main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Writer's Lounge~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by KnightWriter, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps a bit of the theater person in you (honestly asking)?

2. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
  3. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I could post a link to where my stuff is posted, I would love feed back!

Shaden *^_^*

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Ariana, I know you like drama work, so I was wondering if some of the same elements (the ideas, directing them and such) carry over to writing.

5. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Post it! Post it!

6. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    *smiles* Ok, I will as soon as fanfiction.net stops being a brat.

If ya wanna take a look at it yourself with out a link, go to fanfiction.net and when you search authors search for "Haruko" I'm Haruko Blue, just don't search for that cause you'll get all the authors with Haruko in their name and Blue in their name. . . Its a big pain in the butt.

Shaden *^_^*

7. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Ah. Yes, it probably does have the same elements I like with acting -- the organizing of a character is really very similar to organizing an essay.

And I have 1 thing of www.fanfiction.com. Just type in "Ariana Lang" and you should get the crappiest story of all time -- my prose based on the poem "The Highway Man." I hate it, but it won a local contest. ::shrug:: I think there must have been like 3 contestants or something

8. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I agree that #3 can be a tricky rule to follow sometimes. I keep thinking, "I've said 'said' too many times now! Isn't there another word?"

Well, you can do what Hemingway did. He seldom used "he said" or "she said" at all; instead, he would let lines of dialogue stand by itself.

So, a regular writer would approach dialogue like this:

The girl looked at the bead curtain. "They've painted something on it," she said. "What does it say?"
    "Anis del Toro," said the man. "It's a drink."
    "Could we try it?" asked the woman. "It's four reales."
    "We want two Anis del Toro," said the man to the waitress.
    "With water?"
    "Do you want it with water?" the man asked curiously.

Hemingway, however, would write the same interchange differently:

The girl looked at the bead curtain. "They've painted something on it," she said. "What does it say?"
    "Anis del Toro. It's a drink."
    "Could we try it?"
    The man called "Listen" through the curtain. The woman came out from the bar.
    "Four reales."
    "We want two Anis del Toro."
    "With water?"
    "Do you want it with water?"

I think Hemingway's method is more conducive to creating quick, realistic interchanges of dialogue. Also, he doesn't bog down the conversation with multiple "he said" or "she said" sentence endings. Very efficient and very effective.

9. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    Ariana, I read your "The Highwayman" story and thought it was excellent. Stop putting yourself down, young lady!

I have one fanfiction on the JC boards, two half-finished novels, and a boatload of bad poetry clogging up my computer and my desk.

10. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Ahhh...I think everyone here has an unfinished novel of some sorts. I know I do. 55 pages in two years....bit sad, really (stupid school, getting in the way...grr..). Luckily, I have the entire thing planned out, as well as most of the sequel. I'm hoping to make it a trilogy, and I'll probably throw in one prequel just for the heck of it.

11. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    I wrote a short story last night, based on a telephone discussion I had with my cousin. He was thinking about what would ever happen if he met...well, that would give it away, but here it is. It's from a guy's point of view (I'm female) and it was created at midnight last night, so improvements can be made. Please tell me what you think.

"An Angel"

Over the years, I had learned that pretty, charming girls did not share the same interests as me. The female sex in general seemed to have a widespread disgust of those things that I enjoyed: video and computer games that involved shooting everyone, automobile mechanics, comic books, war movies, 4-wheeling, etc.

One of my hobbies in particular, though, turned women off the most: my pure, unadultered love of George Lucas's "Star Wars" films. I owned every movie, had read every single book and comic imaginable, and had plastered the walls of my bedroom with posters depicting my favorite character: Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Anakin/Vader, Leia the foxy babe, and the newest hottie, Padmé. I would have put pictures throughout my apartment of those two chicks, but my roommate Steve didn't share my view of the Star Wars saga.

"Have you lost it?" he asked me when I originally informed him of my fanatic standing. "Those movies are for kids. Get over it and come back to reality."

I insisted on not returning to his ideal of "normal." I wore my best Star Wars shirt the next day, the one with Leia in a gold bikini on it. Mysteriously, it disappeared a few days later and I haven't seen it since.

At CalArts, I was working hard to get a degree in film production. To help pay for my schooling (and partially to save myself from going insane) I got a part-time job at my local movie theater. I was that lucky guy who checks everyone's tickets and prevents idiotic kids from sneaking into R-rated movies. After two years on the job, I realized that most of the dorks who tried to get into movies they weren't old enough to see were spiky-haired preteen boys with nasty mouths. An adult was a welcome sight, because the theater seemed to be over-run with baggy pants-wearing adolescents.

I was at work one day, stopping pair after pair of 12-year-old boys trying to creep in to see "Insomnia" when she appeared. Short and petite, she walked up to me with a sad look in her sweet brown eyes.

"Excuse me, sir, but have you seen a blond young man about 6 foot come in to see 'The Sum of All Fears'?"

I shook my head no. "I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anyone like that come in." Her bottom lip started to quiver, so I decided to continue the conversation. "Is there any way I can help you?"

The girl smoothed her wavy ponytail, and while she thought I was relieved to remember that I was actually dressed nice today. Last casual day I had worn a shirt saying "Damn, I'm sexy today!" that an old girlfriend had given me, and I had received many disdainful glares from young ladies that day. I smoothed my blue (new!) American Eagle shirt, and tried not to stare at her somehow familar face.

"I was supposed to meet a guy here for a movie about 10 minutes ago, but he hasn't shown up," she said softly. "I've probably missed it now, haven't I?"

I quickly glanced at my watch. "Actually, the previews before "Sum of All Fears" take about 13 minutes to play. You probably have 3 minutes before it starts to get a seat and all. That shouldn't be too hard, because not many people have bought tickets for the 1:45 show."

"Thank you so much," she answered, showing white teeth in a smile that made my heart pound. "I'm Natalie. Could you show me which room the movie is showing in?"

I looked at her stunning, makeup-free face, and decided to ask her a fateful question which had caused many women to curse at me and walk away. "I'm Ryan, and it'll be no problem. Do you mind if I ask if I can join you? I get a break about now, and I'm sure my manager won't mind if I take an hour and an half off."

Oddly enough, she kept smiling and nodded. "

12. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    I'm surrealist. In fact, I'm probably writing the only surreal autobiography ever. I'm also writing a science-fantasy type novel.

13. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    In fact, I'm probably writing the only surreal autobiography ever.

That sounds very interesting! What a unique way to approach an autobiography.

14. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    DarthYama: that sounds cool! I hope you can post part of it or something.

I'm reworking my first novel, a sci-fi story. I have plans for a second novel, a fantasy one, and I'm also working on more stories that take place where my first novel, Prelude to Rebellion, left off.

Here's some essay tips I've learned:
    1) When writing an essay, try not to use the word "I." For example, when writing your conclusion don't say
    I believe that cloning should be allowed...
    If you have to say something about your own opinion, try to use the words "the author." But if you can help it, don't use first person at all.

2) Make many rough drafts, and hand them out to people who have no knowledge of your topic. Ask their advice of things that you can improve. It usually helps a lot.

3) Don't just rely on the computer's spellcheck to make sure that your essay's spelling and grammar is correct. Give it to somehow who you know is good with that kind of thing, and let them check it over. Sometimes they'll find mistakes that you and the computer combined didn't catch.

4) If you're allowed to pick your own topic to write about, pick something that really interests you. If you're writing an essay on soccer and you don't like that sport, if all possible CHANGE your topic. It will be a lot easier writing if its on a topic you enjoy.

Oh yeah, also wrote up a better summary of my first novel. It sounds like the back cover of a book, but I don't care.

Prelude to Rebellion

In a system pervaded by ancient caste systems and political deceit, the Tomoran Special Intelligence holds the true power. The 9-member Planetary Council has become simply a figurehead, easily manipulated and full of corruption. When two young pilots with the Tomoran Planetary Navy discover the SI's invasion plans for the Maedienan system, Ilania Ariadne and Lark Throlln know that they must warn the Maedienans, no matter the cost.

While on a reconnaissance mission in the Maedienan System, Ilania crashes near the capital city, hoping to convince their Defense Fleet of the upcoming danger. But few of the Maedienans regard her as other than a spy; General Túrin Gage, Captain Mairead Thana, field operative Cale Helki, and Dr. Kevan Thana appear to be the only ones who believe her warnings.

Meanwhile, Lark returns to Tomora and spreads the news of Ilania's "death." She finds herself quickly pitted against a foe she cannot defeat: SI High Investigator Arin Ariadne, Ilania's brother. Imprisoned under false manslaughter and treason charges, Lark is placed in a SI maximum security facility. Escape seems impossible, yet she finds an unlikely ally. Nysa Sarai Enuyuex is a 16-year-old hacker with the knowledge of numerous military secrets, but also a potential way of escape.

Will Ilania be able to secure the trust of the Maedienans? Will Lark be able to escape from her current hell?

15. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002

Quote:

3) Don't just rely on the computer's spellcheck to make sure that your essay's spelling and grammar is correct. Give it to somehow who you know is good with that kind of thing, and let them check it over. Sometimes they'll find mistakes that you and the computer combined didn't catch.
    [hr]
    [/blockquote]

That is so true. :) I stopped relying on the spell checker after I got a couple of papers back using [i]only[/i] the spell checker. Needless to say, I got a lot of spelling/grammar marks on it. [face_blush]

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I use Word as just a starting point. It'll identify the obvious errors (along with some that aren't errors at all), and then it's up to me to look more closely. The only reliable spelling and grammar checker is the person at the computer.

17. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    I have written some stories, but they're mostly about vampires. I love the supernatural. I have wrote: Deception (which is about 9 pages long, The Mute of Sadness (which was about 21 chapters long, but I lost it and don't have another copy of it, so I'm going to have to write it all over again by memory and I wrote this story about 9 years ago. :_|), The Story of Cataluna (you can read this one of my website The Story of Cataluna) I have two more, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head; one is about 20 pages long and the other was about 22 pages long.

I was also wondering if I should put all my stories on my webpage, where people can read them. Please give me some insight. :)

18. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    ok heres the link to my stuff

Shaden's Writings

Please do tell me what you think!

Shaden *^_^*

19. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I just came across a little poem I wrote in 8th grade about the Boston Tea Party :) ... just thought you might like it ...

There once was a king filled with anger and greed
    Who ruled our great land of free speech and free creed.
    He ruled the land over such a vast sea
    By taxing the people's own sugar and tea.
    Over the ocean he sent hordes of troops
    To control the colonies' protesting groups.
    Bloodshed and massacre is what they would see
    When faced with the Sons of Liberty.

After this in America nothing was well,
    For to the crown five Yankees had fell.
    So the Sons of Liberty constructed a plot,
    They planned a great protest and selected a spot.
    "This will show them," the men did think,
    "After all of this tea does sink."
    Instead of engaging in a brawl or a fight,
    They dumped tea into the harbor one night.

And the old greedy king did not like the sound
    Of what his royal soldiers and sentries had found.
    "They dumped our precious tea on the sea floor?
    What do they want? To start a war?"
    So the king sent more soldiers dressed in red coats
    Over the ocean in squadrons of boats.
    The sights of red foot soldiers and grenadiers
    Confirmed the colonists' most fearful of fears.

But that old foolish king had no way to see
    That the protest was over more than just tea.
    In fact, the colonists were uniting as one,
    And not one of them was about to run.
    Like Ben Franklin, Samuel Adams, and Paul Revere,
    None of the colonists had anything to fear.
    That old greedy king was about to see
    Just how revolutionary a war could be.

Hehe, just thought it was clever :)

20. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    Amidala_wannabe, that's a cool website, I didn't know there was one like that. Thanks.

21. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Ah, what a good thread :).

I love writing. I think I express myself best through the written word. I enjoy doing research papers and novels. I have learned that the key to make a good paper lies in making the thesis as clear as possible. It helps me avoid getting trapped in the research literature I usually have to read.

So far I have written one novel and two reviews of CDs. One of these reviews was published last year and I hope the second one will be too this summer. I like the format of reviews because it suits my language. I use words in such a way that it gets very intense and emotional. A novel represents a problem in this regard for it cannot always have this feeling.

My coming projects include editing my first novel and making a sequel. But first I think I will start with a long fantasy story. This novel (probably novels) will be set during a time era similar to the middle ages in Europe. The place will also be loosely based on Europe during the 13th and 14th Century. I have made the prolouge and now I think I will do the necessary background information. Names of countries, characters and their stories etc. It will be time consuming but much fun. :)

22. DarthSnuggles1121

Apr 28, 2002
    Emilsson, I know the feeling of creating a new world to play in. It's wonderful, which is probably why I love thinking up ideas for my little story. I've thought up names of countries, wildlife, some historic tidbits, I even made a detailed map once.

Oh man, this history....that was one of the toughest parts for me. I had to think up a connection to my world and Earth, as well as connections between the inhabitants, because I've integrated Earth's history with my world's history. Simply put, there's Egyptians, Romans, and Mongols in my strange little world. I'd explain further, but I don't want to bore anyone. ;)

23. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    No, go on. It sounds like what I'm doing. I have French, English and Germans involved in my world. I have just prepared the map and now I'm doing an outline of what I call the shadow people. They're nomads who live all across the nation. I intend to make a detailed description of their religion and beliefs now.

24. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I love doing things like that! I created this society that is futuristic in its techonology but almost like the ancient Japanese in it's society and classes and things like that...I had so much fun building the society to place my characters in, but then couldn't think of anything to do with it. So I basically just followed around this one person for a few days so I could discover more about my society. Not a great story, but very very fun to do. I loved the oxymoronic society I had created.

25. DarthSnuggles1121

Apr 28, 2002
    Sounds cool Emilsson. :) And well, if you insist...I'll just take an exert from the actual story...

"Well, I'm not sure how to explain everything, so I'll start at the beginning.

"Ever since the dawn of time, there has been magic; and ever since the beginning of life there have been dragons to harness that magic. Sometime during the pre-historic era of Earth, when the dragons were already old, they decided to create a world parallel to their own. They called this world Vyrna, which means New Realm in draconic tongue. On that planet, the magic was wild and untamed, creating many different creatures over time. They included the elves, demons, dwarves, goblins, and many more. But, the most important race on Vyrna were the human-wizards, who were essentially humans created by early magic.

"No one really knows how the human-wizards were spawned; the most popular theory suggests that the dragons brought humans from Earth and gave them magical capabilities, though not even the dragons really know for sure how they came about on Vyrna. Actually, it is said that all humans have magic within them, if they know where to look. All we know is that, after less than a thousand years, the human-wizards became the most respected and feared creatures in the New Realm. They interacted peacefully with the elves, who, at the time, held magic as well. Later on, not long before farming became widespread in the Nile River Valley, many of the human-wizards started crossing over to Earth to settle down with their families in areas all through Asia, Europe, parts of Africa, and even in Central America. There, they basically followed the same path that they had on Vyrna; they intermarried with the nearby civilizations and became both loved and feared by their people. Over time, the human-wizards accepted Earth as their home instead of Vyrna and, as a whole, they decided to settle down permanently here and offer their assistance to the developing empires across the ancient world. In western Europe, these enchanters were the ancestors of the Druids; to the south in Egypt, they became religious priests and advisors to the pharaohs; in eastern Asia, they helped China and Japan discover sophisticated technologies and fighting techniques that would help shape their future empires; to the Greco-Roman world, they contributed as oracles or wise governing advisors, and as priests.

"As for the dragons, though they had always held human-wizards with great respect, they had usually considered non-magical humans to be nothing more than primitive farmers. But, after witnessing several centuries of superior advances in science and warfare, as well as the formation of powerful empires, they were persuaded by the human-wizards to assist the growing population of several individual tribes. For hundreds of years, there was stability among the magical creatures and the humans of Earth. Then the Prophecy came.

"The Prophecy was foretold by the dragon-oracles, dragons who could tell the future. It spoke of many gruesome wars between the empires of future Earth, as well as the downfall of almost all of the once prosperous civilizations that had existed at that time. But, most importantly, it told how magic would somehow be involved in the end of human life on Earth. Fearing the demise of the peoples that they had come to love and protect over the centuries, the dragons and their human counter-parts decided it would be best to eliminate all remnants of magic in the Old Realm. So, from around 2000 B.C. to the early A.D. 1300s, all creatures pertaining to magic traveled from Earth to Vyrna, taking with them members of ten important tribes of their time."

At this point, James interrupted her. "How did they decide what they were going to do about this Prophecy?"

"Well," she explained. "Every fifty years, the magical community held something of a meeting to solve any disputes, questions, or problems that might have come up. Every wizard and dragon was expected to attend if they could."

"Where did they manage to hold so many

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.