main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Witcher Series (PC RPG of the Forever)

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    So I'm in the middle of administering the potions to Uma when suddenly the game pauses and says that it needs an update. Wth? Was the new update just released within the last 5 minutes?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, yes.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    lol what are the odds.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, Patch 1.08 is out? Great, maybe I can now kill that bloody werewolf! Correction: The werewolf actually dies, I've killed it twice but the game just doesn't register.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So went to check if 1.08 was available and it's already downloaded 50% of it!

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, that bug isn't yet fixed.....

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Wait, which werewolf are you talking about?

Also, I started doing Brothers in Arms, but I feel like I'm approaching the end of the game and I'm only a level 25. I've done unending hours of side quests and Witcher contracts, so I was hoping to be a higher level with some truly amazing armor and gear come the near-end. But as of now, I've only got Enhanced Griffin gear. I do have the master armor the woman smith in Velen made, but I'm not a high enough level yet to wear it. :(

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A good set of appropriate level medium armor and a kick-ass sword will probably suffice for the endgame; don't sweat it too much as they dole out a lot of quest experience for the big set pieces and a properly optimized Geralt fighting to his strengths will do well basically regardless.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Why do I feel like you just did this?

[​IMG]
    "There, there. There, there."

:p

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Hmm... That Reverend Lovejoy image showed up in the preview :/

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's at the end of the Skellige's Most Wanted witcher contract.

As to that armour, it looks epic - then I got Superior Ursine armour which was better still.

To raise your level, do the traditional route - kill things, many, many things.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

The werewolf in Skellige's Most Wanted is immortal due to a curse. To complete his quest you have to lift the curse by investigating the entire area and speaking with various people. After the curse is lifted, you can either let him go free (and he'll offer you a reward to be found in Novigrad), or you can kill him (because he's a truly awful person). Or, third option: offer to let him go (so he'll tell you about the reward in Novigrad) and then attack him to rid the world of his filth.

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've only just started this game after finishing Arkham Knight and all I can say is wow...

I though the area around Whiteoak was a reasonable size and then I got to Velen.

There is so much to do, it is so easy to stumble onto a quest that is WAY above your ability but still avoid a bloody messy death allowing you to return later.

Superb game

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fairly certain that's Morkvarg and a different contract. I fed him himself and killed him.

15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh. Yeah. You're right.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I tried quests I had no chance on about 3 times before I realised I had to check the level - so don't do what I did, pay attention to those details.

Yeah, it's stunning - Velen-Novigrad just keeps on going and as for Skellige.... One thing that really comes up if I do a big horseback trip is the scenic variation and design. They didn't have to do that but they did.

It's also quite satisfying seeing a relatively small software house decking the hell out of EA and UbiSoft by not being gits! Quite the contrary!

With the exception of Fallout 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X, I don't see it being topped this year.

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Hello, my name is BartSimpson-SithLord and I was a Loot addict. That is, until I tried to find and grey out all Skellige Undiscovered Locations. Why, around the time I'd done half the map I realized, "Y'know, not doing a Smuggler's Cache isn't going to be the end of the world, I'll let those Sirens live". And I tell you, when I realized I didn't have to have ALL the loot (most which I was just going to stash away anyway without even selling.) I was freed from my addiction to looting. At least for this game.

Thank you, Witcher 3. You saved me from ten more hours of fast traveling to my stash and then fast traveling to a boat.

Jedi Ben and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I hate inventory management. Not in this game per se; just in general. So I'm somewhat of a reluctant looter. I only pick up the items that look cool, will benefit my character, or that I can probably sell for a nice sum.

Though when first playing this game, I did much as the Zero Punctuation review portrayed: ie. looting everything in case I needed those specific items for alchemy or crafting. But as it turns out, I still have tons of junk that I'll probably never use for either.

As for discovering all the undiscoverables: up until recently I was trying to do clear all the "?" spaces in Velen. But then it just got annoying because like 90% of them are just bandit camps.

At the moment, I'm grinding to level up from 25 to 27 so that I can wear that sweet master-crafted armor from the woman smith in Velen. The problem I'm running into, though, is that many of the Witcher Contracts I've recently collected suggest a level between 33-36. So I'm not sure if I should still try to tackle those or not.

19. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    If you fight defensively some of them will be fine. I accidentally completed The Mystery of the Byways Murders at around level 15, not even realizing it was a Level 22. Sure, I had to reload like 5 times at the end, but eventually I got the hang of what I needed to do. So, I guess it just depends on if you want a challenge. I have noticed that I need to stop trying to fight the red skull Griffins when I first see them flying about. Those things eat through my shield and then me in two fast swipes.

As for my philosophy on looting: Like Gabe from Penny Arcade, I don't want to get to the broom dungeon and then wonder why I didn't pick up all those brooms.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But killing bandit scum is fun!

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It just got redundant for me.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I swear, lately every time I find an opportunity to play this game, I start a quest only to be interrupted by a sudden update!

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Weird, 1.08 is the latest patch.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So, my father-in-law moved back in. He can be kind of annoying. Okay, really annoying.

Now he's convinced the wife that our small kids fight each other because sometimes they see me playing games like Witcher 3. It could be because they're kids, or because maybe they inherited a violent nature from his part of the family. [face_plain]

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's clearly because they're preparing for a future where the only valid currency is violence.

Edit: And speaking of such a future, the New Game+ DLC is rolling out today! Your level carries over (Assuming it's 30+, otherwise you're bumped to 30) and monsters are leveled up to match you. [face_skull]

Jedi Ben likes this.