main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I hope to see this board take off.

Most of my experience comes from the hailBoards project. Basically a friend of mine and I took the IGNBoards look and applied it to phpBB 2.0.x and also added tons of features to make phpBB more useful. We maintained the project for close to 3 years and you'll still find a site here and there who still use our original version. We decided to end the project after we started playing Lord of the Rings Online and phpBB 3.0.x was released. The 3.0.x line made most of the modifications we added obsolete and we really didn't want to learn an entirely new structure.

My main tools were Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Photoshop 7.

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Intriguing! Do you currently work in some sort of programming or website development company, Salty?

I had to Google that to know what it was. :eek:

3. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

Etch a sketch rules!

Nah, I don't do any web design work on a company level. Mine is all pretty much freelance work. Lord of the Rings Online pretty much put an end to my programming/web designing for close to 3 years. I'm trying to work my way back into it now.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Was it a good 3 years, though? :p

5. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Etch-o-Sketch is a cool trick for me amongst the kiddies. When I taught preschoolers, they would get me to write their names on it. LOL! I also do weddings, birthday parties and Bar Mitzvahs. [face_dancing] I have not perfected it, but it it were a little smoother to use, I could do well. Seriously though, as a child, I could not do a thing with one, but I picked it up as a teen and automatically started to write with it. Weird.

Oh, and here is an example of one of my banner/photomanips. It is an early one. I am unhappy with Anakin on the right and feel I should touch up the "boarder around his hair a bit to make it blend better. I did this for a friend who is a A/T shipper (so am I but I am a bigger L/M shipper!!!).

Hope you like. One day I will improve this. Also, the image link in my signature for the New Jedi Trials is mine as well. Check it out.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/carrjammin/Artwork/Banners/anitahiribrooke.jpg]

I did it all with a mouse and my right hand. And I am left handed. :rolleyes: Cannot wait to learn this tablet more. I also do fanfic and am working simultaneously on 3. When I get stuck on one I go to another. LOL! Please, let me know what you think. I know this probably belongs in a different thread but I am sort of shy about this and want to introduce this stuff first. Thanks. :)

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998

[face_laugh]

It sure was. We're getting an xpac this fall so I'm taking a break now. I don't think I'll ever play it as much as I did. I really want to get back into web stuff.

That pic is cool. I agree that Anakin pops a tad too much but it looks great other than that.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Hi! For those of you who don't know me (yet :p ), I'm Nat. Desipte being the Icon Manager here I actually don't do much in the way of design, though I have played around with Photoshop a bit and I enjoy it.

8. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    You do plenty from what I've seen in the icon thread in Comms. I remember when Rich (Grilled-Sarlacc) really took an interest in icons here and made the first really organized pages of icons that people could vote on and it showed which ones had been uploaded. I remember when we finally got this icon uploaded. It was a nice little victory for us.

9. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Hey Nat...*waves.* Sorry I have not made icons lately. I have had some mental issues...stress makes my bipolar act up. But my doc put me on a new med and I am going to try hypnotherapy for my anxiety. [face_peace] (Crosses fingers). Both my psych docs think it could help.

Oh yeah, I am mildly bipolar. Hope you still like me. :D I am a good person, been in treatment for 8 years, a brand new person since I got help. And bipolars are creative! [face_dancing]

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    They sure are. The most brilliant person I've ever met (who also happens to be a good friend of mine) is bipolar. The guy is scary creative.

11. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Stress the word scary. LOL! Normally though nobody would ever no I am bipolar. I hide it well.

12. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

I've been around all sorts of people in my travels. The bipolar ones are usually the most normal.

:p

13. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm Aya and I'm a Film and Video Production undergrad. Graphics aren't something I've ever done so hopefully someone here will be able to help me if and when I need it for class.

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yep, we'll be around to help you out.

15. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Welcome Aya. You have to start somewhere. Practice is very good to help you learn. Find a good program and learn how to use it. I use paint.NET and it was hard for me at first but I mastered it. Just keep at it. ANd have fun. Experiment. It is YOUR work. If you are not having fun doing it, that is when you need to try something different. For me it is therapy. I love it.

Enjoy. :) I am new here as well.

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Also, the only thing that matters is whether or not you like what you've created. It doesn't matter what others think.

17. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Very true Salty.

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I hope to see more people popping in here.

19. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks y'all.

Jaden: I downloaded Paint.net, I'll play with it as time allows in the next few days.

20. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I've never heard of that until now. I'm checking their site out now.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Other peoples' opinions are very valuable though, Salty, otherwise why would we even come together here on a forum wanting to share our work and get help? ;)

But I do know what you mean and agree to it.

Welcome Aya! :D

22. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Once you have played around with it for a while you can go to their forums on their site (http://paint.net) and too at their resources of add ons. If you need help just PM me. You have to install them into a specific folder but you should have no prob. And also getting new fonts online is a great thing too. Because not all computers can read all fonts but paint.net can read fonts and use them in your work. Like the Aurebesh above when you post (it says Post/reply/pm below and above in Aurebesh it says Fan Design in Aurebesh)...you can get that on http://blueharvest.net amongst other SW font sets.

Yeah, I am a nerd. :-B

I am still supposed to be writing a tutorial for paint.NET. :( But, go to the site and they have tutorials there for the specifics. It helped me learn the ropes and then I finetuned it. It is a great free program and has a lot to offer once you dig into it and learn it.

23. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I agree with both of you. Salty's right in saying that, in the end, yours is the only opinion that truly matters to you, but even then you should get feedback from others because, you never know, their opinions might change your opinion. If you disagree with their opinions then that's fine too. :)

24. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    2 sets of eyes are smetimes better than 1. They may see something you don't. Ultimately you have to love it though.

25. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi, I'm Fallen-Hero and I don't study in anything lol! But I have been an addict of Photoshop for years now and I'm currently using CS2. I did dabble once upon a time on html coding for personal websites, but that was aeons ago when geocities was still open. I also did venture into forum skinning for an rp site I used to be member of, though can't say I'm all too proud of the thing. I'm more into making signatures, banners and desktop wallpapers. I do, however have one or two profile skins for YUKU made that I'm proud of.