main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The WHore House™ - Version 7.0

Discussion in 'Community' started by zOMG, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Cor's not very good at trolling.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So today noerf.com expires and I'm not renewing it. I have all the files that were on it but it's still up for the day if you need to rescue anything from irk. You'll have to find somewhere else to store your crap. I'm looking at you, Greg [face_plain]

Actually I have the domain of my own name to make a professional website... when I have time.

Let's post images whose links will go dead tonight!

[image=http://www.noerf.com/irk/owned.jpg]

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://noerf.com/irk/jazibmeringue.JPG]

4. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Oh NOES!

I guess none of the pictures in the LEAGUE episodes will show up anymore. :( Oh well. Thanks for the warning.

[image=http://noerf.com/irk/ecosse.gif]

5. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    [image=http://noerf.com/irk/jazzy.JPG]

6. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    So Jazzy, I was walking down the street near MIT today and what did my eyes behold?

A squirrel. But not just any squirrel.

A BLACK squirrel.

As I continued walking, a woman walking towards me with a big smile on her face stops and says, "Did you notice that black squirrel over there? It's adorable!"

"Yeah, I did. It's funny, I lived in Toronto for a while and they have tons of 'em there."

"You know, I'm going to Toronto next week and I was just thinking, 'Is this a precursor to my trip?' It's so funny you should say that!"

The end.

7. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    Was it a black GANGSTA squirrel?

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    We don't have a deal with them!

9. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    [image=http://www.noerf.com/irk/smh.jpg]

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    WHY ARE THESE FILES STILL ONLINE

[image=http://noerf.com/irk/Obikie.jpg]

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    MAGIC

The magic of Obi-Wan.

Not Orlando.

The city, not Bloom.

Jazib masturbating.

Wait, what?

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    THEY'RE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO ISENGARD

13. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    Orlando's a city?

ba-dum-CHING!

Speaking of which. I've been working on coming up with a list of the largest cities in America.

Now I know such a list technically already exists, but it's only determined by the number of people living within municipal boundaries. We all know that in most U.S. cities, most of the population doesn't live in places that remotely resemble a city. They live in places primarily made up of detatched houses with large lots, shopping centers with huge parking lots, and multi-lane highways everywhere. No foreign person who did a thorough and exhaustive trip through America would return thinking L.A. is actually the 2nd largest city in the country. Or that Houston and Phoenix are the 4th and 6th.

Some people trying to solve this problem might just look up population density statistics and order the cities based on that. But density doesn't always equate to urban, and those statistics are often skewed by virtue of city limits including lots of rural land.

Instead, I've set out to order their size based primarily on urban form. Like; Does it have a strong downtown, and with few or no surface parking lots? How far outside of downtown does the city still look and feel like a city? Are the shops and amenities in the low density areas along boulevards and avenues with the buildings up to the sidewalk lining the street, as opposed to being next to highways behind massive parking lots?

So far I've only ranked the top 12. At the moment I've decided they are:

1. New York
    2. Chicago
    3. Philidelphia
    4. San Fransisco
    5. Boston
    6. Los Angeles
    7. Washington D.C.
    8. Portland
    9. Baltimore
    10. Seattle
    11. New Orleans
    12. Pittsburgh

Anyone reading this, feel free to criticize and rearrange as you please.

14. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    An interesting project. Some cities obviously have a more urban feel than cities with larger populations, but it is difficult to assign a ranking given the innumerable characteristics that contribute to "urbanness." Another issue, as you pointed out, is deriving statistics based on a city's geographic boundaries. The statistics for Boston proper, for example, exclude data from neighboring cities like Cambridge and Somerville, which are denser and more "urban" in feel than many areas within Boston's municipal boundaries. They are closer and more well-connected to downtown Boston than many neighborhoods in the southern part of the city (this is because Boston was keen to annex municipalities to its south, but never annexed places north of the Charles River with the exception of Charlestown).

An alternative is to base your analysis on statistics for the entire Metropolitan Statistical Area for each city, but it seems to me that there are wild inconsistencies in how these areas are defined by the Census. For example, the Los Angeles MSA and the Boston MSA are nearly of equal geographic size, even though common sense tells us that LA comprises a much larger urban area than Boston. As a result, the Boston MSA includes a fair number of exurban and even rural communities and its population density is nearly 3 times lower than that of the Los Angeles MSA, yet everyone knows that the core of Boston is more dense than the core(s) of Los Angeles.

I think one of the best indicators of a city's urbanness is its walkability. Walkscore.com does a pretty decent job of ranking cities for walkability I think, although even then, the correlation between walkability and urbanness isn't always perfect. But anyway, here's how their top 14 looks:

1. New York
    2. San Francisco
    3. Boston
    4. Chicago
    5. Philadelphia
    6. Seattle
    7. Washington
    8. Miami
    9. Minneapolis
    10. Oakland
    11. Long Beach
    12. Portland
    13. Los Angeles
    14. Baltimore

Pittsburgh should actually be ahead

15. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    As usual, anything vaguely resembling an intelligent post kills the WH.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    SOME OF US HAVE OUR THESIS FILM THAT STARTS SHOOTING THIS FRIDAY JEEZ

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    I had planned to reply, but was too tired.

I still might...

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    :rolleyes: Fine....

Since maybe like the Middle Ages, there have been many differing opinions about

hustle and bustle. This cannot be denied. It is my intention to sit down and play video

games for several hours.

First, moving around quickly, and with purpose, is a true sign of character.

Secondarily, bustle(e.g. hustle) yields more product for the working types. ?Hustle and

bustle are like my right and left arms,? said Li?l Spicy in his famous ?Hustle and Bustle

Are Like My Right and Left Arms? speech. Webster?s defines bustle as ?excited and

often noisy activity; a stir.? A stir, indeed. Finally, sometimes gross stuff can be funny.

In conclusion, I, ?The Yellow Dart,? think I have done a great job illustrating the

many differing opinions about hustle and bustle, may they both rest in peace. Also, I

think Strong Bad should decrease The Cheat?s allowance.

"Eating One Battery"

[image=http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/6/1/3/7/7/a1915422-3-eating%20one%20battery.jpg]

"Eating Five Batteries"

[image=http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/6/1/3/7/7/a1915423-83-eating%20five%20batteries.jpg]

19. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    You forgot the cash.

20. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    I seriously doubt this is the 100th post. I'm on a pub crawl so i'm gunna drink the cider!

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    You people make me sick.

22. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    we all carry microbes on our bodies, so yeah that's how some disease spread.

while i'm here i'll have a reactor core, and place a bottle of Viandante del Cielo into the cellar

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey guys, remember how this was a think before Facebook?

[/move nostalgia]

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't thing I remember when it was a think, as I didn't notice this think until like two years ago. But I do have a few nice memories from those two years.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000