main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Newsletter ~ Maiden Edition ~ September 2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by WQGL_NewsEditor, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WQGL_NewsEditor

WQGL_NewsEditor Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2006
    The Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Newsletter
    Maiden Edition
    The Many Faces of Padmé Naberrie Amidala Skywalker

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/leia_naberrie/WQGL%20Newsletter%201/cover2.jpg]

Page 1: Index & Newsletter News
    Page 2: The Fashion Police ~ Reviews
    Page 3: Writing Tips ~ The Roulette Gladiators Sing! (Er... Speak Out)
    Page 4: Spotlight ~ Interview with Jade_Max
    Page 5: It 'Aint Easy Being Queen ~ Crossword Puzzle
    Page 6: Spotlight ~ Interview with Knight_Ander
    Page 7: It 'Aint Easy Being Queen ~ Pad-Oku
    Page 8: Spotlight ~ Interview with Padlei
    Page 9: NNC (Naboo News Cast) ~ News
    Page 10: Credits

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page I

Disclaimer: No handmaidens, husbands or hair-dressers were killed in the making of this newsletter.

Hello everyone! Welcome to the Maiden Edition of the Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Newsletter, a production of the Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Padmé Amidala discussion/challenge thread. A big thank you to the Editing team for their tireless, inspired, constantly creative efforts through periods of Darth Real Life, Darth School Starts, Darth I Work Best Under Pressure? They persisted through these trials and brought us the final product we have today. You guys are the best.

This is the a super-duper-Naboo-tailor-engineered-bumper-packed special Maiden Edition, so there's plenty of treats for everyone! The theme of this edition is 'The Many Faces' of Padmé and we all know she has a big wardrobe. We?ll be turning the spotlight on not one, not two but three talented Padmé writers. There?ll be story reviews of old favourites from the archives; fashion advice for the Clotheshorse Anonymous; brain teasers for the alumni of the Naboo Youth Legislative, that haven of prodigies, and lots, lots more!

So sit back, relax and enjoy.

The Editor @};-

2. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page II

The Fashion Police ~ Reviews

Title: Everything Ends
    Author: geo3
    Genres : Angst; Drama; Vignette
    Primary Characters : Anakin Skywalker; Padmé Amidala
    Secondary Characters : Captain Typho; Dormé; Sabé
    Timeframe: post-RotS, AU

Once a Queen and Senator, Padmé Skywalker is now a wanted criminal. Along with her three loyal companions, Captain Typho and her two handmaidens, Dormé and Sabé, she is fleeing in a rundown cargo ship to one last, desperate chance for refuge on Alderaan. When their ship is caught and boarded by a galactic cruiser, she knows that only one being can be there. Her estranged husband, the man who destroyed her planet in search of her. He is here for her. And she has to find the calm within her to face him, and make this nightmare end.

No, this is not what happened after Revenge of the Sith. This story was posted on the archives on February 16, 2004, over a year before the movie was released, and we learned that Padmé died moments after childbirth in a sterile medical center on Polis Massa. And while the events of Revenge of the Sith have made this story an AU, it remains a plausible alternative of how things might have ended for Padmé. More to the point, it shows a Padmé I think more than a few people wish we could have seen.

Padmé is brave, much like the Queen who led her people into battle in The Phantom Menace, but she has changed, and grown up, and has gained a new maturity and wisdom. She knows who this dark lord is (who is never referred to as Darth Vader in the story). She knows that the way for her loyal companions to live, and not die for their loyalty, is not to resist or to fight back. This time, there are no decoys to take her place. Padmé knows the nightmare is coming for her. She is afraid, because she knows just how much there is to be afraid of, but despite her fear, she will face it down.

It?s interesting, despite their noticeable differences, to compare the opening scene of this story to the opening of Attack of the Clones, when six people died in an attack meant for Padmé, a sacrifice that they had known they might make. There are also echoes of the opening scene of A New Hope. Once again, we have a group of loyal guards, including the handmaidens, who are described as both nurturing and heavily armed, who are prepared to die to protect their mistress, who is the target of the attack. Only this time, the scene changes. Padmé knows how to save them, and she does. They do not go down for her, and because of her, in a fight they cannot win.

Then, there is Padmé?s confrontation with the dark lord. It is clear at this point that this was story was an AU even before the release of Revenge of the Sith, as Anakin, or Darth Vader, or the Dark Lord, is not in his infamous black suit. Apparently, in this universe, the duel with Obi-Wan never took place, or at least not as we know it. While this goes against canon, it makes sense narrative-wise for the story. It is much more frightening for Padmé to look at a man who resembles her husband, and yet, is not:

Quote:
    His eyes?when Padmé looked into them she was frightened. How could a person?s eyes change like that? They had once been blue, a bright, sparkling blue like the lakes on Naboo. Now they seemed darker, and somehow blank and lifeless?

While the Dark Lord is clear that his master, the Emperor, wants Padmé dead, he is here on her ship for other reasons. Oddly, he is willing to let her go, providing she contacts no one. It is then that he reveals that he had tried to find her on Naboo, which in this universe, was invaded, destroyed, and handed over to

3. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page III

Writing Tips ~ The Roulette Gladiators Sing! (Er... Speak Out)

In the Spring/Summer of 2005, the Warrior Queen Gentle Lady thread wowed the boards :p by presenting for the first time ever, an AU! Career Roulette challenge. This idea was a hybrid of two separate challenge ideas: the 100 AU challenge at livejournal.com and the (in)famous roulette challenge started by vader-incarnate here at our own JC. The roulette was very successful. A lot of you will remember reading Padmé as she made her way across the galaxy as an of inter-galactic spy, war-front surgeon, lovelorn school teacher, to mention just a few. More importantly, a lot of writers had fun with these wild escapades and realized new and wonderful things about our darling Padmé.

However, despite efforts by our fearless reporter, getting these writers to talk proved a little difficult. In the end, we had to call in a few "favours" [face_devil] , made them offers they couldn?t refuse ]-} and suddenly, they were singing like canaries? :cool:

Author: aldocassidy
    Padmé Career: The Virtuous Nun (Religion)
    Story: Fulfilment

The Low Down:
    "Hmmm, how to write Padme? It's a very fascinating question. I've certainly wrote quite a lot of her, but yet I have never really stopped and seriously considered how I, the stereotypical guy if there ever was one, attempt to get inside the head of such a compelling female character...

The thing about Padme is that that, along with Anakin and Obi-Wan and the other major characters of SW, is that her character, the very essence of who she is, is not only so well developed not only in George Lucas's movies, but also by all of the fanfic writers at this and other websites that it's hard to deviate from her character without arousing unwanted attention and controversy?

With that said, however, I think that, although the characters made decisions out of their own volition, so much of the events that ended up with tragic and triumphant circumstances were a result of circumstancial coincidences and pure luck, whether good or bad. Thus, I think that sets a key to writing SW characters, including, and especially, the somewhat rigid personality of Padme: Change and manipulate the circumstances, and you can make the same characters act out of character...without being out of character. "

------

Author: Brodiew
    Padmé Career: The Ancient and Noble Art of Assassination (Assassin)
    Stories: Daughters of Destruction; Politics As Usual

The Low Down:
    "Well, bobhill, it was actually the first time I had ever written Padme. In the career challenge, I was able to use what I knew of Padme from the films, but change or twist her to whatever my imagination and the particular career choice called for.

I don't know that I have any secrets, but I wanted to make the nice, caring, and loving Padme into a cold, calculating and merciless Padme. What I did not want to do is remove Padme from her Senate seat. In writing "Politics As Usual", I wanted Padme to have her own Dark Side weakness if you will, the Republic. she would save it no matter what the cost. I also wanted Padme to be formidable enough to defy Palpatine, and yet powerful enough not face immediate consequences."

------

Author: Jade_Max
    Padmé Career: Jack of All Trades - Medicine, Seamstress, Smuggler, Oh my!
    Stories: Even Angels Have to Earn Their Wings (Medicine) ; Hard Love (Medicine) ; A Dress for Pooja (Seamstress) ; Changing Strands (Seamstress) ; It's t

4. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page IV

Spotlight ~ Interview with Jade_Max

A prolific writer who has proven time and time again, her ability to juggle several stories without once dropping the ball. An adventuror of a writer who travels from Before to Beyond, and returns with gifts of treasured stories, and riches beyond measure... The newly wed whose romances have that extra, special touch.... ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you....

Jade_Max!!!

What was the first story that you ever wrote featuring Padmé?

My first story with Padmé was... er... I think it was I Need You on the old boards. I don?t recommend reading it though. I don?t portray Padmé with the strength I do in later stories. Why? I admit I was focusing on Anakin in it. The first story I wrote with a focus on Padmé was Wrong Again and, other than the ending, I?m still pleased with how it turned out.

What current story involving Padmé are you working on?

Lemme see. Posted ? thus far I?m working on A New Path to Follow which is a carry over full-length fic of Padmé in the Medical profession. Un-posted, and still in the works, is a Anakin centric fic ? I don?t have my writing in front of my or I?d give you the title...

What do you specifically like about Padmé as a character?

Several things. Mostly I like that she?s a dynamic character. She has emotions and feelings, but if also capable of being calculating if needed. I think she?s one of the best rounded characters in the Star Wars universe because of her strength and flaws ? she appears to have an equal number of them. I also feel she was gypped in episode 3. She should have played a far stronger, and more concrete role ? even though the focus was on Anakin ? because she would have been an important part of those events.

What changes would you make to the way that Padmé was portrayed in the Star Wars movies?

Episodes 1 and 2? Nothing. Episode 3? To me, she came across as a stay-at-home-waiting-for-my-man-have-no-backbone woman so I would have to say I?d have changed the majority of it. I found the parts she was in lacking the vivaciousness of her previous portrayals. She seemed more like a cardboard cut out, and less like the dynamic, energetic character she?d been in the past. I would have liked to see that fire continued and carried through in episode 3.

What is one area that you feel that has not been explored enough or at all with Padmé?

We see her as a senator and in that role far too often. We don?t see enough of her life with Anakin, of her doubts and fears, her dreams. We rarely see her flaws ? though it?s obvious they are there. I would have liked to see more of her strength come through in her relationship with Anakin.

Do you wish that the ending of RotS was different in regards to Padmé dying?

Yes. I think she had everything to live for and that killing her off was a way of just taking the coward?s way out. But ? if she hadn?t died, I admit I don?t see her being willing to give Luke up. Not willingly anyway.

What do you feel about Padmé and Anakin's relationship?

Tough question. I think I can sum it up in one word. Communication. They lack it at crucial points and speak of thins that have no significance at others. I think Padmé could have adverted Anakin?s fall, despite his fears, if he?d be willing to communicate and talk to her, to trust her, about the dreams and his intentions.

I love the passion between them though. The tragic thing is that if they?d waited to be married until Anakin had matured, and he was more in control, I think he would have been more capable of dealing with everything. The passion would still have been there, but it would have been tempered with trust, understanding and open communication, which are a

5. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page V

It Ain't Easy Being Queen: Crossword Puzzle

A little something for the prestigious alumni of the Naboo Legislative Academy, and all such hallowed institutes of learning...

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/leia_naberrie/WQGL%20Newsletter%201/crossword_sm.jpg]

Click to maximize. Solutions will be posted later.

6. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page VI

Spotlight ~ Interview with Knight-Ander

A gentleman scribe who has constantly proven that he loves women for their... mind ;), this champion Knight predicted that Padmé would die of a broken heart long before the third movie, and continues to defend his lady to her dying breath...

Knight-Ander!!!

My very first story on these boards (Along the Edges) was written shortly after AOTC came out and focused on how Episode III might end, with a pregnant Padmé making a run for it, dying of a broken heart several months after giving birth. Although she fell in love with the main Original Character, her heart still belonged to Anakin.

The Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Round Robin. It's not easy writing Padmé's bio with just 3 regular authors. We could sure use some help. :p

Hmmm... tough question. I once heard her described as a "fixer", a person who sees a problem and does everything they can to fix it. She was told of the corruption in the Senate, and tried to fix that. Her people were suffering and dying on Naboo, so she returned and made a pact with the gunguns to help fix that. Anakin was suffering over the loss of his mother, so she tried to fix that by pouring her love into the void his mother had left in his heart. I like that about her, she'll help those who need it, traits you can see in her children in the "later" movies.

What changes would you make to the way that Padmé was portrayed in the Star Wars movies?

I'd keeep the cut-scenes featured in the DVDs. We just don't see enough of Padmé being Senator Amidala in ROTS. I'd re-write the trial scene in AOTC, tho'. They're captured, they kiss, but then I'd have them rolled out into the arena and before the royal box where Padmé tries to negotiate with Dooku for Obi-Wan's release. The Bad Guys get a big laugh out of that before having Our Heroes tied to the columns to face execution. It would mirror Luke's "bargaining" with Jabba the Hutt in ROTJ.

What is one area that you feel that has not been explored enough or at all with Padmé?

Why'd she get into, and why did she stay, in politics in the first place? Because she couldn't refuse the Queen's request doesn't cut it with me. And how did she earn the respect she seemingly has in the Senate? Was it really all Palpatine manipulating things as it could have been? What was her relationship like with her staff? What made her think that her relationship with Anakin could actually work?

Not really, although I'd like it to be clearer as to what she's dying of. I'm all for the "dying of a broken-heart" idea, but maybe Yoda could have examined her and figured something out. I would have liked to have seen her actually lifted off the ground when Anakin Force-choked her, just as a cool visual.

What are you thoughts about Padmé and Anakin's relationship, the good and bad things about it?

Kinda doomed from the start. Once they figured out their roles in relationship to each other (especially in AOTC), they worked well together. The fact that their duties during the Clone Wars kept them apart for long stretches at a time, really fractured the relationship. Padmé couldn't fill that void on a regular basis, so Anakin found other things to obsess about during the Wars: becoming the greatest Jedi-Warrior the galaxy had ever seen.

Explain one story arc that you have Padmé doing that is completely different than anything in the Star Wars movies?

My "Hysteria" song-fic where she's a back-up singer.

7. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page VII

Pad-Oku!

Another little something for the prestigious alumni of the Naboo Legislative Academy, and all such institutes of learning...

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/leia_naberrie/WQGL%20Newsletter%201/sudoku_puzzle_sm.jpg]

Click to maximize. The solution will be posted later.

8. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page VIII

Spotlight ~ Interview with Padlei

A self-proclaimed angstoholics, whose favourite thing about A/P is its not-a-happy-ending, She broke our hearts with her angsty 'Down the Pathway' and has us rooting for Vader in Shattered Glass. :eek:

Padlei!

Mmh... The first story ever was a fic called 'Secret Union' but I never published it. So the first real story is probably 'Down the Pathway', a challenge fic with Padmé never entering politics and becoming a teacher.

'Shattered Glass'. I've got other stories but they're also in one part of my computer, dust covering them by now. :p

Her strength. She's at least as strong as Leia is. Her compassion too. Her intelligence. Her principles.

I would give her more screen time, show her with her family in AOTC. And add this Rebellion plot back into ROTS so Padmé is not only Anakin's wifey.

Her childhood somehow. Her relationship with her family. What made her Padmé before she met Anakin.

That's the question, isn't it? I wouldn't change a thing I believe. I would change everything if the OT didn't exist but within the saga, I love Padmé's death. I used to hate the broken heart theory but the way George made it was very Shakespearian. Because it's ambiguous and I love the Romeo and Juliet-ish feel to it. And I have my own theory about her death. It's perfectly tragic.

What are you thoughts about Padmé and Anakin's relationship, the good and bad things about it?

I love it. Good things? Almost everything. They're clearly and without contest my 'OTP' as people say. Bad things? Somehow it's a good thing at the same time: no happy ending, Padmé barely being mentioned in the OT.

Explain one story arc that you have Padmé doing that is completely different than anything in the Star Wars movies?

Mmh... There's something I'm going to do in Shattered Glass if I ever get to write it but I can't talk about it... Spoilers! :p Let's say she's going to comply with her morals and she's going to lose herself in the process.

Padmé and her handmaidens. Which ones do you use in your stories, and why?

I use Dormé most. Because she's the handmaiden archetype to me. Her role in AOTC is exactly the way I see Padmé's handmaidens. I don't like stories focusing too much on handmaidens. Sabé for example is often used to create a love interest for Obi-Wan. I understand why people would be intrigued by them but I'm not. Their role is quite consistent to me.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, and what other hobbies you have besides fan fiction writing?

I'm just a law student trying to make my way into the universe. :p I'm 22 and I'm a female oh and I live in France. As for hobbies, I think I've got usual hobbies such as cinema, TV, reading, music... I also like Harry Potter (a little bit less now...) And I love football (well what Americans call soccer) On TV because I suck at playing it. :p

Any last words about Padmé or your writings about her that you would like to discuss?

I don't like how she's portrayed sometimes. It's really hard to get her and either people fall into the 'poor wifey crying all day' cliché or into the Feminist!Robot!Padmé one with her having no emotion at all. TW it's really hard to find good stories about her or

9. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page IX

Naboo News Cast (NNC)

The Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady (WQGL for short) thread was ?founded? on the 10th of September 2004. Its mission statement then and now is to give support for writers who are interested in Padmé's character in more than just in her identity as Anakin's wife or Luke and Leia's mother (although these roles are of course, an integral part of her personality - there will definitely be a place for A/P ruminations as well.) ... and to haev fun! Since then this thread, like every other organic creature, has grown through its early teething stages (where essential Padmé knowledge like Winama still needed definition :p) through the stormy adolescence stage (where controversial topics like her love choices were debated ;) ) and has finally reached what we hope would be the most productive years of its existence ? the Tweenies.

Gentle yet spirited like Padmé Amidala herself, the WQGL thread has always and will continue to be a haven for intense intellectual debate/deconstruction on the Dharma of Padmé :p and a source of inspiration for award-winning stories and writers.

Keep clicking on your neighbour-hood WQGL thread. We foresee an interesting and fun-filled future in its horizon. :D

Round Robin Update

In other news, the Warrior Queen Gentle Lady Round Robin, another production from WQGL, is coming slow but steady! We have three diligent writers, knightander, Lady_Eirtae, and bobilll. We?ve traveled through Padmé's birth, touched her childhood, and have made our way to her first political triumph: becoming Governor of Theed! We expect to make sure progress through her early political years, and eventually cover her whole life!

Interested? Just follow the link above. New writers are more than welcome!

10. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Page X

Last Word & Credits

Did You Know That?

~ Post 500 was reached by Miss_Padme on the 7th of May, 2005?
    ~ All the challenge responses to date total36?
    ~ Knight-Ander won the Winter 2004 Reader?s Choice Award for his entry to the ?Corset? challenge?
    ~ Long before Episode 3 came out, Darth-Ishtar predicted on the thread the exact sequence of events that would lead to Padmé?s death?
    ~ The Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady Round Robin is the longest running round-robin in fan-fiction history? (Whaddaya mean, no? [face_cow] :p )

Credits

Spoof pictures
    www.georgettesworld.com

Reviews
    Pandora26

Writing Tips

bobilll

Interviews
    RX_Sith

Entertainment
    bobilll
    Daenarrah

News
    bobilll
    leia_naberrie

Editor
    leia_naberrie

11. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Well, it looks like I'm the first one at the stand. :p

A big welldone to all people that put this together, sans moi whose biggest task was getting in everyone else's way. :p I really enjoyed the articles. The reviews are very professional, like something from NY Times. The interviews and writing tips were educational. So Jade Max's about to start a new Anakin story... [face_dancing] And PADOKU! :D :D Now that was inspired.

Funny enough, as I was writing the NNC, it just occured to me that WQGL had its 2nd year anniversary on the 10th! :eek: That's pretty cool 'cos that makes this an Maiden/Anniversary Edition, doesn't it? :) A handful of beans in the large scheme of things, I know, but still something worth smiling about.

[face_peace]

12. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Wow! :eek: Most impressive!

Lots of hard work went into this, and it shows. Well done =D=

13. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Excellent job to all who were involved! =D= =D= =D=

Am on my lunch break at work, so I'll have more detailed comments later. :)

14. musingmiyu

musingmiyu Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    Awesome! It's so professional! :)

I loved the humorous pictures, but the interviews were the most fun to read! :D

15. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Wow! Amazing job, guys. I was especially a fan of the interviews and the funny pictures. [face_love] Cheers for a job extremely well done. I can't wait for the next issue--this was really enjoyable to read.

16. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wah, I'm jealous by all your guys's cool writing ability! Yeah, we, individual writers, didn't actually get to see the complete issue until now, and I gotta say, it's awesome! :)

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Yeah! =D= Our maiden edition is posted!

I want to thank everyone who replied to our inquiries for items that we posted in this newsletter. If it wasn't for your support, we wouldn't have anything to publish.

Thank you all for your amazing talents and your support! =D=

18. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    i like the Frankenstien hair!

that was well put together. i enjoyed reading it.

19. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Ah, this is lovely! Great job! =D= I haven't finished reading all the newsletter yet but I like it very much. Now I want to spend some time visiting the WQGL main thread as well for a couple reasons. I'm an aspiring writer struggling to get past just 'aspiring,' and I could use the inspiration. Secondly, Padmé to me is almost as complex a character as the Chosen One and she doesn't get nearly as much attention as she should - or maybe I just haven't lurked in the right threads. ;)

If you have the time and inclination, please visit the Official Padmé Amidala Fan Club thread in the SWC forum. (The link is in my sig.) All are welcome!

MTFBWY

20. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Great job! It looks wonderful!!

21. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    The new wallpaper is practically begging for this to be upped. :D

22. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    WOW!

I'm floored! Great work! Heheh, this is pretty cool... well, now I know what I'll be reading for the next week...

Excellent work! :D

23. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Wow, you guys put a ton of effort into that! I'm flattered to have been asked to participate in it.

Awesome job guys!

24. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Giving this its fortnightly bump. :D

25. WQGL_NewsEditor

Sep 12, 2006
    Hello everyone! We hope some of you attempted the Pad-oku and Crossword puzzles because solutions are going to be posted on Friday. [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.