main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    My final project for the Diploma course I'm currently doing is about to begin. Well, it has begun as next week I present to the class my idea and what it is and then we have 10 weeks to complete it.

I don't know what I want to do yet. Whoops.

2. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

I spent so much time writing that final paper on Aristotle and how this college professor completely missed the mark in her paper about Aristotle. I was up all night long typing on my laptop. I had all my source copies all over the bed. I still don't know how I managed to pass.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You should totally get into making icons :D

Tyi - oops. Visit Nathan's Inspiration Station?

4. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm trying to learn my way around Paint.Net at the moment. Best way to learn is trial by fire. I can get Jacen/Anakin/Jedi Fighter into a 30x90 icon. I haven't tried to get Jacen/Anakin/Jaina into a 90x30 icon yet. That Jedi Fighter in the center can be a 50x50 icon fairly easily.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    At least my final project is not a "paper". Uuuggh, I'd shudder at the thought.

Oops? Why oops, Nat? o_O :D

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yeah, that paper was around 30 pages of nothing but pure political philosophy.

7. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Aside from an exam in my Music History: Rock & Pop online class that I need to finish by next Thursday, no, actually. We actually just ended our first assignment in Ceramics class too. Only I could come up with toadstools, flowers, tree stumps and alien-like things with their tongues sticking out from an assignment where we have to make push pots *not* look like push-pots.

I'm just really struggling to draw, come up with a new layout for my new domain and everything. I think the last thing I did, creativity-wise, was edit a new-ish layout for my Cad Bane LJ community and that was just a simple template edit.

Bah. I'll look around and get inspired. Somehow. :p

8. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    As mentioned before, we have an Inspiration Station for that. :D

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Before a couple weeks ago, it had been 3 years since I opened Photoshop/Dreamweaver or looked at a book having to do with design.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    This is my first pass at the Jacen/Anakin icon.

http://www.flaviangroup.org/jcavatars/brothers.gif

11. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Looks nice. May I give advice oh great one? :p A little more lightness/contrast. It is a bit dark on my monitor. I like it! Good job!

12. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

I'm a n00b at graphic stuff.

I noticed it was dark on my laptop too. I'll brighten it up a bit.

13. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Ok, I brightened it up a bit and gave it some more contrast.

14. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks for taking my advice. I have learned that when things are made small, they become dark and harder to see. And the color sometimes gets washed out of them. Experience is valuable, and so is advice which I gladly accept. :)

15. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Considering how long it's been since I've worked with this stuff I'll take whatever advice I can get on how to refine what I'm working on.

16. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Hey, just look at it. If it looks good, great. If the color is off, fix it. If the size is off, fix it. It is really just judgment. WHen I do bugger things, I like to go for realism. In icons, it is too small for that to work. I looks real if you do very little. A little goes a long way in smaller projects but it is also harder in a lot of ways to make icons because they are small. Making them look right size-wize is tough. Because you want to see it.

17. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Source files are extremely important when making icons too.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    The icon looks good, although you might want a border around it. Maybe? *shrugs* Good stuff though!

To me Anakin looks a little strange in the small icon version because he has his eyes closed. I wonder what it'd look like with them open . . .

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I agree about the eyes. Even the full size image looks a little bizarre because they all have their eyes closed.

I was thinking about a border but couldn't decide on a color.

Any ideas?

20. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    On paint.NET you can make a border that is the just the negetive of the area you are taking for the border. You make the border in a color of your choice in a new layer (so it is on top of the image), then go to that layer's properties and there is a dropdown that you can play with. Different effects. Other than that I am too tired for real ideas and am abou to go to bed. ;)

21. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Try picking a color in the icon itself that stands out from the rest of the palette.

22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Bed? But it's bright blue sky outside! :p

Yeah, Salty, I'd listen to the icon makers on the border colour. I'd just make something up myself, never having created an icon before.

23. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Thanks for the advice. I have a couple ideas for colors from the icon.

24. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Added a border to it. It doesn't show up all that well on the white background (looks good on a gray background). I need to create an actual page to hold icons I upload. This is all sorta off the cuff right now.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I can see the border. It looks good, nice choice.