main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The Weekly STLFF Multiplayer Game Thread: Let's play!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I decided to make a new thread for this, because the last video game thread sort of got off-topic, so here it is.

Dajuan and I have decided that playing Galactic Battlegrounds was really fun, and that we should make it a weekly thing. It's simple to set up, and it worked fine (The game was just a bit slow, probably because of me.) It sounded like a lot of you have Galactic Battlegrounds, so that will probably be the game most frequently played. ;)

There is a nice chat interface within the game (as there should be) that you can chat back and forth on. You can get to know your fellow posters better that way. Plus, it's a nice break from the action (or lack thereof in some cases ;) )

For those who don't have Galactic Battlegrounds, it's a Star Wars strategy game. Take command of your forces and blast the heck out of your opponent. Thats GB, in a nutshell. Of course, you need to get supplies to build your forces. ;) Always a catch, isn't it! But the game is fairly easy to play. It's not a mindless "go around and shoot anything that moves" game.

There's a lot of ways to playing the game. Lots of scenarios and different versions, like Death match. Also, you can choose at what version you can start off with your tech level. (This affects how much you can build. The higher the tech level, the bigger the goods are. ;) )

In GB, you can play as:
    Republic
    Rebel Alliance
    Imperials
    Confederacy
    Royal Naboo
    Gungans
    Trade Federation
    Wookiees

So, just thought that this would be a good idea to get games going like this on a weekly basis. Maybe Sat. morning or Sun. afternoon/night? That sounds like a normal time when everyone could be available.

So, that's that. Discuss now! Maybe we can get something going tomorrow. Different games could be played too possibly. It would be awesome if this could be going on every week. Believe me, it's a lot of fun.

May the Force be with you!

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm in. I really like the Clone Wars expansion, but my copy is kinda bootleg, so it won't let me update it. So I'd have to just stick with the Galactic Battleground set.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    My question is what time tomorrow? I have no problems with early in the day. I can host it again as well.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I can't play till I get back to school. The game's not home with me...

5. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Hmmm, I may be able to borrow a copy from a friend of mine who no longer plays. But that would require time away from my galaxies, of which I have grown so addicted these last few weeks.

6. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    sounds awesome, i could play every other saturday, my sundays are too busy. did you guys play over the zone connection? or some other one inside the game itself? i think the zone is easier, if need be, i (or anyone else of course) could always be host in the zone. just a thought

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Think of it as rehab yodaismygod. dudeman, we used the IP connection way and that seemed to work rather well. I'm afriad a third party might slow the game down, though I could be wrong.

We can always change the date and time of the games if we want or play several, there's no rules! Savvy?

8. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    But that would require time away from my galaxies, of which I have grown so addicted these last few weeks.

Oh boy. You spend time playing Galaxies? I heard that game was really not worth it. Of course, the expansions should set the game straight. Besides, I think GB is more fun anyways. ;)

Not sure if I'm going to be doing the game tonight, I got last min. homework to do. :(

BTW, the IP thing worked great, considering that my PC is rather slow with today's standards. A third party would slow the game down more than likely, ubt maybe we could find a way around that. I can work a game with a little delay!

As for that Zone thing.. I signed up on that (I have a hotmail account) but I heard it's horrific service. Maybe you would know more about that Dudeman.. I don't like playing most games over the net with people I don't know that well,(as in JKII) because most turn out to be complete (pardon french) jackasses. So we would need a password to go along with the game if we do it on the zone. I don't think we need to worry about the zone for now.

For those who don't have the game and want to get it, I got my copy a month or so back in a special Movie games pack including the full version of GB Saga, James Bond Nightfire, and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. All for...$20.00!! :D :D So if you don't want to bootleg a copy, this is the best way to get it. You can find it at most stores that sell games.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Anyone up for a game now?

10. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    sorry, i was asleep or leaving for youthgroup when you posted that, but for the zone.com thing, all you have to do is make the game private then tell all you want to join the password, but you can only fit 8 and not sure how many people can go with the ip thing, oh well, either is fine for me

11. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    As much as I want to, I can't. Finishing up last minute homework. Bummer! Maybe next weekend.. But not to interfere with Lazer Tag! ;)

12. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Ok, I have borrowed a copy of GB, I am not going to install it now since in the next couple weeks I will be reformating my hdd(cursed viruses).

As far as rehab from galaxies, I plan on spending a few days at my friends house up in Chicago, he currently has no net connection, if that doesn't get me away from galaxies for a while I don't know what will. I don't think there has been a day for about a month now that I haven't spent at least two hours playing galaxies. Yesterday my guild started a hunt on Dathomir about the time I got off work, I spent 8 straight hours playing, I wish I could say that was the most time I have spend playing in a day.

EDIT: Clarity

13. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I'm kind of glad I don't have the money to play games like Galaxies. ;)

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You sound like my bf when he was on EverCrack. Thankfully I got him off that. He would ignore me on the phone and arrange dates around the game. Online games like that can be real trouble. I hope we can help you "cut-down" with our online game, lol.

15. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    You sound like my bf when he was on EverCrack.
    LOL!! ;)

Thankfully I got him off that. He would ignore me on the phone and arrange dates around the game. Online games like that can be real trouble. I hope we can help you "cut-down" with our online game, lol.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm poor enough to not be able to afford games like that and lazy enough to not learn how to understand them! I don't see how people can get so immersed into something like that and pay to have their minds' swept away. I know it's SW, which has corrupted my mind also(willingly ;) ) but I use novels and other sources to get my fill. I agree with Dajuan, hope we can get you off of the MMPG games and get on the fun non-MMPG ones!

Let's give a round of applause to Dajuan for getting someone off EverCrack! Pass the rum! Wait, that's at the Pirate forum.. ;) Oh, what the heck, PASS IT ANYWAY!! Real life is more important then an all graphics one.

BTW, I hope I'm not offending you YIMG, just stating my opinion. I've heard bad stuff about those things, but it's only a select few that kill themselves over it, right?

16. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, if you look at the numbers of people that play those games, about the same number of people kill themselves as other people. Its usually D&D that gets blamed for suicides. Everquest is typically blamed for people quitting everything but thier job and just working to support Evercrack.

Anyway I think the real reason I have been playing it this much is because my friends have been busy with a lot of other stuff. Also its been to warm to snowboard, and I am having problems getting my mountain bike fixed, if I can't replace some $.30 pieces of plastic in my fork, I'll have to replace the fork(closer to $400). So other than work I really haven't had anything else to do.

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Oh I can see the addictive qualities to games if you're any good at them. I know if I have better internet available to my house I'd have a copy of the Galaxies and be spending some real time on it, lucky for me I don't. I tend to do what yodaismygod is doing, when all else fails revert to the game, it's cheaper than doing other things sometimes. During the semester I have to limit myself to weekend only play of my non-net games (Tomb Raider, Sims, and GB style), can't imagine what I'd do with a net game. Also lucky for me, the 3D graphics that some of those games use make me dizzy, so I have to limit my time at them.

Ah well, on to our new obsession! I'm dying for a rematch.

18. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    I'm just wondering... why do people kill themselves over D&D? *has never played it, but I know some people who do*

19. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I'm dying for a rematch.

As am I Dajuan. I have a new strategy I have been developing. :D **cue evil laugh** I'll have to try it out this weekend with you Dajuan.

Mike, people have killed themselves because their character they played as on the net have died in the game. They did stuff with them for so long, I guess they just got really mad and depressed. Who knows? Can't ask them now.

Dajuan, you said you play Tomb Raider? Which one(s)?

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well now that Randy's into D&D let's hope he can keep the difference between it and real life. D&D I don't mind, it get him out of the house with someone besides me (Though don't tell him I said that, I pretend to be mad).

I play/have played TR 4-6. I have been working backwards on these games because the older ones don't work as well on my computer. I beat Angel of Darkness and Chronicles (5 and 6) adn I'm currently working on Last Revelation, though that one keeps messing up so I get frustrated. I likes Chronicles the best so far with AoD close behind. LR is neat but like I said it's buggy.

If anyone wants to borrow a Lara Croft adventure let me know, we might be able to arrange a trade for a short while. I like TR because the main character's a tough girl, that doesn't need rescuing, something games are all too often missing.

21. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    My favorite games are always online, mostly fps's just because online games are always different. It has been a very long time since I have actually sat down and beaten a game, usually I start, discover how cool the online play is, and just forget about the single player mode.

Anyway, the people that kill themselves(and others) because of D&D I believe is because they were pretty messed up in the head to begin with. I know a lot of people that play D&D and Evercrack that are just like anyone you would meet on the street any given day. The people that go overboard and lose base with reality probably weren't the most mentally stable people before they played, the game just gave them ideas.

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I have Tomb Raider 3. Wow, that game is long!! It's pretty cool though, wish it had a little more action than it has.

Yeah, I think those who kill themselves over MMPGs are already messed up to begin with. The game itself is just the final straw I'm thinking.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    When we playing today? I'm free from now until a little before we're ready to leave. Email, PM, AIM or whatever me. I'll host again.

24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Sorry Dajuan! Wasn't able to do GB this weekend. But, I'm exempt from finals.. Maybe Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday this time!

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Might also be able to do something tomorrow.. Don't take my word for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.