main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The World Cup

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I do not know all that much about Soccer/Football. I can see that we have quite a few fans of it around here.

Has anyone actually stayed awake to watch these games?

I see that England and the USA have won their first matches.

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Actually, our first game was against Sweeden, and we drew 1-1.

But today was a different matter, and we erased 4 years of hurt!

GO ENGLAND!

3. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Oops. Told you did I...Not knowing much about this.

I saw on the USA team we have a few non American born players/residents. I guess it is not like the Olympics.

4. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    That's funny. As far as I'm aware, FIFA won't let you play for a team unless you are born there, or have nationallity...

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As I said... I woke up bright and early to catch the England game at a bar here in Jersey City... working for a British bank gives me plenty of Brit coworkers to watch with... :)

6. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I watched the England/Argentina game this morning. Hope to catch the US's next one :) It's been a really interesting Cup so far, lots of unexpected wins/losses and other stuff. The defending champs, France, are in a world of trouble right now.

7. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I really hope they go out!

8. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Hey guys I can play for Saudi Arabia WHOOO HOOO ::looks at 8-0 loss:: on second thought...

Oh man I can't believe France is out, and that game with Argentina...Man I was underestimating England...

I guess I should be rooting for the US ALMOST ALL THE WAY WHOOOOOOO :)

9. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Saudi Arabia lost again yesterday Moe :( (although I'm sure you already know). Guess they're out too. Oh well. Who are you routing for now?

10. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I think that USA might go through to the next round, but if they do, I think they play Italy, and that will not be a pretty picture! :p

11. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    Hey atleast we lost like well...world class losers 8-0. There has not been a loss that bad since 20 years in the World Cup I read :) My family always roots for Brazil, but I am rooting for the US...up till the quarter finals anyway.
    By the way is it just me or is this World Cup the most shocking ever? Senegal and South Korea winning, France out what's going on? (This is my third World Cup)

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't know, but I think that Spain are going to go a long way this year. They are the only team I'd say that England would have a problem with if we go that far in the competition.

Germany might go far, but that's only because they are lucky in the groups they are in, and who they will have to play. I mean, chances are, they will have to play South Africa in the next stage, and I think they will be favourites to win that one...

I would really like to see Ireland go through. That would be great to see them, because they have become a strong team this past year. It would be a shame to see them knocked out of this early stage...

13. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Like I said in the NBA thread, I do not care who wins as long as Italy is eliminated early on. If they get to the finals, my neighborhood goes nuts.

14. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    No surprizes today.........

15. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    " I do not care who wins as long as Italy is eliminated early on."

Don't let Dana hear you say that, she'll go ape at you! :p

Anyhoo, I found out the other day that when England played, SIX MILLION people took the day off work to go see the match! That's a tenth of the population! God, I bet it was quiet on the streets that day!

And on other fronts, Japan beat Russia, and have gone top of the table in Group H. That's pretty impressive. I would have expected Russia to clinch that one...

Anyway, here are the tables so far (first figure is matches played, the second is points)...

GROUP A
    Denmark 2 4
    Senegal 2 4
    Uruguay 2 1
    France 2 1

GROUP B

Spain 2 6
    S Africa 2 4
    Paraguay 2 1
    Slovenia 2 0

GROUP C
    Brazil 2 6
    C Rica 2 4
    Turkey 2 1
    China 2 0

GROUP D
    S Korea 1 3
    USA 1 3
    Portugal 1 0
    Poland 1 0

GROUP E
    Germany 2 4
    Cameroon 2 4
    Rep of Ire 2 2
    S Arabia 2 0

GROUP F
    Sweden 2 4
    England 2 4
    Argentina 2 3
    Nigeria 2 0

GROUP G
    Mexico 2 6
    Italy 2 3
    Croatia 2 3
    Ecuador 2 0

GROUP H
    Japan 2 4
    Russia 2 3
    Belgium 1 1
    Tunisia 1 0

So, everything is pretty much hotting up. This is going to be very exciting...

EDIT: I just read this in the News of the World (Our main Sunday newspaper)...

BRITAIN woke up to the hangover of the century yesterday in the wake of the World Cup win over Argentina.

Heads pounded across the land after rejoicing Brits downed 60 MILLION pints in an all-day celebration.

As Becks' lunchtime penalty sunk the Argies?watched by an official TV viewing audience of 17 million?stunned breweries were struggling to keep pubs supplied with beer and lager.

Bass Breweries' Stuart Cain said: "We had cases of reps putting barrels in their cars and rushing out to pubs.

"With the Jubilee as well it has been an incredible week and we are now stocking up for the Nigeria game on Wednesday."

The celebrations were much the same in English centres throughout the world-including the Falklands where locals were delirious with joy.

But back in the UK yesterday morning it was chemists taking the strain as millions of bleary-eyed soccer fans reached for hangover remedies and headache pills.

Boots spokeswoman Colette Blanchfield said: "We have seen much stronger sales than normal of hangover remedies."

16. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    "exciting" that is an understatement if I ever heard one...try "Holy flying monkeys crazy!!!"

Japan beat Russia 1:0 Amazing stuff...Go underdogs!!!!!

17. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Did anyone see the video of the riot in Russia?

18. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    No, I missed that one... Now you know what we English put up with! :p

Anyway, FRANCE ARE OUT! Yay! Ireland, Denmark, Germany, and Senegal are though to the next round!

If England win against Nigeria tonight, and Sweeden lose or draw, then we will fight Senagal for the quarter final spot. That would be more benifical to us, because if Sweeden win tonight, then we will play Denmark, who are not unbeatable, but are pretty tough.

This is getting interesting...

19. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Yay Ireland! They're the second team I'm routing for ;) hehehe

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Whose the first team your rooting for?

21. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    USA :) Although USA, England or Ireland would all be choices of mine to do well :)

22. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't see America going that far. If they do manage to make it through, which in my mind they will, they will most like face Mexico, and they are a tough team.

23. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Sorry I should rephrase that...I should have said USA, England and Ireland are all teams I'm ROUTING for to do well. I don't see the US going further than the 2nd round, if they make it *crosses fingers*

Yeah, Mexico is tough, we've played them alot. We usually lose...LOL.

24. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm rOOting for Brazil because I have always donet it but also the US Of A because they are pretty cool and surprized me...

My friend is rOOting for Italy and it is pretty funny because she is the only girl in class that actually likes football...

25. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    You do know that it looks like Italy will be playing the USA in the next round. Looks like you might have to get your priorites straight on that day, Moe! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.