main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Weather thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FatBurt, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Be careful in the snow, Malkie!

2. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    No chance Malkie, everywhere is grid locked.

Here is earlier today, my back garden and the drive.
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/JonJediLFC/SSL20263.jpg]
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/JonJediLFC/SSL20253.jpg]

And right now. A bit dark but you can see the snow falling.
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/JonJediLFC/SSL20305.jpg]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think you got more than we got yesterday. Your snow looks a bit deeper.

Edit - Sky News just showed the traffic in Birmingham and said the airport's been closed there. I think you might want to reconsider your trip, Malkie - maybe wait until morning if you can.

BBC story

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    yeh, I figured that - they've got photos on the bbc website of lines of cars.

Sadly the expression "don't travel unless absolutely necessary" does extend to include attending weddings of your Mrs's friends. Personally I'd park my ass and watch TV, but her in doors has other ideas. Sadly her ideas don't include a plan B for when we get stuck behind abandoned vehicles..........

Thing is, if I say anything it's because I don't want to go to the wedding rather than because I think it's a bad idea to travel.

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Have you showed her the BBC News story? You'll probably end up freezing your butts off for hours if you go tonight.

Edit - I am sure you won't be the only guests that are late or have to cancel unless all the others live locally. However, the Sky weather guy is saying the snow should be easing and turning to rain soon.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    "This woman's not for turning"

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, good luck then. I hope you make it there ok!

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Really embarassing day for the met office today. Even as late as 10:30 last night they had no idea that this major snow evcent would occur for Wales and the North and West Midlands.[face_blush]

Over here in Northampton we just got a little bit of slushy stuff this afternoon, so this was definatly a case of; West is best (or worst if you happen to be driving in it like Malkie)

Focus geneally turns to Scotland and Northern England over the weekend, where there could be snow at times, but essentially the worst of this particular cold spell is over. Thats probably not the end of winter, though, more cold spells are expected over the next month. So if you've missed out entirely on the snow, theres still plenty of time....

9. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    wow, the pics are so nice! the only thing coming down here is rain, day in day out... I really wish it would snow here as well!

10. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, they really screwed up on the forecast. They thought that weather front would only affect southern most counties, i.e where I live, but then I wake up today and discover the worst of it has missed us and is in Wales and the midlands - about 100 miles further north than they predicted!

11. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Finally uploaded my pics from thursday. The first 2 are about 7:30 am. The third is around 2pm.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/DarthMassor88/snow2-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/DarthMassor88/snow1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/DarthMassor88/snow3.jpg

My cat was not happy at all, too cold to go outside for him lol Been couped up with me for 2 days lol

4th Edit!!: How the hell do you get photos to show up in the thread. I've totally forgotten lol

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Aww, cute kitty...

We have rain in my area so far today. England play at Twickenham today and I bet it will be a wet and muddy match. At least it is too warm for snow!

For images in threads, see the Markup Codes section in the header or use the 'image' button in the post page.

13. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Tried the image button, that didnt work. Thats why I edited it 4 times, tring out different ways to do it lol

Over 2 years on this forum, you'd think I would remember how to upload images, done it before lol

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    travel update................well, the trouble in Birmingham on Friday night might have had an element of media hype. I'm certain there were troubles at rush hour, but when I drove up on Friday there was no problems at all. I'm thinking the warnings made people stay at home, meaning the roads were empty (but snow free) when I got up there.

suited me just fine :)

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you made it ok, Malkie!

It's raining here today - kinda heavy at the moment. Not real cold though.

16. DunedinJedi

DunedinJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2007
    after a weekend of snow and freezing temperatures it normalised to 6°C anmd rain

17. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    South of heathrow airport has just had a mild thunder storm, it seems to be heading east.

It doesn't make sense to me, we've got rain and flooding all around the summer time, weird weather or what? (probably Global warming :p )

Edit: we've got another one on the same route, The rains heavier this time but I can't tell how big the storm is

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I posted this in my thread about the flood situation last week, but its appropriate for here, as well;

The reason for whats happened so far this summer are;

1. THE JETSTREAM BEING DISPLACED TO THE SOUTH

2. A SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURE PROFILE IN THE ATLANTIC THATS CONDUSIVE TO PRODUCING A NEGATIVE NAO

The negative NAO means that we find higher than normal pressure around Iceland and Greenland, and weaker than normal pressure over the Azores. The Azores High is what would normally give us our hot spells during summer, but this year its pushed right out towards the United States. The low pressure that would normally be up towards Iceland is dispalced south over us. This is really a classic negative NAO set-up. Should this set-up occur in winter, it would be cold and there would probably be quite a l;ot of snow around.

Note also theres cool waters in a Central Equatorial Pacific, which is looking pretty La Nina'ish. La Nina's also tend to enahnce the jet stream across the US and Atlantic.

We are really being hit by a unique combination this year, that is causing us to have such a miserable summer. The one thing that this isn't realted to, however, is Global Warming. Infact this pattern goes against the pattern you would expect in the Global Warming scenario.

19. elbertino

elbertino Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2006
    G-FEET. any indication whether a 'summer' will truly start this summer or whether it'll be mildly hot until autumn comes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.