main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The West Wing] Canadians in the East Wing (Dear Diary Challenge 2017) COMPLETED DEC 30

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Briannakin , Jan 2, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: So I had these entries in my head since the beginning of the year and I knew they were kinda fluffier, even for this diary, which isn’t supposed to be very serious in the first place (if the title wasn’t any hint of that). But I think, in my attempt to make these entries NOT 6000 words long, they ended up being completely one-dimensional and a bit silly. Part of me wanted to re-write them (and I did rework them a bit), but the other part of me knows I have some more substantial/politically parodical entries I want to focus my energy on. Plus getting 48 entries, which so far have averaged ~1000 words each, in is not going to be an easy (particularly since I’m still so lost).
    Tags: mavjade

Helen Santos - July 14, 2007 - Entry 7

The past few months have been remarkably busy, yet also so very uneventful (which is a good thing - I am NOT complaining). In the world of politics, Matt’s lobbying reform passed through the house after a fight. However, now, money will not buy power. It never should have to begin with. War has been avoided in Kazakhstan. The Chinese took the deal Matt offered, the Russians returned home and the Polish oversaw new elections in the region.

I’ve been shipped off to Argentina and Pakistan so far on solo state trips. I basically smile and shake hands. I miss my kids and Matt when I’m gone (and I know he misses us when he is gone), but I know everyone is in good hands with Maria (Matt’s sister who we hired as a nanny has been so much help). She has her own apartment here in DC and takes care of everyone, only staying overnight when I’m gone. Matt and I were in Paris, France all last week for his first G8 meeting, so Maria was over in the residence, bugging me before I left.

“You know,” she said, going through all my formalwear, “You will be the first Santoses to ever go to Paris.”

I rolled my eyes and I packed my most boring undergarments. I was not having any sort of underwear embarrassment in France. “It is not going to be romantic. I’ve seen our schedules for the week. We don’t have any time alone from 7am to 9pm each day. You could go in my place as First Lady and there would be no changes to the events of the week. You and Matt would do the same about of romantic stuff as we will fit in.”

At that point Matt, who was on the other side of the bed, drinking water, spewed the liquid all over whatever he had been reading.

Maria laughed. “See? Matt does have something romantic planned!”

Turns out, Matt did, but just like everything else, nothing went as planned, for ‘Matt’s romantic plans’ at least.

Matt spent the vast majority of the week in various meetings. I had some meetings (largely glorified photo ops) with other heads of states’ wives and husbands. Nadine Dallaire was there, which was nice. I also made a connection with President Gaudet’s wife - the “First Lady of France”, as well as Prime Minister Grady’s husband, John - who is just the most dapper Englishman.

Donna also came to France, largely because I knew what Josh had planned to do, but I’ll let her get into that. We spent a good part of the week sight-seeing around Paris. It was just fun to get away from the office for awhile and hang out with her, just as friends - though she still insists on calling me Mrs. Santos.

The last evening was when Matt’s big romantic gesture was planned. But it was the last afternoon was when everything went wrong.

Before some meeting with several ambassadors, we were eating a quick lunch at the hotel’s restaurant with Donna and Josh. Matt stopped eating his soup suddenly. “Can someone please make sure this is what I ordered?”

“Why? You better not have any stupid allergies,” Josh said as Donna got up and ran to get a member of the waitstaff.

I nodded. “Mushrooms.” Matt’s bizarre allergy to fungus is quite severe, but because it isn’t exactly the most common food, it was never an issue when he was in the marines and it has never come up in his political life. I mentioned it to the White House chefs when we moved in, to the Secret Service, and to his foreign travels team, and they all said it could easily be accommodated.

“And you didn’t think it was important to tell me?” Josh railed.

“Well, it isn’t like he has MS!” I snapped back.

“That’s going to be the tagline of my presidency,” Matt muttered. At this point, he was loosening his tie and undoing the top button of his shirt. His face, neck, and hands were quickly swelling.

Donna came rushing back. “The chef wanted to add some more flavour for the president so he added truffles.”

I rolled my eyes as Matt looked to his Secret Service - all of who were starting to crowd around. “Who has - .”

He was interrupted by Ron Butterfield, the head of the Secret Service for the past 9 years. He dealt with Bartlet and now he was reaching into his pocket for an Epipen, which he stuck into Matt’s thigh through his dress pants.

“Please tell me he doesn’t have to go to the hospital,” Josh groaned.

Fortunately for Josh, Matt did not. The Epipen didn’t do much to stop the swelling, but it did delay it long enough to get him back to our suite and a team of medical professionals to him. He didn’t stop breathing - thank the Lord - but he did lose the ability to open his eyes. He had an extremely bad reaction, probably because he had never had truffles. He was… puffy, and the solution was to drug him up. When his speech was relatively understandable again, the doctors said he was fine to rest as long as someone monitored him. I was helping Matt into his pajamas when there was a knock on the suite door. It was Josh, who had vanished after the doctors gave Matt the okay.

“How’s he doing?” Josh asked me.

Matt replied, no where close to his normal, articulate self. “I’ll be fine after a nap.”

I looked at Josh. “He’s going to sleep for the next 12 hours.” At that moment, I realized my most important job as first lady: to know my husband like no one else.

“I’ve worked with worse before. I cancelled the rest of the meetings for today. It won’t rouse any suspicion, none were particularly important. You’ll be able to do the final meeting and press conference with the other leaders tomorrow morning before we are scheduled to leave, right?”

I nodded. “He’ll be fine if he gets his rest this evening.”

Matt then sighed and looked up at me. “Guess that means our romantic night is ruined.”

I kissed his blotchy forehead. “Whatever you had planned, Paris is overrated anyways. Donna and I got to see all the stuff worth seeing already. Make it up to me when we actually go somewhere worth some time alone.”

Matt turned to Josh. “You should forget your reservations and take Donna on the night I had planned for Helen.”

“YES!” I exclaimed, not knowing the details either of them had laid out, but I knew Donna deserved to be treated like a first lady the night she got engaged.

The rest of my afternoon and evening actually didn’t end up being too bad. Matt slept for a couple hours and I had a couple hours to myself to read and have a bath with a glass of wine - something that almost never happens. He woke up long enough to have a very simple dinner with me - peanut butter and jam sandwiches and we went to bed remarkably early. I’m not sure if this life is aging us, but it was the best night I have had in awhile.

H.S.

Donna Moss - 07/16/2007 - Entry 7

So I guess I’ll start from the beginning? Well, after the medical emergency. Josh told me that the first lady and president were going to spend the rest of the evening in their suite and that they had welcomed us to take their reservations. I know I was so very excited. He told me to dress up, and I did in a little black dress I had packed. When I came out of the bathroom, Josh was looking so dapper in a black dress shirt. He was also acting… odd.

“Um, so we are going to have to use a secondary limo. Butterfield wants the main one here with the full motorcade incase something happens.”

“We can just take a taxi.”

“Well, no. Actually. I need to get back here quickly incase -.”

“Something happens,” I said, knowing that statement all too well.

It was such a simple thing, yet he was acting so bizarre. I knew something was up. He awkwardly took me by the arm. He led me downstairs and into an awaiting limo.

Which took us to the Eiffel Tower. We were led by guides to one of the restaurants - the Le Jules Verne - which had been cleared out. We were the only ones seated and the waiter assured us that the chef would make whatever we wanted, and then brought out one of the wines.

Though-out the entire evening, Josh went from blabbing to being completely silent.

Finally, as I put down my dessert spoon (chocolate mousse is so much better in Paris!), I lifted an eyebrow. “Josh, what’s going on?”

“Nothing!” he said. “I just didn’t plan for tonight to be so fancy.”

“Really?” I asked. I then looked out over Paris. “This has been the most romantic nights of my life.”

“You don’t mind that I didn’t plan any of it. I basically just took you for the dinner the president had planned with his wife.”

“I’m in Paris with the man I love. The other stuff - the limo, the food, the wine - has just been background. I’m just glad President Santos hates French Opera. We aren’t going to go to some show are we?”

Josh shook his head. “The president was going to take his wife on some private tour on one of the museums you guys didn’t have time to see.”

I shook my head. “Why am I not surprised?” The first lady, bless her Master’s in Anthropology and Archeology, nearly drove me back to the US with her museum tours.

“What we do next is up to you, but I want to go to the Champaign bar at the top of this thing.”

I nodded, completely forgetting Josh had been stuck in meetings all week. “Sure! It is so pretty. I bet it is even prettier at night.”

I grabbed my shawl as Josh managed to murmur, “Not as pretty as you.”

I gave him a kiss for that.

It was at the top of the Eiffel Tower where I found out why Josh was acting so weird. We were looking over the city, glittering with sparking lights, sipping Champaign, when Josh quickly downed his drink and blurted. “Donna. If you got into an accident, I wouldn’t stop for a beer.”

“What? Josh?” I then noticed he was sweating. I had never seen him in such a state.

“Shut up and listen.” He then looked shocked at his own words. “Sorry. Sam, Bartlet, and Santos said this was going to be hard,” he murmured. “What I wanted to say is, I suck at talking. I don’t know how to be romantic. I know this is quick, but I should have done this years ago. When you were in an accident, I didn’t stop for oceans. So I hope my actions speak louder than my words.”

He then got down on one knee and pulled a ring from his pocket. I gasped as he put it on my finger.

“So?” he asked, even though he actually never asked me any question.

I ran my other hand through his hair. I nodded. “Yes.”

DM

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I read this soon after you posted but had to go before I could review, so of course I forgot I hadn't done it. *face palm*

I love the idea of Helen and Donna tooling around Paris just hanging out together!

Ron to the rescue! I love that man.
    I also liked Matt saying the tagline to his presidency was going to be that it's not like he has MS. It was a good way to lighten quite a tense situation.

I loved Josh deferring to Helen after they got Matt squared away. Josh, for all the stupid things he does, he isn't a stupid man. I also loved them giving Josh their reservations. That's so sweet and so Matt and Helen.

[face_love] This is what makes Donna such a wonderful person. It truly wouldn't matter to her where they were and what they were doing. The great reservations are a bonus, but it really doesn't matter.

YAAAYYYY!! Josh's proposal!! [face_love] I can just imagine Josh being so nervous and that really came through when he told her to shut up for a moment, which made me laugh really hard. But him going back to he wouldn't stop of a beer, but then adding to it, that he didn't stop when she was half-way across the world, that really made it for me.

I didn't think this update was one dimensional at all! I really enjoyed the little details like Josh having to take the limo just in case. I thought this was another amazing update and I continue to look forward to more of it!

Briannakin likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, poor Matt! The truffles! :eek::oops:[face_laugh] Only in Paris, right? :p

Though, once the crisis was averted, I loved the humor in your dialogue - of course these folks purge their stress by quipping! And the 'romantic night' being ruined turned out to be a good thing in the end - for Josh and Donna, at least. What a story they left Paris with!

I really enjoyed the proposal, that said - it's one of your overblown romantic sights, but it's not the surroundings that matter at all, like Donna says. Instead, it's Josh's fumbling with his speech and just saying what he wants that was wonderfully in character in the end. And, of course Donna said yes. I seriously said 'about time!' at my screen. Because . . . obviously. :p [face_love]

A most lovely update! [face_love]=D=

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's fine. You have a lot going on.

I love Ron! I just love how they got the same actor back to play the head of the Secret Service from season 1 till the finale. It was the small details like that which made me love this show.

As much as I liked what we got to saw of Matt Santos and his policies, let's be honest - his presidency would always be in the shadows of Bartlet's.

Josh knows when to listen to the first lady. Abbey Bartlet taught him that I think.

I'm pretty sure Sam actually wrote the proposal :p But I'm glad you laughed.

Thanks!

[quote="Mira_Jade]
    Oh, yeah, if there's a place for strange food allergies to come out, it's France.

Thanks. The humor in TWW is one of the things I love about it.

Oh I totally agree that Paris is an overblown romantic site, but I think Donna enjoyed it just a little :p

I'm glad you enjoyed Josh's fumbling :p[/quote]

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: I’m sorry Helen’s entry is so much longer here. My muse just had so much freedom. I tried writing more for Donna but I just felt so nervous re-counting the Josh/Donna romance after only seeing the majority of it once. I’m getting a bit exhausted with writing a political fanfic. Fanfic is an escape for me and if there’s one thing I need an escape from some days, it’s politics.

Donna Moss - 07/18/2007 - Entry 8

Mrs. Santos wanted all the details of my engagement. I told her everything but she also realized she didn’t know how Josh and I met. So I told her and I figured I should include it in this journal.

I was 24, a college drop out, I had just broken up with my boyfriend and I wanted to do something productive, meaningful with my time, so I volunteered for “Bartlet for America” - President Bartlet - then Governor Bartlet - first presidential campaign. I entered the campaign office and just picked a phone to answer. I wanted to help so much.

I was on his phone when Josh entered his cubical. He didn’t even notice me at first, but when he did, he just had a look of bewilderment on his face. Sadly, it wasn’t a good kind of bewilderment. I introduced myself with a smile. Josh introduced himself with confusion and annoyance. He somehow knew my entire situation: that my dumb ex-boyfriend had made me drop out so I could work and he could go to medschool. Despite my lack of experience, Josh let me continue working with him, even after Bartlet won the presidency.

He believed in me, believed that I could help him. He might be grumpy, but Josh has always believed in me.

I’m not sure when I fell in love with him. Perhaps it was when he let me be his secretary, or when he let me come back a few months later after I had abandoned him for my ex. In the first few years, he did drive me crazy. But when he was shot and it looked like we might lose him, I just remembered thinking I didn’t want my life to be without him.

But I can tell you when he fell in love with me. Perhaps I know him better than I know myself.

When I went to Gaza and I was a victim of a roadside bomb. That attack killed a greater person than I will ever be, and ended me up fighting for my life. I woke up in a hospital in Germany. And Josh was there, to care for me. To be with me. He didn’t want to be without me. I was just so thankful he was there. I was scared, but he just told me “don’t be, you’ll be fine”.

We did have major professional fallouts after that, but perhaps those were for the best. Because somehow I always knew, we were going to end up together, and not in any sort of professional relationship.

We are getting married and I couldn’t be happier.

D.M.

Helen Santos - July 18, 2007 - Entry 8

When I asked Donna how she met Josh, I simply had to smile. I just got the feeling that Josh turned everything around for Donna, and that Donna changed everything for Josh.

Donna then asked how I met Matt. After working and being friends with Donna for over six months, she didn’t accept the half truth of “we met though his sister” we have told the world. I told Donna the full story, but it is not a story I wish to share.

But I know my position is a platform. Hopefully by the time this diary is published, young women and men will not have to deal with such evil. While I pray such horrors will be no longer dealt with my future generations, if it is still happening in the future, I want the victims to know they are not alone and that such events do not define a future.

I met Matt the night my stalker attempted to rape me.

Without getting too into it - I don’t want this diary to turn into a sob story - this is what happened:

After high school, I wanted to return to Canada (I was still an angry teenager longing for home), but my mother and father made me a deal: if I stayed in Huston, they would pay for my undergrad degree. Though my older sister lived in Canada, they didn’t want the family to be split up further. I begrudgingly agreed. However, I made it clear to my peers - the boys - that I wasn’t sticking around the US so, as a good Catholic girl, I wasn’t dating. So it became a bit of a competition on campus with the immature college boys: who could get Helen Chlebek.

One boy took it too far. I won’t even give him a dignity if a name. It was the end of the Fall semester of my Junior year and the last day of exams, so the dorms were pretty empty. He had annoyed me relentlessly before, but on that day he hid in my dorm room, which I shared with Matt’s youngest sister Lucia (Lucy), as we had been friends and roommates since freshman year. How this kid figured out both Lucy’s and my schedule, and the fact that I’d return from my exam first, simply creeps me out.

When I got back to our room, he tried to take advantage of me, and I resisted. Thank the Lord, Lucy decided not to go to the gym that evening and walked in, sending the kid running. I was fairly upset, beat up, but I didn’t want my parents to see me and I didn’t want to stay on campus in the dorms. So Lucy said I’d be welcome at her parents’ place with her, since she was heading that way for the holidays.

I had met Luis and Marita Santos - Lucy’s parents - along with most of her siblings (Elena, Carla, Jorge, and Julia) on a couple of occasions before that night so they were very welcoming. I met Maria that evening. I weirdly didn’t mind Lucy telling them what happened. Perhaps it was the fact that the didn’t really know me, so I really didn’t care what they thought. They told me I could stay there as long as I wanted, despite it being the Christmas season. Marita tended to my injuries and Luis insisted in driving Lucy and me to make a police report (which nothing came out of, until the stupid kid raped THREE OTHER GIRLS on campus. It was just pathetic that it took so many women to come out against this kid to put him behind bars for 20 years). After a very emotional day, Marita insisted that I sleep alone in her sons’ room since only Jorge was home and he could sleep on the couch. Matt wasn’t expected from the naval base till later the next day.

Well. Apparently Matt wanted to surprise his parents by returning late that night and being there when everyone woke up.

I’m told Matt met Donna during the primaries when she was sleeping on the couch of the Vice President’s office on the hill. She had been told to welcome in congress members who weren’t supposed to be in DC for a vote on stem cell research. He had been the first member of congress to arrive. I’m told there was screaming.

That was pretty much Matt’s and my first meeting back in December 1988. He came into his room where I was sleeping - slightly drugged on painkillers - in his and Jorge’s old bed (thankfully it was queen-sized). He tells me he was fairly tired from the drive back to Huston and he thought I was Jorge.

Under different circumstances, it would have been hilarious. After 18 years, I do admit, it’s pretty funny if you ignore the fact that I was assaulted less than 12 hours earlier.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if he had woken me up, or if he had started screaming. But he didn’t even notice - he got into bed with me. And slept with me in the bed.

I woke up around 6am, still pretty drugged up, noticed a very large man, seven years older, in the bed with me, in his underwear. I screamed bloody murder. He woke up, saw me, screamed. Which woke up the rest of the family who came rushing in.

Matt still wants to kill Jorge for what he said: “Well, I see you’ve met Helen.”

I was pretty emotional, so Lucy, Elena, and Maria took me to their room to calm down.

Matt came to apologize a little while later, carrying a cinnamon bun and a glass of milk. I was sitting on Lucy’s bed, heaving, recovering from a full scale panic attack - the first of many, though I didn’t know that was what it had been.

“Can I come in?” Matt asked after knocking on the door. “I’m wearing pants.”

I smiled at this so he was allowed to come in.

“I am so very sorry.” He then explained himself as he handed me the plate and glass. He then noticed my black eye developing from the night before and the bruises on my arms. “Did I hurt you, Helen?”

I shook my head, suddenly embarrassed to be seen in such a state by this handsome man.

“Some bastard in our dorm,” was all the explanation Lucy gave. “You should see what Helen did to him.”

He then had this look of understanding. He didn’t need any further explanations. He simply cared that I was hurt. “Oh. Can I pray with you?” he asked. And then I just knew. He was the man who I was going to spend the rest of my life with. He sat on the other end of the bed, gently joined hands with me and Maria. Lucy held my other hand and I just knew I was to spend the rest of my life with him.

I told him later that day the full details when we more formally introduced each other. After I did he asked me if he could hug me. He barely knew me, yet his love was so strong. I spent a lot of time with the Santos family that Christmas.

After Matt went back to his base, we started to exchange letters. At first he just wanted to make sure I was okay, but then we realized we had so much in common: our love for God, anything nerdy and our wish to do good in the world. We began dating the summer of 1989, were engaged when he returned from the Gulf war in early spring 1991 and were married December 17, 1991. I’ve never looked back.

H.S.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I will never not enjoy the story of how Josh met Donna! That was a wonderful recap. And I love that Helen loved it! :D

Helen's story was a bit more sobering, of course - heartbreakingly so. But it was all the more hard-hitting for just how real it was. This may be fan fiction, but my mind instantly thought of too many similar RL situations that I personally know of, and too many women can say the same. [face_plain]

But then I loved how supportive Matt's family was. What a beautiful support system. [face_love][face_love]

Yikes!! Oh, Helen! :( While this had to be a good laugh for them years later, I can only imagine how scary that was for her then.

- but, of course Matt is such a dear. [face_love][face_love] Just:

Okay, I'm not going to lie - I grinned like a fool reading this paragraph. That was the perfectly soft, uplifting note to wrap this update up with. Just beautiful. [face_love][face_love]

This was another fantastic update, that said! :) I hope that the story takes it easy on your muse; this should be fun, but I have to give you all the kudos for tackling something politically based! That's quite the challenge, but I think you are pulling it off wonderfully. =D=

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    *runs in*
    I'm here, I'm here!

[face_love] I love this so much. Josh is a doofus when it comes to personal matters, but he always believed in her and I love that she can see that at this point. There was a time where I think she lost that (and let me tell you how that killed me to watch). Josh and Donna's meeting is one of my favorite scenes. Not only because I'm a sucker for backstory, because I totally am, but because it's so perfectly Josh and Donna.

I love that she's not entirely sure when she fell in love with him, but she knows exactly when he realized he was in love with her. And I completely agree with her. I think he was in love with her before that, he just didn't know it... because of the aforementioned doofusness.

Helen is very observant and I love that she see this. I really enjoy how Helen and Donna are more than First Lady and Chief of Staff, they are friends and it shows.

Oh wow. :( But you handled the story really well. I like the parallel to how Matt and Donna met, but it's so heartbreaking in Helen and Matt's story.

This is so sweet, and so Matt! Even though they met under terrible circumstances, it still makes for a lovely story because, Matt being who he is doesn't make what happened any better, but just makes things better. Does that make any sense? He's just [face_love]

This was a lovely update, I'm so happy to learn more about Matt and Helen's story!

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Me too! Thanks!

Yeah. I know I'm kinda preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to include some very issues, and campus sexual assault is still very real and prevalent. I may come back to this later in the diary, which was why I wanted to introduce it here.

I know a family like this and they are just wonderful!

Of course Bail Matt is a dear. His sisters taught him well!

I'm just a sucker for mushy love at first sight moments (even if I don't believe in it).

Thanks! I'm going to keep going, but don't be surprised if I slip to more personal entries like this one, because blah politics.

Thanks. You totally reminded me this should have been updated yesterday!

Thanks! Josh is a total dufus.

I'm a total sucker for backstory too and theirs was just so... them!

Oh he was totally in love with her from the moment he started ragging on all her dates. Even Joey Lucas saw it!

Thanks. I think the First Lady and Chief of Staff would naturally become friends. Plus in their few scenes together, they just seemed to be so honest with each other, which I think would be a rare thing for both of them given the climate in which they live/work in.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about including it, but I'm glad I did.

And Matt is just so genuine. What you said make sense. I can see him being able to... not make something horrible go away, but give a person hope that there is good days ahead.

Thanks. It was a nice break from writing politics.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: The whole Samson and Mario thing was inspired by Abbey Bartlet calling her husband Jethro, which always cracks me up.

Helen Santos - January 7, 2008 - Entry 9

My husband is a jackass.

I turned 40 today. I’m drunk and my husband is a jackass.

Matthew Vincente Santos is a JACKASS.

H.S

Donna Moss - 01/08/2008 - Entry 9

I’d better explain the first lady’s entry from last night. I’ll try to recount all the details, but my memory is a bit fuzzy thanks to the wine. And the whisky.

I think the events of yesterday have been brewing for awhile. The first lady spent the majority of the autumn on diplomatic trips. I barely saw her, and I’m sure the president saw her even less. She complained to me about seeing her kids so little and having so little communication with her husband. Thankfully the first family was together for the Christmas season, but I think that may have been part of the issue.

The first lady was under the impression that the family was going to spend the holidays in Huston in their home for a short time. The president told her the Secret Service didn’t like the idea, since securing the Huston home had fallen off the priority list. What he didn’t tell her was that while she was somewhere in India, China, or Australia in September, he had sold their house. He had sold it on the advice of several people (Josh, the Public Relations team, the Secret Service) who all thought the president owning a vacant home in the middle of Huston, in the middle of a housing crisis, was just a media and a possible security disaster waiting to happen.

She didn’t find out the truth till yesterday. Till her birthday.

She walked into my office early in the afternoon. I greeted her with a “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks,” she said. “Though you will re-think that phrase when you turn forty,” she groaned. “Anyways. Who would I contact about getting some stuff from the Huston house? My dad called me this morning and asked me if I had any of my grandmother’s cookbooks here because he was going to send me some if I didn’t. I told him I did. I lied and he’s going to find out.”

I paused. I had known the house had been sold. But I had thought the president had told her. Nope. “I think everything from the Huston house was put into storage,” I said delicately. “If you know what you want, I can have someone retrieve it.”

She looked at me, confused. “Why would everything be in storage?”

I had no idea what to say. “I think you need to speak to the president.”

“What did my husband do?” she gritted out.

“Something stupid,” I whispered. I know it wasn’t my place, but she deserved to know what the president had done. “I thought he told you. He sold the Huston house back in September.”

“WHAT?” she screamed. “MATT SOLD OUR HOUSE?” She then let out a breath as she walked around the room. “Thank you,” she said, trying to appear calm. “You are my friend, Donna, one of the few friends I currently have. You should go distract your fiancé. I’m going to need a few minutes alone with my husband.”

I followed her to the West Wing where Josh and the president were in the respective offices.

I slipped into Josh’s office - he was reading something - and said, “There’s about to be a domestic dispute. We should -.” I was then interrupted by alarms. I knew what it meant immediately: the White House was on lockdown. REAAAALLLY BAD timing. Cosmic karma rained on the president.

It took only a few minutes for the Secret Service to determine it was a faulty sensor, but Josh and I were privy a very private argument. It was very awkward (I asked Mrs. Santos if she was okay with me writing it as part of this entry and her reply was, “The world needs to know presidents are human. They are flawed… and jackasses.”).

After the alarms died down - yet we were still on lockdown - I heard Mrs. Santos say, “Well, now that we are locked in here, I’d say this is the right time for this conversation.”

“Helen,” the president said. “It’s your birthday.”

“DON’T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT, MATTHEW?” I had never heard her call her husband by his full first name.

“Well let’s not do this today.”

“We are doing this today, you jackass, because you sold our HOME WITHOUT TELLING ME! THEN YOU LIED ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS!”

Josh looked at me at me, cringing. “Should we tell them we can hear them?”

I shook my head. “I don’t think the first lady cares.”

“You were busy, practically unreachable on the trip to India. You were the one that decided to go into the rural areas - to that archaeological site with no phone-lines. It honestly slipped my mind, because I’m sorry I was dealing with Iran that month. When I realized, I didn’t want you mad over the holidays. I didn’t want the kids to have an unpleasant Christmas, Helena.” Yup, he used her full first name.

Josh covered his mouth in shock.

“Don’t you dare bring up the children, Matthew. Do they know you got rid of our family home?”

“Peter and Miranda are intelligent children. I’m pretty sure they know we will be staying here for awhile.”

“And what if we won’t be? You’re not invincible”

“I know that! And if I don’t win reelection we will have over two months to find a place to live.”

“And what if there is no we?” Her voice reached a tone of vulnerability. “You are not invincible, Matt. What if I’m the one looking for a place to call home to raise our children… because we are being kicked out of here… because you’re dead.” Helen didn’t mince or sugarcoat her words.

There was a long silence.

“Sweetheart… Len,” he said, his tone so soft.

“Don’t ‘Len’ me.”

There was another long silence. Then Josh’s door opened and Margret stuck her head in. “Lockdown has been lifted. Faulty alarm.” We all then wince again as a nearby door opened and shut.

I didn’t see the first lady until that evening.

I didn’t hear any word to cancelation of Mrs. Santos’ birthday party, so Annabeth and I had gotten ready and put on our dressed. Right before the event was supposed to begin, the first lady came back to our office suite, wearing a slinky black dress and her hair up in a tight bun. She looked great, but she still looked annoyed.

“Sorry for being gone all day. Do you guys mind joining me to my birthday party?”

“You’re going?” Annabeth asked. I had filled her in.

“Oh, I’m still mad at the jackass, and I don’t want go. But I’m not going to be petty and not go to my own birthday party. That will just give Matt an inch of highroad and I don’t want to give him that. I just need some support so I don’t punch him.”

“Well,” I said, thinking of a birthday party when Abigail Bartlet was pissed at her husband. “We could make an appearance, steal some food, some wine, then slip away. There is a precedence for this sort of thing.”

Mrs. Santos raised her eyebrow. “Is there? Well then, let’s go.”

We were at the party for a few minutes. It was frankly not a party I would have thrown for the first lady. Most of the guests either worked for the White House, or the government. The most fun we had was avoiding the president, which was easy given his typical entourage. We had instructed ushers to bring up certain plates of food up to the residence and we were in the process of grabbing two bottles of wine when we noticed Ainsley Seaborn actively trying to get away from Sam.

“Samuel,” she was saying, “I don’t want to do this here.”

The first lady walked by her. “Husband being a jackass?”

“My husband decided to run for congress without telling me he had finally made a decision.” She cast a cold glance back at Sam. “So, yeah, a jackass.”

“Ainsley, come get drunk with us. It’s my birthday.”

And that is how Mrs. Santos, Annabeth, Ainsley and I all ended up in the Residence, with two bottles of wine, puff pastries, and cheese-cake.

Ainsley told us about how Sam was thinking about running for congress in California in his childhood district since the seat had opened up. They had been discussing the idea, but Sam had gone and confirmed with the party leadership.

“What a jackass,” Annabeth commented, taking another drink from her wine glass.

“At least you guys were actually discussing the idea,” the first lady retorted. “Sam is going to run for president one day. When he does, put your house in your own name, so the jackass can’t sell it and leave you homeless.”

“You’re not exactly homeless, ma’am,” I reminded her.

“Donna, we are not being professional here. Call me Helen.” She took another drink. “Also, shut up, Mrs. Engaged-in-Paris. What if this place goes up in flames?”

“I think that is highly unlikely,” I replied.

“Don’t you know anything about Canadian history? It’s your home country’s history, too” she sneered. “War of 1812, Donna. British victory, by the way, your American propaganda is wrong. Anyways. 1814. We burned the White House. We occupied Washington and watched it burn. Man, I’d like to see this place burn… if it wouldn’t leave me homeless.”

“And now the Secret Service is putting you on all sorts of watch-lists,” Ainsley commented.

“Yeah? I’m sure I’m joining Abbey Bartlet on them and you're going to be on them one day. I swear spouses of politicians are idiots.”

Ainsley nodded. “Yup. I say we stand up to our husbands. When they come begging for our forgiveness -”

“And they will, because they were jackasses.”

“We stand up to them. They need us more than we need them.”

“But they both had good points, you know,” I spoke up.

“Oh do tell,” Mrs. Santos urged.

“Well, yeah, they both should have told you guys what was going on, but Ainsley, you and Sam have been talking about him running for congress again in the 2008 mid-terms since before you got married. He thought you were on board. And Mrs. Santos, yes the president should have told you he was selling the house, but you were in the middle of no where. He made an mistake in not telling you as soon as he realized, but he quite literally had to sign one document when it came to the whole process.”

“You make a point,” the first lady murmured. “I think I might have to go find the whisky.”

The rest of the night was a bit of a blur. There was a lot of discussion about my upcoming wedding. However, I do remember Josh coming into the residence.

“Now,” Josh said. “I’m going to fix two relationships.”

Us ladies laughed. “This should be good,” both Annabeth and I murmured.

“Ainsley, Sam is sorry,” Josh announced. “Your grievance is legitimate. He was a jackass. If you forgive him, you never have to set foot in California. If he wins, you he will spit his time between DC and California and you won’t have to quit your job here.”

I nudged Ainsley in the ribs. “Demand Fresca and cupcakes.”

“Yeah, tell Samson I want Fresca and cupcakes whenever I want,” she said, calling Sam by the wrong name.

“I’m sure that can be arranged. And you, ma’am,” Josh said, looking at Mrs. Santos. “If selling your house and not telling you is the worst thing your husband does during his time here, be thankful.”

“You are really bad at putting me at ease Josh,” she said, crossing her arms. “Mario sent the wrong person to plea for him.”

“He’s sorry. He’s willing to look at houses whenever you want but wanted to put your fears at ease. He looked up the procedure if he were to not make it to the end of his term: you and the children would be looked after. He talked to the vice president - who I think had some choice words for the president’s mistake - and the vice president said you and the children would be welcome to say here or in one of the presidential guest houses. Ma’am, if you don’t mind me saying this, he might have been a moron in his actions, but you and your children are always in his heart.”

“Ack, how can I demand more than that?” she asked with no reply.

Josh then said. “I will go negotiate with your husbands. They are being rather pathetic and annoying and have turned the first lady’s birthday into a pity party.”

“Ohhh,” Mrs. Santos mocked her pity. “Ainsley, lets go annoy Samson and Mario. We will make our own negotiations.”

Annabeth followed them and I stayed behind with Josh.

I leaned back and put my hand behind my head. “Of all the people to repair two marriages, I would never have guessed it to be you.”

“I’m a man of many talents, Donna.”

I gave him a look of doubt. “Yeah, but fixing marriages isn’t one.”

“It is when the husbands are being jackasses.”

The use of the word jackasses gave him away. “You called the Bartlets for help, didn’t you?”

“I asked my self ‘What would Leo do?’”

“And Leo would have annoyed the former president and first lady?”

“Oh they were happy to help.”

I had to smile at that. Of course they would.

“They accepted our invitation to our wedding, by the way.”

That just upped the Secret Service numbers.

D.M.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    What follows are live thoughts as I'm reading, not comments after reading the entire thing. Just a warning!

Helen's entry: [face_laugh] and Uh oh!! This is gonna be fun! (It didn't disappoint!)

Oh Matt, :oops: that was stupid. Beyond stupid. The reason was sound, but come on man! Use that brain we know you have!

My first thought was that Helen had done something that set off the alarms and I was like... woah, she is reeeally mad. LOL.
    I loved that she said Donna should go distract Josh.

I knew that's where she was going. :( It makes me sad that she's thinking about that, but it's understandable. The previous President was shot and it's not out of the realm of possibility. (I'm just hoping it's Helen being worried and not foreshadowing?? [face_nail_biting])

YEEESSSS!!! Love the call back to the show!

Oh man. It must be jackass night in the White House! Is Josh going to be the good guy for once or will he find a way as well??

Ahh ha ha.. YES!! The cupcakes and Fresca make a return! :D

Aww... Joshie! [face_love] Even if he did call for help, he got to be not the jackass for once! And his words about what happened to the menz were sweet.

I love that Helen wanted the public to see that the President isn't perfect and could be a jackass like anyone else.
    This was another great entry! I'm loving every word! =D=

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh good! My favourite type of review!

Thanks! From Helen's limited screen time, I'd figured she could pull another Abbey.

To be fair, his brain was probably on more important
    LOL! Who said Helen didn't do something?

Yeah, it was pretty clear that is where her mind was at. As for foreshadowing... let's just say them not having a private house is going to come back up later.

Probably one of my favourite episodes!

LOL. I love how your mind instantly goes there!

Of course!

Yeah, I think everyone has there Jackass moments, some more than others

Thanks so much for reading!

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Donna Lyman - 05/30/2008 - Entry 10

I am writing this on an airplane on my way to Hawaii. Full disclosure: Josh is asleep at my side. Snoring.

It has been an insane past few weeks. Josh deserves a nap. I think I do as well.

Josh has spent the past few months helping the president through one of the worst economic downturns America has seen since the Great Depression. I won’t bore the audience with details easily looked up, but the housing market crashed due to subprime mortgages and risks made by executives. Josh - and the president - bailed out banks and large companies and have appointed prosecutors to convict those responsible. But the economy is showing signs of recovery.

In the East Wing we have continued our official duties - charity events and the first lady spent two weeks in Africa advocating for international contributions for childhood vaccinations. But I have also spent the past few months planning my wedding (with the help of Annabeth and the first lady - much more interesting than economic relief).

Josh, frankly, left it up to me. He didn’t even care about the religious aspects. However, I decided for fairness on a civil ceremony on a Friday afternoon, as not to conflict with the Sabbath - mostly for Josh’s mom. I decided we would rent a party boat for the reception, since we were having a small wedding.

Josh and I were married on Friday afternoon. I got ready in the East Wing. Mrs. Santos was gracious and let my mother, father, and cousins (two of which were my bridesmaids, Ainsley was my Maid of Honour - since we have spent nearly every weekend of the past year and a half together) invade her space. I wore a simple white dress with a square neckline and no sleeves. My bridesmaids were in red.

Apparently, my brothers - Dario and Dante - and Josh’s mom invaded the West Wing. Margret wasn’t happy. Thankfully it was a quiet Friday.

We all loaded up in limos and headed to the National Harbour. We were married on a large, wide pier before the sun set. Out 50 guests watched on as my father walked me down the aisle to Josh. He was grinning like an idiot, but I think I was too. We kept the ceremony short, then we boarded the party boat and went out into the ocean.

It was a fairly tame reception. The food was amazing. Josh and I danced and we danced with our parents. Sam gave a toast. Our guests danced and drank a bit, but it was largely just a great hang out and relaxing environment. Our guest list included several faces from the Bartlet administration: CJ (who is pregnant! AHHH!) and Danny Concannon, Charlie Young and the three Bartlet sisters (Zoey, Ellie, and Elizabeth), Ginger, Bonnie, Margret, and Toby.

I think our “rowdy table” was actually the table where we sat Abbey Bartlet, President Bartlet, Helen Santos, and President Santos. When Josh and I walked by there, they all were laughing and yelling at each other. They all gave us hugs and congratulations.

The boat docked, but guests were welcome to stay. Josh and I escaped pretty early to a hotel room, where we spent most of yesterday in bed.

It is Sunday now and I have a week of Josh to myself.

I told him we were allowed no communication with DC during this week, so we didn’t bring any form of communication. What’s the worst that could happen?

D. L.

Helen Santos - June 5, 2008 - Entry 10

So, I might have killed the Pope.

Donna is still on her honeymoon (which she deserves - I had a blast at her wedding: Abbey and I had so much fun just talking about things that only we have experienced, like finding top secret files on our living room coffee table and the DAMN CREEPY painting outside the office I use - while Matt and President Bartlet just talked about airplanes).

Anyways, Pope Alexander IX randomly decided to attack me a few days ago (I did NOTHING), specifically my support for Planned Parenthood (which does so much more than abortions and provide birth control) as well as my advocation for access to and education about birth control (which does a lot more than prevent a woman from getting pregnant). Reaction to his sermon got really big so Annabeth (and Sam Seaborn) decided a reply was needed to cement our beliefs in the left.

My statement about the matter was much more eloquently written (because Annabeth wrote it), but I basically stated that there’s this thing called the separation of church and state and it’s a great thing. My decisions on birth control are private. I, nor Matt, do not force any decision on other women, because of the separation of church and state. I also stated that the scriptures say NOTHING about modern birth-control methods (I’m a really disobedient Catholic when it comes to these things - I like to argue. Heck I just got into an argument with a pope that might have killed him). I believe that life begins at conception, so one way to prevent abortions is to allow access to birth control. But I also stated that abortions are sometimes needed to save the life of a mother. I added that moral decisions on unborn children should not override freedom women should have over their own bodies. I said that I pray that all women make the right choices for themselves but concluded that freedom is not just for the men of America.

I also kinda went off on the fact that dead people have more autonomy over their bodies than women. In many places, doctors need direct permission from a last will or from the family to harvest organs TO SAVE OTHER LIVES. So it makes no sense that a woman can’t have an abortion to save a life, yet perfectly useable organs rot and people die because dead people have more control over their organs than women.

My statement on these matters went viral (rotting organs makes for a great news clip I guess). I’m really unpopular with the right wing (I’m being labeled as a baby-killer) but the left loves me. I hate the attention this is getting.

The pope didn’t respond (publicly) because he died a few hours after I made the statement.

I was getting ready for bed when Matt appeared, shirtless, in the bathroom. “So,” he said, “I just got breaking news. Pope Alexander is dead.”

“What?” I gasped. “Seriously?”

He nodded. “You killed him, Helen,” he said, laughing. He was LAUGHING! And I’m the horrible Catholic? “You killed the pope!”

“Oh my Lord,” I groaned. “I feel horrible.” I really do.

“Calm down, my God, the guy was like seven billion years old. No one is going to think you actually caused him to die.” Pope Alexander was actually 88 and had like 3 heart attacks. He hasn’t exactly been the most popular pope, but I hope Matt is right. “But you are going to hell probably.”

“Yeah, but at least I’ll be with my politician husband.”

This morning, my name was, thankfully, never mentioned in the news coverage of his death.

I did however, get a phone-call from Abbey Bartlet, who said (laughing), “How dare you kill the pope! Not even I did anything so scandalous.”

“Oh and covering up your husband’s MS doesn’t count,” I snapped back.

“Hey, nobody died.” She then brought up the funeral. “You have to go, you know.”

“Yes, I know, and you are coming with me.”

The funeral is a week from now and Matt and I will be attending alongside the Bartlets.

H.S.

AN: So, I’m not Jewish, nor am I Catholic (though both my step-dad and my almost-step-mother are), so I probably messed something up. I mean no disrespect. Pope Alexander IX is 100% fictional and not based on anyone.

Also, I know this isn’t my best entry, but I wanted to get this in here because I feel passionately about these things (though I know I’m preaching to the choir), plus I wanted a shorter/“funny” update for my own sanity. Don’t get excited for the funeral - I’m going to do a lot of a time jump with the next update, but the Bartlets do appear again later on.

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] And we know when Margaret isn't happy, nobody's happy! Just the mental image of Margaret and Josh's mom going head to head is great!

Aww... I love the description of their wedding! It's perfect for Josh and Donna!

AHHH!!! :D

I can totally see this being the case! They'd all be having way too much fun tell Josh and Donna stories and would make quite the ruckus!

You'd think Donna would know by now not to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing. :p

I adore Helen arguing with the Pope! :D She's right, dead people do have more rights, sadly. And they are trying to make it worse. :mad:

Ah ha ha... I don't blame him, it is funny! (Well, not funny that someone died, just the timing of it.)

I'm neither Jewish nor Catholic, but what I know of both, I don't see anything wrong with anything you wrote. This was a really fun update! I loved it! There is nothing wrong with a short and fun chapter! :D

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    [quote="mavjade]
    [face_laugh] And we know when Margaret isn't happy, nobody's happy! Just the mental image of Margaret and Josh's mom going head to head is great![/quote]
    Oh the plot bunnies!

Thanks!

I TOTALLY SAW THIS TOO!

Lol, you'd think so.

UGH. I'm so sorry that is happening in the US. I just don't get it. Canada is a bit behind when it comes to organ donation, but the US just makes no sense.

It's pretty funny that she has such bad luck.

Thanks. It was a really fun one to write.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Tag list: mavjade

Editor’s Note:

Here, as the entries go from mid-2008 to mid-2009, I feel it is important to remind readers that due to length constraints, I’ve had to make decisions as to what entries to place into this edition. Since the publishers wished for an more intimate look at occupants and employees of The White House, I have chosen more personal diary entries of Helen Santos and Donna Lyman.

P.S.

Donna Lyman - 03/28/2009 - Entry 11

Today was a very exciting day for me. I feel like working in the White House, whenever there’s unexpected news, it is never good. But today, we got some good news.

I came into work to see the first lady pacing my office - an odd sight since normally she doesn’t normally arrive until about 30 minutes after me.

She stopped as soon as I entered. “Oh thank the Lord one of you is here. I need a personal favour.”

I put my purse down on my office chair. “Anything.” This wasn’t an odd request. She often asks me to get her personal items - things she doesn’t want other aides to get her (typically it is lingerie - it stopped being awkward long ago).

“I need you to run to the nearest pharmacy. Time is a factor.”

I picked my purse back up. “Yes, of course. Are you okay?”

“I need a pregnancy test.”

I gasped. “Are we happy?”

She let out a shaking breath. “I will tell you once I confirm it. Just don’t let anyone see what you have. The president gets back from China this afternoon and he has no idea. I just need to make sure I am vomiting for a good reason. Please hurry, Donna, I have to pee!”

I nodded, then rushed back out and went to the nearest pharmacy and rushed back.

But who should I run into as soon as I entered the White House? Josh.

My stupid husband.

He looked at his cellphone. “My god. Is this how late you normally get to work?”

I rolled my eyes. “No. I had to run an emergency errand.” I tried to pass him, but he wouldn’t let me.

“What’s in the CVS bag?”

I tried to divert him. “God, you are more annoying now that Sam is a congressman. Don’t you have a country to run? Or at least a new deputy to terrorize?”

Josh shrugged. “Veronica is in China with the President, remember? I’ve got nothing much to do until the President gets back.”

“Somehow, I doubt that.” I stuck the bag with the pregnancy test in my purse for good measure.

He started to follow me. “What’s in the bag? Now I’m concerned.”

“You don’t have clearance.”

He laughed. “I have higher clearance than the president in some matters.”

“Yeah, but you don’t have the clearance I have with the first lady.”

He paused for a moment. “Oh. Ohhhh! I don’t want to know.” He then walked away and I hurried to the East Wing. As soon entered the suite, I heard vomiting. I rushed into the bathroom to see the first lady unceremoniously kneeling over the toilet. Annabeth was holding her hair and rubbing her back.

Mrs. Santos rested her head on her arm. “Give me the test. I need to know who I should kill: my husband or the chef.”

I did and Annabeth and I waited outside the closed door. A few minutes later the door opened. The first lady was leaning against the counter. The test was behind her.

“I think’ll vomit again if I look at it.”

“Do you want me to tell you?” I asked.

She closed her eyes and nodded.

I picked up the test. It had a clear pink plus sign. I couldn’t help but smile and show it to Annabeth. “Can I offer congratulations?” I asked.

She let out a breath, but a smile tugged at her lips. “I have no idea how we are going to do this. And if you think I’m bitchy now, wait a few months. But thank you. For everything.”

I understand why the first lady is daunted. But she’s an amazing mother and I, for one, am excited to have a new addition to the East Wing. Plus it will be a great way to get Josh used to being around a baby.

DL

Helen Santos - March 29, 2009 - Entry 11

I am five weeks pregnant and it has already become the biggest headache of my life. I had Peter when Matt was simply a councilman running for Mayor of Huston. I handled that quite well. I had Miranda during Matt’s first year in congress, which was a bit of a challenge, but nothing compared to what I am in for.

Only two other women have ever had babies while first lady: Francis Cleveland and Jackie Kennedy. Sadly, the Kennedy child died, so I really don’t have much to go off of. I have no idea what to expect. And I was finally starting to feel like I could do this job and have a semi-normal family life.

Getting a pregnancy test involved me asking Donna to get it for me. Telling my husband was even harder.

At first, I considered telling him as soon as he got back to the White House, but soon realized he would have about 100 million things to catch up on. But then - of course - the President of the Philippines was actually flying in with Matt, which meant a state dinner.

I actually didn’t see him until he came until he came up to the Residence to get ready. I was actually in our closet, getting dressed.

“Matt?” I called.

He had a grin as soon as he entered. “They didn’t tell me there was half-naked pretty woman waiting for me.” We kissed and hugged. He immediately started to change. “Our welcome home is going to have to wait. Josh sent me up here to quickly change - I have a quick briefing, then I’ll meet you on the staircase the whole ceremonial entrances.”

I nodded and knew my news had to wait. I didn’t want Matt distracted for a briefing, or a state dinner. I then realized I was excited. I was going to be a mommy again and Matt was going to be a father to another child.

I know we haven’t been there every moment of every day for Miranda or for Peter, but they know that they are loved and we won’t be in our public positions forever: another 2, or 6 years.

Besides, this kid inside me now likely won’t remember much of our blunders at parenting here at the White House.

I tied his bowtie and Matt left the Residence unaware. I started to plot out how I was going to tell him. Perhaps a note in his file to read for tonight? Getting Josh to come back for a special briefing?

Unfortunately my plotting was cut short by vomiting. The morning sickness with this kid has just hit me so suddenly and so hard. I managed to put myself together just in time to meet Matt on the staircase.

“Have I had time to tell you how much I have missed you?” he asked.

I put my hands on my hips. “Hon, you haven’t even told me how much you love me.”

“Sorry sweetheart. I’m saving that for tonight.” He tried to kiss my neck but I swatted him. We were joined by President Torres before I could get really mad at Matt.

The majority of dinner went on without a problem. But then my glass of water was taken, replaced by a glass of champaign - probably because I usually demand alcohol to get through stupid state dinners. The toasts began and became my downfall.

Toasts are always my downfall.

I figured I could just pretend to drink the champaign, but just the smell turned my stomach. I didn’t care about appearances - my stomach was not putting up with appearances. I dashed for the nearest bathroom. THANKFULLY I made it and ungracefully emptied my salmon filet into a toilet. It was not a pretty sight.

I was still leaning over the porcelain bowl, head resting on my arm, when there was a knock on the door. Figuring it was my head Secret Service agent - the only one that follows me around in the White House, I simply shouted, “I’m fine, Collin. I’ll be out in a moment.” (Weird how that has grown to be such a normal assumption for me, that Collin would be the first one at my side).

But then the door handle jiggled. I hadn’t locked it in my haste. “Helen?” It was Matt. He opened the door and stuck his head in. “What’s wrong.”

“I’ll tell you after. I don’t want you distracted.” I wiped my mouth and started to get up. Matt immediately rushed into help me.

“Now you are scaring me,” he said, flushing the toilet.

I took a swig of water from the sink.

He closed the lid and sat on the toilet. “I just want to know what is wrong. I’m going to be distracted either way now.”

I looked at him. “I was hoping for a more joyous location than a bathroom, but Mr. President, you are going to be a daddy… again.”

It only took a moment for his face to go from confusion to joy. His face lit up, exactly like the last times I’ve told him. His eyes moved from my face to my stomach.

“We can do mushy later,” I told him. “Right now, let’s see if we can finish this dinner without you blabbing or me barfing.”

So, to my future child reading this right now. Yes, your father was told of your existence in a bathroom at a state-dinner. In retrospect, it could have been worse. Just a few minutes later, he was rushed off to the situation room due to North Korea setting off test missiles.

HS

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... yay!! [face_love]

Good call on Helen's part to get Donna to get the pregnancy test. If the wife of the CoS was seen getting one, no one would think anything of it. But if she asked someone else to get one... yeah that would get out somehow!
    Oh Josh, I was so worried he'd see what it was and yell to the entire White House that he thought Donna was pregnant. And then she'd have to kill him.

:D [face_love]

I adored Helen's note to the baby if they were reading it. Yeah, the bathroom at a state dinner might not be the best place, but I figure most people this day in age find out in a bathroom anyway. At least it was probably a really nice bathroom. :p

I loved this update! So cute!

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    So, I somehow fell ridiculously far behind on this one? I thought I just missed an update - when did that happen? :oops: My apologies!

To make up for lapse, I still have to share some of my favourite moments:

Oh, all the karma was coming back on him. Really, Matt?? o_O

But then, his reasoning made me sad for hear too. And then her even better reasoning came for being so upset - you really upped the emotional ante on this one, and it was perfectly offset by the humor of Josh and Donna being stuck in there to see the showdown.

Then, I LOVE that it lead to another ladies sneaking away with wine episode. Because that was a throwback to the best! [face_laugh]

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

You know, I think that I would actually be disappointed if that wasn't the 'rowdy' table. I can totally see that happening! :p

I literally choked reading that line. That was an amazing build up to the punchline - like, so amazing that I could see it as something Sorkin would have written. Just . . . poor Helen! [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Eh, hell could very well equal the funeral they have to attend, so could we call that penance enough? :p [face_laugh] I loved the banter - as always.

[face_laugh] Oh, Josh. Nope, you don't. [face_laugh]

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this update! No, it's not the *best* timing for a baby, but I love bow quickly she became truly excited over the prospect. It's definitely going to be quite the ride from here on out - and they're certainly off to an interesting start with North Korea on day one. :p

This has been a wonderful story to catch up on, and I look forward to reading more - though, hopefully not in such a chunk as I did this time. :p :oops:

=D==D=

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Honestly, he was going to find out and blurt, but I decided to save that for later on in this diary :p

True.

Thanks.

It's okay! I hope you enjoyed catching up!

Oh, I had so much fun writing that whole sequence and I was totally inspired by that episode!

I think this four would have so much fun (at Josh's and Donna's expense) with a bottle of wine.... HEY! PLOT BUNNY!

Thanks! I could see something like that happening in Sorkin's work too.

Eh, yeah, probably. Thanks!

Poor Josh! He probably went through the entire day in horror wondering what it was.

Thanks. I know it's a bit of a fluffy storyline to have a pregnant First Lady, but it's going to be a funny ride.
    Thanks!

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    A/N: Herpaderp. I suck at remembering to update this. I actually hate writing weddings (thus why this is short), but I just had a vision for the Zoey/Charlie wedding and just had to write it! BECAUSE HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFEEEEE!

Tags: mavjade

Donna Lyman - 06/26/2009 - Entry 12

Today I had the honour or witnessing the marriage of Zoey Bartlet and Charlie Young.

It was simply one of the most happiest events I’ve had the pleasure of witnessing, and I have witnessed two men become leader of the free world. The wedding was at the Bartlet farm in New Hampshire. It was simple, yet beautiful.

Zoey’s two sisters, along with Charlie’s sister, were the bridesmaids. Josh, Sam, and Anthony - the man Charlie mentored as a “Big Brother” - were the groomsmen. Both Josh and Sam were so thrilled to be asked to be groomsmen - it really showed the connections Charlie made with them. Josh said Charlie asked him because he had no other friends. Josh got hit for that comment.

CJ was there - of course - with Danny. I was sad that they had left their daughter home. Toby was there too. Like at my wedding, it really felt like a reunion of sorts. Though it was clear that some of us represented the past, some represented the present, and some represented the future. Charlie and Zoey give me so much hope that our legacy - the legacy made under Bartlet, and the legacy we are making with Santos, will continue long into the future.

It was, of course, great to see Dr. Bartlet again and the former president. They beamed with joy and love, but I could tell that their time in the While House had taken it’s toll on them, particularly the former president’s health.

He and Dr. Bartlet had the honour of walking Charlie down the aisle, but he leaned on the younger man, heavily. They then slowly walked back up the aisle and got Zoey from a grove of trees.

Still, he held his head up high.

DL

Helen Santos - June 26, 2009 - Entry 12

I too had the joy of witnessing the Bartlet-Young wedding. Matt and I were largely there as a formality. We kept near the back, and we simply enjoyed the event as a normal couple. It was kinda nice not being in centre stage for once.

I was fortunate to do a few events with Zoey back on the campaign. She is such a fierce and bold young lady. It was clear she was so happy.

I couldn’t help but wonder about my children. Would Miranda, Peter, and my unborn child (I’m now 4 months along and beginning to show - we just announced it to the public to, not surprisingly, mixed reactions) turn out as well as the Bartlet sisters have?

Will I have to - 20 years from now - make small chat at Miranda’s wedding with the current president. I then realized, this isn’t over in 4, or 8 years. We may fade, but we will alway be known.

And that scares me.

Life changed three years ago, and there is no going back. Not for me at least. I know it won’t be exactly the same for my kids. Still, I feel terrible for putting them though such an abnormal childhood.

But, I look at Matt and all the good he has done, and know it is worth it. Hopefully my children’s sacrifices will be insignificant compared to mine. Zoey and her sisters seemed to have turned out alright.

HS

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... yay! Zoey and Charlie's wedding! [face_love]

I love President and Dr. Bartlet walking Charlie down the aisle, because like you said HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE!!
    That was a beautiful touch.

I also really liked that Josh and Sam were groomsmen. They really did form a little family and I love that Charlie sees it that way.

Helen's part was beautiful too. She's right, it's not over in a few more years, that's a life long affect. Even for the children and it is scary. It was also good for her to see that the Bartlet girls turned out fine being in that spotlight.

Wonderful update! I really enjoyed getting to see the wedding!

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Zoey and Charlie's wedding!! [face_love]

This was a beautiful moment to capture, in of itself, but I really appreciated the theme of legacy as it came up - both with the elder staff looking on the fruits of their labors, so to speak, and Helen wondering about how their time in office will effect their own children. It was a lovely bit of introspection.

But my favourite bit had to be Jed and Abbey walking Charlie down the aisle. It breaks my heart, seeing the MS take its toll, but Jed still has such an incredible amount of power and dignity to his bearing. Especially with his children getting married! [face_love]

(And of course Josh got slapped for his line, honestly, Josh! :p [face_laugh])

This was another fantastic update. =D=

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. I just think the Bartlets really saw Charlie as a son. Charlie certainly put up with A LOT with those two.

Yeah. Plus, I think after working with people for so many hours a day like what happens (at least in the TWW universe), you either learn to love them or hate them. However, even the cast of TWW seems like a family!

Thanks.

Thanks. They were both interesting entries to write.

Yeah. I have two friends with parents who have/had MS. One is no longer with us sadly, but my other friend's father is doing well. But I could see the stress of two terms as president having an impact on anyone's health.

Josh is just useful for his comic relief!

Thank you![/quote]

mavjade likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Tags mavjade

Donna Lyman - 08/24/2009 - Entry 13

Congress is currently out of session for the summer recess, which means life is a bit more slow-paced these days. The first family is spending some quiet time at Camp David, which afforded me some time to go back home to Madison, Wisconsin for two weeks to help prepare for, my brother’s - Dante’s - wedding.

I swear Josh was the only member of the government working, but he did manage to find time to join me for the actual wedding.

It was simply nice to spend some time with my parents and get to know Dante’s love - Emily. It was also just kinda nice to be the brainless help to such an event, instead of organizing some function for the White House. It has actually been my first extended amount of time home in about 10 years - since I started working in the White House.

It was kinda odd being back in the old neighbourhood, but also nice. I grew up the girl no one really thought was going to go anywhere. My grades were decent, but never outstanding. I didn’t have any notable talents. But I was never in trouble. I was just plain, boring Donna. Mrs. Morrello was the only person to really see my potential.

I returned Chief of Staff to the First Lady, married to possibly the second most powerful man in the country.

I made something of myself.

Of course that didn’t stop my mother from complaining about how much I work, or my dad complaining about how little he knows Josh.

Dario was actually the one to come to my defense. Dario works as a conservation officer, and understands what the Santos administration is trying to do for the protection of the environment. One evening, as we were making centrepieces for the reception, my dad was going on about how he had wanted to take Josh fishing with my brothers for Dante’s “last days” as a single man. It was honestly getting on my nerves, when Dario spoke up, “I’m pretty sure Josh has better things to do than catch fish - like try to save them.”

When Josh finally did make it - the day before the wedding - my dad kept his mouth shut… at least until after the wedding.

The wedding itself was beautiful. It went off without any issue.

However, the day after the wedding was when things got heated.

Now, I understand my father’s desire to get to know Josh better - with the exception of four days last Christmas, my family really doesn’t know Josh. Apparently Dante and Emily are around every weekend for dinner. I’m not blind to the differences.

So it was understandable that, as we were cleaning up the hall the morning after the reception, my dad was trying to have a conversation with Josh - except that Josh’s Blackberry kept going off, which meant he had to step out with his secret service agent.

Of course, Josh isn’t allowed to talk about what was pulling him away. I’m used to it, but I could see it was annoying my dad.

Finally, things exploded at dinner. It was going to be our only dinner as a family: my parents, Dante and Emily (who were leaving the next morning for their honeymoon), Dario, Josh (who was also leaving in the morning) and I.

See, my dad hates it whenever people answer their phone during family meals. A Blackberry started to ring and my dad, normally a very collected man, threw down his fork. “Josh, I’ve had it with that phone. You are obviously dealing with something that needs your full attention.”

I awkwardly got up. “Sorry it’s mine.” I hurried outside to the back patio to answer it.

When I was finished, Josh was waiting at the door. “Anything serious?”

I rubbed my temple. “That was Bram calling because the President asked him to. The First Lady has been having really bad Braxton Hicks contractions throughout today. She’s claiming it is from stress from the idea of having to go back to the White House soon and the upcoming trip to the UK, so she’s refusing to let a doctor come see her. The President just wanted me to know, incase something does happen, I can get Annabeth to make an informed statement.”

Josh rubbed my back. I wasn’t stressed, I was simply worried about my friend and her unborn child. “Sorry about my dad,” I then said.

Josh shrugged. “They’ve never really been exposed to our world. I know my job isn’t exactly conducive to a healthy marriage, or a healthy relationship with the in-laws.”

I gave him a look. “I knew what I was getting into when we got married. Besides, I think we are doing pretty well for a power-couple.”

“You only have the Bartlets and the Santoses for comparison.”

“Yes, and I think we have them both beat.” I kissed him. “Because I knew what I was getting myself into.”

We made our way back in for supper. I know my parents and my brothers do not completely understand my life with Josh - I know it might seem like he has priorities over our relationship, but I know he’d drop everything and cross an ocean for me. But I’d never ask him to, because he helps so many people in this world. I just hope my family gets that I love this man.

D. L.

Helen Santos - August 30, 2009 - Entry 13

So I guess I should explain the call Donna got a bit further. I’m currently a full 6 months and this pregnancy is the bane of my existence, and I say that as a woman who has had to throw dinner parties for politicians. First, the morning sickness was horrible. Thankfully that has subsided, but now this child has grown to a massive size. I swear, compared to Peter and Miranda - both of who were on the heavier side of average - this child is going to be massive. While the world bets on what gender this kid will be (I’m not kidding, states have pools running - all of the west thinks it will be a girl, while Texas and the south thinks it will be a boy), Matt and I are just wondering how much this kid will weigh. My doctors are already leaning towards a scheduled cesarean (which Matt, Josh, and the rest of the West Wing like the idea of - sad how even my bodily functions are now regulated). Though I don’t want to go through the recovery time of an operation if I don’t have to.

However, despite my personal discomfort and minor annoyances, the baby and I are healthy. There have been no real scares, with the exception of that evening (and, really, it was only Matt freaking out).

Matt, the kids, and I spent Matt’s “vacation” at Camp David. Yes, we knew we could go almost anywhere, but going to Camp David is simply so easy - it means less time planning and more time relaxing. Besides, we all really enjoy the place. The kids can go swimming, canoeing, practice archery and a bunch of other things, all with their father - without worrying about the Secret Service. I have a sewing room set up where I was making a quilt and some receiving blankets for the baby. Plus both Matt’s and my families can visit without a huge hassle. Of course we all sat down as a family to watch movies, and Matt and I got plenty of time to simply sit and read in the sunshine. It is times like these that make me able to handle the rest of this life. Which included that day that Donna got that phone-call.

It started in the morning with Matt’s daily intelligence briefing, only this time, when Matt got out of it, he came and pulled me away from making breakfast with Peter and sat with me on the back porch. At first, I sighed. “You have to go back to Washington, don’t you? I’m not mad. I’m honestly surprised we had almost our entire vacation together.”

“No, I don’t have to go back yet, though I might be pulled away for a few more briefings today - there’s a trade deal going on in South America with Brazil - but something came up that you should be aware of. Trevor Sevoya is out on parole.”

Though I hadn’t heard - or said - that name in years, the news came as no real surprise to me. Sevoya was the scum that tried to sexually assault me, and succeeded in terrorizing other women, nearly 20 years ago. I knew his sentence was nearly over. My heart tightened, but I merely nodded.

If the past few years has taught me anything, it is how to lie, how to appear unaffected. I hold little governing power, but I am a politician.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

I wasn’t, but I covered it up by standing up. “It was twenty years ago. He has no affect over my life.” I don’t know who I was trying to convince, Matt or myself.

As I was walking away, I had my first Braxton Hicks contraction of the day. That one wasn’t bad, so I could ignore it.

It was extremely hot that day (which probably contributed to my issues) so Miranda and Peter spent much of the day swimming. Peter just turned 14 and Miranda is now 8, which means I can leave them to fend for themselves and not worry too much. Matt was fairly preoccupied with the whole trade deal thing, which meant I was alone most of the day, which I am thankful for - sometimes there are just too many people around. I love my kids and my husband, but I had several Braxton Hicks contractions throughout the day. A few were quite painful, but none came at regular intervals, so I knew it was just from the stress and nothing to be worried about and I’m glad the kids and Matt weren’t around to worry about me most of the day.

However, when I was cleaning up from dinner and Matt was helping me (the kids had finished their chore of clearing the table) a pretty strong one hit me. I couldn’t help but lean on the counter and groan in pain.

“Helen?” Matt came to my side, but I brushed him off.

“I’m fine. Cramps,” I explained.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, that one just hit me hard.”

That one? Helen, have you been having contractions?”

“Just Braxton Hicks. They haven’t been regular. It’s nothing to worry about.”

A very repetitive disagreement ensued. Matt wanted to call a doctor, I didn’t feel like one was needed. In the end, we agreed that he was going to join me in a cool bath (we were both so warm) and then we were going to bed. If I had any more issues, I would let a doctor see me. What he didn’t tell me was that he had his body-man, Bram, inform Donna. I could have killed him.

We made it to bed with no further points of stress.

However, early that morning, I woke up from a dream having a full scale panic attack.

Back before Matt and I got married, I used to have really bad nightmares about that day when I was attacked in my dorm room and would often wake up in the middle of a panic attack. In these dreams, my attacker was chocking me and I can’t breathe or fight back

I guess marrying Matt and knowing my attacker was in prison made these dreams stop. But I think the news that my attacker was a free man, combined with the heat, the stress of returning to Washington, and the fact that I have a child who likes to bounce against my internal organs - including my lungs - in the middle of the night, all brought on the panic attack.

I woke up unable to get a full breath. I began sucking in air in rapid succession. The only thought that ran though my mind was that I couldn’t wake Matt. I tried to get out of our bedroom, but my husband is an unbearably light sleeper. I made it to the end of the bed before I heard, “Helen?”

I sat on the edge of the bed and tried to will myself to be okay.

Matt tapped on the light. “Len? What’s wrong?”

My only reply was my gasps for air.

“I’m going to get help.”

I managed to get out a, “No.” I did not want more people in the room.

“Helen, you are not okay.”

Commander-in-Chef Freakin’ Obvious.

I could feel the baby moving around - almost deliberately kicking me. So I felt comfortable in saying, “Baby is okay.”

“Okay,” he said, kneeling down if front of me. “Are you having a panic attack?”

I nodded. It had been years since I’ve had a panic attack in front of Matt - I’ve gotten good at hiding them from him. Still, he knew what to do. He had me lean forward and he simply rubbed my back while counting his breaths until I was able to join his rhythm. He also made me drink some water to calm me down.

For just a few minutes, he was entirely mine.

“You want to talk about it?” he asked.

I shook my head. I didn’t want to bring Trevor Sevoya back into my life. He doesn’t deserve to take up precious time between Matt and I.

But, still, Matt knew that was what brought on the panic attack. Matt might sell our house because he has his mind on a million things, but he still knows me intimately. He held me in his arms. “You’re safe. You are my wife and I’m not going to let anything happen to you or the kids. Just remember, I have the Secret Service and the 82nd Airborne at my disposal.”

At this, I laughed.

HS

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I ADORE this update! [face_love]

I loved how Donna was thinking about how different she is now from when she left. She more than made it in life, she grabbed it and took it for all she could! :D I also loved the nod to Mrs. Morrello, I loved that episode and when President Bartlet calls her, it makes me cry every time.

I also really liked Dario coming to Josh's defence, this line was fantastic!

Hahah... love it!

But what I really loved is how Josh seemed to deal with Donna's dad, that Josh knows her dad just doesn't understand. We of course did see how he actually reacted, so I may just be reading into it, from what he said to Donna, I thought he might have just let it go.

THIS. This is everything!!
    She's right, more than the Santoses and the Bartlets, she knew exactly what she was getting with Josh, and she was okay with that. And yes, she knows he'd drop everything and go half way around the world for her because he's already done it.

I really enjoyed the fun, light atmosphere Helen was telling us about, even with the braxton hicks, because she didn't seem to concerned about them. She's done this before and she knows what's up. Though I did have to laugh at her line about how Josh and Matt were excited about a scheduled C-Section. *shakes head* Poor woman. (Though I understand why they would be.)

But the parts about the man who attacked her and the nightmares about it were very powerful. Even though she's telling us about this after the fact, I can see her worry and fear coming through, and it was quite emotional to read. Having your husband control one of the biggest militaries in the world can only help, though! I love that Matt brought that up.

=D= Fantastic update! I look forward to more!

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks.

I've always seen Donna as the girl who no one saw as remarkable, until Josh saw her.

Yeah. I think Josh, for all his faults, knows what battles to fight (sometimes).

This is really the diary of the woman who knew what she was getting into and the woman who ended up somewhere she'd never thought she would be. Donna has the confidence that Josh loves her, even if she can't be his top priority all the time.

For all her unsurities (is that a word? It is now) in her appearances on the show, Helen always seemed to me to be a very competent mother above all. This is one thing in her life that she knows how to do.

Something like that just doesn't go away. As humorous as I wanted this diary to be, moments of realism has slipped in.

I just had to put that Bartlet quote in there ;)