main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Weenie SERIOUS, this time...he needs YOUR help!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthWeenie, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    <To the mods, this regards a line in TPM, but this thread does indeed belong here in Star Wars Community, IWO, since it ecompasses events outside of TPM.>

Now,

The Phantom Menace.

20 times in the theater.
    Can quote most the entire movie.
    Never noticed this "discrepancy."

The Weenie, watching TPM, with his family last night. His royal Weenship is, as you all well know, is the big Star Wars fan of the family. His little sister, who is not a very big Star Wars fan mind you, noticed this, asked her older weenie about it...and he was dumbfounded. He didnt know the answer! It is so blatant, and obvious. The Weenie has quoted that particular line so many times, and it never crossed his mind that there was a "discrepancy" here. His sister is the one who pointed it out, and and Big "W" was genuinely stumped! He couldnt sleep all night! He cannot figure out a non-ridiculous (in fact, in all probability the answer IS ridiculous, but he must still know the TRUTH) answer to this simple question, and it is plauging him. Its really beginning to become a real thorn in his weenie. Therefore, he turns to you, the JC members whom he so admires and respects (except when youre wrong), for aid in this troublesome time. Help him, JC members. Youre his only hope.

Captain Panaka: Senator Palpatine has been nominated to succeed Valorum as Supreme Chancellor.

<<<...>>>

Queen Amidala: Who else has been nominated?

Captain Panaka: Bail Antilles of Alderaan. And Aine Leteem (sp?) of Malastare.

Whoa, whoa. Back the truck up! Bail...Antilles?! ANTILLES?!?

The Weenie's little sister called him on this. She says, "Oh please, what, is he supposed to be Wedge's dad?" Poking fun at how in the vast galaxy that we know the "galaxy far, far away" to be, everyone seems to be related to each other. Mr. Weener condescendingly and smugly responded with a chuckle, "No, silly weenlet, you are young and naive. His name is Bail Organa."

"Oh, yeah? Rewind it."

So we did, and although the Weenie has quoted that line so many times, he never noticed this! He was so embarrassed. Boy, was his weenie red.

Anyway, what in the world is the deal with this? Does anyone know why he's not Bail Organa of Alderaan? If its ANOTHER one of those silly name change things that seems to riddle the PT, he'll simply puke. If it is, however, some kind of different last name that was given to him, that he ends up changing later, what is the point of GL making his name different? And especially this: If GL did have some kind of justification for changing Bail's last name, why would he choose "Antilles?" Whats supposed to be the connection there? Is he really a relative of Wedge? Please say no!

Any help here would be hot.

Thanks in advance,
    Ween E. knows that if anyone can solve this riddle, its you.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Bail Antilles has no relation to either Wedge Antilles or Bail Organa. They're simply different characters.

3. donwanquijote

donwanquijote Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    Weenie my man, I just had a butchers-hook at the official site but can't find the exact page (if it still exists). Wasn't there a feature where you could e-mail questions and they'd get McCallum or Chiang an dpeople to answer them. Anyhow, i seem to remember somebody asking your exact question and the reply was . . .

. . .he's neither Wedge's dad or Leia's foster father. He's just some dude whose name is similar to both of theirs. Seems a bit silly doesn't it?

4. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Here's the link.

Q: Are Bail Antilles and Bail Organa supposed to be the same character?

A: With the recent announcement that Jimmy Smits will play Bail Organa in Episode II, this previously unseen character is getting a lot of attention. Bail Organa is Princess Leia's adoptive father, and a representative from Alderaan. He perishes when the Death Star destroys that peaceful world in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Bail Antilles is also an Alderaanian politician. When Chancellor Valorum was ousted from office by a vote of no confidence, three nominees lined up to take his place: Ainlee Teem from Malastare, Palpatine from Naboo, and Bail Antilles from Alderaan. Although the scene was ultimately left out of the finished film, the script to Episode I shows that these two men were conceived of as separate characters. Both are mentioned. Bail Organa seconds the vote of no confidence; Bail Antilles is nominated to succeed Valorum.

Two Bails, two different characters. It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2's former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope.

5. Jedi_Master_Marvin

Jedi_Master_Marvin Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2002
    he's just another guy named antilles, remember bail organa didn't come 'till 10 years later. i guess antilles is just a common name. there was even captain antilles of the tantive iv.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    "Antillies" in the human GFFA is like "Jones" or "Smith"...

7. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    "Seems a bit silly doesn't it?"

Indeed. What an unsatisfactory answer. But it is the truth, apparantly. Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

Many thanks to all of you, especially Darth Banal. That guy is one thourough basticth. He always takes the extra time for those in need. You would have made an excellent jedi knight.

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    There was a scene filmed with Bail Antilles in it, there is a pic of him around the net somewhere

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Here it is: ;)

[image=http://www.theforce.net/episode1/newspics/cut_bail.jpg]

EDIT: Here's an old story from HoloNet News that mentions both Senator Bail Organa and former Senator Bail Antilles of Alderaan, so they are indeed two different persons. :)

10. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    That kinda looks like Lonestar at the end of Spaceballs...

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    He's a prince! Sweeeeet!

12. donwanquijote

Nov 20, 2002
    Hell, now I'm confused!! :mad:

That's a picture of Adrian Dunbar, the British actor who played Bail ORGANA in scenes cut from TPM. Where did that picture come from, calling him Bail Antillies. Will someone please put the worms back in the can . . .

13. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    yeah, he'd seen that pic before. Its a pic from some tiny tiny ep1 character book. The book is like 2 inches high. But he just figured that it was THE Bail, and they took him out of the movie to cast a NEW bail in for eps 2 and 3. Thank goodness they did cut that guy out. Hes all frail and girly. What a weenie!

...oh, wait...

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    You're partly right. ;) He was indeed supposed to be Bail Antilles, but they later cut him out and re-named the character for some reason.

I don't have a link to back this up, as I don't remember where I read it.. can anyone else help out?

15. donwanquijote

Nov 20, 2002
    Morgaine, do you mean he was supposed to be Bail Organa and they renamed him Antillies after he was cut?

My brain is melting.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The Fox remembers a time when The Weenie didn't refer to himself in the third person.

17. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Oh, The Weenie hasnt refered to himself in first person in a long time...A long time.

What happened, as the Weenie sees it is this:

Here are the possibilities:

1) The dude who played Panaka said Bail "Antillies" when filming the scene. In all actuality it SHOULD have been "Organa." Perhaps he was confused, though he probably wouldnt have come up with the word "Antillies" on his own (since hes black, and therefore not a fan of Star Wars, and therefore wouldnt get confused about some other SW character). So, he asks George before filming the scene, "Hey George, whats my line?" George, having a lot on his mind, as you can imagine, meant to say "Organa" but instead confused the character of "Bail Organa" with "Wedge Antillies." This isnt so far-fetched, since GL literally has to keep track of HUNDREDS or perhaps thousands of characters of his own design! So he accidentally told the Panaka guy the wrong last name, and didnt catch it till the movie had come out, and then had to make an excuse for the flub later saying that, no, he didnt mess up, they are indeed two seperate characters. **gasps for breath, and then inhales deeply**

Whew!

2) GL scripted the line that way in the first place. Same mix-up as above. Panaka-man was just doing his job with the information that he was given.

3) GL intentionally gave 2 completely seperate, AND UNRELATED, people the exact same name, and also by strange coincidence, the exact same job, (senators), from the exact same planet, who just happen to serve their terms as senator one right after the other.

Seriously, now, the Weenie wrote that in a humorous manner, but be honest. The third one is hardest to swallow. The answer? GL just made a tiny mistake, an oversight. The Weenie knows that this may be hard to hear for some of the gushers in here, but GL is only human after all, and he can make mistakes -- any human can -- and he has done it before.

The Weenie can live with that. What do you think?

EDIT: Oh yeah, just kidding about the black people!

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Perhaps you should raise the Weenie's Eyebrow at him ;)

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The pic of Bail Antilles is in the Who's Who pocket guide to TPM, one of few books I actually have. It came out before the film was finished, that's why Bail Antilles is in it, but not in the film.

I think that GL first intended that it should be Bail Organa, but realised that Bail would maybe be too old if he such a position already in TPM, so he changed the script when it was time to film it, but just changed the last name of the character.

And now to the nerdy in-GFFA theory. ;)

Is it possible that Bail Antilles and Bail Organa are close relatives? If I'm not totally mistaken there was a conflict on Alderaan (according to the EU you don't have to take it seriously if you don't want to) in regards to who had the rights to the throne, and it was settled that Bail Organa's family line was the one closest to the throne. Now what if Bail Antilles is a member of a separate family line, that would explain why he is called Bail (most families tend to have more than one member with the same name) and instead of the throne he got to serve Alderaan in the senate!

Ohhhh, I'm way too tired.

20. donwanquijote

Nov 20, 2002
    Yeah, its another certain point of view scam.

Lucas, "When that happened the jug-eared man who was Leia's father, became Sifuentes from LA law, and jug ears became some EU hack politico. He's more ears now than man"

Luke, "A certain point of view! You're making it up as you go!"

Lucas, (wincing) "Well . . .er . . . Is it obvious?"

Antillies, "I can hear every word, you know!"

21. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    I think that GL first intended that it should be Bail Organa, but realised that Bail would maybe be too old if he such a position already in TPM, so he changed the script when it was time to film it, but just changed the last name of the character.

Thats EXACTLY what Weenster thinks, Obi-Anne. The thing he really cant get his weenie around is...WHY WOULDNT HE JUST GIVE HIM A WHOLE NEW NAME?!? Why keep the "Bail", surely he would have known the confusion it would cause. And to make matters WORSE, he changed his last name to yet ANOTHER similar name -- "Antilles."

W

T

*?

It must have just plain slipped his mind. Or, he DID indeed have it planned that it would be THE "Bail Organa" that was supposed to be mentioned in that scene, but got mixed up.

22. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Ah... the EU has an answer for everything... :p

The explanation I continue to hear is that Antillies is just a common, ordinary name in the Star Wars Universe. A Star Wars Joe Blogg.

Unsatisfactory, I know.

23. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Aww, crap.

Yeah, of course I did mean to say Organa, not Antilles... [face_blush]

wenley, we know that Antilles is supposed to be a very common name, but what about Bail? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.