main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Wild, the Innocent & the Schedule Shuffle: E3 2017

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ramza, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I feel like we're also coming in hot off the strongest first half of a calendar year in video games... ever... so maybe that's coloring things a bit. :p

Life likes this.
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Before Xbox One X Price
    Playstation Exec: "So what should we do? Knock $50 or $100 from the Pro to stay ahead?"

After Xbox One X Price
    Playstation Exec: "So, do y'all want to see Wonder Woman again?"

For the Sony presser, I hover between meh and happiness.

Meh because so much was either "Early 2018" or given no release date.
    Happiness because it was just straight game footage. No boring devs on stage talking about how hard everyone is working on making the individual hairs on Aloy's head look good.

Looking forward to Spider-Man, Days Gone, Shadow of the Colossus, and God of War. And glad that Uncharted: Chloe & Nadine's Excellent Adventure and Horizon DLC is coming out this year.

Life likes this.
  3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    What's the musical ident when Shawn Layden would come out on stage during the Sony presser? I know it but it's bugging the hell out of me where from.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    CAN NINTENDO'S 20 MINUTE NOT A PRESSER INTRODUCTION TO E3 COVERAGE TOP UBISOFT?

Probably not, but I am looking forward to getting a look at the new Mario.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It may have just been a logo, but a new Metroid Prime on top of Beyond Good and Evil 2? E3 has some corkers mixed in this year.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    .... Goddammit I'm going to have to buy a Switch.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    lol that voice acting

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a Koei Tecmo/Fire Emblem joint, that's like a recipe for the utter nadir of voice acting.

Life and Chewgumma like this.
  9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    FTFY

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    ummm does mario get to ride a dinosaur?? holy ****

Edit: A real life dinosaur, that is. :p

11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Ride a dinosaur? No, he BECOMES the dinosaur.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    MARIO'S A TAXI YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I just want to see Mario possess Bowser with that hat.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We thought Bowser was the villain but all this time he was trying to warn us about Mario's evil body snatching abilities.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Are they gonna show us Mario picking up prostitutes?

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    So just to recap:
    • Pokemon Switch is happening, and is aiming for a 2018 release.
    • Metroid Prime 4.
    • Mario can turn into a T-Rex.
    • AC4: Black Flag's naval combat has been spun off into its own game.
    • Mario and Rabbids got together and turned into X-com, and I'm okay with this.
    • Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still a thing.
    • A Way Out is bringing splitscreen co-op back, and looking good in the process.
    • Shadow of the Colossus is getting a nice, shiny remake.
    • We're getting a semi-open world Metro game. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lives!
    • Wolfenstein 2 is going to let you shoot up Nazis and the KKK, and the alt-right are pissed.
    We had to wade through some awful stuff, but E3 2017 as a whole?
    [​IMG]

Life, TX-20 and Ramza like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I can't believe Ubisoft won E3 and I have to buy a Switch.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, just what I expect from Wolfenstein at this point, and I haven't even played The Old Blood yet.

Anthem looks like it could be good, but I just don't have any faith in EA.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I would pay serious money to see T-Rex Mario vs. Bowser. Wait, I don't mean DLC, I mean as a cage match. And some nice snazzy Amiibos to go with it of course (and catchy music for the Odyssey). Never expected body-snatching Mario to be a game mechanic.

Sounds like 2018 November will have the main line Pokemon Switch game. By then the 3DS will have declined by a little bit (maybe) and the Switch will hopefully have gained more momentum and a larger install base. At the rate Switch bundles keep selling out on Gamestop, I hope that's a good sign. Too bad Monster Hunter World probably won't be on Switch, I almost confused the T-Rex Mario for one of the monsters there.

By the time Odyssey comes out I hope I'll have a Switch. A bit surprised Odyssey will be in late October but guess they want the game out well before Black Friday. I was going to get a Switch anyway (especially with Xenoblade 2 still on the way), but I'm even more excited now.

Ubisoft probably had the only big shock of the conference which is why their conference seems "better". I liked Sony's and Nintendo's shows more, but that's just personal preference for their series.

Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wake me up when Half Life 3 is announced.

Actually don't do that. I would be dead then.

Wake me up when Dragon Age 4 is announced?

TX-20 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And a new 2.5D Metroid for 3DS was also announced- possibly a M2 remake?

So, two new Metroids announced. I'm good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also surprised XBC2 hits this year.

Life and Rew like this.
  22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The only problem I have with the 2.5D Metroid game that they announced is that it's being developed by Mercurysteam.

Their output is... mixed to be generous. Hopefully with Nintendo overseeing the project they'll be made to polish this game to a sheen.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure about the latter but I'm otherwise looking forward to S&B. I enjoyed the story fir A4BF but after a few hours I was still on that city island and seemingly no closer to getting to the naval combat/pirating I was looking forward to.

As you say, the assassination stuff was just getting boring after the first few missions. I probably don't intend on picking it back up at this point (come to think if it, it might be a candidate for a rare trade-in by me). But if S&B delivers what I was looking for, I'll happily give that a go.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If so, it would explain taking time to end the fan made remakes. Granted that's also due to copyright, but still...

25. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    There's surprisingly little talk of Spider-Man in this thread. I can't tell by the footage if the game is an open world or if it is structured linearly. It reminded me a little of Beenox's games in terms of movement, tone and gameplay. The stealth attacks looked right out of Shattered Dimensions' Noir Spider-Man stages. The only addition to the formula was a stronger emphasis on scripted sequences, which I don't mind for the cinematic moments. Shattered Dimensions had some of those as well, but they were mostly related to boss or mini-boss fights. I never found them constricting, personally.

Sadly, the web swinging still doesn't seem to be governed by any simulated rules of physics. It looks like it follows the programming of the ASM2 game where you can pretty much move around freely in the air, and the web will attach to the nearest surface to give an illusion of swinging. By contrast, the web swinging in the Treyarch games required you to think about which attach point would produce the most beneficial swing arc relative to where you're trying to go. It felt logical. The size of your swing arc would depend on how far away your line attached and your trajectory would actually be anchored to where you attached your web. It was a close enough simulation to feel tangible, accessible and rewarding. This looked like it only requires you to hold a button to swing on autopilot, which is a bloody shame.

ZY-Fighter likes this.