main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Worlds of CJ Cherryh

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by ShrunkenJedi, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    CJ may well be my favorite author out there for her well-thought-out and intelligent science fiction worlds and characters. I never feel like it's just a book-- it's so real. I've read Cyteen, Downbelow Station, Hammerfall, Forge of Heaven, and a book of her short stories... I've got the Foreigner books to read next, though. Please tell me someone else here has read these!

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I have a trilogy-in-one-book that looks pretty interesting, but I haven't found time to read it yet.

3. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hmmm... my opinion would be that you should do that ;)

Which does it contain. might I ask?

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The Faded Sun Trilogy, I think.

5. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Heh, I haven't had the pleasure of reading those yet. I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

6. PICTURETHIS

PICTURETHIS Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    My all time favorite is The Sword of Tree and Jewels. You might like this. I certainly did.

7. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, PICTURETHIS. I'll keep that in mind. :)

I did take the time to look it up-- Tree of Sword and Jewels-- and sounds interesting. I've so far been reading just her science fiction and not her fantasy, as sci-fi is my main interest, although I certainly do enjoy selected pure fantsy works, of which this might be one. You might enjoy reading some of her science fiction yourself :)

BTW, NYCitygirl, I remembered I did pick up the Faded Sun trilogy recently and am going to start it right now :)

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :D Then I'll start, too. We can compare notes :)

9. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Currently on page 28... I usually read faster, but I've also got schoolwork :p

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I don't have school today, so I'll try to start it :) You're giving me motivation to read it :D

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    And you, to me. :D

Up to page 116 now... interesting :D

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :D

I'm still at 30 pages 8-}

It's a little weird so far. The beginning was hard, because I didn't really understand all the titles and relationships. I like Sten, though. The bit where he accidently ran into the mri kel was interesting :) I'm excited :D

13. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    I agree. :D One of my favorite parts of novels like this is figuring out the new worlds.

Is it just me, though, or do the Mri seem a bit too much like stereotypical old-time Arabs?

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    It's not just you. NOw that I think about it, they're a ot alike, with a little bit of samauri Japanese mixed in.

I feel so bad for Niun's cousin and sister!!! And I don't like the gand mother person at all. Maybe because most of the stuff about her so far is from Niun's perspective, but what she does doesn't always make a whole lot of sense.

15. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Yeah... :)

I'm getting the feeling that the "grandmother"'s perspective has some justification, but I'm not sure what at this point...

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    It seems like the typical 'edler is wiser, young one isn't told the whole plan' but I still don't like her :(

17. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    True enough... heh...

I've got up to chapter 19 now. Some interesting things just happened in the previous chapter...

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm still on 13 or 14. Glad Niun's growing up, but I really want to know why the mri bonded themselves to the regul in the first place.

19. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    It seems to me that they bartered their skills as warriors in return for Regul providing them with food, shelter and the like... but I could be wrong.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hmm . . .

I'm also kinda confused about what exactly is their homeworld . . . but I'm WAY excited for when they meet Duncan!!! It back cover of my copy says that he's sworn to fight with them against the humans . . .

21. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Yeah... I hate blurbs that give away plot :mad:

'Tis good :)

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I finished the first book [face_dancing] I've had to take a break to read some books that are due back at the library, but hopefully I can start the second one this weekend :)

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh, cool. I've put it down for a while, but I am a bit into the second book. I kinda have a heavy courseload this semester :p

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You guys have gotten into something great. I think Cherryh does her best work when she gets to describe alien races and cultures. I had a suggestion for a novella of hers you could try after Faded Sun that has a similar feel, but the anem is escaping me. I'll go find it, and tell you next time I post.

Anyway, when you guys are done, I'd be happy to discuss. But I don't want to spoil anyone, so yeah.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You can discuss the first book with us ;) And ShrunkenJedi has read more than this :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.