main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Worlds first look...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBane77, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Below are the original trailers to each of the films.

Interesting to note, other than the odd voice-overs, and musical scores, is the lack of color in the lightsabers in the first trailer for Star Wars, and the fact that much of the footage has no music, and little sound effects. They also used the original shot footage from the Cantina(download the full footage at the bottom of this post) instead of the later, udated footage. Also, Wuher the bartender is not yet voiced-over.

In the Empire Strikes back trailers 2 and 3, there is a shot of C-3PO riping off a sticker on the Wampa cage in Rebel base, a scene that was ultimately cut from the final release. This originally would have been set up as a trap, then a later shot would show the Snowtroopers opening the gate and being torn to shreds.

In the Revenge of the Jedi trailer, Luke's lightsaber is blue. This was before it was edited due to the color not showing up well against the sand in the background.

Star Wars trailer 1

Star Wars trailer 2

The Empire Strikes Back trailer 1

The Empire Strikes Back trailer 2

The Empire Strikes Back trailer 3

REVENGE of the Jedi trailer

Return of the Jedi trailer

Here is the original Cantina footage:

Cantina

From T'bone's site:

George Lucas was unhappy with the first cantina shoot and eventually had some new creatures made, rebuilt the set and reshot it a second time but without the principle actors. You can see a few aliens in this cut that didn't make it into the final edit plus lots of other little details.

Also note that this footage includes Han's first girl - Jenny.

-Bane

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    those links are all to the same page, and none are videos.

3. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    They are all videos. Right click and save as.

Run your curser over the links. They are AVI files.

Play them on Real One

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, I found all that very interesting indeed. I have all the original trailers on VHS along with the Holiday Special and it's great stuff. I get a kick out of the cheesy lines from the orginal ANH one. The line, "A story about a boy, a girl and a galaxy."

Another cut scene you may notice in the Revenge of the Jedi one is a profile shot of Wedge flying into the superstructure of the Death Star. Neat stuff...

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'd seen them before, but good summary nonetheless.

6. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Yeah, it seems trailers used to be just random shots thrown together. Doesn't look like much time was spent on them at all. Does anyone at what point the trailer became a big time thing? What movie was the first to have a top rate, exciting trailer?

I heard there is some old guy (can't remember his name) who is credited as being the father of modern movie trailers.

7. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I was actually quite impressed by the first ANH trailer except for the voice over! I thought that was cool! The music that was used over it was great aswell, does anyone know what it is called, I may use it in my fanfilms trailer ;).

Owen ;)

8. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Hrm, when I click them it takes me to an HTML page, when I right click them and save as it saves as an HTML document.

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Nice find indeed.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention that awesome longer shot of the Falcon spinning towards the camera in the ROTJ teaser.

11. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

Hey!

Thanks for the link with the original cantina footage.

That was really interesting to watch. :)

12. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks for the link, that was some great stuff. The original SW trailer just weirded me out.

13. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Do they expect us to pay good money to see that crap?

14. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Those trailers were great. They help to remind us the movies were created 25 years ago! Things have changed.

15. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    No offense, but Real Player sux!

My fav is Harrison Ford doing the ESB trailer voice over...

"THE EEEMPIIRE STRIKES BAAAACK!!!!"

LOL

16. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Hey, my players won't work with it. None of them. Says they're missing the codecs. It gets the sound but no picture. Can anyone help me with this problem?

17. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Get Video Lan Client -
    www.videolan.org/

it ownz!

18. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I got it to work, nevermind. :) Very interesting footage. The cut scenes intrigue me the most.
    The Cantina footage reveals how "rough" Star Wars was in it's early stages and how people could've reacted so negatively to the film. If I had saw it for the first time like that with no sound effects work and cut like it was, I would've said it was weird at best. Just shows the work that must go into these movies to make them work.
    The Biggs stuff just adds layers to Luke's character and are actually pretty good scenes. I wouldn't mind them ending up in the FINAL version of the saga. It would definitely make those scenes with Biggs that are included in the SE make more sense.
    The trailers harken back to a day when the trailer was definitely not the most important selling tool to a film and it shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.