main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Volcano Battle in EpIII- Do you really want it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Sithman, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    I believe it was in ROTJ but I could be mistaken. Darth Vader mentions the planet Sullust. " What of the rebel fleets massing near sullust?" or something like that. In the nintendo 64 game rougue squadron you engage in a "raid on sullust." It's like a rocky lava world, with bursts of lava bubling all around, very cool. It gives a description of the planet and mission in the hand book

"In this mission, you'll fly through the thick, hot, dark clouds over Sullust, a bleak, volcanic planet in the Sullust system. With the planet's surface shrouded in toxic gases, the millions of native Sullustans have created a large underground network of caves and cities. These beautiful sub-surface sites are popular tourist attractions. Sullustans are friendly, outgoing creatures with jowls, mouse-like ears, and large round eyes, who are prized as navigators, since they never forget a path they've traveled."

I realize that you shouldn't look to EU for information, but since the planet Sullust is actually spoken in the classic trilogy i found it to be interesting. When you think about it, a lava type location is the only thing george lucas really hasn't done. He's said that he likes to have at least three very diferent geographical locations in each movie. So we've seen desert, space, aboard the death star, snow, swamp, cloud city, forest, the gungan city/ kamino for water areas, naboo the city, geonosis type rock planet, there really isn't anything left but a molten type planet. I think we will see a fight near lava, whether it be on the planet Sullust or in the core of courscant.

EDIT: Nien Nunb is actually a Sullustan. I just read it at the official site.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, that works! I dunno if it will actually be Sullust, but it SURE would work!

I assume there would be a certain amount of anger/pain for Vader to mention the word "Sullust" to Palpatine in ROTJ.

3. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Hate to ruin the party but I don't want to see the Obi-Vader duel take place near a lava pit. I don't like the idea of Anakin surviving a fall into a pit of lava at all. I just don't think he would be able to survive.

It can take place near a lava pit as long as he doesn't fall in it. I would have just too much of a problem believing that he could survive a fall into a pit of lava.

4. Shadow2488

Shadow2488 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, after seeing the picture of Vader, Luke and Palpatine in the *HAD ABBADON TOMB'S DUNGEON, I am really looking forward to a Anakin/Vader vs Obi-Wan duel near a molten pit of some kind.

*That's what it is called in an early draft of Revenge of the Jedi. You can find it here.

Why did AotC have to be so good? It makes waiting for EIII so much harder.

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    HOLY GAWD.

Thanks for that link to the original scripts, because I have ran across VERY INTERESTING STUFF. LIKE THIS:

LUKE
    Yoda?

EMPEROR
    Obi-Wan foresaw my destruction at your hands, young Skywalker, but it seems his vision was clouded?Perhaps there is still another Skywalker. Why can I not see, could the netherworld have influenced my perception? Another Skywalker?your father!

The Emperor turns around to see Lord Vader flying at him. The lightning bolts around Luke disappear as Vader hits the Emperor, knocking them both into the fiery lake of lava. The hideous screams of the Emperor are soon muted. Luke struggles to his feet and stares at the spot where his enemy and his father disappeared into the cauldron of molten rock.

:)

6. Shadow2488

Dec 3, 2001
    You're very welcome :cool:. To give credit where credit was due, I got this link from one of the threads in the AotC board. I've been reading the scripts in my spare time, since I have nothing better to do at 3am in the morning. There are some very interesting things in there... but thats a conversation for another time in another thread.

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well then start the thread!

8. Shadow2488

Dec 3, 2001
    Maybe tomorrow... its a little late for me.

Now back on topic... sort of... Would you of liked it if both EIII and RotJ ended with a fight with a molten pit? Would Anakin's and Luke's stories be too similar?

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I think that the lava pit's been mentioned so many times by various Lucas sources, that its' sort of taken for granted that it would occur. I'm glad that the end of ROTJ did not occur on a lava-planet as the whole "black on black" duel thing was much more interesting. I wonder though we've already seen the "pit of hell"/duel planet (ie geonosis and droid factory)- remember that Anakin's metamorphisis into something "more machine than man" began on that assembly line. I have a feeling (possibly bad) that at the end of the duel, Anakin, like Luke at the end of ESB, will be battered and bruised with his "fragile soul" crushed and all that. Whereas Luke was rescued by Leia and thereby managed to hold on to his humanity, Anakin falls into the clutches of Sidious and we all know the rest. I wonder whether Anakin does end up "turning to the good side" just before he is horribly scarred and left for dead by obi-wan...

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Yup! That's the painting I was talking about.
    I always loved the concept Vader and that mask heavily reflects the curves and steel of the prequels. So maybe he could wear that prototype mask (or a part of it) for their first duel before he finally get's the Vader mask.
    I'm not putting money on it of course. If he only wears a part of it, I'm thinking maybe just the mask part and not the helmet just yet. Maybe his eyes will be visible? The rest of the costume would be perfect for pre-armor Vader IMHO. Very PT/OT without being full Vader yet. I think it'd be cool to see Darth Vader weilding a blue saber if just for a bit. I think it'd look stunning and haunting reflecting off the black clothing. Then when he's fully Vaderized, he switches to red after losing his blue saber in the Kenobi duel.

Speaking of the old scripts, I found this passage pretty interesting:

LUKE
    You cannot turn me to the Dark Side as you did my father?

EMPEROR
    I did not turn him to the Dark Side. That is something he did for himself. . .

Seems to be heading in that direction don't it?

11. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    Man! I have to read the ROTJ novel again. It sounds like a whole new episode.

12. SeismicChargesRock

SeismicChargesRock Jedi Master

Jun 12, 2002
    "Vader is not 'Father' in any language, it's a myth. People often tell me it's Norwegian. I know it isn't."

Okay, I'm a longtime lurker from The Netherlands and I love the discussions on this board, but when people start to call common words in my own language a myth, i have to react... :)

'Vader' is plain dutch for 'father'.
    That's why the kids in The Netherlands back in the days of TESB weren't surprised at Darth's little speech near the end. They already read his relation to Luke in the dutch subtitles :)

13. Count_Anakin

Count_Anakin Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    Of Course, we want the volcano battle because that's where Obi-Wan and Anakin fight each other and Anakin loses and falls in the volcano. It is going to be the best battle out of all of the six Star Wars movies.

14. MasterJedi-Mackey

MasterJedi-Mackey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    Interestingly enough, there were some reports of enormously high levels of insurance being purchased for the actors filming Epi3. The official/unofficial (you know how it is) rumor is that the coming sword battle is being developed to be THE most intense, challenging, and lengthy battle (of this magnitude) caught on film.
    Can't wait.

Also, interestingly enough, the Sith home world (Dark Horse) has featured prominently with volatile volcanic activity. What if the battle were on such a planet. Seems the perfect setup. (Cold, Kamino;Dank tropical, Dagobah; Boring sandy hot, Tatooine) See where Iam going.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Well all those quotes came from the rough draft of the RotJ screenplay, not the novel.
    However, I guarantee that you'll find RotJ to be immensely more powerful after reading the book. Most of the stuff that disappoints people in RotJ is cosmetic and thus doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the book. Terriffic read.

16. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    I wouldn't mind seeing the fabled volcano battle in EpIII, but am glad there wasn't also one in RotJ. There are enough (fairly obvious) parallels, that would have been too much!

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, but that's why I think all the more that it should be in EpIII- because he didn't put it in ROTJ.

Plus, George is running out of new planets. Look at what he has:

Sand. Snow. Swamp. Forest. City. Water.
    (He's also done Naboo and Geonosia but those aren't as stark in their features)

Basically, my point is that the only choice left is a planet of fire/lava. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

18. Shadow2488

Dec 3, 2001
    Hm... you have a very good point about the planets Sithman

19. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    So far we've seen...

-Desert
    -Jungle/Ancient Ruins
    -Metal (Death Star)
    -Snow
    -Swamp
    -Clouds
    -Forest
    -Grasslands
    -Cityscape
    -Storm/Ocean
    -Rock

Hmm... it does seem that pretty much the only original planet at this point would have to be a volcanic/fire planet.

Lucas could also do an ice planet, since Hoth was more snow than ice. I mean, look at how similar Geonosis is to Tatooine.
    Tatooine is mostly desert with some rock,
    Geonosis is mostly rock with some desert.

Hoth is mostly snow with some ice...
    so Lucas could still have a completely frozen-over planet.
    Not that he will, of course, but the possibility exists. ;)

I would really like to see Alderaan, but it would probably be too similar to Naboo.

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, that's why I'm guessing we won't see Alderaan. It does seem lava/fire is the only option.

At least, I hope so. :D

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
  22. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/museum/images/Prequels/Episode_3/ot-bornagain.jpg]

I thought this was a particularly disturbing image brought to us by our very own Otis Frampton!

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, I've seen that before, and I LOVE that picture. Because it seems like it could really happen.

Wouldn't it be spooky if a droid like an FX-7 put it's little "shocker" thing that woke Luke up in the bacta tank in TESB to the bacta tank that Vader was recooperating in and "brought him to life".

.......\\cue the Imperial March\\ [face_devil]

24. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see a batca tank scene like that in the picture really. A droid bringing Vader back into conciousness could be really symbollic! Dunno if that'll happen though. Maybe seeing the extent of his injuries would be too gruesome? I dunno though. Seeing a Sith Lord bisected and all the decapitations in AotC might've sounded like a bit much too.
    If not an actual image of Anakin himself, I'm sure we'll see a diagram or something that show the extent of his injuries.
    Do you guys have official threads in here? If so, I think maybe this one could be the official non-spoiler final duel thread?

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, it basically already is that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.