main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Winchester Mystery: Supernatural Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Alright, being a former diehard X-Files fan and a long standing fan of Jensen Ackles I just knew that I had to watch this series when it premiered this season on WB.

Supernatural is a mixture of ghost hunting, teen-horror flick meets creature hunting, and destroying urban legends. The show is set in Vancouver so it's got that same gray murkiness that was so ominous in X-Files for the first 4 seasons.

Focus of the story - 2 boys woke in the middle of the night and ran out of the house as their father watched his wife get burned to death on the ceiling of the youngest son's nursery only to vanish never to be seen again. Years later the youngest son tried to refuse the call of his father and brother to chase down evil in the world, however, when his girlfriend died in the exact same way...Sam had no choice but to join his brother on a crusade - to hunt for their missing father and to vanquish evil from the world one case at a time.

Who else watches this series? I just watched the last 4 episodes - Home, Assylum, Scarecrow, and Faith. This is one of those series that just gets better and better with each episode.

What do you all think?

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    It's just started on a local channel here, and I'm hooked. Great premise, great acting, and the visuals this early into the season are well done. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm pretty well hooked too. Lucky for you that the only four that you've seen are probably the best four in the series. After what I thought was a lackluster pilot premiere the show has gotten consistently better. The exception being "Dead in the Water" the third episode which remains my favorite though a large part of that probably has to do with the fact that it had Amy Acker in her first post Angel role.

The last episode "Faith" was also freaking excellent. I'm a sucker for Reaper stories whether its Billy and Mandy or Dead Like Me (come to think of it those are the only Reaper stories I've seen :p ). It too featured a Buffy/Angel alum, Julie Benz, who must really be a vampire 'cause she hasn't aged a freaking day.

The show seems to be doing well for the WB (CW whatever) and was recently confirmed for a second season. Don't know if you wanted a spoiler or non spoiler thread so htr (mild "spoilers" concerning the direction of the last of season 1): Many of the future episodes are going to deal with the girl that we saw in Scarecrow and her pursuit of Sam and Dean. She'll be a recurring "Big Bad" for the later episodes of season 1. They are also planning on resolving the storyline of them searching for the Dad and explain some of the Winchester family history.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I saw the pilot episode online, and really liked it. It'll be a pickup when it hits DVD. There's been a lot of ads here in London.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Weezer

I've actually seen the whole series so far, my sister TIVOs them for me so I get to watch them in 4 episode blocks :)

There were some good freaky episodes in the beginning - the spirit in the lake episode, the creature in the mountains, and of course the ghost lady and hitcher stories.

I love that the show focuses on stuff that The X-Files wouldn't, although the premises is somewhat similar, it's a very unique show that pays homage to many of the great films and tv shows out there.

Home is a prime example of where they seriously payed homage to Poltergeist with everything from the lady cleansing the house, to clanging toys, a thing in the closet, and the mother being trapped on her bed. Somehow, it manages to work though and not come off as being a cheap knock-off.

I admit I spent the entire scene w/ the plumber sticking his hand down the sink drain cringing in anticipation of THAT horror story moment :p

Yes, I'm a big fan of his, but I think Jensen Ackles (Dean) is the stronger actor of the 2. The guy playing Sam still needs some acting seasoning, I think, but he holds his own.

The hitcher girl was a cool new twist to the show and does lead to major possibilities for expanding the mythology of the show. Remember, their father said something about "there are many of them out there, watching." So I expect to see many different followers of whatever demon took their mother in up-and-coming episodes. This show is only getting better and better.

6. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Jared Padalecki was quite good on Gilmore Girls where he played... Dean. :p

So far, I've only watched the pilot episode. It was good, but I missed the next episode and decided not to bother trying to catch up. I might try again if they air reruns during the summer.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I know he came from the GG. However, as the series progresses you can tell that Jensen Ackles has been acting for a lot longer thank Jared.

It's kinda bad when Sam's supposed to have killer headaches and I don't believe him :(

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's on here in the UK on ITV and ITV 2. I've been following it, great series.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I've miss a lot of the later episodes :(

Luckly on Sept. 5 the DVD hits

[image=http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/Supernatural_S1.jpg]

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Ooh, nice!

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah! My sister got a pre-show release 36x24 inches poster with the same image that they put on the DVD - it's VERY nice :D

My sister's TIVOed and taped to DVD all episodes except 1 - so that'll hold us over until we can buy a set :D

12. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Its always a good sign when it says "complete first season" and not "complete series" ;)

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Supernatural has been picked up for next year - so it's coming back!

I'm in the process or rewatching the whole series. Right now I'm up to the point where I haven't seen the rest of the episodes, so from tonight on all eps will be new to me.

I just love this show. I love the use of hard rock music to help progress the story along. The best example was during "Faith" when Dean finally realized that there was a Reaper at work and they blared the "Reaper" song to go along with the Reaper at work.

The show's dark, yet there's plenty of humor with the banter between the brothers.

Jensen Ackles is by far the better actor. I find myself often cringing at Jared's delivery of lines and find it somewhat horrifying that I don't believe that he's getting killer headaches. But oh well, he plays the goody-goody well.

Anywhoo more updates as I get through the last 6-7 episodes of the season.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Outstanding! The show's got potential, hopefully they'll make more of an arc this time around.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    There was plenty of arc in the storyline - they just didn't run as many as say, THE X-FILES did.

For anyone who missed most of these episodes they're about to start the show from the beginning again on the WB. So catch them during the summer and catch up for fall!

This series really took off and the last episode ended (literally) with a huge bang.

I can't say enough about it. I find myself glued to the screen while watching each episode - I finally feel like I've found a replacement for THE X-FILES.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yes, it was a conscious decision not to get too "arc-y". The paradigm has shifted a bit now but traditionally you keep things fairly episodic for most if not all of the first season so that you aren't putting off viewers right off the bat. The second half got into more of what I think you can expect in the second season.

Speaking of that I just rounded out that first arc. Just finished watching the last two episodes of the season. They'd been sitting on the DVR for quite some time because I started loosing interest in the show. That totally reminded me why I loved it so much. Great season finale.

There's a bad moon on the rise. ;) :D

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yes, it was terrible! They said there would be a death in the finale, but I certainly didn't think it would be the Impala! :_|

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm hoping that they'll make more of a story arc out of this - they certainly seemed to set up for it for a little while.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Oh I'd say it was a pretty long while.

Like I said, its more of a recent innovation of having wide arcing shows during the first season. You've only seen in the last year or so with shows like Lost, 24, and Prison Break. The traditional line of reasoning was that doing something like that right off the bat would cost you viewers because they're tuning into a brand new show and they are already lost. Look at the first season of X-files, Buffy, Angel, etc. very episodic especially when compared to some of the later seasons of those respective shows where they would have arcs lasting the entire season.

I mean when at the end of the first season you seemingly kill off your three main stars you are certainly going to arc from there ;)

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I really like that Supernatural falls along the lines of X-Files and we get the lovely Monster of the Week - or Demon of the Week episodes thrown in to break up the seriousness of the arc/mythology episodes.

This show's the first time since The X-Files where I want to sit in the dark and watch the episode from beginning to end w/o any distractions.

21. loncey

loncey Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2006

hey all.
    new here.ive seen all the Supernatural series back home in Ireland and have Season One on DVD already.i think the show is super and Deans sense of humour really fits the show,reminds me of my brother! Cant wait for Season two just hope we get it at home is all or ill be lost.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Finally saw all of the episodes - Really enjoyed the show. Not great, but still pretty damn good.

Upcoming episode titles: In My Time of Dying, Everybody Loves a Clown, Bloodlust, Aterlife, Simon Says, and No Exit.

I'm paticularly interested to see what happens in the Clown episode...

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Some cool little tid bits out of Wizard.

They talked about how after last seasons finale there were just as many fans worried about the Impala as Dean or Sam. It will be back.

More story wise though Kripke (creator and E.P.) said that the second season could be summed up with "A War is Coming". We'll get to see more of the underground world of hunters as they prep for the comming battle.

Also great was Kripke plea to Bruce Campbell to shoot a guest spot as a demon hunter :D

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee - so he'll be a hunter instead of the Demon that he portrayed on the The X-File, eh?

That'd be awesome. He's so great and I think he'll fit into the show nicely.

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well thats what they're hoping. Nothing is concrete yet.

It would be great to see though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.