main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    This forum is dead...Too dead. Why is that?

You guys should be more like me right now...as in, hopped up on caffeine, procrastinating in your C++ lab that is due tomorrow and posting on this forum. :p

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol, not a C++ lab, but I'm often hopped up on caffeine and procrastinating on my forum designs for the new boards. :p

3. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    lol. Nice. Isn't that how all programmers do things? :p

How are the new forums coming along?

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    They look great so far, though there are some minor incompatibilities with the current banner style sheets that I'll have to work out.

Hoping to get in there and get very close to finishing the template designs this week. After that, it's all about customizing the PHP for certain board features, though that stuff isn't essential prior to the move.

5. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Very nice. I am curious to see how similar some of the work would be to the work I did on stormBoards.

I think it'd be interesting if you were to create a thread in here detailing (as much as you can) the process that you guys have taken to fix up the new boards, from a more technical standpoint. I am not sure how much info you'd be willing to talk about, but it'd be an interesting topic, in my opinion.

6. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Hmmm, I'm not sure at this point that it would necessitate an entire thread, as most of the work has just been modifying templates to change the look of the boards. I've been keeping a log on the test board, mainly with posts that look like this:

[ul][li]Styled New Posting templates[/li]
    [li]Edited postbit_legacy and added reply button to posts (also rearranged button order)[/li]
    [li]Styled Post Edit History templates[/li]
    [li]Edited FORUMHOME[/li]
    [li]Edited header and footer to fix IE8 display problem and recoded some of the banner image javascript code[/li][/ul][hr][/blockquote]

7. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Nice. I look forward to seeing them when they're done.

How long have you been doing web development/design?

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Since I was a senior in high school, which was 1997-98. I was in charge of the school's web site and probably taught myself more about HTML and JavaScript that year than my teacher did in class.

What about you?

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Wow, that's a long time :p. I am assuming you had a class for that in high school? I'm jealous, I did everything on my own.

I started with Web design/development stuff during my junior year of high school about six years ago. Once I got into my sophomore year of college and decided I wanted to major in computer science, I started into the more high level programming languages like Java and C++. So, in short: Web - six years (off and on); Non Web - two years.

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Nice.

Heh, it was actually my English class, if you can believe that. It was actually more of a technical writing and journalism type of class so we did things like write instructions on how to complete a task in Microsoft Office, and then moved on to updating the school's web site with new web pages for various school activities. I was put in charge of taking the write-ups from everyone and converting them into HTML if necessary. I also did a lot of page design and site redesign before my teacher basically gave me access to the server to update the live site. Best English class ever. :p

11. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Hey guys! Haven't been in here for ages... How's everyone?

Grimby, sounds a bit like one of those English classes I had for half a year. Our teacher decided we were to put all of our previous works together like a portfolio and we had to set up a webpage for it via one of those FTP programs the school owned - can't remember which one it was though. We never did get round to hosting them online though.

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    First post of 2011 in this forum! [face_dancing]

That reminds me of a portfolio project my freshman "cluster" professor wants me to complete every term. We have to put up a Google site with some of our work from the term, so it's not exactly very difficult to put up. This is where I wish I had some skills at tweaking the different designs and templates, but oh well. [face_whistling]

13. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    How's everyone?

I was just wondering which program you use to make the mockups or designs for a website. I've always used Photoshop, but at my new workplace, it seems to be more common with Fireworks. This is actually new to me so I'm curious to know how other people work.

Maybe someone knows the advantages with FW versus PS?

14. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I've never really used Fireworks. It's always been Photoshop or GIMP.

It's been a long time since I've been here.

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I always thought Fireworks was geared toward making easy web buttons and link graphics. At least that seemed to be its niche before Adobe bought Macromedia and acquired it along with Flash and Dreamweaver. I haven't really used it though.

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I've always gotten the same impression from Fireworks too. I still have the 2004 version.

17. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I did some reading up on Fireworks and apparently it was designed to appeal to people who were creating website prototypes and application interfaces. Supposedly it has better compression for graphics than Photoshop does when it comes to making web graphics.

18. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I'm beginning to like Fireworks. One big advantage is that you can save several pages in one file, which is very convenient. There's also web graphics for input fields, buttons and so on, which is a great help if you're doing a very quick prototype.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm glad you're liking it.

What version are you using?

20. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
  21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    A major pain in my side at the moment is trying to figure out how to get my child theme to work in Wordpress.

I'm trying to build a new web site in Wordpress 3.1 with the Suffusion theme. The theme itself is outstanding, with more options and features than I even care to try out. The problem I'm having is that when I try to create a child theme by creating a subfolder with a custom style.css file inside the suffusion folder, my custom style fails to load. Anybody have an idea what I might be doing wrong?

22. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
  23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks Lexi. I've tried following the instructions there but still had no luck. The Suffusion theme does have a way to include extra CSS, but it will still load 3 other CSS files on top of that and I'd rather not have to process all that every time a page loads.

I think I'll experiment using TwentyTen and see if I can get a child theme to work with that. If I can, I'll know it's the Suffusion theme that's causing problems.

Edit:
    LOL, I'm a moron. While going into the admin panel to switch to the TwentyTen theme, I realized that my child theme for Suffusion was on the list. I just needed to select it! For some reason I had it in my head that Wordpress would automatically switch to the child theme once the files were uploaded. It's working now. :p

24. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

That's why you get paid the big bucks.

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This is why I experiment at home on a test server before pitching a new CMS idea at work. :p