main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI The Worst Lists

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Qonas, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Well, an idea came up last night and I think it'd be cool. All credit goes to Todd & Christine, heh. So in the same spirit as our gaming nights, we'd have "Worst List" nights. Each night would be a separate genre, such as sci-fi or horror, and we'd bring in the best example of the worst in that genre that we've ever seen. These could be different nights from the meetings, or added on to the end if there's tight schedules that month. What do you guys think?

2. Gold-Five

Gold-Five Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2004
    Well as the initiator of this insane idea, I'd like to submit two nominees. I think maybe as a ground rule the movie or TV show should as least try to take itself seriously. I'm not sure that "made-to-order" bad movies/spoofs/etc. should count (eg. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes). So...

In the category of Science Fiction/Fantasy television show or series I would like to submit "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne". Never have I seen such a great premise ruined so thoroughly. High definition video and special effects with great set design cancelled out by poor dialogue and bizarre, almost hallucinogenic storylines.

In the category of Science Fiction/Fantasy film, I would have to submit "Liquid Sky". I saw this film at college during their sci-fi film festival. I have been scarred ever since. I'm not sure if I can describe this except that it seemed to involve a pair of New Wave/Punk androgynous brother/sister twins and some sort of tiny alien that killed people during sex and heavy drug use.

Any other takers? Feel free to make up a category if you wish, this is for fun after all.

3. CTATigger

CTATigger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Really bad, cheesy 80's sci-fi movie "Nightflyers" starring Michael Praed (who was really wonderful in Robin of Sherwood).
    For just plain bad--like never ever want to watch it again, please, I'll be good--"End of Days" with Arnold S.
    Of course, there is always the Star Wars Christmas Special:)

4. zhansolo

zhansolo Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2008
    Well, I'm not sure how anyone else feels about Tom Cruise but I thought War of the Worlds was absolutely the worst "so-called" sci-fi movie ever. Maybe originals shouldn't be remade. Second place goes to Battlefield Earth. If they remade that one into a comedy, maybe it would gross more money. Cast Tim Allen, Martin Lawrence and Jim Carrey. I smell a winner!

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Toxie 4 was so bad that I never want to see it again. "The Island of Dr. Moreau" with Val Kilmer, Marlon Brando and Mini Me was terrible. I saw that in the theatre in Hawai'i and wanted my money back when it was over. "Batman and Robin" was cringe-worthy, and I adore George Clooney.

This is hard for me to pick as I'm sooooo picky anyway. ;)

6. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    Battle Beyond the Stars, Staring John Boy Walton (AKA Richard Thomas)

7. Neutron_Force_45

Neutron_Force_45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2004
    dito with my guy [face_whistling]

8. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    No more posts, please. We're trying to beat your post count. :)

9. CTATigger

Sep 29, 2004
    Well that shouldn't be hard to do since this group is DEAD!:(

10. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    sorry to hear that, was hopeful that there were still some
    Jedi Council / FanForce, Star Wars fans out there in Detroit:)

11. CTATigger

Sep 29, 2004
    There are fans here. We just can't seem to get any kind of get together going. Basically, if you are not a costumer, you are not invited to any of the 501st or RL gatherings and the costuming folks are too busy to get together with those of us who don't costume or who only costume on a casual basis.
    I suggested a group get-together to go see the new Indy movie and wondered if anyone would want to do a group outing to see the new animated SW movie but there has been no response whatsoever.
    Sad, because we used to have a lot of fun getting together at our meetings and at each others houses to watch movies and play games and just hang out.

12. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I see.....

Well, my quest is to be upbeat and positive the best that I can for all:)

The hardest part of posting here at this time,

is that with almost every click,

a pop-up box asking me to sign into

www.r2-detroit.com

keeps.....uh.....er....popping up[face_laugh]

If someone can defeat that, and/or a visitors thread were started,
    well

who knows:)

MT

13. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I agree!! I mean, I'm all for Detroit Stanley Cup Backgrounds and the like.. but I like them best when I can see them =)

And yes.. there was much fun here, though my days were like.. many years ago! EEK!

14. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm all for getting together again, but it seems every time a date is worked out, I have my kids on that weekend! I have them every other weekend, so I usually have a couple weekends out of the month open.

I can also do weekdays, if I'm in town.

and I agree with you Christine, it hasn't been the same since our leadership got so involved with the costuming side of things.

Anyway, hopefully, maybe we can get something going......

15. Neutron_Force_45

Neutron_Force_45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.