main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I might create another where it's Anakin and Jaina.

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    How're you finding Paint.Net, mate?

3. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It's not too bad actually. The tab-like feature is a little different from having two images side by side. It's a little strange not having a crop tool but that's easy enough to get around. I really like the interface and there seems to be a ton of plugins posted on their forums.

4. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    You can crop. You use the selection tool and then there is a button on the top left area under the Layers menu (roll over it) and it is Crop to Selection. Also when you have in selection mode, uip on the too bar, there is "selection mode". It is awesome. By default it is se to select one thing and if you click again it releases what it selected. But if you look at the different modes you can add onto the selections, take away from it, etc. Play with it. Then on that tiny little toolbar next to the selection tool (the square) is the arrow, and that allows you to move the section, change it's size, and rotate it with the right mouse button. Just lake sure you do some of those things in separate tabs if you want to do layers because if you are doing layers, cutting things, depending on how you do it, will effect the entire picture, not just the layer. solve that by opening a different image, same size and then paste it into a new layer on the image I am workiong on when I am done and work from there.

Got sll that?

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Because I felt like typing "oops" more than "that's not good" :p Oops is an excellent word - and I should know :p

I kinda skimmed the rest - but I'm excited for teh icons! Don't forget to post them in the icons thread when you've gotten them to the point you want them :)

6. Heavy-Metal-Baby

Heavy-Metal-Baby Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2009
    Nat, I think I posted part of a tutorial back there. Maybe I could create a Paint,net Q&A thread with the basic tutorial in the tutorial thread and a link to the Q&A thread in my post. ? Would that fly?

Sorry, posted as my sock, it is me Jaden.

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I'd definitely like to see a QA on Paint.Net.

8. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I will wait to see what Nat thinks. I can definitely get answers for you. I can find the answers as well if I annot find them off the top of my hear. I have been using the program for years. They have a forum, and if I need help with a queston, I can look it up there, but having someone here with the answers could really help. I could do it. I would be glad to do it.

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Nat, I'm tweaking the icons a bit but I'll post them when I'm done.

10. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Salty, that Anakin/Jacen icon you made looks pretty nifty IMO. In other news, I was skimming through the fanforce icons and I had to stare at the Anchorage one, lol. I actually was the one who made that. Guess that means I did contribute to the icons part of the board after all.

11. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

That's a nice surprise. This Blue Yoda icon is the only one I've ever been involved with.

12. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    *de-lurks*

Hi, I'm Ludo Kressh and I just started in the spiraling vortex that is icon making as well. I also had the pleasant surprise of seeing a few of my creations uploaded for use here and I'm still making more as we speak.:D At first I struggled with it, but as I read some nice tutorials here and there and played around with it for awhile, I think I'm getting a little better at it, although I tend to always be down on my work.

I use GIMP 2, I tried GIMPshop, but didn't like it. It's a nice program for someone like me who can't afford PhotoShop:p and fairly easy to use....although I'm not very good at conveying directions like some of you here[face_worried] .

For me, it's about having fun with it and exploring a creative side to myself I never thought I had. And trying new things is always good, IMO.(Unless it's exotic food:p )

13. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Glad to see you de-lurk. Hopefully you'll spend more time here with us.

You know, I've messed around with GIMP but I could never get the hang of it. Photoshop spoiled me.

14. Heavy-Metal-Baby

Heavy-Metal-Baby Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2009
    I want Photoshop but I will buy it or do something legit to get a full version.

15. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Education discount is probably the easiest way if you're a student.

16. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    But it's still really expensive with the discount.

17. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Oh I know, all too well...

:(

I think Paint.Net and GIMP are good alternatives.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    You can get the Adobe Suites for $500 here. The student versions, I mean. I have one of them. And that's Australian dollars ... so it'd be even cheaper for you.

Great to see you, Ludo!

Salty! :eek: You look so different with that icon. :p

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yeah, I look different with my clothes on.

:p

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Salty - awesome!

Jaden - that would be freaking amazing - thank you!! [:D] I think I'm eventually going to start a new version of the icons thread and post a link to tutorials in one location (something like what Grimby did with banner creation).

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

22. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    A new thread in here, or a new version still in Comms?

23. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Really? Let me know in a PM how to go about it all and I will start as soon as I can. Like where to post it, etc. Thanks! I will use a lot of links/quotes from their site (and of course give proper documentation).

24. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I look forward to the tips and tricks for Paint.Net. The more I've used it the better it seems.

25. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    The more I use it the more I learn still. And the site forum is great. It has add ons made by users that the site sort of promotes. It allows you to use any font in your collection too. It has a few limitations but the limitations I have found in the past were just tricks I just had to work around. It made me work harder and be more creative to get the same result as with someone with PS. 3.2.6 is out but I am Alpha testing (yes, Alpha) 3.5. So far so good. I was in the new Yahoo mail Beta test too. Boy, they worked out a lot of crap before launching it to the rest of the public. It had a lot of problems. But they worked each one out and still are. Same with PDN. We are to report any weird things going on, so they can fix it. I have used the regular version so I know what SHOULD be there. I hope. ;)