main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Wall - a A/P vignette inspired by the ROTS novel and Pink Floyd *Poss Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Eden, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eden

Eden Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Hello everyone! This is my first time at posting on the boards, although I have been lurking admittedly over the last few weeks reading some of the fantastic work on here.This little piece was inspired by the ROTS novel which coincindentally I was reading whilst listening to one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums. Hope you all enjoy! Constructive cristicism and comments always welcome.

All alone, or in twos, the ones who really love you, walk up and down outside the wall "Outside the Wall" - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd.

I never thought that you'd lose that light in your eyes "Poles Apart" - David Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes, Pink Floyd.

The Wall

Anakin Skywalker, my husband, has always been good at building things. When I first met him, all those years ago in Watto?s shop, he had already succeeded in building Threepio from scratch, and with a little help from my Jedi companions, he was able to complete his own pod-racer too. It is still an amazing sight to me, to watch his slender hands at work on a new addition to his star fighter, or yet another ?essential? gadget for R2. The look of intense concentration in his eyes, the delight when an engine roars back into life. In some ways it is very simple, primal even, yet so very Anakin. Fixing things becomes a welcome distraction for him in times of grief or peril. It is a focus for life?s frustrations, an unemotional, simplistic task to set his body and mind to, for a man who has always and will always feel too much.

Recently he has ceased to even feign interest in anything he used to enjoy. That spark of invention or need to scribble some crack pot design on his hand in the middle of a delegation dinner has vanished. Nothing seems to attract and maintain his attention anymore, nothing appears to reignite that flame of inspiration inside his heart and mind. The disheartened sigh when he thinks I?m not looking, the slump in his shoulders when he makes a rare escape to my apartment?I notice it all and my heart weeps.

The only thing Anakin appears to be building at the moment is a wall between his heart and the rest of the galaxy. It started off slowly, indignantly? a few bricks here and there, when his mother died. Shmi?s violent end became the strong, enduring foundations of something that has become unbreakable the three years since her death. That look in his eyes as he had fiddled absentmindedly with a spare part in the Lars?s homestead. I have never forgotten. The confused mix of overwhelming grief and despair, and something else, something deeper that I like to deny I ever saw. But it was there?oh, it was there alright.

Fear.

Pure, mind-numbing, soul destroying fear. Anakin is a powerful Jedi, even back then as Obi-Wan?s apprentice he displayed lightsaber skills that surpassed those of many of his peers. This power is not just physical, he has a brilliant, intelligent and thoughtful mind too. Right now his thoughts dwell on my destiny. A few days ago, I woke to find him gone from our bed, curtains billowing wildly in the night breeze. Sliding out from underneath the covers in a daze, I heard a soft, plaintive weeping sound emanating from the balcony. Slipping on a suitably warm bed robe I approached my husband. He was stood, his back facing me in a vain attempt to disguise the sorrows I could so easily detect on his face. I laid a hand on gently on his still trembling arm and whispered words of comfort.

?You?re going to die in childbirth?.

That was all he had said. That was all he himself needed to believe, to convince himself that he needed to obtain more power, more knowledge of the Force. His dreams of course have always become rather literal premonitions of future events. I believed what he had to say without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. I trust Anakin with my life, yet I refuse to believe that these premonitions always act themselves out. I tried to reassure him, offering various antidotes on how there was nowhere safer to give birth than Coruscant, but he was having

2. rb657062

rb657062 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow! That was so beautiful. Padme's perspective is always a beautifully honest one. Too bad there won't be more parts to it.

- Rachel

3. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Beautiful!! I love the way you traced their relationship in RotS - very nice!!

4. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Such a stunning piece! It was truly wonderful. I really enjoyed how you traced their relationship throughout RotS. Again, wonderful work! =D=

5. Eden

Eden Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Wow, thanks for the replies!

RB657062 - First of all, thank you for getting the ball rolling, so to speak! I agree about Padme's perspective being an extremely honest one, sometimes maybe even painfully honest...especially for a politician - that is a rarity, especially in the Star Wars universe!

Wendynat - Thanks again, I was a bit concerned that it was too jumpy in places. It wasn't really supposed to be that long, I just had a moment of inspiration, lol...:p

Vadersmistress Cool name! Thank you for your kind words :)

Anyone else who would like to comment please feel free.:)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent viggie!

The only thing Anakin appears to be building at the moment is a wall between his heart and the rest of the galaxy.

The wall is picking up pace even as I speak. Each distempered word between us layers another brick on the wall, further cementing his mind, his feelings from me.

These really gave me the sense of how he progressively distanced himself. Nice job! :)

7. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Aw, this was gorgeous! [face_love]

I love stories told from Padme's point of view and this was no exception. I really liked how she realized that "the wall" was Anakin's alone to climb. That was a very vivid moment and you explained it artfully.

Hope to see more from you!

8. Eden

Eden Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Thank you Healer Leona and VA_Parky for your comments. They are much appreciated! I already have an idea for a second piece I might write...I'm on a roll now :p

Anyone else lurking, your comments are welcomed, good or bad :)

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely lovely viggie! =D=

10. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice job. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but it never occurred to me to do any thing with SW and Pink Floyd. Great concept.

11. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Terrific fic Eden!
    To bad I couldn't find my copy of "The Wall" to play along side.(all I had available playing was Iron Maiden's Wasted Years:()
    Great first time post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.