main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Warrior Is a Child - AU - Obi-Wan Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: The Warrior Is a Child

Author: bek (a.k.a. Bekah_K)

Genre: AU

Characters: Obi-Wan

Summary: Thinking back on his own apprenticeship, Obi-Wan realizes that the Jedi and the Republic are placing Anakin into the same misleading perception he himself had been in.

Disclaimer: The character (Obi-Wan) belongs to Lucas. I make no profit from this. It's just a hobby. The title, The Warrior Is a child, is from a song by Twila Paris.

Author's Note: I know I should be working on ?Life Beyond the Code? and I do have an update for it which will be posted soon. However, this little bunny wouldn?t leave me alone. It didn?t come out exactly as I had originally envisioned it, for some reason they never really do. Hope you enjoy! ;)

The Warrior Is a Child

Master Qui-Gon and I had been branded as one of the Order?s best when he was alive, and because of this labeling we were usually given the more difficult missions, assignments that usually turned into aggressive negotiations. Whether that was because we were the culprits assigned to the task or because the missions actually were perilous, I don?t know. There really wasn?t anything impressive about us by any means; what many failed to realize was that survival instincts become increasingly more attuned when placed into numerous scenarios in which to practice them.

Once I obtained the level of apprenticeship, I was treated as an adult as the preconception of a child at this rank was non-existent in the eyes of the Jedi elders; therefore, my presence was a requirement during all our mission briefings.

Once apprenticed, one would think that childish ways no longer followed so closely behind, and perhaps in the eyes of the Jedi Council that was true; however, I disagree. Gossip and hearsay is something that follows one even when he or she becomes a padawan. It takes some a little longer than others to grow out of unnecessary necessities. The whispers I could hear when traveling about the halls weren?t as quiet as some would have liked to believe.

?Perfect padawan.?

?I heard he has amazing skill with a lightsaber.?

?No one can get near him in battle.?

?How does he deal with all the death and destruction he sees on missions??

?How can he be so calm and collected all the time??

?Doesn?t he feel anything? Is he even human??

There were so many times that I had to bite my tongue and make myself keep walking. The only consolation I had was the fact that one day they would understand; for I learned the hard way that experience was the best teacher. For the past few years our missions have always ended with success. The dignitaries of the planets and the Senate were flawlessly coming into agreement during consultations.

Master had gone as far as to lessen his involvement in these treaties allowing me to step up and negotiate the terms. Many of the houses of parliament had mentioned to my master time and again that his padawan was the most resilient delegate they had encountered in over a decade of dealing with the Republic. When I was present to hear such compliments, I made sure they understood that I was nothing more than the product of a good instructor.

Because of our success rate, we were highly favored. Even in the areas of the galaxy where laws were non-existent and the people starved under their head of state. The members of society that wanted a change in their governing body or to become a member of the Republic (as to stop the greed that was a major factor in these communities) would in secret summon the senate and in turn the Jedi. Greed and lust were powerful entities that drove even the most gentle of rulers into beings to be despised.

Appalling, disgust, and revulsion, were only a few of the words that had made their way into my expanding vocabulary. We fought against tyrants such as these. We fought for the populace, for their safety and right to live without fearing that soldiers would

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Whoa! That was simply amazing! =D= The scene where Obi-Wan comforts Anakin made me tear up! Bravo!

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was quite lovely. I loved that both Qui-Gon and later Obi-Wan were perceptive enough to let their padawans mourn for the lives lost and the pain they see. And it was quite warming to know that they shielded them from prying eyes and hard stares so that they could let go.

well done!=D=

4. Silfion

Silfion Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    My master would comfort me with his baritone voice when uttering soothing words; its okay to mourn Obi-Wan, it?s all right to feel. => I loved that part

[face_peace] Very nice fic, I liked how it switched from Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan to Obi-Wan /Anakin. Bravo!

5. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    This story is very good. =D= The song fit it perfectly! After I finished reading this, I had to go and listen to the song.

?Do you master? Do you still seek comfort amidst all of this war??

Briefly looking over Anakin?s shoulder, I watch as the remnants of a blue form disappears. ?Yes, padawan, I do.?

I liked that even though Qui-Gon is dead, he still comforts Obi-wan. :)

~KT

6. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    So beautiful and sad. I can see the need for that comfort and place away from whispers and expectations when so much is expected of someone so young.

I love the comparison of Anakin being the "hero without fear," when it is so far from the truth.

I love this song also. Always been one of my favorites.

7. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    It wasn?t that there was anything impressive about us by any means; survival instincts become increasingly more attuned when placed into numerous scenarios in which to practice.

Sums up Obi-Wan wonderfully. Cool vignette. :)

8. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    bek, that was incredible!

I love first person stories, and I have grown to love the character of Obi-Wan as well. You combined the two of those beautifully in this vignette.

Very well done!

=D=

9. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    [face_dancing] *sing song voice*
    Something new by Bek! Something new by Bek!
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I really enjoyed reading this, it was very touching and very beautifully written, to the point of-

:_| :_| :_| :_|

I really liked how it shifted from Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon to
    Obi-Wan/Anakin, and it also showed just how similar Obi-Wan and Anakin are...

The song was just perfect. It really adds to the haunting quality of this viggie, especially the way it is narrated.

A pleasure to read! =D= =D=

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow!! :eek: That was awesome! =D= Excellent work! Loved how the 'It's all right to mourn' was passed on to Obi and Obi said it to Anakin! [face_love]

Wonderful!! Loved the emotional take and the flow of words! :D

11. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    That was beautiful!!!!

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was great

13. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Inside the armor you wear isn?t a soldier, padawan, there?s a child.

:_| So true! And I liked the mush at the end. [face_love]

14. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Very nice work here. Emotional too. I love how you did two generations here. :)

15. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Beautiful job! I love the parallel between Qui/Obi and Obi/Anakin. So sweet that the masters shield the Padawans and let them grieve. [face_love]

16. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Beautiful. I had a lump inside my throat the entire time. How lovely that both Masters were able to comfort their Padawans when the time was right, and assure them that there was nothing wrong in their feelings. Wonderfully written--a new insight into all three characters.

17. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Oh Excellent vig! Qui-Gon's perception that Obi-Wan needs that emotional release transfering into Obi-Wan understanding Anakin's need is perfect. I really like this! And I love the hint of Ghostie!Qui at the end!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.