main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Writings of Christopher Paolini-The Inheritance Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by LordNeo, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    Okay droideka27 approved this

I enjoyed both books very much, and cant wait for the third next year I believe, correct me if im wrong.

also Ive heard about the movie and am looking forward to that as well

any other fans out there?

Discuss :)

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I liked the books as well. My sister was reading Eragon, and I just loved the cover. I read Eldest as soon as it was released. The series is fun and the characters are cool. The only objection i have is that Arya is pronounced weird :p (right Song of ice and fire fans? :p)

3. LordNeo

May 13, 2004
    Ar-ee-uh

lol, it is weird

4. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Well i defintiely prefer the pronounciation of Ar-ya. I like the bond between dragon and rider. Plus, i like that the dragons are good. Good smart dragons are much more interesting than stupid beasts.

5. LordNeo

May 13, 2004
    oh, well, the official webisite has a pronunciation and It has an audio so you can hear it, and I hear Ar-ee-uh, I may be wrong [face_thinking]

I also like that the dragon is good, but I hope that the next book is gonna have some bad ones, of course there will be Galbatorix's black dragon [face_devil]

6. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I also enjoy the books, they are very high quality. I liked murtagh, cant belive he went with Galbotrix.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    they are very high quality.

Oh, I beg to differ.

8. Eire

Eire Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    If you said that Eragorn is high quality what would you say about Tolkien or le Guin? I can read books witch or wichout the sense, but I can't read it. I read every book 2 times(in Polish and in English) and I still don't know what is it about. After every page I'm under the impression that I had read it before...

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Yeah i was surprised with the Murtag story stuff as well.

oh, well, the official webisite has a pronunciation and It has an audio so you can hear it, and I hear Ar-ee-uh, I may be wrong

Oh, no, you're right, i was just being incoherent :p In the Song of Fire and Ice books, there is an Arya character as well and ehr name is pronounced Ar-ya. I was just saying i prefer that prnounciation over the one the author of Eragon intended.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I like Murtagh, but I didn't enjoy the books too much, especally the second one. During it, and especally at the end, Eragon seemed a lot like Gary Stu. It seemed too much that Eragon was the only hope of the world and no one else would make a difference.

But my friend sat me down and told me everything that happened before he lent me his copy of the book, so nothing was really a surprise 8-}

11. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    It seemed too much that Eragon was the only hope of the world and no one else would make a difference.

But that's the way it always is in these hero stories! :p

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I know, but it was too much. I mean, he was only fifteen.

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    And how old is Luke? Nineteen? He's the only one who can save the galaxy, with the awesome powers he inherited from his father?

Facetiousness aside, I think part of the problems might come from the fact that we want characters who are startingly different from the others--but most main heroes are archtypes, and as such, are young, idealistic, and endued with powers that they don't quite understand. Throw in some old mentor guy, a bad guy, a sidekick, and there you go! You've got the beginnings of a plot.

The freshness must come from something else within the story--sometimes from within the archtypes as well. I love these stories!

The only thing that disappointed me was that I figured out the suprise in the end of Eldest long before it was revealed, and it made me mad before I even knew that that was it. Same thing happened when I figured out who the Half-Blood Prince was in HBP.

14. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I want to get to reading this with the film of Eragon due out by the end of the year. I've read LOTR, HP and Narnia, so I'll be picking this one up.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And how old is Luke? Nineteen? He's the only one who can save the galaxy, with the awesome powers he inherited from his father?

Yes, but he had help. He needed Han and Chewie when he was taking down the first Death Star, and Obi-Wan was the one who got them off Tatooine and shut down the Death Star shield generator, and distracted Vader . . . Eragon just seems to do it all on his own.

And yes, the heros all seem to be the same type. And there's usually a pretty girl and an aging mentor in the mix, and sometimes there's a sidekick . . .

16. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    A Hero of a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell. No matter what the location is, no matter who the characters are it is same story and journey.

17. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm a huge fan of the Inheritance Trilogy, since Eragon came out. It is definatly a fresh new fantasy, that is totally unique. I have Eldest, but I haven't been able to finish reading it yet. I was also fortunate enough to get a autographed copy of Eldest, I found it at Target of all places.

18. Sarabi

Sarabi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    I love his books! Do any of you know when the movie is out? For those of you who read Eldest, I never guessed about Murtagh!

19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    A Hero of a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell. No matter what the location is, no matter who the characters are it is same story and journey.

Ah true dat, I agree... But!

Paolini is in no way creative or original in any aspect with putting a new spin on the story. He himself has stated that when he began writing this story, he set out to create a simple, straightforward Hero Journey.

Sarabi: the movie is slated for a December '06 release, IIRC.

20. Sarabi

Sarabi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Well, the story itself may not be original, but the characters and his style of writing are.

21. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I also never saw the betrayel by murtagh. Do you think he will be turned back( as all hero books do) or dop you think he will stay with Galbatorix? He would make a interesting bad-guy lieteneant.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't think it was a total switch. I think that he's b eig forced to be evil (why else would he have run from Galbatorix in the first place?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.