The Volcano Battle in EpIII- Do you really want it?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Sithman, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewies_bandolier Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ewwww! Interesting picture :) BUT.. wouldn't want it to be too reminiscent of a certain bisected "Borg Queen" would we?
  2. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    *I* think that pic's cool! And it'd be a spooky ending to the movie (assuming it'd be in the last 10 minutes or so). :)
  3. VanLiz Jedi Master

star 1
    I look forward to seeing the volcano battle. If Anakin is as disfigured because of the volcano battle as the torso in the bacta tank suggests, it would explain why he is so consumed with anger and hatred. I'd be full of hate too if my body was as mangled as the body in that picture. I'd understand his turning to the dark side and I'd feel bad for him (a little).
  4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Liz, but your reasoning doesn't seem correct.

The reason he turns to the Dark Side isn't because he's maimed, his turned happened before that. After all, why would he be fighting Obi-Wan (which is how he's maimed) if he hasn't turned yet?

Do you understand that or did I just confuse everyone? :D
  5. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    I don't think he loses quite that much, but still, the pic has the right idea :)
    I don't think the suti will come near the last ten minutes. I think maybe Obi-Wan and Darth Vader will have one duel before Obi-Wan makes a break for it. Maybe not :p
  6. VanLiz Jedi Master

star 1
    Sure, he doesn't turn because he's maimed. He turns for other reasons. But being maimed adds to his feelings of anger and hatred. I think that because he's maimed he is more angry and more full of hate than he would have been if he wasn't maimed.

In Ep II, Anakin is arrogant because of all of the things that he can do, things that are enhanced by the Force (I'm assuming) that make him think he is ahead of Obi-Wan. I'm assuming that a few of these "things" include physical things as well as non physical things (I don't know, maybe he can jump higher or run faster because of the midi's).

If I'm correct about the physical things being enhanced by the Force, then being maimed reduces his ability to do these things. This would definitely bruise his ego because he would no longer be able to think that he is better than Obi-Wan or anyone else. I think he has to feel that he is better than those around him because it makes him feel special. He needs to feel better than everyone because of his inferiority complex (brought on by his past as a slave). If he loses the ability to physically show that he is better, then maybe he would be especially angry and hateful.
  7. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    I agree that it would make him very mad ('Look what he did to me. . .'), but, I don't think it would reduce his powers any.
    But he's definately not thrilled having half of his self fried away.
  8. KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I NEED this battle to go down, and I need it to go down in the Volcanic setting. That would just do it for me on so many levels. I've been psyched about seeing it since I was a little kid, and I'll be VERY upset if GL changes it. Even though it was in the ROTJ novelization, I wish he'd throw canon out the window and go with the novelization for once (who cares if the scars on Anakin's head aren't consistent with falling in a pit of lava?) So what if it defies the laws of physics for him to fall into a pit of lava? Screw physics, this is a galaxy far, far away.

9. Sketcher Jedi Youngling

star 1
    hey wouuldn't lava, even the heat burn a human's skin? there's a lot of other possibilites to why someone can have their lungs crushed. anakin doesn't have to have his whole lower body and arms blown off. all he needs if enough nerve damage to put him in the suit.
  10. Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ick... that's a little too gory even for me. :(

I would rather have Anakin's hand bloody hand reach out from the lava or whatever he falls into thus signifying that he is still alive.... then later on we get a shot of Vader in his suit for the first time... no cyborg stuff whatsoever. That is just waaaaaaaaayyyy too Sci-Fi for me.

The analogy to the Borg Queen is a good one and is exactly why I don't want to see that.
  11. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Re: the possibility of the duel being on Coruscant

I think this is a distinct possibility for several reasons:

- ROTJ's final duel was originally over the lava pits of Had Abbadon - the capitol planet of the Galactic Empire. But now that Coruscant has been established as the central planet of at least the Old Republic, and probably the Empire too as indicated in ROTJ:SE, that could be the location of the confrontation.

- Sidious never leaves Coruscant. If that's where Anakin's fall is complete - and it most likely is - the duel with Obi-Wan is probably not far behind.

- The whole descent into hell bit mentioned earlier. Extremely symbolic - and extremely like Lucas to implement something like this.
  12. young_padme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I would love to see the Obi-Won vs Anakin battle take place on a lava lake on the surface of Coruscant. On the edge of a volcano would be.......I don't know, but I would much rather see the battle on Coruscant.

;)
  13. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    Right now as Lucas has obviously expressed interest in a lava duel (having Mc Quarrie do the paintings), I'd say it's our best uneducated bet right now. No, it's not canon and the chances of it happening are about as good as them not happening, so don't get your hopes up. But it is our best bet.
    The whole decent into Hell thing would make for some nice (although not exactly subtle) metaphor.
  14. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Actually, it also works with Anakin's wounds seen in ROTJ. He appears to have no hair on his body, right? Well, falling into a pit of fire may singe your hair off, right? :p

Also, those long gashes on his head could be from his head hitting rocks on his way down (assuming he falls off some sort of ledge), they don't have to be from the flames.
  15. royalguard96 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Anakin having no hair could also be accounted for by his skin not being exposed to sunlight for 20-plus years. Same with his skin being a pasty white. So much for that tan Anakin appears to have on the AOTC theatrical poster :D
  16. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    What does not having hair have to do with not being exposed to the sun? It's not grass, ya know. :p
  17. royalguard96 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Well I just meant that maybe his skin was somewhat dead, which might stunt the growth of hair on his body. Hmm...good thing I'm not a doctor ;)

And yes I do want to see a battle near a volcano. It's one environment we haven't seen in a SW movie yet and I drool at the thought of what ILM could do with such a place.
  18. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight

star 6
    I'm envisioning:

black rocks
    high cliffs with the lava a good distance below
    bridges and catwalks
    a lake of lava bubbling and spewing
    the whole cavern has an erie red glow (I'd expect great lighting for the scene).
    Add to this William's and Lucas' claim that DotF would figure in prominantly.
    Add to this supreb performances from Ewan and Hayden
    Add to this the saber skills of both Anakin and Obi-Wan
    Add to this what's actually going on in the scene. . .

*shivers*
  19. JayFank Jedi Master

star 1
    It does make sense. Maybe Obi-Wan force pushes Anakin into the volcano or something happens and Anakin falls in there. Thus, making him mostly machine and Darth Vader. I've never thought of that.
  20. Hatter Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If they place the duel on a fire/magma planet, they'll have to try hard to make it seem different from Geonosis. They'll have to go with black rocks, and tons of fire.
  21. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Up for new discussion.
  22. ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I would like to see the Volcano battle. I can picture it now!
  23. SITHlover Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think I would be a little disappointed if the duel between Obi and Anakin goes that way because to me it is like a huge spoiler, it is just that we have known about it for years but if it doesn't happen there may also be disappointment and upset for GL not following along with the novel. Hard to say really. I guess knowing all the Jedi are going to get axed is also a huge spoiler but we know that HAS to happen, don't we.
  24. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I suppose it would be a spoiler of sorts, but you can imagine the entire audience starting to drool when the characters are traveling anywhere near lava. :D

Actually, I think it would be fine to have the "volcano battle" - as long as (PLEASE, PLEASE GOD! I MEAN GL) it doesn't end by Anakin tripping and falling into the lava, or throwing himself in, etc.

I want to see The Duel!!! I want to see Obi-Wan take out Vaderkin!

And I agree with the "descent into hell" symbolism.
  25. Ghost_Jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    I am not sure which I would rather see: the volcano planet with black rocks, lava spewing, and an orange sky; or as previously posted the core of corsucant, with lava dripping. Either way the setting could rally add to what should be the best of all lightsaber battles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.