main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The World Cup

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Interesting...but it is obvious that the US(oh please) is going to win so it makes little difference...
    Guess I should start betting my money on Sebulba, I mean the US....
    My friend will have to wallow in grief alone...MUAAHHHAAA

Edit-You saw the the article in Time magazine titled: "Why the U.S. Football team is no longer a World Cup punch line"...belch..damn straight!
    (the idiots wrote soccer...)

2. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    Well, I have to say that the US still have their work cut out to get a result (i.e. at least a draw) against Poland.

Granted, Poland haven't had the best of tournaments (actually, quite a shockingly bad one), but must still be favourites to beat the US. I'd back Portugal to beat Korea and Korea to take second place in the group above the US after they (the US) lose to Poland.

I know I might be being a little pessimistic but it's just the way I think it'll pan out. Don't get me wrong, the US have had a good tournament after the fantastic 3-2 win over Portugal but should have booked their place in round two with a win over Korea - it's unfortunate they conceided a goal two minutes from the end to force a 1-1 draw.

I'd love to see the US do well, but there's only one team that's going to win it and that's England - even after the disapointing 0-0 draw with Nigeria. We should beat Denmark, and by that time should be firing on all cylinders to beat Brazil in the quarters.

Then again, maybe that's just blind patriotism...

3. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    What is the deal with Argentina?

How about England vs. Nigeria huh? Don't you think England just gave up? I mean not wanting Nigeria to score...hey, I think that they could have won if they had risked it...

4. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Well said, Tom.

Although, I would count your chickens just yet. Denmark have shown time after time that they can be stubborn enough to win at the last minute, and especially since England has a nasty habit of conceding goals in the last 15 minutes of a game, they have to watch themselves.

It's going to be a hard fought match, and I predict a 2-1 win to England in extra time.

5. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree that Denmark will be no pushover. That will be one of the best games of the Cup I think. Right now I'm just hoping the US can draw or beat Poland *fingers crossed*. I really don't think they'll get much further (because Mexico and Italy await in the next round), but I'd like to see them at least get into the 2nd round, just so they have some pride...LOL.

What really surprises me is the absence of the Netherlands this year. Although I think they were in the same qualifying group as Ireland.

6. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, it would have been REALLY interesting if the Dutch were in there.

7. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    Moe:

We didn't push on to score because it would have been exactly what you said: a risk.

Yes, we could have pushed for a win but if we'd've conceided a goal and lost, we would have been out. It was better to play for the draw and guarantee a second round place, not to mention not risk injuries and tiredness. It was 94 degrees out there - why tire yourself out when a draw's enough? It's a long old tournament and to win it we need all our players in tip-top condition. It was a good job professionally done.

8. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Mark was telling me yesterday that the conditions in Osaka were horrible. Apparently the stadium that they will face Denmark in will be more suitable to our own climate, thus making the England team able to work harder.

Well, depending on todays Group D matches, the US team will have some stiff opposition in the next round. If the USA win against Poland today, and Korea draw or lose against Portugal, then America will be group leaders and face Italy in the next round. If America draw or lose against Poland, but Korea win or draw against Portugal, you will face Mexico.

If Poland win, and Portugal scrapes a draw with Korea, then it will go on goal difference, and America might be knocked out.

It's looking tough, and it will all depend on what happens in the other game.

Anyway, so far, the second round looks like this...

Germany v Paraguay.
    Denmark v England.
    Sweeden v Senagal.
    Spain v Ireland.
    Mexico v (Runners up of Group D)
    Brazil v (Runners up of Group H)
    (Winner of Group H) v Turkey.
    (Winner of Group D) v Italy.

At least, at the end of today we will know who is playing who, and will have a fair chance of guessing who will be in the final.

9. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    If we make it through, either Mexico OR Italy will prove tough for us I think. I'd just like to see the US get to the 2nd round :) Then if they get knocked out, at least they made it one step further...hehe.

10. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    One step closer to nowhere... :p

11. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    "why tire yourself out when a draw's enough?"
    Yea, I guess so.

Hey if the US had lost their second match I would still be happy, I mean it is still better than last time...NO?

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I was working it out this morning, that if England keep going through to the final stages, our biggest opponents would be Brazil and Sweden.

Oh, for the love of God, why do we always play Sweden. This is like, our fifth game against them in a year, and it always ends up in a drawn game! :p

13. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Italy won today in their match vs. Mexico and guess what........

Yup, my neighborhood went nuts. Horns honking, people cheaering. It looked like something out of either the GODFATER 2 or THE GODFATHER 3.
    And this isnt even the title, just imagine if they do win.

:D

John

14. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    GODFATER? I don't believe I've seen that film...

Anyway, I don't think that Italy will go much further. I think they are running out of steam.

15. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Damn fat fingers

LOL

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Italy did not win, they tied I thought?
    Regardless the tie allowed both them and Mexico to advance...

Tomorrow. 7:25 am. USA. U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!

:D

17. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    Oh, great while I am in school! I can ask my teacher to let me go to the library to check the game...unlikely though :(

18. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm leaving for school and POLAND IS UP WITH TWO GOALS.......WAKE UP US!

19. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Yeah I think they pretty much shot themselves in the foot. If Korea and Portugal see that score, they can cruise to a 0-0 draw and both make it through.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted :(

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Holy poop on a stick! You Americans have no idea how LUCKY you guys are to go through to the next round. I've just come back from watching the US/Poland match, and you guys played bad, REALLY BAD! I mean, effing abysmal!

Looking at todays performance, you really do not deserve to go through to the next round, but still, credit must be given; you have made it, so look ahead.

It was weird; Mark and I were watching it in the common area with about 20 other people, watching both games similtaneously - One TV had ABC on, while the other had ESPN2, and I have to say, that South Korea/Portugal match was a great game. I can't believe that the Portugese were brought down to 9 men. They played dirty. That one red card was well deserved. That was a VERY nasty tackle. Very harsh. He deserved to be sent off for that.

If I were an American, I'd find the nearest Korean this morning, and givem them a hug, because you should really thank them!

21. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    YESSSSS!!! It should be National "Kiss a Korean" Day! LOL. Holy cow was that a stroke of pure luck or what?? Hey Ninja...easy on the US bashing there...LOL :) Although you're right, they did play pretty badly today *sigh* Mexico is probably licking their chops right now...LOL

Go USA, Ireland and England! Wooo hoooo!!

22. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I didn't intend it as a bashing contest...Shall we put it down to overstating the obvious? :p

Best of luck, anyway!

23. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    I was only teasing ya Ninja ;) They were bloody awful today...LOL. Here's hoping they won't get pasted TOO badly by our southern neighbor :)

24. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    ?If I were an American, I'd find the nearest Korean this morning, and givem them a hug,?
    OH SOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!

Happy Ninja I will join you in saying that not only did we play bad but we sucked absolute bottom! I mean come on two goals in the FIRST FIVE MINUTES! WERE THEY STILL DRUNK FROM THE PREVIOUS PARTY? Those two goals just hovered over the team and their performance was definitely affected by the early lead.

OH KOREA TAKE IT EASY ON US :) But really I have got great respect for Korea, I did not expect them and I did underestimate them?although it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they tied...NAH!

25. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    MEXICO 0 : 2 UNITED STATES

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    NOW I AM COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.