main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Whills (the original sequel trilogy plot revealed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In the new canon, what the Whills are, exactly, has not been touched upon. In-universe, though, with that particular faction being called the Guardians of the Whills, shows that at least someone, sometime (probably the Guardians' founder) knew what the Whills were. I don't think the very little we know of the Whills in the new canon necessarily contradicts this idea by Lucas. And "May the Force of Others" sounds like it could be barking up Lucas' alley, I think.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth Caliban like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You would expect so, given where "the Force of Others" originates.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  3. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    From reading the interview, it is unclear to me whether Lucas is saying that the Whills are also microbial organisms. He brings up the microbiome and the midi-chlorians to touch on the subject of symbiosis within ecosystems, which is what TPM had already explored. But how do the Whills fit in here?

I posted in the ST Development thread how the new canon has the cosmic Force in the role that, seemingly, Lucas had in mind for the Whills. So does it refer to personalities that are alive within the cosmic Force and controlling it? This seems to relate to beings like the Mortis gods or deceased individuals who survive in the Force, like the priestesses and the Jedi ghosts. Is that what is referenced as the Whills? Or is it pre-existing intelligences within the Force, its “will”?

The most intriguing idea, and what immediately seemed to be the case when I first read the interview, was that the Whills were another type of being existing on a micro scale. But does it make sense to have not one but two races that are inside all people? That does fit with the “vehicles” comment. But I still find it odd to have both.

Perhaps the midi-chlorians are the medium though which the Whills “control” physical beings? I don’t know. It is worth mentioning that in a previous interview GL expressed his idea that all midi-chlorians are connected, and are thus one extended “individual” rather than many tiny intelligences. That might relate to the Whills or it might not. But it does clarify how the harmful activities of dark siders could affect things on a cosmic level; even though beings are far apart, they’re connected.

whostheBossk and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. I Love Star Wars 94

I Love Star Wars 94 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2017
    With the the Star Wars Archives having more on the Whills I do think this was GL's genuine idea for the ST or one of many ideas.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well it’s definitely we’re mid 2000’s George was going at the time.

we all know the ORIGINAL sequel trilogy involved Luke and his not Leia twin sister defeating the Emperor

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I think Lucas went with the idea that the universe is fractal in its infinity. The microbiotic world is also the macrobiotic world, as above so below, and inside mirrors outside and vice versa in terms of the Force and each being.

Everyone fights the fight for balance within oneself, and what is inside people is mirrored on the outside in the universe. The outside Force affects people as people affect the Force. Life creates it and it creates life. Lucas emphasis on symbiosis kinda is based in the concept that everyone and everything is connected. As microbiotic worlds make up our selfs, we all together are not as individual as we may think and are the microbes and tiny parts of a far larger organism and of cosmic entities.

Thus the Whills are in the microbiotic world, but also in the macrobiotic one. The Whills are within us, and yet we are within the Whills so to speak.

Going against the connection, against the symbiosis is becoming a cancer on life itself, a wound in the Force, a Dark Side. Serving the connection of symbiosis is furthering life, the Force and the Light. As Jedi served life, even when they battled the cancer, the Sith tried to fight their obligations to the symbiosis and replace it with a new symbiosis that benefits only them, a parasitic snowball system of cancer that can corrupt life and distort its purpose.

Midichlorians, Whills, Celestials, Ones, etc. all may be beings that exist in the micro/macrobiotic worlds and have let go of the distinction that mortals still cling to, fully embracing that they are within everyone as well as above everyone that comprises their cosmic bodies. The will of the Force is to heal itself, its universal body and all cosmic bodies that make up it. Body, entity, being becomes a fluid term with less fixed boundaries and merely a point of view based descirption that encompasses everything at a certain level one puts one focus to. Be it a planet being a being and its people are parts of its ecosystem, or be it humanoid bodies and microbe worlds as parts within them, or be it cosmic galactic beings and every planet and humanoid etc. being just parts of their functioning cosmic bodies.

This view aside though, there is another esoteric thought that Lucas could refer to with his Whills. But this would go deeper into the make up of creation processes. Every thought, fantasy, action, creates. Not everything creates the world around us. Some create fictional worlds, others only mental or astral planes where dreams, hopes, fantasies or emotions dwell noncorporeal. Now what if these are not just a thought but a thought given shape in their own microcosm, an entity of their own that kinda lives attached to our soul/body until we no longer need and discard it? Good or bad creations that remind us, push us, help us, or suck us dry depending on their purpose and how they were thought up by us. In this rather magical astral world of thoughtplanes and influences on people, the same plane that allows instinct, idea sharing, cocreation and other phenomens, some beings like the Whills may feed on life and the Force, as others feed on dark emotions, pain and else. It is these angels and demons so to speak we feed every day with every thought and action and that sublime push us to do more to feed them. With the Whills it is a symbiosis (through the Midichlorians? speaking to us), they give something back we need. Others though, dark entities are parasitic and should not be fed, but rather let die by starvation not giving in to the dark side.

King Maul and QuinlanSolo like this.