main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The War Room - QLDFF Events Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by BigBossNass1138, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Given how miserable the day is, and the fact that I loath the cigrette smoke outside - I will be waiting inside the cinemas. I'll probably leave my place around 4.30ish, depending on how many trains are headed into town - and how easy it is to jump to a line that goes to South Bank, I should be there before 5.30ish.

2. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I didn't get to see Batman with you fine folk this week, so will probably be venturing to Chermside tonight for food and a viewing at some point this evening.

Anyone who didn't get to go, or would like to have a second viewing, sms me or some such.

3. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm assuming that tonight = friday?

4. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    nods

looking at seeing the 720 session atm

5. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    UPDATE!!

Due to that session being sold out, we're in K row, middle of the Cinema for the 8:30pm session at Chermside - be quick if you're planning on coming - get your tix online..

6. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Was going to come, but I feel absolutely wretched. Anethestic just wore off from getting fillings done and my tooth feels horrid - after making it clear what would be done and what wouldn't be touched I get the vague feeling the dentist didn't listen.

7. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Stoopid dentists. Hope you're feeling better Lozz.

I feel like watching the clone wars series before we see the next movie. ANyone up for that? I should buy a copy first I guess.

mmm..booze and clone wars cartoons..sounds like a Saturday night.

8. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Yeah - I have it here - somewhere...

Clone Wars sounds good - any takers?

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    peeks in and checks things out. smiles and leaves.

10. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    What does that mean???

Smlies... of assurance we're still Star Warsians?
    That we're lunatics?
    Gah!!

And in our own little world, we suddenly have a new greater region RSA - what became of Hawk?

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I killed him.. [face_devil] Now you must fear me....or something like that.. ;)

12. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Huh? Did somebody say something?

13. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2000
    When did RSA succession adopt the promotion principles of the Sith order??

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That'd be the day I killed Hawk! :D [face_devil]

15. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Huh? There it was again... I'm sure somebody's speaking. :confused:

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    o_O Watching you Smurfie! :p

17. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Planning the rest of my kid-free weekend. Yes I miss him..yada yada..but I get to do grown up stuff!!

Sunday arvos at the powerhouse they are back to having free Brissie bands from 3.30 and then free comedy from 6pm. I've not been down on a Sunday arvo despite Kahli's attempts to get me there previously so may head that way tomorrow arvo if anyone else is bored, and it's not freezing. Good place for a game of soccer or some photo taking too. Ah who are we kidding, we'd sit, drink and chat :)

18. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Events as of 5 August 2008:

Nothing, allegedly. [face_thinking] Really though, aren't there movies coming out? Wait, there was that Wall-E thingy...

-- Wall-E Charity Screening: 31 August, 11:00am @ Chermside Cinemas. Refer to this awesome thread.

SERIOUS BUSINESS: Because it's Serious. Go here for serious discussion.

Someone ought to go bump up the Serious Business thread before it gets locked. [face_plain]

The Globe movie doubles: Times and dates for various doubles will be posted here. Check back regularly. Movie doubles that have interest invested in them will be added to the main event list.

Suggested Events: For discussion of suggested events, marathons and other vague happenstances, please refer to this page.

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    A few people have suggested getting together to watch the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics. This will involve me drinking and hurling abuse at the Chinese Government whilst bitching about how this country spends too much on sport and not enough on education, health and basic infrastructure.

If that sounds like your idea of fun, you're welcome to join me Friday night :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    oh, it's been four years already:rolleyes:

:p

21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Sounds like hillarious fun.

22. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    I actually love the Olympics, sport in general and all the Olympics are supposed to stand for. For someone who came from the lower ranks of the society and surrounded by a family heavily involved, sport always had a way of giving hope, making things bearable and gave a level playing field, so to speak, to dream from. Need sport, need art, need education, need roads. It's all part of the one thing.

Sure it's China, and we've all got lots to hate China for, and the US, and multiple other nations, and the sheer money spent on an Olympic event could so be spent in other ways. But it's not. It's something that we traditionally do. Every 4 years we attempt to do something that unites this planet in a way that not much else does. It's superficial, and cliched and full of flaws, but I feel like it's always been a beacon to many, and something we can point to and say, "we belong to one species and we like to run". Not me personally, but many like to run. :)

So, no, opting out of any evening of bagging sport and the Olympics specifically. I'm gonna try to watch as much as I can in the next couple of weeks, and try to believe in the dream a while.

In other events planning :)..

Clone Wars comes out shortly and Goobs and I are still going to head to the yatala drive-in some evening to watch Star Wars and Dark Knight from the comfort of a vehicle..or a deck chair in front of said vehicle.

And Clone Wars..of course..we should really see that together if possible.... shouldn't we???

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    That would kinda make sense, seeing as we all hang out on a Star Wars forum and all... [face_thinking]

24. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    What's that? These forums are all about Star Wars? :eek: Dear me, so it is 8-}

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    My apologies Kahlan, I didn't mean to offend. I was just being my usual facetious self. I watch the Opening Ceremony every time with my mum, no matter what time it's on. However she's out of town this weekend, so others will be joining me. Yeah, I could have mentioned that, but always go for the joke.

I've got my issues with China for hosting the Olympics, being religious, political, and justice related. I've also got my issues with the previous Australian Government increasing funding to the AIS whilst letting other systems rot in an effort to maintain the "bread and circuses" doctrine. It's a good sign that we're actually fielding a smaller team than the previous Olympics as spending must be down. I understand that sport is a great universal equaliser; it knows no international borders or barriers. But I also know that it's an effective political tool; there was a reason the Australian Cricket Team used to boycott South Africa during Aparteid. However I also realise that it'd be unfair for an oversight body to declare a boycott without the consent of the athletes intending to compete; they've all worked hard to be the best they can be at their chosen field. Which is what the Olympics is all about; to find those who can achieve what no other human can, like Jesse Owens or Carl Lewis. It angers me whenever discussion begins suggesting that we allow drugs to be used legally in the sport; it's not about leveling the playing field, it's about finding the best.

Incidentally, the head of the IOC Drug Research and Testing facility is a certified mad scientist; he has to come up with ways to test for drugs that haven't technically been invented yet. Crazy, but a damned genius.

The Olympics for me is about people like Derek Redmond, who tore his hamstring in 1992 and had his father help him to the finish line, or Kerri Strug, who won the Gold in 1996 by achieving the winning gymnastics dismount on an injured leg - she had to be carried out by her coach to receive her medal. Or Lawrence Lemieux, a Canadian sailor who in 1988 gave up a certain Silver medal to rescue two Singapore sailors who were in danger of drowning in a boat race. Or Gabriela Andersen-Schiess, who despite massive heat exhaustion, managed to finish the Women's Marathon in 1980, the first time the event was held. However inspiring moments like this are few and far between now; events like those concerning Sally Robbins overshadow the competition, and make hardend cynics harder still.

I want to believe in the Olympic dream. I hope these Olympics give me something to believe in. And I've waffled for too long, so that's all I'll say on the matter.

So, Clone Wars? When shall we do that? :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider