main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The World Cup thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedi_Loon, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    With 52 days to go, it's about time we had a thread dedicated to the World Cup! Whether you want England to win or fail miserably this is the place to say. Here's a quick looky at the Group B fixtures of the group that everyone expects England to storm through, I'm hoping we can give those Swedes a much needed broadside as we breeze through the group into the second round.

Sat 10th June, 1400 BST
    ENGLAND v PARAGUAY
    Frankfurt
    Live on BBC One/Radio Five Live

Thu 15 Jun, 1700 BST
    ENGLAND v TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
    Nuremberg
    Live on BBC Radio Five Live

Tue 20 Jun, 2000 BST
    PARAGUAY v TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
    Kaiserslautern

Sat 10th Jun, 1700 BST
    TRINIDAD & TOBAGO v SWEDEN
    Dortmund

Thu 15 Jun, 2000 BST
    SWEDEN v PARAGUAY
    Berlin

Tue 20 Jun, 2000 BST
    SWEDEN v ENGLAND Cologne

GROUP A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

GROUP E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech Republic

GROUP F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

GROUP C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Holland

GROUP G
    France
    Switzerland
    South Korea
    Togo

GROUP D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

GROUP H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

BBC World Cup coverage

England website

So with Sven soon to be announcing a provisional squad who would you take to the world cup?

2. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    My squad for the world cup would look something like this:

Paul Robinson - Has to go, in my opinion Robinson is by far the best that England has.
    John Terry - Consistent and always seems to be in the right place at the right time
    Rio Ferdinand - Hmmmm not so consistent but when on form he is aweseome.. Sol Cam' has a nasty habit of missing England friendlies through 'Injury'.
    Gary Neville - So experianced and combines well on the right with beckham, although I'm sure Carragher would do a fine job.
    Ashley Cole - Talked up as one of the best in the world, i'm not sure but rather him than Konchesky.
    Frank Lampard - If he and Gerrard can finally work together it could be THE best central midfield pairing.
    Steven Gerrard - see above
    David Beckham - He's the Captain, and in a dull match can scoop the ball into the net froma set piece.
    Joe Cole - Has made the left side his own, nice to have a 'technique' player in the squad, can turn games now that he's got his finishing sorted out.
    Wayne Rooney - Match winner.
    Michael Owen - I hope he's fit because Owen can pop up anywhere in the dullest of games and score a goal.

Chris Kirkland - Who else?
    David James (Arghhhhhhhhh!) - hmm.
    Jamie Carragher - So versitle he can fit in anywahere along the back four.
    Wayne Bridge - again better than Konchesky IMO.
    Ledley King - Can be a rock in defence or holding midfield.
    Michel Carrick - Passes the ball so well, not so hot on the tackling perhaps.
    Jermaine Jenas - Nasty player to play against, good movement off the ball and has goal poaching ability.
    Stewart Downing - He can dribble, cross and pass, if he's fit he's an 'unkown' to other teams. The next Beckham but better.
    Scott Parker - Works hard enough for two players, would be good if we need a dedicated holding mid.
    Jermaine Defoe - Makes things happen, hangs around with peter Pan.
    Dean Ashton - We need a big man upfront? I like Crouch but Ashton has sooooo much more than him, Ashton has the potential to be world class

Spurs have got half of the future (And some Current) England Squad... Paul Robinson, Dawson, Davenport, King, Carrick, Jenas, Lennon, Routledge and Defoe!

3. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm supporting England and Italy.

Can't wait for the World Cup, it's just an amazing few weeks.

4. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    I have the days off and I'm in the process of securing a steady supply of alcohol, it's going to be a great summer even if England don't do well.

5. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    My squad would look like this:

Scott Carson
    Luke Young
    Jamie Carragher
    John Terry
    Stephen Warnock
    David whatshisname
    Micheal Carrick
    Steven Gerrard
    Joe Cole
    Peter Crouch
    Robbie Fowler

Liverpooled up and Man United free :D Plus no break Alonso leg Lampard. [face_frustrated]

Ok, after that complete bias crap I just spewed up showing myself up to be an even bigger idiot, time to get serious.

Paul Robinson
    Gary Neville
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Jamie Carragher (Cole has hardly had a game all season, Carra will have to continue to fill in at left back)
    David Beckham
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Joe Cole
    Wayne Rooney
    Peter Crouch (Owen wont be fit, he needs at least 5 games under his belt for a place)

David James
    Robert Green
    Stephen Warnock
    Ledley King
    Luke Young
    Micheal Carrick
    Jermaine Jenas
    Stewart Downing
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Jermaine Defoe
    Darren Bent

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Keepers

Robinson
    James (Regrettably)
    Carson

Defense

Neville G
    Young
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole A
    Bridges
    Brown

Midfield

Beckham
    SWP
    Cole J
    Richardson
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    King
    Carrick

Forwards

Owen
    Rooney
    Defoe
    Bent

Starting line up

Robinson

Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Cole A

Beckham
    King
    Lampard
    Cole J

Rooney

Owen

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Warnock is way to inexperienced for the world cup but I can see where your coming from (one for the future perhaps)

It was a toss up between Brown and Carragher for me and I rate Brown just a little bit higher.

Owen will be going as will Ashley Cole unless their injuries are so severe they have no option but to be left out. Erikson has taken and foolishly played injured people before and he will certainly do it again.

Green I agree with but again it was a toss up between him and Carson (James has to go for his "Experience") and I think Carson is the better keeper.

8. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    :eek: You wouldn't have Carragher in your squad! He is like the best centre back in the Premiership! Liverpool would be nothing if they didn't have him throwing his self into every challenge and throwing himself at the ball to clear it!

Yeah Warnock isn't good enough for the world cup, but we don't really have any other left backs left after Cole. Theres Konchesky at West Ham but thats it I think.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    For me it's:
    GK - Paul Robinson
    DL - Ashley Cole
    DC - Jamie Carragher
    DC - John Terry
    DR- Gary Neville
    ML - Joe Cole
    MC - Steven Gerrard
    MR - David Beckham
    FC - Wayne Rooney
    FC- Michael Owen

We won't win though.

10. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Well if we only play with ten players we won't :p

11. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    Completely agree with that.

Crouch is useless and should be England's 7th or 8th choice striker. But just cos he plays for Liverpool he is the third choice! The squad needs to be WORLD CLASS, and Crouch is far from that.

12. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    We wouldn't win if we had 20 players. Brazil are far too good now-a-days. I doubt anyone can beat them at the moment.

13. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    I think we can but thats just me... p.s. you only put ten players on your list.

14. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, chuck in Lampard as well.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    England can win the World Cup, they have a good enough squad, and one of the best defenses in the World
    However, if the big teams are on from I think England will be overwhelmed and defeated.
    Holland & Spain have brilliant teams that could crush even Brazil when on top form, but they are very inconsistant & in-fighting often leads to then choosing a team or formation that deosn't always work.
    Brazil & Argentina have terrifying teams, and I think they might very well go the whole distance, I can't see many teams matching their abilities
    Germany IMO are too creaky to win it. Their only majorly great players are Ballack & Kahn & possibly one or 2 more, I can't see them winning.

The best England squad IMO (the best if players are all fit):

GK - Paul Robinson
    RB - Gary Neville
    CB - Rio Ferdinand
    CB - John Terry
    LB - Ashley Cole
    RM - David Beckham
    CM - Steven Gerrard
    CM - Frank Lampard
    LM - Joe Cole (possibly alternate with Downing since he's more suited to that position)
    ST - Wayne Rooney
    ST - Micheal Owen

Best team with current injuries:
    GK - Robinson
    RB - Neville
    CB - Ferdinand
    CB - Terry
    LB - Bridge (Carragher is good but he's not a wingback, so better to use someone qualified for that place)
    RM - Beckham
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Lampard
    LM - Cole/Downing
    ST - Rooney
    ST - Bent

Other players:

Strikers:
    Darren Bent
    Jermain Defoe
    Dean Ashton (or maybe Andrew Johnson from Crystal Palace)

Defenders:
    Jamie Carragher
    Wes Brown
    Luke Young
    Wayne Bridge

Midfielders:
    Stuart Downing
    Michael Carrick
    Kieran Richardson
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Scott parker

Goalkeepers:
    David James
    Chris Kirkland

Anyone got a team they think will be dark horse in the World Cup and has an outside chance of winning it?

16. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Serbia & Montenegro would be my bet to be a dark horse. If they got out of their group they would already have knocked out Argentina or Holland.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hmmmmm, I was thinking more of the Czech republic or the Swedes
    I don't know if the Serbs have the firepower to beat Holland or Argentina, although they supposedly have the world's best defense

18. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Ferdinand isn't as good as he used to be. Carragher is perhaps one of the most underrated players in the English team.

19. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Carragher is perhaps one of the most underrated players in the English team.

Completely agree with that, Carragher can play anywhere across the back four as well as having a better crack at the defensive midfielder role than Ferdinand did.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    King is better in midfield

Ferdinand is great, but he's very complacent and lazy these days
    It happens when players get overpaid for kicking a ball around, they think they're the bees knees

Carragher is good, but Sven will put Rio in

21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Ah, see I was going on who should be in the team, not who will be in the team. Sven should be given a kick in the yarbles.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    While I agree that Carragher is a good defender, there is just something about his style that I just don't like.

Limited on the ball technique but I'll agree he's fantastic with his timing of tackle (almost Baresi in his prime timing) but he just seems weak when on the ball and is a bit of a hoofer to me and I'd rather have defenders who are comfortable on the ball all the time.

Then again I'll be honest and I'll admit that I haven't really payed much attention to Liverpools defense so I will admit to basing my Carragher opinion on his capabilities a few years ago which were not that good IMO.

Crouch however should not be in the squad under any circumstances although I know he will go.

Even if he gets us the winner in the final he still has to go somewhere to prove to me that he is capable of playing consistantly at the level he's at. He's shown very brief glimpses but thats all they've been for me so far.

Mind you thats more than Heskey ever did.

23. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    Yep, he's rubbish. Sooooooo overrated. Darren Bent and Defoe are much better.

And yeah, Carragher is very good and somewhat underrated, aswell as Wes Brown, he consistently performs well for united.

24. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Darren Bent and Defoe are much better.

Better players yes, exactly the same as each other AND Owen? Yes. Thats the reason Crouch will be going (Shows the glaring weakness that Shearer left when he retired :(), if Owen is ineffective against a team there is no point putting on Defoe or Bent because the opposing defence will deal with them the same as they dealt with Owen. I was one of those that jumped to Crouch's defence but now I would prefer we take Ashton because he does everything that Crouch does but soooooo much better, he can use his head, he can finish with both feet and he can hold up the ball. Give him a go Sven, pleeeease (Perhaps for the next manager to do).

25. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    Please, all of you. Bow down before:

THE MAN WHO SHALL WIN ENGLAND THE WORLD CUP!

[image=http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00220/Peter_Crouch__Liver_220760s.gif]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.