main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Way of the Force - (L/M, H/L, Vader, Palpy, Yoda, Rogues) - COMPLETED March 18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, Dec 18, 2011.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Title: The Way of the Force
    Author: JediMara77
    Timeframe: 3.5 ABY
    Characters: L/M, H/L, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Rogues
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance
    Summary: As the war between the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire comes to an explosive conclusion, old loyalties must be thrown aside for one last grasp at peace.
    A/N: Sequel to Alliance of Heroes and Night Must Fall. Part Three of the Jaded Trilogy.
    Disclaimer: Don't own anything, although I wish I owned badass-Jedi-Knight!Luke.

[b]Dramatis Personae:[/b]

[u]With the Rebel Alliance:[/u]
    Admiral Ackbar - Director of Fleet Command
    C-3PO - protocol droid
    Captain Tycho Celchu - Rogue Two
    Chewbacca - co-pilot, [i]Millennium Falcon[/i]
    Commander Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
    Commander Wedge Antilles - Rogue Leader
    Councilor Borsk Fey'lya - High Councilor
    Flight Officer Avy Valla - Rogue Six
    Flight Officer Kasan Moor - Rogue Three
    General Airen Cracken - Director of Intelligence
    General Carlist Rieekan - Minister of War
    General Crix Madine - Director of Special Forces Command
    General Han Solo - captain, [i]Millennium Falcon[/i]
    Lando Calrissian - former Baron Administrator, Cloud City
    Lieutenant Hobbie Klivian - Rogue Four
    Lieutenant Wes Janson - Rogue Five
    Mon Mothma - Commander in Chief
    Princess Leia Organa - Chief of Staff
    R2-D2 - astromech droid
    Red - astromech droid

[u]With the Empire:[/u]
    Admiral Firmus Piett - Death Squadron commander
    Captain Gilad Pellaeon - captain, [i]Chimaera[/i]
    Darth Vader - Dark Lord of the Sith
    Captain Zurel Darillian - TIE fighter pilot
    Mara Jade - Emperor's Hand
    Palpatine - Emperor
    Ysanne Isard - Director of Imperial Intelligence

[u]Others:[/u]
    Yoda - Jedi Master

[hr]

[b][i]Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life. So, you might say that we are encouraged to love. - Anakin Skywalker[/i][/b]

[hr]

Cover by Iverna:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/JediMara77/JediMara77-3-v3.jpg]

[hr]

2. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Here we are, kids - Part 3 begins! I finished "making lemonade out of lemons" (aka rewriting the chapters I'd lost), and my reward is to post the Prologue. I hope you enjoy. Let the speculating begin! (And Happy Holidays to all!)

[u]PROLOGUE[/u]

Without a sound, the Imperial Star Destroyer [i]Chimaera[/i] dropped out of hyperspace above the glittering city planet of Imperial Center. Formerly known as Coruscant, the planet was the center of galactic civilization for countless millennia. For the past twenty years, it had been the capital of the Galactic Empire.

Now, it was again the place that Mara Jade, the Emperor?s Hand, was forced to call home.

She stood at the bow of the command walkway, staring out at the world below. Another Force user would find her a conflicting mix of resentment, rage, and emptiness. Mara avoided this planet at all costs, only returning when summoned by the Emperor. Today was no different. The [i]Chimaera[/i] had been on a regular tour of duty when she?d received his call. The mere idea of being here again filled her with resentment, but she could do nothing else but obey.

?Lady Jade??

The young voice rang out from the starboard crew pit. It was the communications officer, no doubt, eager to please the Emperor?s Hand with word from her Emperor. She ignored him, eyes hardening as she stared out at the bustling traffic and the glistening lights below.

He climbed the stairs to the pit and stood at attention behind her. ?Lady Jade? I have word from the Emperor that??

His words stopped abruptly when Mara spun around, her green eyes piercing him with a harsh gaze. ?Who is your superior officer??

He gulped and took a step back. ?Lady Jade??

She walked forward until she was directly in front of him. She was shorter than him, but he still shrunk away in fear. ?Are you not able to understand a simple question? Who is your superior officer?? She repeated the question slowly, venomously.

?Um?Captain Danvers??

Mara nodded. ?Ah, yes. Captain Danvers is a very capable officer, and I am certain that he trains his recruits to the best of his ability. He would be most disappointed to learn that his newest communications officer could not follow a simple order, wouldn?t he??

The young officer looked mortified. He glanced back and forth to the other crewers as if for support, but they were faking disinterest in the conversation. They all knew better. ?I?I don?t understand.?

?The number one rule of this ship, Lieutenant, is that I am [i]never[/i] to be called ?Lady Jade?. We are not at court; we are on an Imperial Star Destroyer. I am the commanding officer of this ship and will therefore be referred to as ?Ma?am? at all times. Do I make myself clear?? She had made no threats; it was not necessary. Her tone of voice made her intent quite clear.

The lieutenant?s mouth worked vigorously, trying to formulate an answer. ?Yes!? he finally gasped out. ?Yes, La?yes, ma?am. I apologize.?

She stared at him for another moment before turning back to the viewport. ?You have a report??

?Um, yes. Yes ma?am. You have a priority comm from the Imperial Palace.?

Mara stifled a sigh. ?Transfer it to the ready room.?

?Yes, ma?am.?

The officer stood aside as Mara turned around and strode down the walkway toward the ready room at the back of the bridge. Two of her stormtrooper guards were standing on opposite sides of the door and straightened up as she approached. Palpatine had insisted that she have guards?for her own safety, of course?but at least they were regular stormtroopers and not the Royal Guard.

She stepped inside the ready room, not bothering to sit at her desk. Instead she stood in front of the viewport, alternately staring at the planet below and the reflection staring back at her. Her reflection had not changed much in the past year, even though she felt like a different person entirely.

The door slid open behind her and a familiar presence stepped inside. He cleared his throat and waited for permission to speak. Mara sighed

3. LouQuinn

LouQuinn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 14, 2010
    snags first post

EDIT: I GOT FIRST POST! After lagging behind for the last ten posts due to Darth Real Life, I am finally back in the game. Well, I know that in one way or another, you (a.k.a evil authoress) will get back at me for saying this but I have a good feeling about this fic. I don't know, Palpatine doesn't have the same grip on her the way he used to so that's a good start. And, to me, she looked like a damsel in distress (if you'll excuse the lack of a more appropriate term). She's waiting to be saved because deep inside, she still has doubts about herself and she needs someone to reassure her and help her to overcome whatever darkness that still lingers in her.

And I think we all know the perfect person to do that ;)

Can't wait for January!

4. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I wonder how much Pellaeon understands about Mara's situation. [face_thinking]

This whole thing is so heartbreaking. :( , and Luke will be feeling so much worse when he finds out just how much Mara had to endure. He didn't get any glimpses of it through their bond, did he?

Yoda had told them that Luke was the older twin, but Leia always acted like Luke was the one who needed looking after.

I wrote something so similar to this 2 days ago (you won't read it for a few more chapters). :)

5. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    Poor Mara. Must see more! (Happy ending though, right? RIGHT?!)

6. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    [creeper palpatine voice] Good. Gooooood. [/creeper palpatine voice]

So things are not what they seem. And Leia's in training, huh? Interesting.

Bring it on! :)

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohhh! Leia is training with Yoda. Interesting. Is it safe to assume Han is gone off to pay his debts so that we won't have a fat slug getting in the way?

But Mara :_|

THIS HAD BETTER HAVE A HAPPY ENDING!!

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    The future banter between Mara and Pellaeon is going to be awesome. Great way to start.

subscribed.
    (PM me please.)

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'm hiding under the brave hat!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, I was right--Jedi Leia!! YAY!!! Soon they can go and kill Palpatine for ginchy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing] Then they'll get Mara back and everyone can be happy again.

RIGHT???? [face_worried]

I love the super AU nature of this, gal. And I'm glad that Leia is being nice to her brother for a change. ;)

Great to see this one starting up. And congrats on finishing the chapters you lost!!! =D=

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    *peeks out from under couch* Am here. I might lurk a lot, but I am here. :)

He knew what she felt whenever she was called ?Lady Jade,? that it was a sign of Palpatine?s control and she despised it with every fiber of her being.

Loved, loved the officer's observation right here. It's not much, but it IS somewhat of a crack in that control.

11. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

Great start!!

I feel that there is definitely more to Mara being under the Emperor's influence than meets the eye. I also really like how you brought Pelleaon into the story.

I feel so bad for both Luke and Mara.

Great work! Happy Holidays to you!

12. volk-eu

volk-eu Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2011
    Update!

A very intriguing set-up here. Mara does not seem to be broken in spirit, just subdued enough to warrant obedience, and, i hope, there will be no role-playing of Revan/Bastila with L/M (who knows, though ;)).

Leia as a Jedi this early has very much potential in future. I would like to see Vader's face when he will see her %).

And that is even better! Let him beat Dark Side out of Vader, please :cool:. Just for us [face_mischief].

13. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    They both don't seem broken - at least, not to me...

14. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I loved seeing Pellaeon! I hope that he can help keep Mara sane through all of this, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Luke saves the day--because he has to. It is clear that Mara isn't entirely brainwashed and that's great. Excited for more!

15. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Wow for a prologue!!!! [face_dancing]

a conflicting mix of resentment, rage, and emptiness
    I can imagine! Poor, poor, Mara. :(

But she's holding on! [face_peace]
    And Pelleaon's there to help her! I love that combo!

?It?s not your fault, Luke.?

He?d heard that same sentiment so many times since Mara had been captured, but nothing would convince him otherwise. He answered as he always did. ?Tell that to Mara.?

Leia didn?t respond
    Well, at least Luke's accusing himself as much as Mara could ever accuse him, even after programming - so they'll at elast not misunderstand each other...
    Poor, poor, Luke... :_|

Eagerly awaiting january!!!! [:D]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Pellaeon is always always :cool: !!!!!!!!!

Every character conceived by Zahn is awesomeness! LOL

Loved the sibling stuff. How like close friends but also as if they did grow up together @};- :)

Hmmm. [face_thinking] That was something I was wondering if Luke could feel or had felt what Mara experienced through their bond, or :_| is it ... broken?

I'd love on your loooong PM train too [face_batting]

Huggles!!!!!!

17. LordRaptor82

LordRaptor82 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2011
    Very good

18. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    ?Yes, ma?am. Do you require assistance getting ready?? In answer, Mara gave him a withering look. He shrugged in return. ?You never know. One day you might change your mind and say yes.?
    Pellaeon, you bad officer. :p

Yes! Leia is training as a Jedi.

Great start! :D

19. Jedi_QueenBee

Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2008
    I love the prologue!!! Keep up the updates!!!

20. YmaSolo

YmaSolo Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2008
    Hooray!!!

Lurking will I be. Free Time, I have not.

Love that you brought Pellaeon into the mix. He's such an interesting character.

21. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Interesting start. Mara in command of a vessel but still bitter towards Palpy. Leia doing well in training... so many ways this can go.

22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    LouQuinn: Good job!

Well, I know that in one way or another, you (a.k.a evil authoress) will get back at me for saying this but I have a good feeling about this fic.

Evil? Me???

I wouldn't say that Mara needs to be saved. But my lips are sealed on the subject. ;)

Hazel: I wonder how much Pellaeon understands about Mara's situation

I think Pellaeon knows more than he should. He's an astute guy.

Luke will be feeling so much worse when he finds out just how much Mara had to endure. He didn't get any glimpses of it through their bond, did he?

He didn't. Remember, Palpatine was blocking her.

Curtis: You'll just have to wait 23 more chapters to find out. ;)

taramidala: So things are not what they seem. And Leia's in training, huh? Interesting.

Well, Mara isn't the obedient Emperor's Hand she once was. But other than that, she still has to do Palpy's bidding. And yes, Leia is training. That's going to be fun. :)

Briannakin: Ohhh! Leia is training with Yoda. Interesting. Is it safe to assume Han is gone off to pay his debts so that we won't have a fat slug getting in the way?

Indeed, Han has finally taken care of his old business. It's about time, huh? More on him later on.

Happy ending? We'll see.

Phoenix: Thanks! Mara and Pellaeon play off each other well. They're both dutiful Imperials, but now Mara has an edge to her.

ginchy: You're always under the brave hat. ;) Hmm, your prediction is interesting. But you'll just have to wait and see. ;) Leia will be very nice to her brother for a while now. :(

Daena: Glad you're still reading! Loved, loved the officer's observation right here. It's not much, but it IS somewhat of a crack in that control.

Oh yes, Mara is definitely not happy with her current situation. Palpy loves that, of course, but doesn't see it as a crack in his control.

jaded_jewel: I feel that there is definitely more to Mara being under the Emperor's influence than meets the eye.

I think you might be right here. [face_thinking]

volk eu: A very intriguing set-up here. Mara does not seem to be broken in spirit, just subdued enough to warrant obedience, and, i hope, there will be no role-playing of Revan/Bastila with L/M (who knows, though).

Hmm, well I don't know enough about Revan/Bastila to say yes or no. ;) But yes, Mara's still a fighter. And so is Leia. :D

Piper: It takes a lot to break both Luke and Mara. But they've both got a lot of issues to deal with right now.

Luna: I'm really looking forward to seeing how Luke saves the day--because he has to.

We'll see. ;) Pellaeon is definitely Mara's anchor.

kataja: But she's holding on! peace
    And Pelleaon's there to help her! I love that combo!

She's Mara Jade - even captured by the Empire, she wouldn't break down completely. And Pellaeon and Mara are very fun together.

Well, at least Luke's accusing himself as much as Mara could ever accuse him, even after programming - so they'll at elast not misunderstand each other...

[face_laugh] That is true! Way to look on the bright side! ;)

Jade_eyes: Luke doesn't know what exactly happened to Mara. As for the bond, you will find out more later. My lips are sealed. :)

Lord Raptor: Thank you!

Fels Goddess: Jedi Leia is pretty awesome. I hope she doesn't disappoint. :)

Queenbee: Thank you!

YmaSolo: Pellaeon was one of those EU characters who fit in this story. I wanted to bring in others, but I didn't want things to be too trite.

Ocelotl: Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your comments! Regular posting will start on Monday.

In case you're interested, I've started writing another fic in the Beyond the Saga era, also featuring L/M. You can find the link in my signature.

23. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    A/N: I'm off work tomorrow, and just know that I will wake up and forget to post the first update. So I'm posting it now instead! Also...please don't hate me.

[u]CHAPTER 1[/u]

The ball was extravagant, as they always were. Held in the most opulent ballroom in the Palace, this gala was officially being held to celebrate the promotions of several officers. Unofficially, however, it was a place where power plays would be made and careers could be made or broken.

The Emperor sat on his throne, at the center of all attention. He casually observed the room, taking in every person present. Mara could clearly sense his mental acumen in the Force. Nothing ever got past Palpatine, especially not at events like these, where everyone?s wants and desires were so clearly put on display.

Mara mingled with the attendees, wearing her most pleasing of smiles. Every man in the room clamored to be around Lady Jade. She was young, unattached, and powerful. It didn?t matter to them that she?d rather be anywhere else in the galaxy.

It was at moments like this when her attention usually drifted off to Skywalker. She wondered what he was doing, what he was thinking. Did he ever think of her? She mentally scoffed; of course he did. But he?d left her to rot in an Imperial prison and now she was the Emperor?s Hand again, so she didn?t care one whit how he felt.

She took another sip of her wine to cover the sneer creeping onto her lips. And it was just in time, because sidling up to her was none other than Ysanne Isard, Director of Imperial Intelligence. The woman who?d helped ensure that Mara would never leave the Empire.

Mara despised her.

?Hello, Lady Jade,? Isard said. She was simpering and Mara wanted to slap her across the face. ?I wasn?t aware that you?d be attending tonight?s festivities.? It was a bold-faced lie and Mara didn?t even need the Force to recognize that fact. Lady Jade always featured prominently in these sorts of celebrations, as some sort of trophy that all good little Imperials could aspire to.

?Yes, well.? Mara thinned her lips. ?Here am I.?

Isard?s eyes narrowed. ?Yes. You look beautiful, by the way.?

Wearing her most seductive gown?a slinky, sparkling black dress with thin straps and a plunging neckline?Mara was beautiful, and she knew it. She was much more done up than she?d normally be at these events. Sometimes, when it wouldn?t raise the Emperor?s ire, she wore her officer?s uniform just to be contrary. But tonight was important and so she?d done herself up as a glittering object of desire.

?Thank you.? Mara did not return the compliment. Isard wore a red dress similar to Mara?s, but much more modest. She stifled a laugh, thinking that the older woman must have lost the figure for such a dress.

Isard kept talking, trying to pull Mara into the conversation. But instead Mara glanced around the room, trying to find an excuse to leave. Her eyes locked onto the Emperor?s, and he beckoned for her to come to him. For the first time since her return to his service, Mara was relieved that the Emperor wanted to see her.

She turned to Isard. ?Pardon me, Madam Director. I must be going.?

?Ah.? Isard followed Mara?s gaze and smiled knowingly. ?I see. Duty calls.?

Something in Isard?s voice gave Mara pause. Her eyes narrowed threateningly. ?Is there something you?d like to say, Madam Director??

Isard placed a hand over her chest, laid the other on Mara?s shoulder. ?Not at all, Lady Jade. I merely observe that the Emperor looks as if he requires your presence.?

?Yes.? Mara?s voice grew soft and distant. Her eyes turned vacant, remembering. Then she whirled back to Isard, lips turning into a smirk. ?Until next time, Madam Director.?

She left without giving Isard a chance to respond, as was fitting for someone of her station. At one point in her life, Mara had desired nothing more than to hold a higher rank than Ysanne Isard. Now, it only made her hate the other woman even more.

Shaking her head, ignoring the menacing clouds that threate

24. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Lady Jade is scary. [face_devil] As whats-his-name just learned. (I never can remember his darn name. Oh well. Don't need to now. ;) )

Very interesting to see who he was feeding information to...

Mara's thoughts on Luke broke my little ginchy heart. She hates him! :_| But I think... I hope... there's still something salvageable there...

I'm going to go read Walking the Sky to cheer myself up. :p

25. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Oooh! Go Mara!

I'm confused though: in Night Must Fall, didn't Mara deliberately tell Luke to leave her, to trust her, not to worry about her? How did that turn into her believing that he didn't love her at all and abandoned her? I know Palpatine is evil but I really have a hard time believing that he convinced her so completely. [face_thinking] I don't think she hates him; she's only trying to convince herself that she does so that she can cope. [face_mischief]

I'm intrigued. Go on... :)