main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Winchester Mystery--"Supernatural" travels of Sam and Dean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Koohii, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I started rewatching the show to see if it was as good as I remembered, and because season 4 is out on DVD and being fed to me via Netflix.
    Overall, the series blends horror and comedy extremely well with an ongoing drama. You can pick up at virtually any point, miss the occasional episode, and not be totally lost. The effects are very good. Not everything is a night shoot or a rubber monster. CGI effects are believible and disturbing. Characters are like-able, even when they occasionally dip into being petty or juvenile. Actors do a good job of keeping the story going.
    First season: Very Good--comparable to Buffy's first season. Good effects. Good episodic structure and overall arc builds nicely. The redressed hotel rooms start to get funny when they all have that same divider balastrade. I guess all cheap motels in the midwest are built on the same template?
    Second season: Excellent. continues what worked well in the first and keeps on going. Picks up a few minutes after the cliffhanger ending and runs. Same motel room being redressed.
    Third season: VEry Good. Still riding strong. Some exellent episodes, but some of the recurring characters are annoying.
    Fourth season: I've only seen the first 4 episodes, but I gotta say--any time you have a supernatural show that starts talking about the role of angels and god, you're in trouble. "I'm not touching that one." When they (angels) actually start to show up, your show has officially jumped the shark. (I hate that expression, but sadly it's here to stay). I think the show may have lost something important. Will update if/when.

Anyone want to do an episode by episode review?

EDIT- As I assemble the new Index, I'm condensing more recent duplicate threads into the larger existing threads, please continue there :)

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Keep watching. It definitely did not jump the shark.

The thing to realize is that it is a constant escalation. The first season dealt with merely getting revenge for their mother's and Jessica's deaths, as well as finding their father. The second season, their mission dealt with stopping "Yellow Eyes" from fulfilling his plan. The third season introduced a new demon pushing that plan even farther, continuing into the fourth season where the goal is to ultimately loose Lucifer from Hell. In Season 5, it's actually Armageddon, and it deals with humans (especially the Winchesters) being caught in the crossfire now that Lucifer is free.

In a lot of ways, Supernatural is like Babylon 5. Eric Kripke started with a 5-year plan for the series, and has carried through with it. (He has, incidentally, let it open to reinvent the series after the 5-year plan completes, but he says he is currently planning to end it "with a bang" next May.)

Give it some time. They've definitely maintained the quality of the show as they move along.

Kimball Kinnison

3. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Disk 2 of season 4 is a major improvement! From the black&white episode tribute to classic horror movies to the wishing well, just a major step up.
    We'll see if this trend continues. I was having rather grave doubts.

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm a big fan of Supernatural, one of the few programmes I make sure I always catch.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This one caught me by surprise. I avoided it for years. Buffy meets X-Files by way of McG was not a pedigree that interested me in the least. The fact that neither Jared Padalecki nor Jensen Ackles have impressed me in their other roles didn't help. But I gave it a shot, and it quickly became one of my favorite programs. I'm only at the beginning of Season 2 now, but Season 1, even with its early preponderance of monster-of-the-week style shows that I don't tend to like and its continuing formulaic nature, impressed me with its style, quality, and the chemistry between the actors. Season 2, so far, is even better. There's been some silliness, a few missteps, but this is one show I'm glad I didn't overlook. Great stuff.

6. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    I never expected to like this show as much as I do now. My friend just kept going on and on about it, and I've learned that just because someone raves about it doesn't mean it will be to my tastes. "It's horror, but it's not actually scary," (she says to the person with an overactive imagination), "And there are two hot guys!" (That last bit is surprisingly significant when going to a women's college with a definite lack of guys, hot or not.) Then I happened to catch one of the lighter episodes when it came on, and I've been hooked ever since.

Although every now and then I find myself missing the "good old days" of season one, I love the escalation (which describes it perfectly, Kimball :) ), and I'm keen to see where Kripke will take us.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Finished watching season 4. Not nearly as good as 1-3. It isn't just the into of angels into the storyline, which got a lot better about 1/2 way through. The show just doesn't have the punch that made it fun.
    Yeah, it may be part of a big, overall plan, but like Buffy, I'll watch the first 3 seasons over and over again, but not season 4. Hopefully the pattern breaks, because if the quality copies season 5 of buffy, I'm going to be miffed.
    Funny, the last disc has about an hour of special features that seem like the writers are trying to appologize and justify their version/interpretation of angels. Maybe they offended the midwestern conservative stereotype group too much? Seems odd.

8. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    This is one of the few programs that I make sure to always catch. A great show can't wait for tomorrow's episode.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Anyone want to do an episode-by-episode breakdown like Saturn5 is doing (quite well) with Buffy?

10. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    Lat night's episode was great fun. And for us SW geeks they refrence Emperor Palpatine, and the witch can use forc choke.

11. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Funniest episode since the one with the rabbit foot. The episodes featuring the Trickster are some of the funnier ones. The genital herpes commercial spoof, poking fun at Grey's Anatomy and CSI were highlights for me.

I drift from Supernatural because of the Demon/Devil-heavy storylines and because it is on at the same time as Fringe but when an episode description sounds promising, I'll make plans to watch it.

12. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    I agree a phenominal episode. One of my favorites yet.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock n bump

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Finished the last of season 5. Wow, whole season has been a let-down. Yeah, there were good episodes, but the ending felt so rushed and disconnected. Big whoop. All sizzle, no steak. One episode really stands out: Hammer of the Gods, as a real disappointment. Instead of something thought-provoking and interesting, the gods of other religions are presented as a shallow mockery. Even Xena Warrior Princess was truer to the original mythologies. This is what they were leading up to for 4.5 years?
    meh.
    It feels like Kripke was trying to make a show bigger than he could actually handle.
    The conceit with the writer about not being able to satisfy all the fans or really provide an ending was both funny, and a total cop-out. And that the writer was god hiding out as a profet... Wow, talk about conceit!
    Oh well.
    The good episodes were either 1-off monster-of-the-week plots or the Trickster episodes.
    "Remember when we just went after Wendigos? How much simpler it was back then?"
    "No."

Yeah, a few dangling threads left behind. One line of dialog could have fixed several of them.
    I feel like going back to the beginning and watching the show all the way through now.

Friends have told me that since the plan was finished, season 6 feels kinda like season 5 of Babylon 5--loose and disjointed because the source material has been used up. ??? Seems to me there are plenty of monsters and legends that are still waiting. Anyone?

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wish season 5 didn't exist.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So it's not just me.
    Good.
    Thank you.

Um, if Dean's amulet is supposed to detect God, why doesn't it go off when he's in the same room with God? You know... What, is there some activation phrase? Do you actually have to test each person in the room one at a time? Or was god not occupying that person at that time?

This is why they should have left god and angels out of it.

17. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I took God as taking over that guy when he wanted to. Like the guy didn't know he was possessed by God. And sometimes God was There and sometimes not.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I guess, I thought it was just not necessary and a big slap in the face to fans.

19. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    I like how Sam and Dean has sorta switched roles. Dean is all conscious and Sam is all ladies man.

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, but doesn't he have a 'vision' while Sam & Dean are near by/in the same room? I could be wrong about that, but I seem to remember something like that.

21. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    Yea but you don't see the necklace to see if it glows. And just because he has a vision that doesn't mean it's God. All the angels knew him as a prophet. And, well it's God. I would think he could hide easily inside the vessel. Would he need permission? I made you boy and I can possess you anytime I want...

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, we don't seem to have rules explaining it, but yeah, permission would be kinda silly.
    So, if this now isn't the end of days, um, are there suddenly going to be more prophets of the lord in the future added to the list?
    Seems kinda... hokey.
    But then, there are so many problems with season 5 that this one detail seems trivial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.