main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Whills (the original sequel trilogy plot revealed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Jun 13, 2018.

1. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Well it's definitely more . . . interesting than the derivative Sequel films we've got. ****ing weird though and I bet people would have hated it.

fett 4 likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    George would have chickened out from this new microbial life controlling the universe point of view. This story probably worked for the James Cameron Sci Fi book, allowing George to spread his wings and thumb his nose at "everyone." But as soon as GL would sit down with licensing people, it would be pushed back.

The idea he speaks about has already failed. Does this latest microbial world idea deserve an entire trilogy to develop? Would George allow the microbes to have dialogue? How? Why? If GL had the confidence of Lucasfilm, they could incorporate it into something. But who needs an entire trilogy to explain how microbes control destiny?

I'm moving on from this one.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I don’t even know how this could be done. It’d either be groundbreaking or a complete disaster.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Now that i think about it, It could be that Disney hasn't abandoned George's Whill concept. Perhaps the Guardians of the Whills talking about the Force of Others is a hint for it being canon and not just a reference to the first drafts of the ANH script.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Given that Dark Empire was based in part on original story ideas perhaps then the role that Palpatine played would have been fulfilled by the Whills. He fed off the life force of the population of Byss for example.

fett 4 likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I cant imagine George would decide to unravel his entire mythos by making the Whills, who he says essentially *are* the Force, some sort of malevolent entity. That's not at all in the spirit of his intent for Star Wars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Dark Empire's "original story idea" from George was just "You can't bring Vader back. Use Palpatine."

9. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Didn't GL add something else along the lines of "Let's make a statement about cloning getting out of control."

His microbe agenda was pushed aside.

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't get the impression that the Whills are the microbiotic beings, just that they are creatures that feed on the Force. What better way to explain the HOW of that than to bring back the midichlorians, which are the microbiotic aspect.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    While the Whills themselves may not be malevolent, if they do control the Force which in turn controls everything, we again run into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil .

Besides, who are the closest analogues to Whills in reality? The ones who control EVERYTHING in the Star Wars universe? George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, etc. They certainly are not malevolent. But, they do feed on the Force (income from Star Wars movies) and the conflict arising from the Force (the latest movie where millions of people are killed, planets blown up, etc.) so they can get paid from the entertainment it provides viewers.

And this isn't malevolent, because from our point of view the Star Wars characters aren't real. If the Whills are so distantly removed from anything in the Star Wars universe, their feeding on the conflict generated by the Force isn't malevolent to them because to the Whills, the Star Wars galaxy isn't "real"--the Whills are so far above the inhabitants of that galaxy it would be like humans worrying themselves about amoebas.

Even if the humans aren't malevolent, all the reckless suffering caused by them to amoebas is something the amoebas, if they learned the truth, may get angry about.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They ripped up his rough drafts and decided to do a rehash, so I think it's unlikely

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Indeed. And, as I think you've already alluded to, it's always worth keeping in mind that Lucas' casual "stream of consciousness" riffing on Star Wars has never accurately reflected what is actually going on.

I recall he once talked about how Darth Vader, as the Chosen One, "destroyed all evil in the universe forever". That wasn't ever really the case, even when he was in charge.

Didn't stop certain people from taking it as gospel, of course.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I just like the idea of GL having a "microbe agenda."

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Did he say that, I thought he'd said it was the closest to his idea for a sequel [face_thinking]

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    More SJW crap (joke).

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Whatever the Whills are *could* play into the resolution of 9. Doubt it. Because, unlike George, i dont think the Story Group has even a vague idea of an overarching theme for the ST in mind. They are basically trusting filmmakers to wing it... and, as much as was hashed out as he went along, George did have a vague concept of his larger themes for the OT.

I used to the the SG had some grander scheme in mind that they were peppering the tv, comic and novel media with. Definitely dont think so now, but would love if they did. Work the Ones and the Whills into the resolution somehow.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    EPISODE IX: TRIUMPH OF THE WHILLS

(ruh oh)

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    And now i have the Dead Kennedys in my head.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Star Wars Episode 9: Attack of the Whills

Snoke was a Whill trying to evolve Force users to a higher level (Ben, Rey, etc.) However, now that Kylo killed Snoke, the other Whills in a rage invade the galaxy and wipe out the First Order. Kylo was just getting comfortable on his throne when he suddenly had to deal with a full fledged Whill invasion. (They fly out of the Maw black hole, once again emphasizing continuity with other movies)

We have a 2 hour movie of Whills killing stormtroopers, Knights of Ren, and eventually Kylo himself while Kylo begs for Rey and the Resistance to help him. Rey, Finn, and Poe sit back, watch and eat popcorn, and do absolutely nothing while the Whills do all their work for them. Then the Whills go home and give Rey a new lightsaber. The saga is concluded.

JJ and the rest of the cast and crew should do this just to see if they can get away with it. ;)

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Basically this. I loved Episodes 1-6, but I would take Disney Star Wars Over this any day.

CT1138 likes this.
  22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I would have loved this. This is the kind of stuff I dig in Star Wars. To make this clear, I was not a huge fan of 8 or RO mostly because of all the death in it, but I do not hate them. (I loved Solo and liked 7 though, and really love TPM.)

But all in all, this sounds like a fun idea that I would love to see. I cannot even imagine what is going on in GL head, but I would love to see it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    We need to drum up interest in this Whill plotline so LFL knows we'll pay to see it. Get someone like Luceno to work this into the old Legends EU after Crucible into a novel or comic book, and suddenly large portions of the fanbase will be appeased without any disruption to Disney's current movies.

24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Whills and the problem of evil: Whills are the Ainur, the Ones are Valar. One of the most powerful Whills(Bogan, let's say) = Melkor the Morgoth.

Okay, this is my canon now.

25. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    This a good point. It adds clarity. I was a fan of GL introducing midichlorians in Phantom Menace.

26. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No. WAY back when ROTJ was supposed to end with Luke confronting Vader alone and then 3 movies afterward would feature Luke searching for his long lost sister who was not Leia. It would end with Luke confronting Palpatine, possibly falling to the Dark Side along the way. Instead due to his personal life Lucas wrapped up ROTJ the way he did and years later Dark Empire would borrow from all of that. All I'm saying is that the Whills would have been able to fit the role Palpatine did in DE.