Amph The Works and Worlds of Laurell K. Hamilton

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Cobranaconda, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Richard's not a pansy!! Nice, normal guy . . . I guess I keep seeing him as someone I would date, because he's sweet and nice :)
  2. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey!!!
    Micah came in at my bookstore yesterday!!
    Has anyone else got their copy??
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Fun!! No, I can't get anyone to take me to Borders :(
  4. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    I read a few reviews of Micah. They're extremely negative, looks like the Anita series drops off :p

I still need Stroke of Midnight.
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Do you think she'll continue writing them?
  6. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, maybe Danse Macabre will be better :p
  7. Merlyn_Gabriel Force Ghost

star 4
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I bought two of her books (I believe numbers 6 and 7) a few months ago, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read them. Anita (like Merry, I noticed) spends too juch time being a hard-@$$ and bemoaning the fact that Richard (like normal people) has a few qualms about killing people. She's too confused about her emotions, and the repetitiveness of it is wearing on me. And I'm dreading getting to the bits with hundreds of pages of sex (a la Merry), especally as at the point I am right now, Anita is trying not to have it. Then (apparently) she goes to having several lovers (again like Merry--I'm sensing a trend). The switch is, I'm sure, going to irriate me quite a bit.

In other words, the series started out good but is getting worse. I liked #3 best, I think. And I must admit that I'm looking forward to the Edward book. He's my favorite character, with Richard second.
  9. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, I've booked up on Anita, I've read 6 now, and I'm guessing, nat, that you probably won't like Richard as much once you've finished it.

I've also just read through LKH's blog:

Danse Macabre is almost done at the publishers, so it should be out soon, maybe.

Mistral's Kiss, the next Merry novel, has been sent off to the publishers for edits and stuff.

And now she's working on the next Anita book, which features Richard and Edward (For the first time since Obsidian Butterfly).

Might be getting better :p

Read some more...

Apparently the first chapter of Mistral's Kiss hits the bedroom straightaway. Joy.

Danse Macabre is out at the end of this month in the US.

And Richard and Anita are going to "stop fighting and make love."

Well, not as good as I hoped then.
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    More sex, joy :rolleyes: But I'll keep going, if only because I want to finish the two books I've got so as not to waste my money.
  11. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    How does one read a vampirian book these days? And their cousins, werewolves. The similarities and background are pretty much cemented. Is it the characterisation and development that sets one apart?

This thread is only for discussing LKH. There are Martin threads where this would be appropriate, or you can start a new one.
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    People change vampires and werewolves all the time as far as how they became one, what kills them, what happens during certain times of the month/day, etc. And they can be totally different sort of people in different boks. It's like swords or horses or spaceships or magic--different people write them different ways, and there are an infinate number of ways they can be written.
  13. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Plus LKH threw in a twist by "legalising" vampirism and outlawing discrimination against lycanthropes :p
  14. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    WEE!! Danse Macabre coming soon!

I realize that it's tempting to talk about other vampire books here, but this thread is for LKH only. Please start a new thread to discuss this.
  15. JediFarfy Force Ghost

star 4
    I had no idea where was a LKH thread! :p

So, anyone read Danse Macabre? IMO, Micah has more plot in half as many pages. I just hope she doesn't edit Edward out of the next book like she did the last couple!

JediFarfy
  16. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Nope, not yet. I have to get through Burnt Offerings through to Micah before I can start on Danse. And from all of the reviews I've seen, Micah's meant to be crap. So if Danse is worse... I don't want to think about it :p

I look foward to Strange Candy and Mistral's Kiss though.
  17. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Suffering my way through The Killing Dance. Same old complaints, but I'm still reading, and I must admit that I want to read the next Merry book. Skim, actually, or skip hundred-page chuncks, but you get the idea. I can't wait for her to meet up with her uncle and mother!! That should be interesting :) But is anyone else having trouble keeping track of her lovers? I get them all mized with, with the exception of the original five or so.
  18. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    *Is still at the stage where she only has two*
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Are you talking about Anita or Merry?
  20. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Anita :p

I can follow Merry's, but only because they have cool names :p
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Oh, I was talking about Merry. Yeah, they have really cool names, and several start with 'A' 8-} Her old friend (his name is slipping my mind) is my favorite, though, with the Boggart fan as #2. Frost and Doyle kinda irritate me, though I can't figure out why.
  22. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Galen and Rhys :p

Frost rules, as does Rhys. Barinthus is also quite cool. Mistral has purple hair, and is thus infinitely cool. Abloch annoys me though :p
  23. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Galen and Rhys, right :)

Frost seems to go between two extremes, hard-core and needy (actually, a lot of LKH's men do that), and it's getting old. Her characters all seem to be the same.

I can't really remember Abloch, but I'm pretty sure I don't like him, either. I like starts-with-an-N, though.

What do you think of Doyle?
  24. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Doyle I don't mind, but he gets rather clingy, which annoys me somewhat.

Abloch was the drunk. I'm probably spelling his name wrong though. Abloec? Something like that. Damn Welsh names.

Starts with an N... Nicca?

He's cool too.
  25. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nicca, that was it. I like him :) It sweet that he fell in love with the girl because of the ring, because now he can be happy :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.