with the force that Obiwan might be stood on. I'm not sure it will happen, but it would be awesome. Then Obiwan may think Anakin has died, leaves with his lightsaber, then the Emperor comes down and dispatches a load of clones to search for him, they find him pulling himself out of a pit or something.
  7. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    You know, I really think this idea works well on the mythological level too.

The fallen angel descends to hell where he makes his transformation to evil.

You see what I mean? I tend to get very excited just thinking about it. :D
  8. Pooja Jedi Knight

star 6
    Just wanted everyone to know that the Joe Johnston that done that artwork is the very same Joe Johnston that directed Jurassic Park III.
    ;)

Also, Joe done several other pictures too...one showed a possible sketch of the Emporer's/Anakin's lair around the volcano area...this leads me to believe that MAYBE the ACTUAL Emporer (be it Sidious/Palpatine/both/someone ELSE) has been hiding out there the entire time of the prequels. It makes sense. If ANYONE finds this image...PLEASE show it- because it's fantastic.
  9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_M cQuarrie/Return_of_the_Jedi&image=rmqroj4.jpg&img=32&tt=

Sorry, you can't turn it into a link, just copy and paste

That's the artwork you're talking about, but the artwork is Ralph McQuarrie. :)

This is just another reason why I think the volcano battle will happen. :)
  10. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm having trouble with that link, but I think I see what you mean...

http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Return_of_the_Jedi/rmqroj4.jpg
  11. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Wow, thats an awesome picture :cool:
  12. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I know, I had it as my background for a while. :D

I'll put it back up as EpIII gets closer. :D
  13. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    Can anyone find a copy of the painting I'm talking about?
  14. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/A_New_Hope/swp-1.jpg]
    This one? Good idea about the pair of them wearing masks, makes sense really.
  15. netslave Jedi Youngling

star 2
    that's luke v. Vader there.
  16. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No, it's not.

The shootout on the Rebel blockade runner was originally going to take place, then Vader would come aboard and finish off the remaining defenders.

The person he's fighting is just a soldier on the Tantive IV.

Remember, stormies were originally supposed to have lightsabers and shields too.
  17. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think they're making a figure of the concept art stormie soon...
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/A_New_Hope/SW_11.jpg]
  18. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yup, exactly, that's the painting I'm talking about.

(Oh, and yes, they are making a figure of the concept stormie).
  19. Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have a few thoughts on this subject. This is what I have been waiting for sice the OT. The FINAL DUEL, just sends chills down my spine. There are a few factors that I'd like to mention. The first one being the location.

Location: So far we dont know where this will take place, and I don't think "I" will know until the movie comes out, since I'm staying spoiler free for this one. But is it possible Lucas could bring Geonosis back into the fold. It's a rocky, obviosly dangerous planet, and we've seen those molten pits in the droid factories, or could this duel take place on a new planet. But somehow I don't think we will be introduced to a new planet because we already have basically three new ones from the prequils already, there just seems to be too much going on to bring in a new planet. Maybe this fight could take place on a ship. We know from the ROTJ Novelization that Anakin falls into a "molten pit", this could really be anywhere.

Is he fighting Anakin Skywalker, or is he fighting Darth Vader: Alright I think we know he won't be Darth Vader untill he "emerges" from the depths of the "molten pit" but I think a great concept is for Anakin to already be Darth Vader, seduced and corrupted by the DARKSIDE. This way we can see a somewhat human DV. The casual movie go'er thinks DV and they see... the cape, the helmet, the armor, etc. etc. It would be clever to see Darth Vader in human.

More Than A Duel: I think the entire movie will be leading up to this climatic scene. There are some small clues in ROTJ that tells us a little about the events that either transpire before, or during this battle. "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." This line by Darth refers to when Luke openly suggests that there is still good in Vader. And he tries to turn him back to the darkside. This says that OF-COURSE Obi-Wan will try the same thing a generation before, and ultamintly fails with his apprentice.

I just thought I'd bring up some points and ideas. It will be great no matter what direction George the Allmighty will take. :)
  20. Hatter Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's been on my mind for a while that it would be neat for Anakin to already call himself Darth Vader before he fights Obi-Wan.
    For some reason, I've always visualized him as an action figure... I would always think how cool it would be to pick up a "Sith Apprentice Darth Vader" action figure, with Anakin dressed in some Maul-style robes and cloak...
    Awesome.
  21. Pooja Jedi Knight

star 6
    I know what you mean. I always envisioned Anakin as a Sith with the alias Darth Vader, BEFORE he gets in the machine. Imagine Anakin with like war/tribal paint much like Maul, and these flashy robes during the fight...with a new type of lightsaber or something...

22. Joey7F Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Vader is not father in German, it is father in Norwegian.

That comes from when vikings used to invade. They the invaders go in a town, kill the men, pillage, rape the women and say "Who is your daddy?" Father -> Dad ->Daddy

Quod Erat Demonstratum...which I think is also either Swedish or Norwegian, but don't hold me to that.

It is simply linguistic progression.

So anyway, what were we talking about originally?...Oh yeah, I think Yoda will again be a puppet for episode III.

--Joey
  23. Joey7F Jedi Padawan

star 4
    For a more serious response, I believe that lava will enter the picture some how.

I say this because:

Someone asked RM whether or not the places he was searching for in shooting Episode II had to do with Episode III. He responded in the affirmative and added that he is actually scouting out a place for a scene in Episode III that will not appear in Episode II.

They followed up by asking if it was a lava site for Obi Wan and Anakin's duel and he said something like "You are a smart guy" and laughed a little.

Lava, fairly certain, volcano? Maybe!

--Joey
  24. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    They followed up by asking if it was a lava site for Obi Wan and Anakin's duel and he said something like "You are a smart guy" and laughed a little.

Cool :cool: I hope Obiwan gives Anakin a good old fashion beat down [face_mischief]
  25. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Joey...

OMG! YEEEESSS!!!!

\\drool\\ :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.