main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The West Wing] The Other Side (ANGST POETRY)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Briannakin , Feb 24, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Title: The Other Side
    Author: Briannakin
    Fandom: The West Wing
    Timeframe: Post-season 7 (During Seaborn Presidency)
    Characters: Charlie Young (mentions of others and OCs)

Notes: FIRST OFF I AM SO SORRY (not really). I had a really stressful/emotionally intense week and during that time I just needed to pour my emotions out onto something tangible to keep myself sane (thankfully, things are better). ALSO, I’ve recently become obsessed with Hamilton and it put me a mood for a tragedy and to try some “poetry” (it isn't that good). I know I’ve written Charlie’s death but I just wanted to write an extended version of it. Some lines (and the title) are taken from the Hamilton track “The World Was Wide Enough”. I’m pretty sure this is somehow all Mav’s fault.

I imagine death so much it feels like a memory.

The sound.
    The gunshot.
    So familiar, though I’ve never been on a battleground.
    There is a second and third shot.

Or is that just my memory? I’ve imagined this scenario so many times.
    I’ve replayed it in my mind.

Somehow I know. I’ve always know. I see it, on my feet. The scene plays out the same way my imagination, in my memories. The Secret Service forcing Sam Seaborn down. No longer in jeopardy. Into a waiting car. Out of the rain. Out of the chaos. Out of Hell.

The president will survive this day.
    The president will live to see the end of his term.
    His wife and children will not fray.

President Seaborn lives!

Only then do I look down. I can do that now.
    The same can not be said for his Chief of Staff. I can almost laugh.

The pain? There’s pain? Should there be pain?

Did mom feel pain in her final moments? I now know.

But there is blood. And rain. And sweat. And tears. But the blood consumes all fears.

The harsh pavement welcomes my body. But it is not me. My mind is towards the open heavens.

I catch a glimpse of the other side.

Leo McGarry looks so… proud on the other side.
    My mother is on the other side.
    She’s crying on the other side.
    Don’t cry mom.
    Josiah Bartlet is watching from the other side.

I was never meant to be President Seaborn’s right hand man. I took over for his best friend, to give Josh a break. Though it was always the plan. To finally rise up and not throw away the shot.

To be in the spot.

To finally take the bullet. There is no way I couldn’t.

Josh is going to have to come back to work. Donna is going to be berserk.

I am picked up. The president is refusing to leave without me. My body is taken from the rain. Though I have already made my plea.

Zoey. Forgive me.
    I did not kiss you this morning.
    But do not waste too much time on mourning.
    Do not hate, do not be caught in the throws.
    Live for Josie, for Jed, for Jethro.

My love, take your time.
    I will wait, on the other side.

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

I'll take it!! Especially if it gets us Hamilton inspired West Wing!

Oh no.. I'm already tearing up. That line guts me so much.

*reads*

[​IMG]

I'm not crying... someone's cutting onions. I'm not, you can't prove it.
    I'm totally crying. This may not be an entirely coherent series of comments.

Chills. I literally got chills.
    Oh man, thinking about his mom and knowing for sure what she felt. That killed me. And "blood consumes all fears"... guh.

And this is where I start sobbing. All the people he's loved who have died waiting for him kills me and I'm so glad you used that theme from Hamilton here. It really packs a punch.

Then him thinking about Josh and Donna and Sam. This is so Charlie, always thinking of other people first, even to the last.

And the part to Zoey... =((:_|
    Bringing us back to Outrun the Gun when he's thinking about how he didn't kiss her that morning. It's so full of regret and sorrow. I love how he pleads with her to not let it consume her and to live for their children.

Okay, I'm going to go sit in a corner and cry some more now.

[​IMG]

I love how you weaved the themes of the song from Hamilton, but made it completely West Wing. Also, mad poem writing skills!
    Beautiful job! =D=@};-

Briannakin likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, before I get into just how entirely my soul was ripped open while reading this: HAMILTON!! [face_dancing][face_love] You are on the bandwagon too??? It's so good to see you here, and I hope that you enjoy your time drowning in the mess of despair and joy that is Lin-Manuel Miranda's masterpiece. You'll never be the same again. [face_mischief] ;)

Now, that said, I really enjoyed - well, perhaps enjoy is the wrong word, but I certainly appreciated - the tone and feel of this. The flow beautifully captures what I can imagine being a dying man's thoughts, and Charlie. Oh, but Charlie. Every word of that hurt, I'm not going to lie. I especially love how you wove in the themes and melodies from Hamilton. It really added an extra punch, and it helped me 'hear' your prose better in my head as I read. =D=

Then, particular parts that struck me:

Ack, you know what you did there and it HURT. :_| :_|

To end his thoughts with Zoey was perfect, in its own horrible way. Very fitting; very Charlie, down to the end. [face_love] :( My heartstrings are sore, but I'm glad to have read this. Really: well done! =D=