main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

???The What If Club - (Check Out Our Grand Re-Opening Sale)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by slobadog, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Heres a book you guys may be interested in. Its called "What If". Its a collection of essays by military historians and such about alternative military history. Its one of my inspirations for this club. You can get it in the general military history section of most regular book stores. I highly recommend it.

2. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    What if the cloaked Imperial Star Destroyers that were in orbit around the Bothan Homeworld were never discovered.

3. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    bye bye Bothans, :D

and can we say civil war, not good, not good at all

What if Anakin fired Centerpoint??

4. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    How do you think the civil war would have went matey? If the Pro Bothan forces won the first battle then the bothans migh not go by by.

5. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    but no one would have won the first battle, the star destroyers would have wiped out everyone after the battle was nearly or actually over, then layed bothanwi to waste

6. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    Why lay bothuwai to waste. The anti bothan facion would have good reason to try to give up the civil war if the bothans seemingly got 'just what they deserved.' Would the empire want that.

7. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    maybe not lay waste, but they would give it a small pouding, at the least

8. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    Come on guys. Remember this thread needs senate membership! The voice of "What Ifers must be heard!

9. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I definitely think the Empire would have destroyed Bothawui if it already had the Star Destroyers in orbit. The Empire has never struck me as very open to alien species... ;) And I know the Bothans have that big special military school, but besides Kre'fey I've never been struck by the Bothan military effort.

Yeah, they'd be crushed, if not for finding the secrets about the Death Star, then because they're so often annoying.

Did anyone ever wonder if the Bothans should really be hoisted on shoulders for finding the plans to the Death Star? I mean, Palpatine meant for them to find them... they're gulliable pawns, not big hoity toity spies... ;)

And didn't they already explore the idea of cloaking Star Destroyers in the EU? I think it was the Black Fleet Crisis... in which case it really shouldn't count. ;)

10. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    I've changed my mind. It would benifit the empire more if they destroyed bothuwai becuase if they make it look like the anti bothan faction's fault then the other side will be wanting their heads.

But who would win the civil war?

Would the Empire become openly involved?

"Thank you. Just take this 10 credits tip."

*Takes huge stack of Papa John's Pizzas off the poor delivery guy and stumbles them onto the big black table.*

11. The_Rebel_Newbie

The_Rebel_Newbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Yo whats up!

Anti Bothan faction to win for sure.
    Borsk Dies maybe?

12. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    ::laughs:: New heading. Very nice.

Now I'm hungry.

Dang...

What if it hadn't been Bothan spies that had secured the Death Star plans? Borsk always seems to bring it up, as if to validate the high standing Bothans should receive in the New Republic. If he didn't have that clout to hold over the other senators' heads, would he continue to hold as much power as he does?

Because, really, what else have Bothans done besides getting those plans?

13. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    Helped blew up Caamas.

Hey I actually have free Pizza!

14. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Nah he'd just be like that sullustan one.

15. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    What was he like?

16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Well, I couldn't think of a better way to have Borsk die in SbS than to have him trigger the destruction of the Imperial Palace. He was kind of out-of-character for the whole book, though. He should have stayed greedy until the end, and then repented when, as the Yuuzhan Vong march toward his office, how his greed has damned the galaxy. He was sort of valiant, actually.

17. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I didn't really like the sudden character change at the end. It's hard when you don't like a character for so long, and everything is stable, and then the character throws in a bit of nobility and dies tragically... it's like a wrench being thrown into my SW paradigm. I don't want to like Borsk, but the author was trying to make me like him in those last few moments. Like Boromir. ::shrugs::

I would have liked to see a death similar to the one alpha_red described, where Borsk would have realized so much of this was his fault and died at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong for his mistakes. I know that's cruel, but with all the crap he pulled in his career, he deserves to see the fruits of his labor in such a way. Going out a martyr just seems too high for him.

18. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Actually, by the word "repent" I mean do exactly what he did--be a martyr. How can anyone demonstrate any greater level of repentance? It reminds me of the robbers on Jesus' side during the Crucifixion. One of them repented of his sins, and Jesus said to him "Today, you will be with Me in Paradise."

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Well DR is a big bunch of morons so blame them!

20. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    What if that borsk did try a coup way back?!

21. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    he did kinda, during the Thrawn triology

22. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    Not really. No one knew what he was doing. they just had suspisons.

23. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    they caught him trying to have Ackbar framed and made to look like a traitor

24. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Yeah. He was so ignorant he didn't even realize that what he was doing very nearly doomed the Republic.

What would have happened if Kyle Katarn had gotten killed on his mission to swipe the Death Star plans from Danuta

AND

Bria Tharen had failed on her plan-swiping mission as well. Of course, she did get killed, but a copy of the plans still got through because of her sacrifice. The Alliance organized multiple plans to capture the plans for the original Death Star.

Furthermore, what if Keyan Farlander had failed to adequately defend the Tantive IV while the plans were being sent to it?

There are a lot of links in this chain.

25. slobadog

Aug 28, 2002
    The empire might not have won in the end. With out getting the death star plans luke's han's and leia's adventure never exists and thus the Falcon never gets tracked to Yavin. The rebels would have plenty of time to try more death star plan abscounding attempts and to think up alternative strategies for defeating the death star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.