main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Woody Paige Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    This guy on Cold Pizza this morning with Bayless is awful.

I saw a very little of it, but from what little I saw, even Bayless is better than him. And thats bad.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Woody's new column up, its about his sister who passed away the other night. Very sad, but very poignant.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
  4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Very sad to hear that she passed away :(

On a lighter note, somehow I'm not surprised that heels was the one who posted an article with this sentence: "A few weeks ago, as we sat in her living room in South Carolina and watched a Tennessee football game" :p

Paige was on ATH yesterday (possibly Monday as well, but I missed that one)... he won, got to his 30 seconds and was so surprised that he didn't know what he was going to talk about. He ended up talking about cancer and how we need to keep working to help people with cancer, etc. As Tony put it, a very good use of his time, especially given how he didn't have anything planned ("I didn't think I was going to win")

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    EDIT: gah, double post :mad:

6. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I was very sad when I heard Woody say that his sister had died on ATH. When he had mentioned on Cold Pizza that she was very sick I didn't think she was so near to death.

One other thing, that little bit confirmed what we all(I imagine) suspected: ATH is totally rigged from the get go

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It may be partially slanted, but if you watch it enough, you can get a feel for what Tony gives points to and what definitely won't. Like in showdown the other day, I forget who it was (Smith-Mariotti?) and they were tied going into the last topic, the first (Smith?) said something really stupid, which should have lost him the game... and then Mariotti (I'm pretty sure it was Mariotti here, but not certain) just said something even stupider, and Tony had to hesitate before reluctantly giving Smith (or whomever) the win. Predictable, but definitely based on what they said.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Sad to hear about his sister. Nice article he wrote about her though.

9. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    Nah, the winner is definitely pre-determined. There have been clues before if you watch closely. Once Cowlishaw tried to start talking NASCAR in the intro and Reali muted him and said "You can wait for your 15 seconds". Cowlishaw won that day and his 15 seconds were indeed about NASCAR.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Saying "You can wait for your 15 seconds" (or 30, or whatever) can just as easily mean "next time you win, whether its today, tomorrow, next week, or whenever", so I wouldn't attribute too much to that.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I love how everyone agreed with Woody today and he was axed first.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Tony is fine as hell, btw. Just saying is all. :)

13. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    I think Tony Reali may indeed have the coolest "job" in the world.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Woody looks ten years younger with his new makeover. Maybe Denver has done him well. :)

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    People still love Woody... right?

right?

16. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
  17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
  18. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I wonder what happened in Las Vegas between Woody and Tessa Plaschke...[face_thinking]

19. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    lol, did you guys see Woody pour a glass of water all over himself today?

20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That was an embarrassment to all Coloradans. :oops:

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Unlocking and upping because I just watched Woody Paige have probably the most entertaining nine-point loss in the history of Around the Horn showdowns. [face_laugh]

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    damn! and I haven't seen the show in a long ass time because of work! :(

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I was out of the room for the start of showdown, and when I got back, he was answering the wrong questions. What the heck happened?

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tony started by saying that to win showdown, you must speak well.

First question, Woody tripped on his words (imagine that), and Jackie got the points because Tony said to speak well, and Woody didn't.

So, the second question is about Lincecum, and Woody, instead of answering it, decides to talk about the Pens-Wings game, and say what he had for the first questions before he fumbled through it.

And, on the final question, Woody decided not to talk about Tom Brady, but instead to talk about Lincecum, which got him a handful of negatives and a mute. For a total of -6 to Jackie's +3, and a nine-point loss. It was hysterical though.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, ok. I caught the tail end of the second question and then all of the final question, which is why it didn't make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.