main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Witch of Malachor

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by azog, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    "The Council is blind. You look, but you do not see. You hear, but you do not listen." Jedi Master Kreia stood in the middle of the Jedi Council chamber facing the charges against her.

"You've grown arrogant, Master Kreia." Master Vrook said. "Your teachings have led to the fall of many students. All of those who studied under you have defied the Jedi Council and have went to fight alongside Revan whom also was a student of yours. It because Revan has fallen that we have summoned you here."

"I did not train Revan alone, but that is of no consequence," Kreia said. "Indeed, the Council needs to be able to absolve itself of guilt in these matters, and someone must be held responsible. But it is not through the removal of members of the Jedi Order that will answer the questions in your minds. An examination of the teachings of the Jedi Order is needed, but that is a task that cannot be undertaken. Not without shaking the very foundations on which the Order stands. No, instead Jedi will be cast out, perhaps even stripped of the Force, and in this way the Council will delude itself into believing the problems solved. If you intend to cast me out, then get on with it."

There was silence from the assembled members of the Jedi Council as they looked upon the elderly woman in their midst. Finally Vrook spoke again. "Your lightsaber. You will surrender it. You are a Jedi no more. You are exiled."

There being nothing further to say, she bowed, laid her weapon on the floor and walked out of that chamber for the last time. She returned to her quarters, activating her holo-journal, and began to pack the few items in her possession.

?I have been cast out today. The Council believes me responsible for Revan?s fall. I have surrendered my lightsaber and now must pack my meager belongings. It is, perhaps, my tone or the sound of my voice that casts suspicion on me more than any facts. The Council needs to cast blame on someone, and though I was but one of Revan?s teachers, I have been chosen. Regardless of what the Council believes, I would not have wished any to fall the Dark Side, and it is my sincerest wish that Revan can still be saved.. I am, therefore, going in search of Revan to find the reasons for her fall. I have little hope that this will vindicate me in the eyes of the Jedi, but it is important to me, nonetheless.

The unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding this is that all of the students I have trained have went to fight in the Mandalorian War. In the eyes of the Jedi Masters, I am a failure. Whether this is because of the methods I employ in my teaching or because so many young Jedi feel the urgency of the war preys on a young Jedi's mind, we shall see. The Force shall guide me as always. The truth shall be revealed.

It is my full intention to make a recorded record of my travels so that future Jedi may learn from my, and perhaps also Revan's, examples. I..."

At that point, the machine abruptly shut off. It had been malfunctioning for some time and now it had completely failed. She muttered under her breath in annoyance. She?d contacted the head technician several times to fix it, and each time he claimed the machine was fixed, only to have it become faulty again within a day or two. She sighed and looked around the room. It was as if the Jedi Temple, itself, wanted her gone. On that day, her last in the Temple, the building itself suddenly seemed a cold and unfriendly place. Nothing remained of the bright and cheery place she had come to so long ago as a padawan. The Mandalorian Wars had changed all that, possibly forever. Grim faces replaced the smiles that once were commonplace. Despair could be felt lingering about the place.

Certainly no other Jedi that passed her in the corridors would deign to look her in the eye. Even before her trial, every Jedi in the Temple seemed to know her fate. There had been whispers, whispers which she had sometimes caught the tail end of, but hadn?t given much credence to. Like an other assemblage of sentients, the Jedi Temple too had its gossip, and at the

2. Squall67584

Squall67584 Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    This fic is very well written and I can't wait for more. When I played KOTORII I could see that there was definately more to Kreia then she let on and I'm glad to see someone writting about her. I also like how you chose the "dark" ending for the first game and yet still make it seem that it worked out. I felt the second game's explination was a bit fickle on that subject if you chose that path, but your explanation certainly seems plausable.

3. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Thanks. I decided that the Dark Ending added extra tension to the story that wouldn't have been there with a Light side ending. I think a Dark side ending also is more revealing about how it works when a person falls. No doubt it will play an important part in KOTOR III. I see in the latest Gameinformer magazine that they're are already rumors coming out about the third one.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "The Council is blind. You look, but you do not see. You hear, but you do not listen." Seems the Jedi Council runs into this same problem every couple millennia.

I feel quite bad that it appears Kreia has become the scapegoat of the Jedi's ills.

I look forward to seeing more as I've no idea about KOTOR 1 or 2.

5. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    The Witch of Malachor II

The Star Map. It was the first of four that had led Revan to find the Star Forge, and now it stood before her, glowing in the darkness. The Dark side could be felt in it. In its making and in its power. The Rakata had trifled with powers they did not understand, and in the end paid a terrible price for it. Now Kreia would use it to find Revan somehow. As it was for Revan, it would be a first step, and so she studied the map before her, noting the corrupted elements of it, the incomplete coordinates, the missing data. But she was not alone in the temple of the Builders.

A lesser Jedi might not have noticed the presence stirring behind her, but when it rushed out of the darkness at her, force pike raised, Kreia had her lightsaber out in an instant. The beam of it gave the Star Map a red glow. She swung the blade in a wide arc, blocking the assassin's stabbing attack. A Force push knocked him on his back and sent the force pike skidding across the stone floor. It was common with the younger Force students relying on martial skills instead of on the Force to guide their hands in combat. It was the undoing of many of them.

"Do you think me weak because I am old?" she asked him. "Do you think me completely blind because my eyes do not function as well as they once did?"

The assassin was ignoring her, attempting to call the pike to his hand through the Force.

But with a gentle hand motion from Kreia, the pike skittered across the floor and into the next room. Focusing on the man in front of her, he was held fast unable to move, trapped in the Force as directed by Kreia. His body shook ever so slightly as he attempted to free himself from her grip, but it was in vain. She closed her eyes, switching off the lightsaber and concentrating ever more deeply...

His mind was laid bare before her, though moving through it was rather like wading through thick mud. Madness had corrupted it so that it was broken into unclear images. His proximity to the Star Map had, no doubt, played a part in that. Dark thoughts, disturbed thoughts lie there. Hatred, rage, regret, all intermixed. And beyond that, the desire to inflict pain. The desire to kill all Jedi, everywhere. And beneath that, the frightened fallen Jedi that was at that core of this being, horrified at what it had become, at what the Dark side had done to it, but finding it easier to give in to the Dark thoughts, obey its passions rather than resist. Indeed, there was no more strength left in him to fight his destiny. His surface thoughts were only of either escaping or somehow getting the Force pike in his hands. Underneath those were of his Sith fighter concealed nearby, the Star Map calling to him, luring him in. And somewhere in the middle of all that, a few fragmented images of Dantooine has he had once known it.

Kreia perked up sensing this creature's memory of Revan. Revan, in full armor, standing before a large host of individuals in dark robes, some of them in garb similiar to this man. Standing in a large room of grey stone with many doors. On the doors were glowing red circles...

?Where is this place?? she whispered loudly. .

But there was little else to be read from the man who had grown very still. Pulling off his mask, she saw the face of a young Jedi she once knew, now horribly twisted by the Dark side, skin drained of color and showing blood vessels. She placed her hand on his forehead, and using the Force to put thoughts into his mind, spoke to him. "You have lost your way, but there may yet be redemption for you. You will find your way to Coruscant, and there you will find the Jedi where you will surrender yourself. We shall see. Perhaps there is still humanity left in you. I am taking your ship, so you will have to find another means of getting there."

Still she had found an unlikely clue to Revan here. The man?s ship was somewhere outside the complex, and so she left that dark place, the Star Map folding back up into itself. And she left him with the thought in his mind that there might still be a chance f

6. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Wow I am liking this one. :D I cant wait for more. And what will she find on Korriban?

7. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    :) What will she find? Seriously cheap real estate, a nice dry climate, no traffic, no smog, a low crime rate, plenty of parking....but on the other hand, the shopping is lousy, the club scene is dead, no holonet access, no community college access, no surfing, no snowboarding, decent healthcare is in short supply, and for godsake would somebody please open a Starbucks???

8. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    I tell you this though. If I was going to build a Sith (or Jedi) Academy, it would be on a nice tropical planet like the Star Forge Planet with great beaches.

9. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Good fanfic, I'd like to hear more of this.

10. DarkMan77

DarkMan77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    Good story azog, i'm liking this.
    Hope you update soon, mate!
    If you get a chance, check out my fic "The Battle for Malachor."

11. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Thanks people. I'm about half way through Witch 3. I'm going slow because I want to make sure I get it right. If I do nothing else right, I want to make sure I do Kreia justice.

12. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    The Witch of Malachor III

The Sun hung lazily in the sky as Kreia set her craft down in the valley. The wind throwing up a large cloud of dust in the air, a testament to the arid climate of the planet. The remains of stone pillars either leaned against one another or lay broken on the ground. And from the cockpit of her starfighter, she could see a pair of half-covered skeletons lying nearby.

Her sensors had detected a stone structure, as well as the highest concentration of life forms, at the far end of the valley, though when she attempted to stretch our her senses through the Force, she felt only the cold presence of the Dark Side. It was strong here, and it blocked her attempts to reach beyond what her physical senses offered. It was as though a veil had fallen before her eyes, and yet she knew that she need only draw upon the Dark Side and the veil would be lifted. No doubt younger students of the Force fell easily to its wiles. She had studied it from the sanctity of the Jedi Temple, scrutinizing such lore as was available on the Sith. She?d also heard the testimony of those few who fell to the Dark Side culminating in the meeting she?d had with her former student Kol Namr aboard the Sith warship. He?d shown her not only how easily it was to fall, but how far one could fall in short period of time. But few truly understood the nature of the Dark Side, understood that it merely revealed what was already inside a person. Those who surrendered to its embrace were those who sought power, for good or for bad, and were willing to pay the ultimate price for it. She was not one of those.

So she climbed out of the cockpit, setting foot on the surface after a long hyperspace journey. She?d had more than ample time to sleep before the proximity alert from the navicomputer had stirred her to wakefulness, and she felt refreshed. Kreia found herself standing amongst the ruins of a vast fortress. On either side of her, inset into the sides of two cliffs were openings. She perused the glyphs on the entrance of each one and was pleased to find that her studies of the ancient Sith language had not been in vain. The openings were entrances into the tombs of various ancient Sith lords. The glyphs around the doors gave a brief history of each one. The tombs, themselves, had already been plundered, a fact which did not wholly surprise Kreia. In her limited archaeological experience, the thieves almost always arrived before anyone else did, usually destroying or plundering relics of the past and items of historical importance. She spent, perhaps, longer than she realized studying the inscriptions on the tombs, so immersed had she become in the carvings. The Sun began to set as she finally pulled herself away, and Kreia began to walk in the direction from which her sensors had detected life.

She walked amongst the broken pillars, past yet more skeletons and noted the remains of various archaeological digs along the way. Tools for digging lay strewn about, half buried, but preserved by the dry climate. The path led her finally to a narrow passageway between two low cliffs. The path wound its way around in a u shape, past a cave entrance and led up to a large stone door left open.

There, before the door stood to two four-legged animals, almost like scrawny Kath hounds. From her studies, Kreia knew these to be tuk'ata, an animal which the Sith had often used to guard important areas or for hunting, and they were known to be difficult to control. They immediately began to growl at her approach, though they appeared to be feral and not at all concerned with the structure. Cautiously, the two of them began to move towards her. So she stopped where she was, drawing on the Force and putting calm thoughts in their minds, yet she found it more difficult there than it normally would have been. They resisted initially, but their approach became gradually slower until they came to a stop less than a meter away. Their growling ceased and they began to whine, as the conflicting emotions stirred in their minds. Then all at once, they be

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Impresive. Most impresive. :D
    Nice story.

14. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    Keep up the good work azog!

15. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Nice post. This is turning out to be a really interesting fic. More soon.

16. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah nice job!

17. Wulf_Mayn

Wulf_Mayn Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2004
    Azog...great piece.

From playing KOTOR II I always thought her exile came as a result not of Revan's fall, but simply she did, as you assert, pervert certain Jedi teachings - she was a recalcitrant that understand the failings of the Jedi, despite their own ignorance.

The timelines are a little muddy, but logically Kreia would've been Exiled from Darth Sion and Nihilius at the time of Revan's fall, given she was the procter and care-taker of Trayus Academy. Revan studied under her as a Jedi, as a Sith, until he sought out Korriban, and then the Unknown Regions.

I could be wrong. Otherwise you really do justice to her character and you have a freedom within your writing...a natural clarity. Can I make a suggestion? In the first line of the first story "The Council..."...make it "This Council..." It immediately places a frame of reference to whom she is referring, and added immediate dramatic tension...the writer knows she's pissed and speaking to people she's pissed at.

18. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Indeed. It is all very confusing and not very well explained in the game. Therefore, for reference, I use this excerpt from the KOTOR 2 website (see the chronology section there):
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca/coffeemeister/story.html

The game does contradict it in places, but to do KOTOR 2 fan fiction, I think you really need some kind of timeline to work off, and this is from the official site, so I make my best guesses from it and go from there.

19. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    The game is most definately not seamless in terms of storyline. For my fic i just invented a relationship between Revan and the Exile, though the game suggest there was none, which i find hard to believe.

20. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Jan 28, 2005
    Interesting discusiion azog, darkman, and mayn. I think there are less of contradictions but just plot holes which I hope will be filled in K3. A background story on the Mandalorian Wars from the makers of K1 and K2 would be good. Although I would not rule out a romantic relation ship between opposite sex revan and exile I find it unlikely. Why? I don't really know. Maybe they were both to mcuh Jedi like still. At that time Revan was straying towards a dark path while the Exile was still lightsided and Jedi like. Of course we all know that there is no definite storyline after the beginning of K1 since it reflects the players decisions. I always imagined Revan female and Exile male. Maybe Atton influenced me to much on Peragus II when he puts Revan as a woman without you saying anyhting. Revan I always imagined with a dark ending game. The exile was always light sided in my opinion but still a person with a sad lot and lots fo hardship. Many people have asked who would win in a Revan/Exile duel... like you azog I love Kreia and if she says the Exile is the strongest she evertrained i'll take her word on it. So I always hoped for the stroy to continue with a Revan?Exile confrontation in K3. Playing the Exile :). And I certainly hope they make a patch for K2 adding all the deleted stuff back in.

21. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    I did not necessarily have to be a romantic relationship obi wan, any kind of relationship would have been good, but the game suggest they did not even know eachother and that is what i find hard to believe.

22. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Jan 28, 2005
    Thats dobful too since the Jedi order was like a big family and I think the Exile was one of the first and closest people to Revan. And it the beginning I think only few Jedi joined Revan and Malak. The Exile wa sone of these few in my opnion. It would make for a good K3. The exile if ds, going to kill Revan for revenge or if ls to redeem (if Revan is ds)or to help (if Revan is ls) Revan.

23. Wulf_Mayn

Wulf_Mayn Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2004
    I have a hard time thinking there could be a relationship with the DS female Revan and the Exile. But again, that's like an alternate universe...quite possibly it could have happened...the Exile realized where things went wrong and decided to return, while the female Revan went on to kick butt.

I think it's more plausible that the Exile and Atris had something going...there seems to be undertones that supercede master-apprentice relationship. Possibly Atris harbored feelings for the Exile which were not shared, and part of her resentment toward him is for that.

I've found a couple sites that have found dialogue and hinted at certain plot lines that were not in KOTOR 2 and they kind of tie up loose ends. This is dialogue you can access in your game...it's kinda neat. There's a lot more going on that didn't make the game than we're aware of...

There seems to be a movement afoot that will create a mod or mods to untie these lost plotlines and re-integrate them back into the game.

Honestly, KOTOR 2 is a great game, but it does feel unfinished...rushed, and not as tight or complete at KOTOR. I hope whoever develops it this time will take their time instead of rushing it out the door for Christmas sales.

24. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Jan 28, 2005
    On ff.net i found the first daring atris/exile fic. The Troublesome Student is the title. Very good sotry with interesting and intelligent dialogue. I enjoyed it. If anyone would like to read it... it's under the games> star wars section on ff.net.

25. azog

azog Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Well, I do have a 3 part Atris series that I'm doing also in case anyone's interested:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/coffeemeister/fiction.html

Parts 2 of 3 are done, and I've already started the 3rd. As for the Witch of Malachor, I expect to put up part 4 of 5 tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.