main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Whills (the original sequel trilogy plot revealed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  2. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Where there's a Whill there a way.

Oh, you.

Supreme Leader Woke and BobaMatt like this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Lucas keeps changing his mind about what the story from beginning to end was. Originally, the story from beginning to end was Luke finding his not-Leia sister, then confronting the Emperor in the ST, which was compressed into ROTJ.

Circa 2005, Lucas said the beginning to end was Vader's life, and thus there was no more story.

Now, he's saying there's still some other end in his treatments. That whole 'Chosen One' business was actually unnecessary in the prequels. I have a feeling it tied into Lucas' Whills concept, and then he left it hanging.

I don't think the Chosen One prophecy, in Lucas' head, has anything to do with who does or doesn't call themselves Sith, but more with this untold Whill story.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean differences about how the ST went aside i feel like no matter what SOME faction would not have been happy. That's sorta the problem as well with having long breaks in-between trilogy (EU not withstanding)

Though now i wonder what discourse was during the time the Thrawn Trilogy was being released, I mean now people see those three as classics but I wonder what it was like back then in the 90's.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I recall Lucas saying that before he came up with "The Force", his initial concept was that the Whills whispered in the ears of the Jedi Bendu.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I know this is mentioned before but I'll re-iterate it .

Didn't like the last of the EU books do the whole Force Gods before with Abeloth and the Celestials.....and if I recall, I know a lot of people weren't happy about that stuff. So in a strange way, the old EU was doing more the George thing here if we try to make a comparisons.

7. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Part of me would have loved to see the craziness of a GL-directed ST involving Whills using people as cars. But the rest of me knows that it would have been absolutely terrible, and furthermore that GL is a Boomer Campbell-ite Science Buddhist Methodist who changes his mind on what Star Wars is all about about five times a day.

Anyway, this makes me like TLJ more.

Dr. Steve Brule, BigAl6ft6 and mnjedi like this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And that stuff was taken directly from Lucas' own Mortis arc.

Also, everyone is assuming that Jedi Purge 2.0 was always the plan because Lucas' outlines had no NJO. But Lucas himself says he doesn't like the ST's retreads, he said in interviews he wanted to do new things--I'm positive now Jedi Purge 2.0 was not from Lucas but from Disney.

So why did Lucas have no new Jedi? I feel it ties very strongly with this Whills story.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Do people really want to see Lucas return? He'd be making movies purposely ticking off the fan instead of the current ones which just accidentally tick them off.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Part of Lucas's appeal is that he does what's right, not what's popular.

Dagobahsystem, revan772, B3 and 2 others like this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Current producers: Joker, ticking off the heroes without rhyme or reason.
    Lucas: Magneto, ticking off the heroes due to some calculating plan.

I'll take Magneto.

revan772 and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's why i think it would have been the best if George delivered the ideas and others should have worked on the scripts and directed the movies, similar to when ESB was made.

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I wouldn't say he does what's "right". After all, Lucas tells us that good is a point of view. I would amend it to "Lucas does what he wants, not what is popular." But when you have Lucas' money, you can afford to do whatever you want.
    Say what you want about Disney but Lucas would do just as good a job burning down the fandom as people think Disney is now.

14. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Stuff like this is pretty dangerous. Its easy to take the barest of ideas and imagine the very best coming from it. You might like where Lucas's line of thinking could potentially lead, but there's no way to tell how it would have all played out. It could very well have been absolute trash regardless of how good the ideas were.

On the other hand, its also easy to dismiss this idea out of hand and presume the worst as well. It might have been that if Lucas had chosen to follow through with his ideas here it would have tied everything together in a way that was very satisfying.

Ultimately, I think its kind of interesting, but ultimately inconsequential with how things are now. I would also like to point out to all present that this isn't something Lucas was forced to abandon. He didn't need anyone's permission to make these movies; nobody stopped him. For better or worse, he chose to sell to Disney and let them lead the ship.

sidv88 likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What's right?

No. Lucas just does what he wants to. And that's fine. But because Lucas wants to do it doesn't make it right.

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah Lucas didn't have to sell. He ultimately could have had another director take over using this treatment under LFL direction. But he did what he did.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, George, we get it, there is always a bigger fish. Its called a food chain and you did not create it or discover it. [face_coffee]

If his first movie was made, we'd all be making fun it today more than the TFA, cause it sounds like Osmosis Jones or something really crap. People savaged the hell out've the midiclorians cause they were such stupid and illconceived concept, we'd be lost. Sounds like Lucas lost himself to green fundamentalism, and/ or he was piggybacking off of Cameron's Avatar's deep ecology propaganda by the time he was brainstorming for the ST .

I don't understand how that would fit into his "Planet of the Midiclorians" introduced on TCW and the Mortis Gods also introduced on TCW. The only thing really known about Lucas's early Whill concept was that it was an immortal being that watched over the people and events in the Star Wars universe and basically chronicled it. That concept was retained or rebooted in the new Canon to some extent, to where its a collection of chroniclers writng down on quills or something. Lucas's early concept for ROTS had a Shamen of the Whill, that Jinn referred to which basically turned out to be the so-called "Force Priestess(es)" from TCW.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Shortly before this interview surfaced, I speculated that a malevolent being or beings infected lifeforms with midichlorians with the intention of corrupting them, hence the dark side being so tempting.

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I cant, for the life of me, see where anyone is getting a Malevolent Whills reading from what GL said. Seems folks are just creeped out by it. The idea that there are these beings controlling everything isnt exactly groundbreaking, and i dont read the "microbiome" stuff as being the Whills, but midichlorians.

Truthfully, it reads like a bunch of nonsense in light of the Mortis and Force Planet stuff from TCW.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

B3 and BobaMatt like this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well I think if these quotes were fake, George would have said something by now. They're from a published book I believe?

Microbiotic could just be a metaphor, he might not really have had characters in the ST poring over microscopes looking at midichlorians.

Even if the Whills aren't malevolent, the heroes could end up fighting them if they feel the Whills violate their "freedom". If you read Isaac Asimov's Second Foundation, (Trantor was probably an influence for Coruscant) the Foundation hunts down the Second Foundation and are literally giddy with joy when they feel they have defeated all Second Foundationers, even though the Second Foundation were very much NOT the bad guys and were founded by Hari Seldon, the founder of the Foundation, himself.

21. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I don't know? Could be good? Could be not? I'd rather a good story, not universe-changing elements. We're getting neither anyway (unless Ep9 manages to salvage an entire trilogy, somehow), and especially not this since Disney threw away Lucas' original notes. For better or worse, whatever we're getting isn't even close.

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    They could! But like there's no use arguing about it because there's no indication either way in Lucas' statement.

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What i mean by nonsense is that George seems to be kind of riffing and forgetting the Force lore he'd already established with Mortis and the Force Planet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Quoting the Article:

In the book Lucas says…

"The next three Star Wars films were going to get into a micro biotic world. But there's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.

[​IMG]

Of course, this is the latest version of The Whills according to George. The first published version is found in the opening to the ANH novelization.

He failed to define The Whills and the Journal of the Whills during his 35 years of ownership post-ANH release. As a result, the fans have been left putting together scraps and trying to understand what he intended. He found a way to string people along without truly committing to defining The Whills and the Journal of the Whills in the saga films. And now he offers this new tantalizing angle of what could have been. And it's the fans' fault for not being nice to him in chat boards 15 years ago.

YorksEisleyian likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I like this take on it, how the Sequel Trilogy kept the same theme but substituted the Jedi Books for the Whills

https://io9.gizmodo.com/george-lucas-ideas-for-his-own-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-1826798496/amp

Also, we already know a lot of the familiar would still be in the ST, as it was Lucas's idea that a depressed Luke be in hiding in the First Jedi Temple planet and how "Kira"/Rey would help him rediscover meaning in life, but "Kira"/Rey would be a teenager and there'd be a few more Jedi abroad including 2 of Han and Leia's teenage kids (neither "Kira"/Rey).