Amph The Works and Worlds of Laurell K. Hamilton

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Cobranaconda, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFarfy Force Ghost

star 4
    I need to get my hand on those ones. I haven't read them yet, but I do have the first one (Kiss of something something... ish...). I have heard that there will be a definite end to the series though. She said 8 books at first, now she's hoping for 12. How you can stretch it out that much, I don't know.

Burnt Offerings is one of my favorites! I just love Council drama! :D

JediFarfy
  2. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, LKH likes drawing things out, preferably space-filling with lots of sex :p
  3. JediFarfy Force Ghost

star 4
    If that's the case, none of the characters will see another birthday in the next decade. She'll just start writing a novel that covers every 3 days of their lives. :rolleyes:

JediFarfy
  4. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Which is kind of what's happening to the Merry Gentry series. The last two books together have taken place in a week or less.
  6. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    More like 3 days...

:p

Still, I prefer the Merry series sex, as it a) has some sort of point, and b) is shiny :p
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Haven't gotten to that in the Anita books so I can't compare, but

Yeah, but it takes a hundred pages and way too much description to get there.

I don't even want to know.
  8. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    I meant that literally. Sidhe glow, and are thus shiny :p
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Ah, got it. I was a bit afraid of that, wondering what you meant . . .

Do you know when the 5th Merry book comes out? Or is it already out?
  10. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    12th of December for you lot. I'll probably be able to get it sometime next April :p

(I first saw Stroke of Midnight last Monday. That's how bad it is over here for them :p

Then again, they have Danse already...)
  11. Zandoran_Celix Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Laurell has a contract for 15 Anita books.

also Micah was ok, but it covered the timeframe of two days I think. and was mostly aobut Anita and Micah being alone.

I'll have Danse sometime this week. I joined the Science Fiction Bok Club and got it for $0.20.

5 books for a dollar plus shipping, which made it a total of 15.49, but 5 books for 15 bucxks is a great deal. especially new releases.

12. Zandoran_Celix Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Guilty Pleasures is bing made into a Comic.

[image=http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/ABGP001-p08.jpg]

I've been reading Danse. Heard alot of negative reviews but so far I like it. Its not nearly as bad as Micah was and atleast its not all about the sex.

13. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    A comic? Wow. That's one book I wouldn't think of as a comic. I wonder if they'll do sequels. Some of those would be far from appropriate.
  14. Zandoran_Celix Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your telling me. Whoo Wee if some of the Anita blakes made it into Comic form I think youd have to be 21 to buy it. It could get VERY VERY Raunchy.

Though I'd stilll buy it.

I finished Danse and have decided I'm not going to let negative reviews ruin my experience in reading the Anita Books. Yeah theres alot of Sex, but I'm not to overly shunned by it. Atleast theres a better excuse than whats said in the Merry books. and its not just sex for sex sakes. i mean Vampires and Sexual seduction weren't Laurell's idea to begin with. Most Vampire legends have sex in it somewhere, she just chose to explain it better.

The only thing I dont overly enjoy is the fact that she has Anita still try to hold a Moral highground concerning the sex. If Anita would just quit thinking on it so much and then not whine about it then perhaps the books might be more enjoyable.

And Shes dragging out the books to take too long. Danse was set more or less in just a 24-hour period which made for a good book, but just doesnt hold like the other books did. And the no police work or professional work was kinda alien. I miss having our Badass Executioner and Animator, along with our Preternatural Expert.
  15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I agree. There is far too much whining on her part, and if she wuold stop, it would be ten times better. That bugs me a lot more than all the sex.
  16. Zandoran_Celix Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Has anyone got to read Danse and Micah yet?

I have somethings i'd like to talk about but Don't want to ruin the books for those who havent got to read them.

17. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Zandoran_Celix

I just finished reading Micah and Danse. PM me if you want to discuss some things. I love discussing books. I'm also new to the series so I've read the entire series in about 3 weeks. (It was over a break here and I'm away from family so I had nothing to do). I absolutely love the series though. The sex stuff doesn't bother me because she does have it in there for a reason, but I do think she's getting carried away in the last couple of books. It seems like each scene she's trying to one-up herself and concentrates more on that than an actual plot. Kinda disappointing because the first set of books were so well done. I just finished Obsidian Butterfly and that book is amazing (and there's no sex.) She's an incredibly talented author that needs to get back to writing books like that or come up with a better reason for all the sex scenes because they are already starting to get old. Some of those books could be cut in half without the detailed sex scenes. I want more of the smart*** Anita comments and funny jokes. I also agree about the whining thing, though in this last book she was trying to cut down on the whining and was starting to accept things the way they were.
  18. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Has anyone picked up the Guilty Pleasures comics yet? I have the first 3 - they're alot of fun and can't wait to see more!
  19. IronGoldie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I actually picked up the first four yesterday and read them all. I enjoyed them quite a bit. Fun to read, but I have minor complaints about the artwork (me being picky though). I picked up a copy of the novel Guilty Pleasures the other day used as well. Haven't read it yet though. These are actually my first Laurell K. Hamilton buys. I was reading about her online and from everything I read the early stuff is good, fantasy mixed with crime (thats what grabbed my interest), but the later stuff is pretty much smut. I know what to avoid then, or at least what to not expect much out of...
  20. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780425217245&itm=2

It's getting close![face_love]
    I was browsing used books at the Goodwill yesterday and I saw a Star Trek Next Generation novel written by Laurell K Hamilton. - Can you imagine that?
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    No :p

I saw a summary of her latest book in the "new books" thread; Anita may be pregnant!!! And the whole thing with her needing six lovers to do magic is just ridiculous. LKH's books have degraded into just a bunch of sex; it's awful :(
  22. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Upping to say that The Harlequin is pretty damn good :p Edward's back :D
  23. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I do love Edward. What did he do in the book?
  24. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    He brought his stepson along with him. [face_plain]
  25. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Eh, you knew that after Obsidian Butterfly Peter wouldn't be a normal kid anymore. I was just shocked that he brought Olaf along :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.