FF:QLD The War Room - QLDFF Events Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by BigBossNass1138, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't really have anything to add to that statement.

It was supposed to be an impromptu thing, something thought of spur-of-the-moment, for just a few of us. More people heard about it, and were interested, and were welcomed to join. Then it became a capital-D Drama.

Just tell me when and where it is. Someone. Anyone. Before I just borrow the DVDs off someone and frickin' watch it on my own. :p
  2. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    The only thing I have to add to the above statement is that I was very uncomfortable when the planning was sneaked out of the war room... I get a bit anxious when I don't really know what everyone else's plans are, or indeed if anyone else is actually going... [face_worried]

To be honest, I don't like being a ninja really :p . I'm sure I've already established my dislike of ninjas... (curse them... will get my ill-gotten hoard of jewels and lewtz back eventually [face_thinking]).
  3. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, we all know you've openly declared your allegiance with the side of the Pirates, so I wouldn't expect any better, you filthy Ninja-hater, you. :p
  4. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    That's it - I challenge you to go to see the latest Pirates movie dressed as a ninja! :eek: :p

~ imagines a matrix-like, all-out, pirates vs ninjas brawl... ~
  5. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll have you know I was all ready to do that for the previous Pirates movie. :p
  6. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4

Sorry :p
  7. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll have you know I was all ready to do that for the previous Pirates movie. :p

Yes, but you didn't :p

Spoilt Highschoolers
    Sorry :p

Ah but you're not one of the spoilt ones, MS - you're one of the good ones! :eek: Ones who show promise... [face_thinking]
  8. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow. Talk about stones thrown grown from double standards.

There was a gathering at teh Boon last weekend that a few got together impromptu, and noone is upset they weren't invited to that .. hell I LIVE here and didnt know it was on till it was on. In fact there's been plenty of smaller meetups aside of the ENTIRE FF group all over the place.

As for the planned Robotech marathon, nothing was happening, noone could decide on a date or where ... feeling that --I-- might be up to accomodating a small group if they wanted to do it, and considering I for one certainly DIDNT feel like risking an all out big bang bash where yet again --I-- am left cleaning up VOMIT, or washing VOMIT OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES CLOTHING, or washing down VOMIT DRENCHED floors or bathrooms or toilets ... then hell I'll organise one on my terms and my needs. If I dont feel I can sit across from someone who doesnt say ONE WORD to me all night then obviously I dont have to ask them along just because there'll be other FF'ers there.

There's been bunches of meets that I only heard about AFTER the fact. I didnt then didnt pull schoolyard theatrics here about it. As for .. what was it? .. "sucking it up".. well hey I usually DO, and I do GRACIOUSLY at that ... but if for once I feel like inviting just a few specific people to my place then I DONT have to automatically invite EVERYONE if I dont feel like it.

Trying to organise something discretely and not posting here was designed to avoid this very conversation. When I have been told by somone (in this group) 'oh hey this is just a few of us' - and it has happened a few times - then I've respected their wishes and keetp it to myself, I dont declare I'm going to tell others who didnt know, knowing what trouble I will cause doing that. But hell, I dont have a problem if you all wanna make a show of it and force a person to PUBLICLY declare that hey, for this meet up I myself could just do without everyone here ... GO FOR IT... make of it whatever you will if it makes you feel you look superior or martyrd.

The minority that indicated they COULD make it for the 3rd were the ones that --I-- PM'd asking if that definately suited them and that we'd get back to them for sure if it was going ahead. IF YOU HAD POSTED PREVIOUSLY YOU COULDNT MAKE THAT DAY OR HADNT SAID YOU WERE EVEN INTERESTED THEN YOU WERENT ASKED ABOUT IT. Also if anyone believe themselves excluded then ask yourself why was that, and address THAT. Dont throw it up here trying to run others down by implying there's some elitist crap going on. I've been left out of things, and I go 'well, if I wasnt wanted I wasnt wanted'.

We dont ALL get along all the time, and not everybody gets asked to everything all the time.

These were MY two days off and I ventured to be accomodating as I FELT I could be. So why dont the grumble-bums now debate amoungst yourselves here how fair or wise it was to force a persons hand in this and get back to me if you still wanna have Robotech Saturday/Sunday.

9. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's nothing wrong with small or invitation-only. But if something begins its life as a public event, it shouldn't be suddenly changed to a clandestine, hush-hush invitation-only event, especially not behind the back of the person who had the idea for it in the first place.

As I've previously indicated, I'm just about ready to wash my hands of this entire ridiculous performance. I don't know if I particularly want to come on Saturday anymore.
  10. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Alls I knows is that this marathon was taking forever to organize then I recieved a pm, which to me, seemed like something pro-active was being done about the situation.

well yeah, the person who had the idea in the first place should have been invited but i'm not up with the full 'going's on'.....

So is it on or not for sat??[face_worried] cause i'm giving up on-set work to go up there because i don't get to see you guys enough[face_peace]
  11. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow.

IC. Know how you're thinking and understand where your head is at.

Agreed that this has got a little out of hand and perhaps we're all acting a little juvenile about it.

We're all friends, but don't get along all on the same level with every one of us. It hurts that there is a close group here though that has built up a level of trust and friendship albeit hiccupped occasionally by our personal friendships and conflicts. All of which happen in a group of friends. Hope we're grown up enough to get issues out there and even if we can't be blood brothers, can work out how to keep being friends.

I'd be sick of having stuff at my place if I was IC and Goobs, and perhaps I jsut wouldn't be ofering if it was a big drama for me to invite people I didn't want there. I have had stuff I didn't want everyone invited to and usually that was on the level..of hey, I feel like hanging with some close friends so I'll invite them around, and not "hey it's a FF gathering so it's open invite". And yes even open invite should be restrictive occasionally.

Issue I think most of us have here is that one person was excluded from something that was basically his idea and a date and time was arranged without a few of us having any input into it and then we were asked to not post or talk about it. Something we'd all rather not do.

I want to say more of course but I do value my friendships with the parties involved here and am attempting to keep them in tact. Sometimes honestly is the best way to get through something like this, and I've let you know IC how I felt about it.

Jsut a gathering to see a series of anime people. The world will not end over this.

Not worth damaging soemthing it's taken many of us a long time to find. Good bunch of friends.

Can we try?

12. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    The minority that indicated they COULD make it for the 3rd were the ones that --I-- PM'd asking if that definately suited them and that we'd get back to them for sure if it was going ahead.

Narelle, I was one of the one's who indicated that I couldn't attend on the 3rd. Why did I get a PM?

So why dont the grumble-bums now debate amoungst yourselves here how fair or wise it was to force a persons hand in this

No one forced you to volunteer the boon as a meeting place, or for you to be a host. As I told you before, if you wanted to avoid needless anxiety, you DO NOT volunteer for unnecessary work.

I for one certainly DIDNT feel like risking an all out big bang bash where yet again --I-- am left cleaning up VOMIT, or washing VOMIT OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES CLOTHING, or washing down VOMIT DRENCHED floors or bathrooms or toilets

This wasn't ever supposed to be a bash though - how many movie/tv marathons have you been to where people have drunk so much they get sick? This holds no water with me.

There was a gathering at teh Boon last weekend that a few got together impromptu, and noone is upset they weren't invited to that ..

Actually, I was kinda miffed finding out after the fact - I generally like hanging with you guys. :( Not something I worried overly about though...

I had other statements to add to the effect of refuting sensationalist arguements, but I don't think they are appropriate to put here... (Needless to say, I think IC could be a fantastic journal column writer.)

:( Come on though, we're all supposed to be friends here... Can't we just have a big yelling match and get it out our systems instead of simmering to ourselves? [face_worried] (Donut fight? battle to the death with soft cushions? Gladiator-like foray with tridents and short swords? Anyone? ~sigh~)
  13. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I'm up for a reschedule.

You've made some good points, all of you. (And Bec, that other day turned out to be pretty much Dan and I talking Poker for 3 hours and a few others barely getting a word in [face_blush].)

IC, Marathons (such as the really good ones done at Marv's, and even the Heroes one), aren't parties. People are there to watch the shows, not to party hard (for which our group does hold spearate events for).

I dug around a bit and chuckled at BBN's Post a fortnight ago:
    Back to Robotech, though. Let's at least make a token effort of doing this in an orderly, diplomatic, organised fashion (yeah right...:p). Everybody interested in coming, post their available/preferred times.

So...
    The Sat night thingy is still on. Some people can make it, some can't. Turns out I would be missing some of it with something I had planned to do that has come up (I know how you feel about that now Magnus! Ack, torn!). I don't mind rocking up a bit later and missing the first few eps (but a later date would suit me better, personally). Another date of next Saturday (10th) was also suggested a few pages back.

Magnus wrote 10 days ago: Pity Sammich didn't just film us all discussing when to actually hold this marathon over the last few weeks. It'd be the geek equivalent of Metallica: Some Kind of Monster!
    QFfnT.
  14. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    There was a gathering at teh Boon last weekend that a few got together impromptu, and noone is upset they weren't invited to that .. hell I LIVE here and didnt know it was on till it was on. In fact there's been plenty of smaller meetups aside of the ENTIRE FF group all over the place.

Well actually, I didn't know about that. Unless that was the BBQ Jodes has referred to. Impromptu gatherings I have no problem with whatsoever. Spur of the moment, 'oooh boy it would be nice to have some company right now' gatherings are not the issue here.

As for the planned Robotech marathon, nothing was happening, noone could decide on a date or where ... feeling that --I-- might be up to accomodating a small group if they wanted to do it, and considering I for one certainly DIDNT feel like risking an all out big bang bash where yet again --I-- am left cleaning up VOMIT, or washing VOMIT OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES CLOTHING, or washing down VOMIT DRENCHED floors or bathrooms or toilets ... then hell I'll organise one on my terms and my needs. If I dont feel I can sit across from someone who doesnt say ONE WORD to me all night then obviously I dont have to ask them along just because there'll be other FF'ers there.

Fair enough the planning had been stalled, and good on you for taking it upon yourself to try and organise something. But you raise a few points that I would like to address.
    - Firstly, there was no mention of this being a big all out bash. It was about a bunch of geeks, gathering to watch a bit of anime. Unless of course there's some law that say's we can't get together unless we consume alcohol. When I think of watching an anime, drinking is that last thing that comes to mind.
    - Actually, I would like to address this whole drinking/vomiting issue, as it's something that has been playing on my mind. Obviously, the group as a whole likes to drink, and generally at celebrations there is quite a consumption of alcohol. I've been party to that quite a few times. But after observing the shenanigans from a sober perspective, I am quite frankly horrified. We are all adults (well, excepting the sandwhich here), and as such yes, we should take it upon ourselves to ensure that we drink responsibly. We should know what our limits are, and make sure we don't pass beyond them. But when we do, it's nice to know that our friends will be watching out for us, and be able to make a judgement of 'yes, such and such has had too much to drink, no more for them'. What I witnessed was someone so drunk that they were obviously headed down that slope to the toilet bowl, and yet they were still encouraged to continue drinking. I distinctly recall protesting to this fact, yet to no avail. We all know the end of the story. I've come to realise my limits, and I don't ever intend on passing them again. There is a seriously disturbing trend (in society as a whole) towards binge drinking; it's dangerous. Just something to think about.
    - As for the last, fair enough that's your perogative.

There's been bunches of meets that I only heard about AFTER the fact. I didnt then didnt pull schoolyard theatrics here about it. As for .. what was it? .. "sucking it up".. well hey I usually DO, and I do GRACIOUSLY at that ... but if for once I feel like inviting just a few specific people to my place then I DONT have to automatically invite EVERYONE if I dont feel like it.
    And I'm sure you're not the only one who's heard about these meets after the fact. Again, that's not the issue here. Great sensationalist writing there by the way *two thumbs up* Fair enough if you want to invite people to your house, I have no quarrel with that. But this was not your meet to choose who was invited and who wasn't. It was a FF meet that was being organised to benefit the whole FF (whoever was interested in attending). It's great if you want to volunteer your place for the meet - all the more brownie points for you for being so hospitible. But that does not automatically give you the right to pick and choose who will be invited. If you volunteer,
  15. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree[face_peace]

16. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Holy moly :eek: Where did this keetle of fish come from? And I'm not even hungry :p Let it be known that I had voiced interest and did not receive a text message. Of course I hate my mobile and often don't check so there could be a message there now that I know nothing about... Let me have a look... Ok, no message pertaining to said event. Let that be lessen to you all. If you want to tell me something e-mail me, PM me, phone me on the hard line, or better yet send smoke signals cause I hate my mobile and never use the darn thing anyway.

Anyway, I do not fear if the Robotech marathon is a complete shemazzle. (Hey I think I invented a new word :D ) Cause I have it ;) Small screen, kick ass sound! Small screen, kick ass sound! :p Thus if doesn't go ahead I'll just watch it at my place, feel free to join me ;) Did I mention that I have a Kick Ass sound system? :p
  17. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you hear that?
    Implied invite to G's place everybody! ;)
    Seeya after work :p

(Just kidding, I have chores... [face_thinking])
  18. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Have you got air conditioning yet G? Could go some right now

The invites were done by pm btw, and I'm pretty sure you really wouldn't want to see Robotech anyway. It's about space and it's in this cartoon style called anime. Hang on. :)
  19. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    I got me free air :) Open the windows and its all free :D But you're right, cartoon space battles with mecha robots beating the crap out of each other... I'd hate it :p Makes me wonder why I bought the complete set :confused:
  20. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's been said I should be a journalist given the 'spin' I had put on things, weeell... there's others that have now ursurped my skills given the degree and amount of imagined catalysts and circumstances they've now introduced into the conversation here.

As for one hypocrit calling another a hypocrit ..... It's been interesting reading where peoples true colours lay just the same. Interesting that some were HAPPY to say they were coming, are performing moral-backflips now that it's hitting the ceiling here on the thread. I could have 'out-ed' a few home truths about others too, but here isnt the place to directly run actual specific people down for specifics. You think you're a bigger person having done that to me? Fine. My references were generalisations and will remain that way.

Addittionally, watching Robotech sometime was NEVER just MD's & MD's alone idea in the firstplace thank you. He posted after being present at a conversation about having one shared by myself and BBN here at teh Boon one night. But many people have mentioned doing it on and off for over a year.

No one is hijacking an event just because they decide, well, seeing as the group hadnt done any more/planned said event - nothing had been said in this thread in so long that someone even ASKED was the thread now dead - so wanting to still watch it myself I CAN decide to organise my own evening for it inviting whoever I feel like. Make out of that all you want but it doesnt change that that's what it was.

Replan another run if it's SO vital to have a FF one. RT will be playing on our TV this weekend and those that said they were coming still can if they feel like it and if they dont want to now then thats quite ok too.

cheers

EDIT: The problem IS that what I have problems with HAS been stated in writing or said to respective person/s faces. Nor can progress be achieved when that person that ignores you the first time you said 'xyz isnt ok, stop doing it' or they dismiss you to your face on the occassions you TRIED to approach them. So be it.
  21. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    someone even ASKED was the thread now dead

Hon, you started pming/planning before that comment was made...

I'd be interested to hear these "home-truths" you know about others - especially any about me (surely there's at least one :p ). If experience has told me anything, it's that there is always more than one side to a story... And being the justice-seeking mediator I am, I certainly like to hear all sides...

edit: Call me stupid if you like (and I mean this in all seriousness) What's a hypercrit? Is that some form of super energized critisism? [face_blush]

edit again: sorry, I've been reading this word for the last .. hour? And only realised it's supposed to be hypocrite... [face_blush]
  22. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Hmmmm, PM was it? Well I didn't get one of those either. Meh, seems I'm always forgotten anyway. Yes I know I am the guy who sits there quietly and says nothing but you know. That's who I am, however the down side is I'm always forgotten but I'm used to it. No skin off my back I assure you. Besides your all snobs anyway :p Just kidding ;)

I love you guys [face_love]

Ahem... Be that as it may I'll stay home seeing as nobody can agree on anything. Meh, probably just as well the bus ride surely would have made me sick. :p
  23. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3

oh GOOD put down! (good point, use the word, should spell it rite) But yeah, you truly are all much bigger people than me. Actually there's now been mention of burning at the stake, but hey, I'll swing with that too! BBQ!!! .. the QLDFF-way!

Why dont you all come over and actually kick my butt in person if that's the only thing that'll make you feel better. Mind you it'll cost you 10 bucks a turn, hey I may's well profit somehow!
  24. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, that wasn't a put down :(

I'm deadly serious I was making fun of my self there - I had no idea what you were saying for a good part of an hour.

I don't want to kick your butt Narelle, I want to be friends with you. And damnit sometimes being friends means having people serve you the cold hard truth, no matter how you like it. You've given me enough lectures over the short time I've known you, and quite frankly I appreciate the input. but you won't even consider that some of the arguements being put forward might actually be valid.

I wasn't upset before - I was trying to be diplomatic as possible, but damnit, I am pissed off now.

And the "is the thread dead" comment, I've been caught out too many times making emotive posts on LJ where I'll misquote something, so when I see other people doing the same thing in a negative light it really annoys me now.
  25. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    And serving this 'truth' here on a board, in the derogatory manner in which it IS being delivered is the appropriate time and manner? That is the constructive way friends go about it .. um HOW? This was NEVER done directly to ANY of you here on a thread and least of all by me.

EDIT: Continue this conversation but without me. I've explained as much as is necessary and I wont be responding any further