main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I can't find an open thread devoted to this, so my apologies if there is, just link to me this and I'll make sure this gets locked.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...n-drugs-to-treat-heroin-abuse-as-health-issue

Vermont has just changed their policy on heroin towards a treatment model rather than a punitive model - something i am really happy to see. I think the war on drugs has been mostly a wash in terms of reducing the rates of addiction and improving public health. It has, however, put a ton of people in prison, and enriched a lot of people who are willing to produce, import, and sell drugs, and impoverished a lot of people with treatable addictions.

I guess testing it at the state level is probably the best way to go about this, but eventually, if we see the same results that places like Portugal have seen, I'd love to see a difference in the way we deal with the issue.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    some of your thoughts put into nifty graph form.

[​IMG]

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Just think how much drug addiction rates would have gone up without all that extra spending, though. I mean, we've only barely managed to keep it in check

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Treat those who use.

Punish those who deal, supply and import.

At it's simplest form, this obviously ignores many of the nuances in drug management but if you do want to "crackdown" on drugs then you should penalise the dealers and suppliers first and foremost.

Get Heisenberg too.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    As flattering as it is for you to say "my thoughts", basically I have had no independent or creative thoughts concerning this. I'm basically parroting what I think sounds good.

I think, in general, this is already our approach - but we still probably devote more effort towards users than we should.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I believe in the UK we're only just moving away from penalising the users and actually treating them instead, they are still an easy collar which misses the main problem.

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Didn't you guys have a heroin-assisted treatment program for physicians that Maggie Thatcher ditched because she didn't think the government should be paying for doctors to get high?

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I have a very vague recollection of such a thing happening yes...

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd mentioned this in a different Senate thread, but since decriminalization in Colorado, property crime has fallen by 14%, violent crime by 2%

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I imagine crimes for monetary gain would reduce most as drug use becomes more affordable.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's not necessarily a connection. The drop in crime has been steady and nationwide. Another example is Giuliani taking credit for the drop in NYC's crime rate from picking on homeless and mi-- er, being tougher on crime, despite it being more a part of a larger trend.

That said, I am in favor of legalizing pot and decriminalizing (which is not legalization) personal use of everything else.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Treat addiction like any other disease.

Address criminal behavior while high the same way any other criminal behavior is addressed.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Success!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah im pretty sure by capitalist standards that's a roaring success. i mean, the prison-industrial complex is like 1/3 of our economy at this point, right?

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    1/3 of the country with housing, food, and healthcare provided by the government? What's not to like?

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

the constant abuse and purposely inhumane conditions?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    life expectancy decreasing two years for every year spent in jail?

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    prolonged loss of connection with family and other potentially positive, grounding influences and institutions?

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Are we talking about prison or communism?

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i imagine that made a ton of sense in your head. once again i must invite you to please, go on

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    clearly you have a lot of hard questions to be asking yourself then

tom likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Frankly, the most terrifyingly uncaptialistic, illiberal and undemocratic venture I can conceive of is privatised prisons. "America! Ruining everything since 1776 [face_flag]"

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    im probably missing something obvious here but how is it "uncapitalistic" to privatise something? i guess its "illiberal", (although that word isnt really well defined), and its surely "undemocratic", but it'd hardly be the first instance of an undemocratic institution in a capitalist society, lol

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Agreed. "Capitalist" isn't a synonym for "good." It's a description of one particular economic system with a plethora of disgusting features, this being one of them.

Rogue_Ten likes this.