main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The World Cup thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedi_Loon, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    still dont feel either side deserved it....but Glad Italy won.....

2. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    lol @ zidane

lol @ france

well done italy!! :D

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    People have moaned about Italy in the past for cheating and diving, but there's been no evidence of that this time.

France - Henry's diving and Zidane's behaviour
    Portugal - Say no more
    Germany - Hounding the Ref against Sweden.
    Italy - Some say a dive against Australia, but I'm not so sure. Happy to give benefit of doubt. Plus only 2 goals conceded. One an own goal, and the other a debatable penalty (although I agree with the penalty. There was contact and it threw his back foot)

Out of the last four, Italy deserved it. Justice.

And Zidane is a ****. I can't even begin to fathom why he did that. It wasn't even in the heat of the moment. He stopped, turned around, walked over to him and headbutted him!

4. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Wtf was Zidane doing? His last ever game of football and in the world cup final? I was supporting France till that, then I wanted Italy to win it. Complete stupidity by Zidane, I don't know what he was playing at.

Non the less entertaining and well done Italy!

5. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    It was certianly a dive against Australia, the player could of gone round but choose to go over and make it look like a foul. The best dive of the cup though.

Well done Italy

6. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    GET IN THERE ITALIA!!!!!

Zidane's moronic attack marred the game a bit, but the penelties were fabulous!!

Me and my dad wore our italy shirts today, did some good lol

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't want to make excuses for Zidane, but Materazzi must have said something awful indeed. After all, how many times do we hear that Zidane is one of the 'gentlemen' of football, graceful and composed, etc. It's a very sad day.

Well done to Italy I suppose for overcoming all their troubles. But when the dust has settled, they're going to have to come to terms with the horrific state of their domestic game...

8. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I have a feeling that Zidane will say Materazzi made a racial comment to him.

Either way Zidane is a total ****** for acting the way he did. How much more satisfying would it have been for Zidane to rub the world cup in Materazzi's face, instead of nutting him.

But there have been instances in the past of players claiming to have been racially attacked when they were not, Ian Wright and Peter Schmichael spring to mind, so even if Zidane does say he was racially abused, how can we believe him?

But what a way to go. World Cup winner, European Championship winner, Champions League winner but will now be remembered as the person who ended his career by probably costing France the World Cup and as someone who got sent off in front of 2 billion people for headbutting someone.

He could have been right up there will Pele and Maradone, but he's blown it now.

9. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Materazzi must have said something awful indeed

And? Footballers get abuse hurled at them all the time, and with a long career like Zidane's he must of encounterd it before, but he has never assulted anyone before.

No excuse, no matter what Materazzi said

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Perhaps he took a leaf out of the Italians' book and placed a large bet on him getting sent off. :p

You can see him him taking his armband off about 2 minutes before he actually got the card.

11. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Zidane's fantastic career ends in disgrace. Such a shame. There are no excuses for what basically was an assault- no matter what the Italian has said as I'm sure Zidane has heard it all through out his career.

Well done- the overall best team of the tournament I think, as they got stronger with each game and were never negative (well maybe a bit in the final but that can be forgiven) but they deserved it imo.

[image=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41867000/jpg/_41867246_canna1cup300.jpg]

(lol i've been sitting with post open for about nearly 20 minutes to get that pic!)

Gary Neville was France's best player tonite.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Nah, you got me there

13. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Where did I get you?

14. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I never thought I'd be gutted for the French.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    WJ: How can you be gutted for the French? They took 2 of their penalty takers off, and one of was quite rightly sent off?

TK: Er, the bit I quoted

16. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    [image=http://images.skysports.com/images/playerpics05_06/WorldCup2006/France/ribery_debut.jpg]

[image=http://www.youthcup.ch/youthcup_geschichte/img_manchester_50jahre/ManU_Neville_Gary.jpg]

17. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I am stunned to silence but happier than I have been in a while.

ITALY WORLD CHAMPIONS 2006 !!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] :D

By the way, i'm not glory hunting, i've supported Italy for years

I lost a lot of respect for Zidane this evening. How can a great player like him let that be his last action on a football pitch? I guess he just completely lost his head.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    On the contrary, I think he knew exactly where his head was :p

Gotcha TK

19. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    [image=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41867000/jpg/_41867250_italypa416.jpg]

And that's me.

20. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Good, I'm not the only player to think they look alike! :D

I have to say well done, Italy, but to be honest, and no matter how much I don't want to say it, France did play the better match. Still, out of the two, I wanted to see Italy win it over France, but whatever Marco Materazzi said to Zidane must have been harsh, but that was no way to react. It was the end of his career; he should have just walked away from it, and retained a little pride. However, after seeing what happened, he deserved to have got sent off for that headbutt.

All in all, I'd say it's been an interesting World Cup. The group stages, I thought were excellent, so were the final sixteen. The quarters, for all sides, I think were a bit silly, not just for Englands point of view, but I didn't think that any of the matches in that round were anything special. The semi's were okay, and the final, I thought was quite entertaining.

So, here's to Euro 2008!

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Hmmm...

22. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    1970 Italy lost final
    1981 Pope Died
    1982 Italy won final
    1994 Italy lost final
    2005 Pope Died
    2006 Italy win final

Kind of spooky

23. elbertino

elbertino Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2006
    coincidence? i think not...

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Congrats to Italy.

Although I'm still hoping their scandal teams are relegated so Man U can take advantage :p

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well done to Italy

A shame that Zidane ended his career in such a way. He should be remembered for the great player he is, not for the brute he made himself out to be at that moment

Was an eventful and entertaining tournament

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.