Saga The Way of the Force - (L/M, H/L, Vader, Palpy, Yoda, Rogues) - COMPLETED March 18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, Dec 18, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. taramidala Chosen One

star 4
    Oh my goodness! Where to start?

Tycho/Wedge/Winter - YES.

Han/Mara - YES. Get it together, honey. The old guy knows what's up.

3PO/R2 - HEE.

Luke/Leia - YES.

Only one more? Noooooo!

I mean: okay. :)
  2. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2

Han definitely knows what he's talking about - he has a lot of experience. :D

[face_laugh]

Tycho and Wedge...[face_love][face_love][face_love]

3. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    ?What are you talking about?? Threepio said. ?Why should I not thank my Maker??

ROFL!!! I love these droids.

Very nice chapter, Nanci! =D=
  4. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Throughout the battle his mind had been racing a mile a minute as he dodged enemy ships and laserfire. But now, with his goal directly in front of him, an odd sense of peace washed over him. One way or another, the tyranny of the Empire was about to come to an end.
    I love this - and I think it's very realistic: in the eye of the storm...

Awesome Wedge give the kill to Tycho!!!!!

?Come on, Tycho! Push it!?Suddenly the comm hissed and broke. Tycho could see Wedge fly out of the superstructure and sighed with relief. Now, it was his turn.

He gritted his teeth as he pushed the throttle as hard as it could go. Sweat dripped down his forehead but he paid it no mind. Green laserfire stopped chasing him, indicating that the fire had swallowed the remaining TIEs. The superstructure?s exit was only a few meters ahead. And now he could feel the heat from the flames, could see them dancing over the surface of his X-wing. His hands tightened around the flightstick and he wondered if this was it.

He closed his eyes?

His X-wing burst out of the Death Star, the flames following seconds later. He breathed a sigh of relief as a barrage of voices began echoing out of his comm system. There was Wedge, shouting with relief; the other Rogues, cheering with victory; other pilots, congratulating him.

But in the midst of all the revelry, he could only concentrate on one soft voice. ?Nice shot, Captain Celchu,? she whispered. Those four words sent on a private frequency went against every regulation in the book, but he didn?t care. He merely leaned back in his seat, grinned, and told Winter he loved her in front of the entire fleet
    How do you do it!?!?!!!! Well, I don't know - but it's awesome; all the thrill from the original, all the jubilant victory -yet all its own!!!! [face_dancing] =D= =D= [face_dancing]

?You know what your problem is, Jade??

Mara wrapped her arm around her chest, clutching her wound protectively. ?No, but I?m sure you?re going to tell me.?

?It?s the same problem as Leia. You think too much.?

She raised one red-gold eyebrow. ?I think too much??

?Yeah. C?mon, you got exactly what you wanted. Palpatine?s dead. Luke?s alive, and so are you. So what?s the problem??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, Han!!!! But so right you are! [face_batting]

Happiness?it?s the best revenge.?
    BEST - LINE - EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?It?s not that easy, Han.?

?See, that?s your problem, Jade. It really is just that easy
    .?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    And I gotta ask - did you just read Apocalypse? 'Cos Han insist it's really 'so simple' there too! On the other hand - it's really Han in a nutshell ;)

Darth Vader is a terrifying creature!?

Artoo twirled his dome and let out a smug sounding tweet.

?What are you talking about?? Threepio said. ?Why should I not thank my Maker
    ??
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Brace yourself Threepio :p

The pyre completed, Luke and Leia picked up the armor and placed it on top of the pyre. One might have wondered why two Jedi would bother burning the empty armor of a Sith Lord, but to Leia the answer was obvious. Darth Vader had been born from fire. Fire would take him out of the universe forever.

Luke used his lightsaber to fashion a torch from another branch. Leia touched her blade to the end of it and, after a few moments, it erupted in flames. Luke paused before holding his arm out to her. ?Do you want to do it?? he asked, breaking the heavy silence between them.

She shook her head, her lips held thin. Her voice trembled as she answered. ?You do it. You?re the one who believed in him.?

For once Luke did not protest, nodding and placing the torch to the pyre, careful to use his right hand. The fire traveled across the pyre quickly, engulfing the armor in dancing flames and smoke, distorting it from view.

Unconsciously, Leia reached out her hand to take her brother?s. Their fin
  5. Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master

star 4
    A touching end. Very well done!!!! A great twist in the story... Tycho got the big shot, good dialogue between the charatcher... and 3PO gets flustered.
  6. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
    Tycho! Wedge! Tycho! Winter! Tycho! *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Mara and Han... oh Han. 'It really is just that easy.' Simple, yet profound. Our lovable smuggler.

Haha, thank the Maker, indeed!!

Luke and Leia [:D]. Get back to your others, they'll make you feel better.

Wonderful Nanci. Just wonderful.
  7. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Ooooh! I totally forgot yesterday was Thursday!

I love the fact that Tycho got to take down the Death Star, very suiting.

Bwhahahahahahahaha, I loved the whole droid bit. Poor C3PO, he truly has been made to suffer, it's his lot in life.

Anakin *sniffle*
  8. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    ginchy: Only one more chapter???

Yes. :(

Okay, I unexpectedly got teary here BOTH times I?ve read this chapter. So, I love it. I love that Tycho got that shot and Winter?s words to him.

Aww, I'm glad. Tycho and Winter get no love and they SHOULD! And Tycho deserved to blow up the Death Star.

LISTEN TO HAN. He knows of which he speaks.

He really does, doesn't he?

Oh, that was beautiful. GL always talks about how he had this idea for a story about twins, but I think you?ve taken that here and made it true. I think Leia should have been with Luke in that confrontation and I love this ending/new beginning for them.

Thanks so much, lady!!!! [:D] You've really helped me when writing this fic. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Jade eyes: Han's upfront and candid but warm approach - fits Mara and gives her just what she needs to mull over

Mara needs Han's straightforward nature. Gotta love him!

Stunningly touching last scene! Leia's growth and empathy have been a joy to read as much as Luke's. Her strength and courage deserve a telling as much as his, and thank-you for doing it justice.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you!

taramidala: Only one more. :( Thank you!

Piper: He does, doesn't he? :) Thank you!!!

Hazel: The droids are the best. :) Thanks so much!

kataja: I love this - and I think it's very realistic: in the eye of the storm...

I think it's a prerequisite to be a Rogue...

How do you do it!?!?!!!! Well, I don't know - but it's awesome; all the thrill from the original, all the jubilant victory -yet all its own!!!!

Awww...you're making me blush! [face_blush] I guess it helped that I watched the original scenes and listened to the music A LOT while writing this.

BEST - LINE - EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D What else would piss off Palpatine as much? Mara being HAPPY. She doesn't need to kill him to get revenge. She just needs to smile.

And I gotta ask - did you just read Apocalypse?

Hah, I haven't! That's funny!!!

How absolutely beautiful to see them together, here at the pyre! How right!!!!

I can see that scene in my mind...the two of them, standing there, watching the pyre... :_|

And I am crying like a baby!!! Feeling happy like when I saw the movies on white screen!!!

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Ocelotl: Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it all. :)

Katana: I've grown fond of Han while writing this fic. Not as much as Luke, of course, but he's got his own great qualities.

Luke and Leia . Get back to your others, they'll make you feel better.

Don't worry, they will. :) Thank you so much!

Briannakin: I had to turn my sights to torture Threepio this time. It was just too easy - and I needed some comic relief. LOL. Thank you!

Thank you all so much for reading this fic. The last chapter will be posted tomorrow. I have stuff to say...but I'll wait for tomorrow.

9. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    So here we are, at the end of this trilogy. I have been working on it pretty much non-stop for a year now, with the exception of a few breaks to write one-shots and short stories to take my mind off all the angst and drama. The minor plot points and ideas morphed and changed over time, but the main plot was clear from the beginning: Mara was going to defect after Alderaan, she would form a relationship with Luke, and then rejoin the Empire.

While this is definitely the darkest fic I've ever written, I tried very hard to keep in spirit with the Original Trilogy. Whenever things got too dark, somebody had to make a joke. (I'm like Chandler Bing; I make jokes when I'm uncomfortable.) I wanted to remind myself why I loved all these characters to begin with, and found that writing certain characters (like Han) made me like them even more. I even got to try my hand at some OCs. (Also, if you want to blame anyone for Avy's death, blame LaneWinree. I told him that either Avy or Wes was going to take out the Executor. He said I was not allowed to kill Wes. So Avy got the axe. Poor Avy.)

Anyway, I'm stalling because I'm gonna cry when I post this chapter. But I'm celebrating by going to DISNEY WORLD, so it's all good.

Thank you to each and every person who has read this fic over the past year, and especially those of you who have taken the extra time to comment. I truly appreciate it.

I'd also like to give special thanks to Jade_eyes for betaing, LaneWinree for teaching me how to write dogfights, and ginchy for letting me chat her ear off about this fic and not killing me when I scared her half to death with the first reading of a certain chapter of NMF.

So, without further adieu, we come to the end.

10. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4

CHAPTER 23

When the flames from the funeral pyre finally subsided, Luke and Leia returned to the Ewok village where the celebration was in full force. They entered the village as one, but Leia soon pulled ahead and ran down the walkway to jump into Han?s arms. They hugged and kissed as if they were the only people left in the galaxy. Luke smiled at them, his heart skipping a beat at seeing them so happy together. He glanced around, taking in the rest of the celebration?of Lando and Chewie reenacting scenes from the ground, of the Rogues both cheering their success and mourning the losses of battle. He mourned right along with them, and it was like reliving Dack?s death at the Battle of Hoth. Avy had never allowed his death to wreck her; instead she learned to love and live again and, in the end, drew strength from his sacrifice.

He greeted his friends, genuinely elated to see them again. Han clasped his hand, a look of profound gratitude in his eyes, but Luke merely smiled. It hadn?t been Luke that assured they returned from the Death Star, it?d been Leia and her ultimate acceptance of Anakin Skywalker?s role in her life. Perhaps one day Han would understand; perhaps this was something that Luke and Leia would carry by themselves for eternity.

It was a joyous occasion, a time of renewal and hope. Despite the loss of his father, things were finally starting to feel right. But among all the revelry and merriment, something was missing. None of the Rogues came out and asked him about Mara, although he could sense their desire to do just that. The rumor?d been going around that she returned, and they were all anxious to see her again. So was Luke.

He could sense that she was nearby and honed in on her presence, now permanently etched in his mind. Her thoughts were a jumbled mess?to mourn the dead or celebrate the living, to remember the past or look ahead to the future, to stay with Luke or escape into the galaxy for her first real chance at freedom.

Glancing around the village, deciding that nobody would really miss him, he turned and set out into the night.

He found her standing outside ?their? hut, leaning against the railing, staring down at the ground. There was an odd sense about her, both joy and sadness waging war for dominion over her heart. He approached her slowly, not wanting to startle her. ?Mara??

Her head tilted, but didn?t turn. ?You?re back.? He could sense the smile in her words.

He nodded and moved forward, drawing next to her against the railing. ?Yes.? He paused, uncertain how to say his next words. ?The Emperor?s dead.?

?I know,? Mara murmured. ?I felt it happen.? She faced him, green eyes shining brightly against the darkened sky. ?I told you you?d beat him.?

Luke shook his head. ?I didn?t kill him. Anakin did.?

Her forehead creased. ?Oh.?

?He came back at the very end,? Luke explained, deciding to keep the entire story for Leia and himself. ?Saved our lives.?

They fell silent. Luke wanted to reach out and take her hand, but something had shifted inside her and he knew she would resist. So he remained close to her, waiting for her next words. ?Do you think it would kill me?? she finally asked, her voice barely audible over the distant sounds of the celebration.

Luke cocked a brow. ?What do you mean?? Han had told him about Mara?s injury, but that it wasn?t serious and she would heal in no time. But something in her expression told him she wasn?t referring to her blaster wound.

Sure enough, she leaned slightly over the edge of the railing. ?The fall,? she clarified. Luke?s heart froze. ?Do you think the fall would kill me??

He moved closer then, unable to stop himself, ready to reach out for her if necessary. Han had also mentioned that Mara had jumped in front of that blaster fire deliberately, as if she?d wanted to be shot. What was going through her mind? He almost panicked, but calmed himself for her. ?I?d never let you fall,? he declared.

She let out a mournful sigh. ?What if I already have?? He shook his hea
  11. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    *snatch natch*

I can't believe it's done!!!!! TAKE A BOW, LADY!!!!! BRAVA! @};- BRAVA! @};-

=D= [:D] =D= [:D] =D= [:D] =D= [:D]

This has been a wonderful ride. I came in late to AoH but am I sure glad I stumbled over it one day. And I'm sure glad you liked ginchy-shine so that we could become friends. [face_love] I remember so much about this fic, like back when "angsty-smut" was just something we joked about, and my reaction to that certain chapter, and also that dark day when you lost all the files of the end of the story! And now we're here to the end and it's just as it was meant to be and perfect!!

I love the entire thing. That's the short review. ;) Here's the longer one.

I love L/M's conversation. It breaks my heart that she is still so overwhelmingly sad, but I think Farmboy is up to the task of making her feel better. [face_love] I love this exchange:

PERFECT L/M. Just perfect. And so true.

Okay, had to quote the whole thing. I love, love, love that they are now 'engaged'. [face_love] I love that he knew what she meant and said 'forever'. I love that she could not bear to let him walk away. And I love that he is willing to follow her wherever she needs to be, just like Luke promised her he would do in SQ. It's perfect and wonderful and I LOVE IT.

I love Mara's being reunited with the Rogues. Especially Tycho. They started this journey together and lost and gained more than they could have ever imagined. Perfect.

Also perfect was Leia finishing the story as she began it.

So wonderful. Peace. What they were fighting for. What they deserve. This is a bright beginning for all of them.

Again, take a bow, lady. I know you've put a TON of work into this, and it shows. ginchy lubs it and you!! [:D]

12. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Wow! wow! Wow! First of all, perfect ending!

Take a bow Nanci! I can only imagine the time and effort you put into this. Take a bow girl, because I am sure ALL your readers would give you a standing ovation if we could.
  13. taramidala Chosen One

star 4
    Oh. My. God. PERFECT.

That's really all I can say.

Be proud of yourself, girl. I'm envious. You've done what every fic writer dreams of.
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    That was the perfect ending to your story, Nanci.
    I'll admit that it brought tears to my eyes.

Very well done! =D=
  15. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Mara's reunion with the Rogues - yay! True and open acceptance @};-

The H/L - wonderful! You can feel their maturity and total commitment - not the huh?whatever that led to COPL - major-league :p :rolleyes:

But the L/M gets the big-time squggles! squggles!

This trilogy had the movies feel and the VaderLVR64 feel.

The epicness - the truly IC-ness - made every word a treat!

I think with all the weird stuff post NJO especially it was very easy to lose grasp of the magicalness, of the grandeur and optimism of what drew us fans to the OT, and thanks to your super duper talent, we're reminded again.

[face_love] [face_love]

[:D]

[:D]

!!!
  16. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2

So did I. :_|

Wow. That's really something. :D

Thank you so much for this trilogy - I guess my knowledge of English won't let me express my gratitude enough - reading it, I felt joy, happiness, pain, I was laughing and crying and I'm so proud of them all - they did it.))

Last L/M chapters are something I'll never forget but AoH, where you've given them joy of young carefree love has a special place in my heart. :)

I do hope to read more your stories in the future. [:D]

17. DarthVaderette Force Ghost

star 2
    Loved the story, thanks for sharing and for all the PMs!

Have fun in Disneyworld! Wish I was going, I love Disney! :D
  18. CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Master

star 1
    So beautiful! I missed FOUR POSTS?! Right to the end too. Yeesh. The joys of going back to school while still working fulltime hours... Keep writing stuff! Er, Star Wars fanfiction at the new location!
  19. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    have been working on it pretty much non-stop for a year now
    And all that works shows it the story!! Or, actually, it doesn't - which is the true accomplishment!

While this is definitely the darkest fic I've ever written
    so far...[face_mischief]

it was like reliving Dack?s death at the Battle of Hoth. Avy had never allowed his death to wreck her; instead she learned to love and live again and, in the end, drew strength from his sacrifice.
    Awwww....

I guess he was wrong about himself...what if he was wrong about me, too??
    Oh, Mara... All of her self doubt is so perfectly written here!!!!

?I just want to be me.?
    :_| :_|

He nodded, resisting the urge to pull her into his arms and tell her to stay with him forever. For so long she?d lived her life according to others. It was time for her to take control, to do what she wanted for once in her life. So as much as it hurt him, he would walk away.

But there was still one thing left to say. ?I?ll be waiting if you change your mind.? And with that, he turned to leave.

He almost made it to the walkway before Mara called his name. He stopped walking but didn?t turn, waiting to hear her words. He heard soft footsteps behind him, stopping about a meter away. ?Luke?does your offer still stand??

He turned around then. She bit her lip, her green eyes shining hopefully. Luke smiled at her and held out his arm, ready to bring her to the celebration. ?No.? She shook her head and took another step toward him. Her lip quivered. ?I don?t mean that offer?I meant the other one?? She trailed off. Luke felt his brow furrow, trying to figure out what she was talking about?

And then it hit him, like a bolt of lightning.

?Listen to me! I don?t want to forget that you asked. I?m serious about us too, Luke, but we?re still so young, and I?m still so closed-off?I'm just not ready yet.?

He?d said it once before and it would never, ever change, for as long as he lived. His throat convulsed as he tried to speak. ?Forever.?

She took the last step. She was close enough to take his hand, and she did. Her eyes locked onto his. And for Luke, at that moment, it was more than enough. He leaned down and kissed her slowly and tenderly, his arms wrapping around her as if there was no tomorrow.

Eventually he pulled away, and when he did so, she was smiling. He smiled back and took her hand, leading her down the walkway toward the victory celebration
    This is so awesome I have no words....just crying my eyes out here...

Wes, to no surprise, was the first to spot her. His face brightened as he gestured wildly to the others. ?Guys!? he exclaimed, grimacing in pain when Kasan smacked him on the shoulder. ?I mean, people?look! It?s Mara!?

In unison, the rest of them turned to her. ?Mara!? one of them said, she couldn?t tell. They were upon her in an instant, slapping her back, smiling at her, acting as if no time at all had passed. As if they were welcoming her home from an extended mission. Tears sprung her eyes but she blinked them away, willing herself to stay composed. She couldn?t speak, though, and let them do all the talking

:_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| :_|
    dammit, Mara - what did you expect... [face_blush]

Among all the revelry, one person was missing, his presence sorely lost. But then she sensed him standing behind her. She stiffened, turned, and there he was?Tycho, the man who had become her brother. He was arm-in-arm with Winter, the woman who?d become one of her closest friends. The woman she?d lived with. Both of them Alderaanians, with every reason to hate her for serving the Empire.

But Tycho spoke no harsh words. He held out his arms and she felt herself being enveloped in warmth and love and acceptance. Tycho squeezed her tight and whispered against her shoulder, ?Welcome home, Mara
    .?

:_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| :_|
    :_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| [face
  20. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Love that you had Tycho fire the shot to blow the reactor.

?Nice shot, Captain Celchu,? she whispered. Those four words sent on a private frequency went against every regulation in the book, but he didn?t care. He merely leaned back in his seat, grinned, and told Winter he loved her in front of the entire fleet.
    Awww!

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Oh R2, that was mean.

The ending was wonderful, Nanci. Congratulations on finishing your great trilogy. [:D]=D= It was a fun journey and thank you for sharing it with us.
  21. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
    Lovely lovely ending. Just lovely.

Loved Tycho being the one to make Mara bawl. Really. Nice touch there.
  22. dm1 Force Ghost

star 4
    @};-

Wow! I loved this whole story, all of it!

R2 knows the whole thing, and I've always been amused by 3PO "thanking the Maker," once I knew who that maker was! True enough, though, his maker also made Luke and Leia...

"It's that easy" sums Han's point of view up nicely, and it was good for him to point this out to Mara. Luke was just spouting Jedi slogans when he told her that once you start down the dark side, you can't go back. Anakin proved that one wrong, and Mara was never really completely down that path anyway. Glad to see Mara finally take Luke up on his original offer! The Rogues were great with their reception of Mara back into their ranks, as if she never left... and Tycho, too. Well done!

I loved the fight with Palpatine and Leia's involvement there, as well as her acceptance of Anakin before he died.

I'll miss this story, but you got it all in before The Move, and you did a phenomenal job!=D=
  23. jaded_jewel Guest

Finally caught up and finished reading this lovely and awesome story!!

It was absolutely brilliant!...*sigh*...I wish it could go on forever!

Great work, Loved every bit of it!! :) =D= [face_love]
  24. Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Master

star 3
    I LOVED the ending. This was the perfect way to paint the emotions that Mara was having and Luke calming them :) WOW !!!! <3
  25. Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master

star 4
    Great conclussion... Grief, acceptance, forgiveness... Well done
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade