main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Writers' Guild

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Update on the Scummy Writing Front: I hate English papers.

-The Scummy-

2. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    I know the feeling, believe me. [:D]

3. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    So how goes the writing-status for all of you guys?

-The Scummy-

4. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    Good...been working on my trio of novels-in-works. I'd never envisioned myself writing about a Canadian wearing a Mobile Infantry uniform dancing to "YMCA..."

5. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Update on the Nemesis Writing Front: English coursework is quite fun to start with and then gets kind of wearing.

Similar to Scummy's problems, methinks [face_plain]

It's fun to stay at the YMCA!

And this Canadian is in your novel because . . ?

6. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    He's the main character's best friend.

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  8. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
  9. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    Im having some troubles working out a part of my novel, its so depressing

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I know what you mean.

Is there too much you could do and can't decide OR is there too little you can do and are trying to find something?

11. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    One week until the contest results are out :D That's certainly something to cheer about, even if we've all got terminal writer's block, unreasonable amounts of work, insomnia-induced headaches and RSI :p

12. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    Imagine living on a planet with a blue star for a sun...
    Imagine a planet with 419 moons...

13. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Imagine a planet with 419 moons...

A gas giant, ten times the size of Jupiter, with four hundred moons that hang all around it like some kind of cosmic necklace. Some of them are no more than captured asteroids, the size of a shuttle; others are full-fledged worlds in their own right.

On those moons, sunrise is a minor event next to the awe-inspiring spectacle of planetrise - the sight of the long, shining arc of the parent world rising from the horizon until half the sky is filled by it.

Against the moon they stand on, the fragile human colonies are barely noticeable; against the looming gas giant, even the Earth-sized moons appear tiny. Every day a world that could easily swallow Earth ten thousand times hangs in the sky, a giant, relentless eye intent on every movement the colonists make.

It is no wonder that barely one-hundredth of all those to visit the moons of 107 Piscium IV have come back sane. And that is of those who have come back at all.

14. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    Ooohh...very good, there. Now, about that blue sun...

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I just finished writing a 5-page, 1600 word short story for my s/f class! :)

16. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    The thing that always struck James was Aeara's size. Every time he exited altspace (close to the planet, as was his custom), the monstrous planet would race to completely fill the viewscreen with its seemingly infinite expanse of green, blue, white, brown--every colour one could possibly imagine. He could crane his neck to the breaking point and still see nothing but Aeara. No wonder why the only other planet colonized in Section Nine was Mastering. The HAMF colonization brass had everything they needed right here.

And then some.

Surprisingly, Aeara only had about two dozen major cities, the largest of which being Oceanside. The infinite interior plains of the planet probably concealed millions of small farming villages. In any case, about a hundred-fifteen million people called Aeara home; barely enough to give the planet a population density of two people per square kilometer.

17. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    *pops head back into thread* Hi, long time no see. Well, my old story is a crash and burn, I got one going called The Carrier, it's running very smoothly. How goes the others that you all are writing?

The Hooded One

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Since I hang out in SSF a bit, I thought I'd come in and introduce myself :) I'm Nat :) I write on the fanfic boards here, and I'm taking a creative writing class. I'm the Slytherin Head Prefect in this rounmd of the JC House Cup game, so I'm going to be writing Harry Potter fanfic (a bit, at least) for that. I'd like to write fantasy, but right nolw I don't have the time (or the patience :p ).

19. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Anybody know if there is a way to copy a screenplay into Writing.com and maintain the proper screenplay format? Copy/Paste seems to result in everything getting messed up.

20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I feel your pain. I wish I could help. :(

21. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    Hello nat. :)

And sorry andalite, no idea.

-The Scummy-

22. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello and welcome Nat!

Andalite: no idea, sorry :(

The mysterious emptiness of the planet - when a fleet of colony ships could have solved Sections One and Two's overpopulation problems overnight - had never been fully explained by the government. The usual excuse was simply that Section Nine was remote, and even taking the speed of altspace travel into account a ponderous colony vessel would take weeks to make the journey.

On the other hand, there
    were colonies here, and there was no reason why the trip could not be made again. No obvious reason.

Once, on a rare visit to the First Sector where he had been born, James had been in a Miran café when a group of white-robed Homeward Bounders had chosen that particular bit of street in which to set up their soapboxes and hold forth to all and sundry on the evils of space travel and the moral necessity of returning to Earth.

Afterwards, James had picked up one of their leaflets out of sheer boredom, and had been about to throw it in the recycler when a word caught his eye.

Aeara.

The superplanet received little attention, but, as James read on, it became clear that the Homeward Bounders were particularly agitated by it. Something about its 'unnatural' size - far too big for a rocky, Earthlike planet - coupled with its thin population. The Bounders' leaflet also cited the numbers of unexplained drive failures in Aeara orbit, and this
    had worried him: the figure was almost five times what he would expect.

Still, it had never bothered him overmuch until now.

Until his own displays began to flash red, the gravity monitor whipping up and down feverishly, and the main screen flashed up its stark message.

Drive failure. Detonation expected minus sixty seconds.

23. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    good news is I worked my way out of the hole i was in with my novel. Its not my greatest writing, but ill fix it in rewriting. Also its incredibly hard to be doing more than one project at a time,both novel lenght, with all the other crap Ive got going on right now.

24. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Well, I haven't been able to get Writing.com to accept proper script format, but I have been able to space one out to a readable format.

http://www2.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086217

This is the current draft of a short film that I intend to shoot in April. The concept is also the basis of a feature film I am about to start writing and potentially shoot next year. It's about zombies! I'm going to edit it a bit more before I start pre-production.

I'm also right now working on a first draft for a short film that takes place in the modern era but with an alternate past, so things are kind of reversed now. It's called "Reversal of Fortunes" and it centers around a guy who finds out that his friend has joined with a Christian extremist terrorist group and intends to travel the United Democratic States of Arabia to carry out a suicide bombing attack. I might upload the first draft in a bit, but remember, it's a first draft, and you know what they say about first drafts.

Edit: And here it is: http://www2.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086317

25. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Well, I've written a couple of scenes from my story, but haven't come as far as a complete chapter. Still haven't figured out enough of what is going to happen in between the interesting scenes.

Btw, does anyone have any tips for describing a subwaystation from the point of view of someone who's never seen or heard about one before? It just sounds silly when I try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.